Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

It's a classic, but I honestly have no idea how well it holds up, and $10 seems a little steep when Il-2 Sturmovik is available for the same price on the same service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Pandaman posted:

So is the Red Baron series genuinely good? I think my most favourite flight game was Knights of the Sky for the good old Amiga. there's just something nice about flying those old WW1 planes.

Red Baron 1 is still really fun to play and has tons of historical scenarios to go through, as well as a non-linear campaign for both Allies and Axis. However, it came out back in 1990 so it's probably worth waiting for a price drop because $9.99 is ridiculous. Never played Red Baron 3D, unfortunately.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://www.gog.com/en/page/dotemu_promo/

Robinson's Requiem!

Man, I remember playing that as a kid (after getting it in PC Gamer), not knowing what to do, dying lots, then using the cheat they gave you that provided you with every item but also made every single internal organ haemorrhage.

Good times.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Ansob. posted:

http://www.gog.com/en/page/dotemu_promo/

Robinson's Requiem!

Man, I remember playing that as a kid (after getting it in PC Gamer), not knowing what to do, dying lots, then using the cheat they gave you that provided you with every item but also made every single internal organ haemorrhage.

Good times.

What's your guys take on this pack?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Grawl posted:

What's your guys take on this pack?

They're... not exactly the best games (Ishar in particular), but Robinson's Requiem offers a brand of survival gameplay that you don't really find anywhere else, and the Ishar games at least have somewhat interesting mechanics involving how the characters in your party interact.

Basically, it's nothing to get really excited about, but for the price it might be worth checking out if the games' systems interest you and you're okay with lovely interfaces.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

You can shoot your way through Commandos by simply setting up a choke point and waiting for enemies do charge in a straight line. The fun in the game is executing your plan perfectly which does require trial and error but if you ever get frustrated understand that taking the action route isn't necessarily suicide.

Also, it's practically an instant win if you can sneak the driver into a tank. Very few enemies carry anti armor weapons.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Heads up, this week's Hidden Gem is Earth 2150. I heard good things about it back in the day, anyone ready to offer their thoughts?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Nanpa posted:

Heads up, this week's Hidden Gem is Earth 2150. I heard good things about it back in the day, anyone ready to offer their thoughts?
I bought it earlier by recommendation from this very thread. The UI was pretty unpleasant, it put me off and I never really played much of it as a result. I suppose there's probably a good game underneath that.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Mobile Forces is out now for $5.99. OP's all updated as usual.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Woebin posted:

I bought it earlier by recommendation from this very thread. The UI was pretty unpleasant, it put me off and I never really played much of it as a result. I suppose there's probably a good game underneath that.

It's a great game. The UI's kind of crappy, but I really don't know why you'd put the game off just for that.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Magnificent Quiver posted:

It's a great game. The UI's kind of crappy, but I really don't know why you'd put the game off just for that.
I'm honestly bad enough at RTS games without the UI making it harder for me. Also I had Warzone 2100 installed too, so I just went back to that. I'll probably give Earth 2150 another chance at some point, but the UI really bothered me a lot.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
So I guess the downloads are broken right now? All I get is a page with a URL, which I copy and pasted, and it worked once, but I hit the wrong thing, so when I did it again, I got a 403 Forbidden.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Woebin posted:

I'm honestly bad enough at RTS games without the UI making it harder for me. Also I had Warzone 2100 installed too, so I just went back to that. I'll probably give Earth 2150 another chance at some point, but the UI really bothered me a lot.

As far as building stuff and moving units around goes, I really don't understand what the interface makes hard about that. Most of the advanced stuff you don't need to bother with. What specifically did you have problems doing?

The only part that's kind of tricky is remembering to mine all the resources you can and send them back to your base at the end of most missions

Oh and I guess you can quit once levels start making you tunnel, I know I almost did until I just looked up a walkthrough. The other levels made up for it though.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Placebo posted:

So I guess the downloads are broken right now? All I get is a page with a URL, which I copy and pasted, and it worked once, but I hit the wrong thing, so when I did it again, I got a 403 Forbidden.

Yea, I cant download anything at all either.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
realms of arkania 3 is released for $6. Word of advice for this game: read the manual.

ALso, it's being LP'ed right now over HERE.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Charlie Mopps posted:

realms of arkania 3 is released for $6. Word of advice for this game: read the manual.

ALso, it's being LP'ed right now over HERE.

Just like everybody else: I remember dying in this game from just making my party rest without a blanket. Needless to say I'm going to be play the hell out of the series now that all three are up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a solid beginner's guide for the Realms of Arkania series? I made a party (after like 2 hours of rolling) with the help of some character creation guides, but then I got plunked down in the middle of a giant city with a billion houses and I have no idea what to do.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Magnificent Quiver posted:

As far as building stuff and moving units around goes, I really don't understand what the interface makes hard about that. Most of the advanced stuff you don't need to bother with. What specifically did you have problems doing?

The only part that's kind of tricky is remembering to mine all the resources you can and send them back to your base at the end of most missions

Oh and I guess you can quit once levels start making you tunnel, I know I almost did until I just looked up a walkthrough. The other levels made up for it though.
I mostly had issues with the camera, as far as I recall. I really didn't play it for long right then, so I don't remember exactly and obviously my opinion of the game isn't necessarily worth anything as a result of that. I also sort of expected it to be more like Warzone 2100.

Anyway, I will give the game another shot, obviously there's a reason for why it gets recommended.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Weekend Promo: Both Ground Control games for $8.38. A new promo system is also in place. Just click checkout now on the promo page!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a solid beginner's guide for the Realms of Arkania series? I made a party (after like 2 hours of rolling) with the help of some character creation guides, but then I got plunked down in the middle of a giant city with a billion houses and I have no idea what to do.

Head to market (right click to be automatically taken there) to stock up (don't forget blankets!), visit the taverns, listen to rumors, then explore the city until an event happens that begins the story quest.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Patrician 1 and 2 released today for $5.99.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

And 30% of off the Jowood catalogue.

Including Gothic 2, Painkiller and Spellforce.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

So I finally got around to playing some of the many games I got from that buy one get one sale they had for Interplay games, and I learned the hard way that Messiah suuuucks. The only way I could get it to run was to change my desktop resolution to much lower. And once I got in game, things werent much better gameplay wise. All in all, it was only 3 bucks, so whatever.

On the other hand, I also got MDK as part of that sale, and gosh darn if it isnt some of the best fun I have had in a long time. Its silly, its kinda simple, but darn if the levels arent unique and if the gameplay isnt fun as heck. I totally love the parachute that pops out when you double jump too. That being said, it took a bit of wrangling to get the controls to be useable, but after that it was just a lot of fun.

I really love this site, and I just wish I had more cash to spend, because I had never heard of 90% of the games available before. The only real downside is that every single review is so tainted with nostalgia that the minimum number of stars for any game seems to be 4, making it hard to really judge if a game is worth getting before trying it yourself.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Welp, time to finally buy Painkiller. Although lord knows when I'll have time to play it :(

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

And 30% of off the Jowood catalogue.

Including Gothic 2, Painkiller and Spellforce.

It looks like it doesn't include Gothic 1 which is a jowood game :(.

vv well that's surprising. I just want a Gothic 1 and 2 duo combo sale.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 20, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

It looks like it doesn't include Gothic 1 which is a jowood game :(.

Aaaaactually, Gothic 1 wasn't published by JoWood :nerd:

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Definitely going to get The Guild and Gothic 2, and considering Painkiller since I loved Serious Sam. Does Painkiller have co-op? Also is Panzer Elite good or crappy? I love realistic wargames entirely too much.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Painkiller regrettably does not have co-op, but BUY IT ANYWAY. Possibly the best gaming decision you will ever make.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Commandos 2 + 3 was just released as a pack for $9,99.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I am so confused by Painkiller. I just finished the third level, apparently didnt unlock the card but i was like eh, whatever. I return to the level select screen, are all levels locked besides the very first one. :psyduck:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Charlie Mopps posted:

I am so confused by Painkiller. I just finished the third level, apparently didnt unlock the card but i was like eh, whatever. I return to the level select screen, are all levels locked besides the very first one. :psyduck:

Happened to me too. Seems to be a glitch. I played through again and it hasn't happened since.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

Never had that happen to me before. Reload an auto save or exit the current level back to the map screen and see if it fixes itself.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
holy poo poo, Realms of Arkania is the most accessible hardcore RPG ive played yet, someone should be taking notes

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Dark Fall: The Journal was released today. Haven't heard of it, but Metacritic says it's an average adventure game.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Awesome. Hopefully they can follow this up by somehow (spirits and wizardry, most likely) releasing Amber: Journeys Beyond, I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream or maybe even The Dark Eye. Man, I want some really scary adventure games on my netbook :allears:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Whalley posted:

Awesome. Hopefully they can follow this up by somehow (spirits and wizardry, most likely) releasing Amber: Journeys Beyond, I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream or maybe even The Dark Eye. Man, I want some really scary adventure games on my netbook :allears:

Someone, somewhere, needs to figure out the rights clusterfuck of the TSR Gold Box games. The first legit game service to do that gets my money on day one.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

FLX posted:

Dark Fall: The Journal was released today. Haven't heard of it, but Metacritic says it's an average adventure game.

If that's the original one, it has a cool atmosphere but the ending is really, really lame.

The puzzles aren't too crazy either.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

From GOG's Twitter:

"Some great announcements coming up on the site in the next few weeks/months! This press release I'm writing now... drool."

I hope with all my heart that this is related to the rumored Planescape: Torment rerelease.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Divine Divinity is now in the store for $6 and Beyond Divinity is on the coming soon list at $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL SATAN
Apr 26, 2007

Eating puppies and giving guns to the poor since 1842
gently caress yes, I've wanted to play Divine Divinity for so long. I love you, GOG.