Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Longpig posted:

I'm 7 days past ovulation and my chart looks really promising - temperatures have been really high the past two mornings. It's getting hard not to get my hopes up again...!

I have my fingers crossed for you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Longpig posted:

I'm 7 days past ovulation and my chart looks really promising - temperatures have been really high the past two mornings. It's getting hard not to get my hopes up again...!

Good luck!

Got my TSH, T3 and T4 tested again yesterday and should have results sometime today. My TSH was 6.0 last time, but T3 and T4 were within normal limits, so I'm not too terribly worried about this. I may not even need medication if I'm hypothyroid, from what I've been reading (would perhaps be considered sub-clinical hypothyroidism). I'm still a little nervous but hopeful that it will turn out to be okay so I can get on with the baby-making.

Also, as long and horrible as my last period was (not to mention the month-plus delay), I really wonder if it's possible that I had a miscarriage. Is it possible for the egg to implant and then do nothing (which would explain the delayed period and negative hcg)?

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Got my results back and everything is normal this time, hooray! Not sure exactly what happened the last time, but everything is fine now. I was really skeptical of the previous results, and thankfully with good cause. I am so relieved.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Ma_NiC posted:

Got my results back and everything is normal this time, hooray! Not sure exactly what happened the last time, but everything is fine now. I was really skeptical of the previous results, and thankfully with good cause. I am so relieved.

Hooray! Now on to the spawning! :D

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Ma_NiC posted:

Sweet!! That is great news!

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Hi everyone.

We've been trying since February with no success. We were sort of haphazard about it at first, but now my husband sees it as some kind of personal affront that he can't get me pregnant :) Doesn't help that everyone we know has gotten pregnant and had their kids. We'll probably wait until the year's passed before seeking out any kind of medical advice, but it's still a little frustrating.

Oh, and I'm stressed right now because I took a pregnancy test two days ago and it was faintly positive (the little line was there, but pretty light). But I've been having cramps off and on all day :( and my period is due anytime. I just don't really have anyone I can talk to about this because it's too early to get excited or depressed either way. So I'll tell you guys. Thanks for listening.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Hopefully things will work out for you, slowfoot. I've heard it's pretty common to have PMS symptoms around the time you should be getting your period, even if you are pregnant.

I'm having more menstrual issues. I bled and bled and bled for 7 days after skipping my period for over a month, and thought I was done with the whole bleeding thing for now. I've had some spotting the past few days, which should be my fertile days if my cycle is back on track (apparently not). I've read that some women do occasionally bleed when they ovulate, but I've never had this happen before. Is it just my body being totally wacky after being off track, or what? There's only blood when I wipe (bright red, not brown), so I'm not bleeding a whole lot, just enough to be concerning. Right before I started spotting, I was having some lower left abdominal pain (not excruciating pain, but it hurt enough to stop me in my tracks for a moment), and it quit after I spotted. I haven't had any pain since the spotting first started. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

slowfoot posted:

Hi everyone.

We've been trying since February with no success. We were sort of haphazard about it at first, but now my husband sees it as some kind of personal affront that he can't get me pregnant :) Doesn't help that everyone we know has gotten pregnant and had their kids. We'll probably wait until the year's passed before seeking out any kind of medical advice, but it's still a little frustrating.

Oh, and I'm stressed right now because I took a pregnancy test two days ago and it was faintly positive (the little line was there, but pretty light). But I've been having cramps off and on all day :( and my period is due anytime. I just don't really have anyone I can talk to about this because it's too early to get excited or depressed either way. So I'll tell you guys. Thanks for listening.

I hope it turns out to be a positive pregnancy! If it's the blue line kind, those are notorious for being idiotic, so if you don't get your period soon and you want to try another one, go all out and buy one of the digital ones that says "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant." No chance for errors there. :)

If you're not pregnant, you might want to consider charting your ovulation. "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is an amazing book, and gives you some awesome tools to use to figure out when you're most fertile. I was planning on charting my cycle as well as using ovulation test strips, but my husband and I got supremely lucky and got pregnant the first time around from using ovu strips alone. But I imagine when we're ready to try for #2 we'll do full on charting.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Go team uterus, I'm pregnant again! :D

I tested yesterday and got a very depressing negative (it was on a digital so not ambiguous at all)... but then my temperature was still super high this morning so I tested with early morning pee and bam, there it is.

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

Longpig posted:

I tested yesterday and got a very depressing negative (it was on a digital so not ambiguous at all)... but then my temperature was still super high this morning so I tested with early morning pee and bam, there it is.

Yay! Congrats! :D

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Longpig posted:

Woo!! Congrats, Longpig! :D

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
'Grats, longpig! So happy for you that it happened so quickly for you :)

yumemiru
Sep 1, 2006
ikitai yo kimi no machi
grats Longpig! :)

Another negative this month, but eh not giving up yet!

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Congrats!

I'm pregnant :) so I guess I'll have to move on to the 'knocked up' thread.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hooray Longpig & slowfoot!

I am just finishing up my first period since my D&C (I am so freaking regular, it started exactly 28 days after the procedure), so we'll be trying again this month. My period this time around was super light. Anyone else that has had a D&C - did your periods change afterward? I kept bracing myself for a heavy flow day like usual, but it just never came. I only had to use a couple regular flow tampons (the rest were light flow). Usually I have a couple days where nothing but supers will do.

We've got company that's going to be in town while I'm ovulating, so I guess we'll just have to do some quiet baby-making.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

slowfoot posted:

Congrats!

Wooo! Congrats! I still post in both threads ;)

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Chickalicious posted:

I am just finishing up my first period since my D&C (I am so freaking regular, it started exactly 28 days after the procedure), so we'll be trying again this month. My period this time around was super light. Anyone else that has had a D&C - did your periods change afterward? I kept bracing myself for a heavy flow day like usual, but it just never came. I only had to use a couple regular flow tampons (the rest were light flow). Usually I have a couple days where nothing but supers will do.

We've got company that's going to be in town while I'm ovulating, so I guess we'll just have to do some quiet baby-making.

My mom had a D&C back in the day. Not for miscarriage, but for her extraordinarily painful and heavy periods. It lightened her flow for a few months, but went back to being heavy and painful again.

Good luck this month!

Congrats slowfoot!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Chickalicious posted:

Mine definitely changed, for the weirder... My first period after the D&C I got a medium flow for 3 days or so, then it seemed to stop, but a day later it came back and I had light flow tapering off to spotting for another couple of days. Psych out! It continued to be like that every cycle since...

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

slowfoot posted:

Congrats!

Yeah! High five! :v:

Thanks everybody!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Hooray Longpig and slowfoot!!!

My first period after my D&C was pretty light, but it was back to normal after that.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Awesome news, you guys :)

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Good_Vs_Evil posted:

So my wife and I are now trying to conceive after 6.5 years of being together. Her periods have always been wonky but now she's on day 43 of not getting her period (we've been trying for about two to three weeks now) and she purchased the book everyone recommended (which has been immensely helpful so thank you to all of you!). However, that book has made her think that in those 43 days, she hasn't ovulated once despite what ovulation calendars have made her think.

She's still testing negative for pregnancy, but from what I've read here, that could mean she's either not pregnant, or pregnant and one of those people that could not show positive until the 8th week. I suppose the ultimate answer is, "maybe".

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you up to this point for what has been an enormously helpful thread and congratulate those of you who have move on to the pregnancy thread.

I have a feeling It'll be a while before I can graduate to that thread.

I'm also trying to convince her to create an account here so that she can talk first hand about what's going on.

Women's bodies are strange.

I am the aforementioned wife. Two days after my husband posted this I got my period, so I started charting my first full cycle then. It is so exciting to know how to read the signs of what the heck is going on in my body since I have always had very wonky cycles (between 20 and 44 days). I want to thank everyone in this thread for suggesting Taking Charge of Your Fertility and for nifty knowledge all around.

Due to charting I know I ovulated a few days ago so now it's just a waiting game to see if I'm pregnant. It's only our first full cycle trying to conceive so I don't expect I will be pregnant but I can't help being hopeful.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Right on! Glad you posted in here, and I'm really glad to hear TCOYF has shed some light for you! That book is a freaking godsend for anyone who doesn't have absolutely regular, spot on periods and ovulation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!! PS, I did get pregnant the first time around trying after learning about testing for ovulation, so it can happen. :)

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Chickalicious posted:

I didn't have a D&C, but my first period after my miscarriage was super light and weird, and sounds exactly like you described yours. But I got pregnant with my daughter later that month, so good luck!!

And congrats slowfoot! Longpig, I said congrats in the other thread, but congrats again. :)

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Just to update. I am not pregnant. Expected I wouldn't be, but hoped I would be. But could it be a regular period that announced my not-being-pregnant status? No, of course not. Instead of my normal period of feeling womanly and earth-mothery, my body must pretend I am nurturing a growing ninja star inside my uterus. I'm not one to get cramps (so much so that a few years ago I had this weird pain which I described to my boyfriend, now husband, and had HIM tell ME they were menstrual cramps) so imagine my confusion and surprise at this unexpected new pain. I actually thought there might be something seriously wrong, but waited it out and told myself it was practice for labor pains.

So last cycle length? 44 days. This past cycle length? 26 days. Hurray!

I do have a question though, about charting using FAM.
So, I was charting along and on day 14 I noticed a possible temperature shift. The previous six days had temperatures between 96.7 and 96.9, then it shot up to 97.2. I had the wettest cervical fluid on day 13. Now, this falls in the FAM guidelines as 97.2 would be 2/10ths above the coverline, but the next day my temperature dropped to 97.1, then 96.9, then 97, then a serious shift up to 97.5, followed by consistently high temperatures. So was the 97.2 temperature shift the real one, or was the 97.5 the real one? After day 13 I only saw dry days and sticky/gummy cervical fluid. I'm slightly worried because if the temperature shift was the 97.5 one, then my luteal phase is too short, and I would like to know that sooner rather than later. So, thoughts/ideas about what could be going on would be greatly appreciated.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What sort of thermometer are you using?

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

A Digital Rite Aid thermometer. I was using a different one for the last ten days of the previous cycle (when I started charting) but wasn't sure of it's accuracy, so I got a new one. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and our little Rite Aid is rather pathetic and only had two thermometer options.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

A Digital Rite Aid thermometer. I was using a different one for the last ten days of the previous cycle (when I started charting) but wasn't sure of it's accuracy, so I got a new one. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and our little Rite Aid is rather pathetic and only had two thermometer options.

When I first started monitoring my temp. I was using a digital basal thermometer, but it wasn't reading my temperature very well. I would take it and get one reading and take it again and get a grossly different reading. Its possible your having issues like I was. I switched to one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Basal-Thermometer-Mercury-Temperature/dp/B000KIOB98/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1257974049&sr=8-5

and I measure my temp by holding it under my armpit for 15- 20 minutes. If you sleep breathing through your mouth, it can affect your temp when you take it. My charts use to be all over the place and as soon as I switched to this method, they've been pretty solid.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

My temperature doesn't change when I retake it (but maybe it's just a consistently crappy thermometer), and my husband tells me I sleep with my mouth closed, but I'll try a new thermometer anyways. Thanks for the advice :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Some women ovulate really quickly-- for them, testing more than once a day is sometimes helpful, because between one morning test and the next morning test, ovulation may have already occurred. When I was trying to get pregnant, I abandoned the manufacturer's suggestion of peeing on an ovu strip every other day and went straight to every day. When I started to detect an LH surge, I tested twice a day. It apparently worked for me, as we got pregnant the first go around.

I would chart for a couple of months and see if you notice the same quick temp changes and the corresponding cervical mucous changes. If so, then you might want to think of yourself as a quick ovulator and go from there. If it turns out that this was an anomaly based on your irregular cycle length, then you'll know too. :)

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

OK so... I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks on November 2. I was intending to wait (or at least not *actively* try again) for a full cycle before making another attempt. But today I'm getting a bunch of fertile CF... I haven't had any useful amounts of eggwhite in months. So... should I go for it anyway, or be patient?

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!
What my doctor said is that as soon as you are medically clear (had an ultrasound and know that there's nothing in there to mess you up) and mentally sound, then go for it.

kuroneko107
Apr 24, 2008
Cross posting from the pregnancy thread, I had forgotten this was here!

What is the fertility book that's often recommended around here? Because of my radiation treatment, I need to avoid pregnancy for 6 months. It's fairly heartbreaking for me and my husband that we have to wait that long but I figured I would take the time to make sure I'm in the best possibly shape to get pregnant again. I'm going to try and lose weight, start taking prenatal (much later obviously), get off the pill and try and figure out when I ovulate. Am I missing anything obvious?

I figure pretending that I want to wait for all this too will make the wait easier.

Edit: duh looks like that book was mentioned on THIS page, go me

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Sally Slug posted:

What my doctor said is that as soon as you are medically clear (had an ultrasound and know that there's nothing in there to mess you up) and mentally sound, then go for it.

I had an ultrasound at the hospital and they said that things seemed pretty well back to normal then, so I guess I must have passed it all pretty quickly. It certainly felt that way; it hurt like hell. I really want to get pregnant again ASAP so maybe I'll give it a go tonight...

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

Longpig posted:

I had an ultrasound at the hospital and they said that things seemed pretty well back to normal then, so I guess I must have passed it all pretty quickly. It certainly felt that way; it hurt like hell. I really want to get pregnant again ASAP so maybe I'll give it a go tonight...

I say go for it. You sound ready. Good luck!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Ah well... it was long gone by the time my husband came home, in the end, and I was too tired on top of that. Sigh.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

kuroneko107 posted:

Cross posting from the pregnancy thread, I had forgotten this was here!

What is the fertility book that's often recommended around here? Because of my radiation treatment, I need to avoid pregnancy for 6 months. It's fairly heartbreaking for me and my husband that we have to wait that long but I figured I would take the time to make sure I'm in the best possibly shape to get pregnant again. I'm going to try and lose weight, start taking prenatal (much later obviously), get off the pill and try and figure out when I ovulate. Am I missing anything obvious?

I figure pretending that I want to wait for all this too will make the wait easier.

Edit: duh looks like that book was mentioned on THIS page, go me

Hi, I'm new in here too. I am (for right now) avoiding the pregnancy boat due to some life circumstances and I just got "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." I think that's the one you mean. It's awesome, there's a section on natural birth control and another on conceiving, so it will serve you well in the future too! I have never learned so much about my own body. I got a really good deal on Amazon and they also have the thermometer you'll need.

Speaking of which, I have a question. I just stopped the pill after my last cycle (first week of November) and my body seems to be really reacting. I'm already getting acne and I've had some aching in my lower abdomen this week. And holy mother of God the emotions. I cried at some videos of dogs yesterday. Can anyone sympathize? Does it get better?

EDIT: Thought this might be pertinent, I will be 29 in March and I've been on the pill for 14 years.

Twatty Seahag fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 18, 2009

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I can totally sympathize, Twatty Seahag. I was an emotional wreck when I went off the pill, after having been on it for 12 years. Really, I'm no different now, but that's because I actually am pregnant now :D. But it did get better for me, and it didn't take more than a couple of months. I hope it's the same for you!

And yeah, nthing TCOYF. It's a mind-blowing book. I learned so much from it, even in the short time I used it (I got pregnant first time we actually tried aligning sex with my fertile days). I am actually excited to be able to put it to good use after this baby, especially when we decide we're ready to try for #2.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

OK so... I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks on November 2. I was intending to wait (or at least not *actively* try again) for a full cycle before making another attempt. But today I'm getting a bunch of fertile CF... I haven't had any useful amounts of eggwhite in months. So... should I go for it anyway, or be patient?

I'm sorry, Longpig, that really really sucks. It will happen again soon! My doctor said as soon as you're mentally ready, go for it. I miscarried at 5 weeks, had a crazy cycle the next month, and got pregnant the month after that. Good luck! Creepy as it may be, I always look for your updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
Hey Guys

My fiance and I have been together 5+ years and have gone off the pill about 2 weeks ago. A baby is something I've wanted more than anything for a few years now - we both have, but he's wanted to make sure we're in a better place financially etc (men - :rolleyes:).

I've never had any great aspirations of an amazing career or uni degree or whatever - all I have ever wanted is to be a Mum and it has brought me to tears numerous times a year for the last couple of years because I want it so bad.

So now that we're actually trying I'm terrified. I know it's "normal" to take 6-12 months to conceive and that frightens the hell out of me. I want so badly to fall pregnant straight away.

I always wanted to be a young Mum... 22/23 years old. I'm 25 now, so probably 26 or 27 or even 28 by the time I have a baby. It was always hard to remind my partner that going off the pill doesn't mean instant pregnancy. It doesn't go 'off the pill -> pregnant -> baby' all within a month or whatever... it's more like a month to a year to conceive, then 10 months of pregnancy.. so more like a 1-2 years process.

Now while I know that that I am by no means old, in MY mind and my plan, I feel like I'm already years behind, so every month..hell, every day and week that went by that we weren't trying for a baby was tearing me apart.

I just wish we had of started a year or more ago :(

And now.... every period I get is going to break my heart. I know that stress and focusing on conceiving too much can negatively influence my ability to conceive but it's all I've thought about since the day we decided to go off the pill. Alllll day. And because I've been on the pill so long, I have no idea how long my cycle is so I just have to wait and see when I get my next period and hope that it's regular from then on and I regularly ovulate.

Wow.. that was a bit of an essay.. was meant to be a small introduction!

Anyway, it's been wonderful reading all of your stories - my heart leaps every time I read that someone is pregnant. I hope that I'm posting a picture of my positive HPT very soon :)

• Locked thread