Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Number station on now at 0707 UTC at 5880. The cubans are at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Capnbigboobies posted:

Using the DE31 right now, so far its more effective than the whip antenna. The difference is between being able to hear the station and nothing at all. I will compare it to a random wire slung over a tree when I feel less lazy. On 0420 UTC at 5890 some nutter is talking about the dangers of vaccination. No its not Jones haha.
I cant hear the station at all with the whip but the DE31 makes it listenable.

Not bad for 23 I guess. Where did you order it?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Social Animal posted:

Not bad for 23 I guess. Where did you order it?

Ebay from seller tquchina. I need to do more testing with the DE31 vs ~50 foot random wire slung up a tree, but I have not had a chance. I was able to get CRI, Australia, Taiwan etc. from San Jose, CA. With the antenna in the house. I have limited experience with shortwave stuff so I don't know how good it is.

I can tell you it appears to work better than my homemade loop and is far more robust. With the raw materials costing just about the same as the DE31 I see no point in building your own. Its easier to just click buy now on ebay than getting solder to stick on the copper tubing and having to deal with it being a drat eyesore. The DE 31 folds up and can fit into a small ziplock bag. I feel stupid for wasting the money building the mag loop when I could of just got the DE31.

It's not magic though so don't expect wonders.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Capnbigboobies posted:

Ebay from seller tquchina. I need to do more testing with the DE31 vs ~50 foot random wire slung up a tree, but I have not had a chance. I was able to get CRI, Australia, Taiwan etc. from San Jose, CA. With the antenna in the house. I have limited experience with shortwave stuff so I don't know how good it is.
Passport gave it 2 stars in their last edition; the things they mostly didn't like were only being able to run off of batteries (and drawing more than twice as much current as the manufacturer claims), the difficulty in turning it in different directions, and that you can't mount it permanently outside.

The verdict: "Respectable performance, minimal investment", which sounds pretty good to me.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

nmfree posted:

Passport gave it 2 stars in their last edition; the things they mostly didn't like were only being able to run off of batteries (and drawing more than twice as much current as the manufacturer claims), the difficulty in turning it in different directions, and that you can't mount it permanently outside.

The verdict: "Respectable performance, minimal investment", which sounds pretty good to me.

I agree with those complaints. You have to constantly fiddle with the tuning knob on it. You cant just let your radio scan, you have to frequently stop and re-tune the knob on the de31. The knob should of been larger so it was easier to tune in the stations. Sometimes it feels like factions of a mm of movement will make the station go from listenable to nothing.

The DE31 is advertised as a indoor antenna that gets stuck on the window, so I dunno about the complaint about being able to leave it outside. I mean can the sony be left outside?

As for battery life I bet it lasts pretty drat long. Also since its amplified it will also raise noise as well.

Is 2 stars decent or crappy from Passport?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Capnbigboobies posted:

Number station on now at 0707 UTC at 5880. The cubans are at it again.

5880 seems to be a pretty active frequency lately. I've picked up our dear Cuban mistress a bunch there.

In other news, I moved. I'm less than a mile from where I was before, but I get much less interference from Radio Disney. I'm in an apartment, but I'm getting pretty remarkable reception. Figure that!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up my G6 today. Man, this thing is tiny.

For some reason I got the regular version instead of the Aviator edition like the website said. :(

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

5880 seems to be a pretty active frequency lately. I've picked up our dear Cuban mistress a bunch there.

Hey thanks for posting that frequency. I gave it a shot and at first it was just static. Then later I turn on the radio for Coast to Coast and it automatically loaded that frequency and the lady was on it! Baby's first numbers station :wooper: Came in so clear too.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Social Animal posted:

Baby's first numbers station :wooper: Came in so clear too.

Count me in on that one, as of two nights ago. I caught a V2a "Attencion" broadcast around two in the morning, although mine was being jammed somewhere between the streaming tuner I was listening on, located in northern CT, and the source. Jammers are loud!

TimeLady
Jul 30, 2007
TARDIS calling.

Social Animal posted:

What show is that?

It's one of those conspiracy nutter shows that's on the same network Alex Jones is on.

Their focus used to be on Gulf War syndrome, and I'm guessing it used to be on for less than the three or so hours it's on the air now. Who did Gulf War syndrome? The government and mass vaccination :ssh:

TimeLady fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 11, 2009

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

TC the Giant posted:

Count me in on that one, as of two nights ago. I caught a V2a "Attencion" broadcast around two in the morning, although mine was being jammed somewhere between the streaming tuner I was listening on, located in northern CT, and the source. Jammers are loud!

Its been on pretty much every night at 0700 UTC on 5880 (midnight, my local time). The other night I listened to it from the first "Attencion!" to the final "final." Great reception the entire time.

Awesome.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Its been on pretty much every night at 0700 UTC on 5880 (midnight, my local time). The other night I listened to it from the first "Attencion!" to the final "final." Great reception the entire time.

Awesome.

Nice, I stayed up really late one night determined to listen to the whole thing, which meant staying up to 2AM or whatever local time. No one bothered to tell me that it would last for 45 minutes!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Is anyone going to record it? I have to work those hours. :(

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Im getting set up to try and receive it tonight. here's hoping they don't decide to take the night off.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's going right now. There's a telephone ringing with a lady reading off spanish numbers over it.

My first numbers station :3:

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Mine too, i wish they would answer that drat phone ;)

TimeLady
Jul 30, 2007
TARDIS calling.
e: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ beat me to the joke

wa27 posted:

It's going right now. There's a telephone ringing with a lady reading off spanish numbers over it.

My first numbers station :3:

I was bandscanning in bed with my CC Radio SWP and I got up to post this. It seems to be off the air now.

That telephone ringing you hear? It's been heard on the myriad of frequencies for Radio Havana-Cuba, for the past week. Will someone pick up the drat phone already?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
it started ringing about 3 minutes before the hour, then abotu 2 minutes later the woman started reading off numbers, then it just went back to the ringing. the numbers didnt last more than about 5 miuntes. im not getting the ringing anymore

TimeLady
Jul 30, 2007
TARDIS calling.
Numbers station is back again on 5885.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
i wonder if its switching back and forth im getting it again on 5880

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Nooooooo! This loving sucks! The reason I bought a SW radio was so that I could pick up numbers stations and now everyone is in on one excpet me because I have to work.

gently caress this world. :smithicide:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

Nooooooo! This loving sucks! The reason I bought a SW radio was so that I could pick up numbers stations and now everyone is in on one excpet me because I have to work.

gently caress this world. :smithicide:

I might try to get a recording of it this weekend. I would have last night but I could barely receive it at all. I had to walk around my room holding my G6 at the ceiling. Hopefully when I'm in a different house it will be better.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

That ringing sounds weird. I've never heard of that before. I fell asleep about ten minutes before 0700 UTC, which is 3AM local time for me.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Okay, I brought my Grundig G6 (plus ANLP1 antenna for extra protection) with me to work tonight. I'm going to make drat sure I catch me a numbers station before the sun comes up.

Oh please still be broadcasting tonight. :ohdear:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Is anyone else getting anything? I'm picking up what sounds like morse code on 5880.

EDIT: Excuse me, that's 5880, not 5885. :doh:

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 16, 2009

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Fire up your radio, there's open carrier on 5880 right now.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm getting it! :dance:

I've finally justified buying this thing. :unsmith:

Hologram
Nov 2, 2006

:chillpill:
What is the best length for a wire loop antenna? I have a Ten Tec RX-350 (was fairly expensive I gather) that I was given as payment for cleaning up mold damage at a house. I have about 30 feet of stereo cable

Hologram fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 19, 2009

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Hologram posted:

What is the best length for a wire loop antenna? I have a Ten Tec RX-350 (was fairly expensive I gather) that I was given as payment for cleaning up mold damage at a house. I have about 30 feet of stereo cable
The 350 was listed at $1200 when it was available, which puts it at the lower end of the upper tier of consumer tabletop radios.

If by stereo cable you mean two conductor "zip cord", that will work just fine. A loop won't work as well at this length as just splitting the two halves apart (so you have a 60 foot wire), soldering/butt crimping/wire nutting one end of each half together, stretching it out as straight as is practical, and crimping a banana plug (or a PL-259 plug) on the radio end of the wire and plugging it into the jack. This isn't a perfect solution, but it will work.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I've been thinking about branching out into scanners in the near future. I'd like a trunked scanner, but I don't know what would be a good one to start with. Does anyone know what a good starter scanner would be for a reasonable price?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

For those interested, the numbers station is on 5880Khz again right now. It's been going for 35 minutes already.

I'll post a clip of it tomorrow, although I'm sure there's already many online.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 19, 2009

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

Is anyone else getting anything? I'm picking up what sounds like morse code on 5880.

EDIT: Excuse me, that's 5880, not 5885. :doh:

That could easily be M8, which is the Cuban morse number station.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Mark your calendars!

http://blogs.rnw.nl/medianetwork/radio-st-helena-day-2009-saturday-14-november posted:

Radio St. Helena Day 2009 will be on Saturday 14 November 2009. The “Party On-The-Air” will have the following schedule:

code:
Time in UTC             Target Area(s)
20:00 – 21:00         India  /  Southeast Asia
21:00 – 22:00         Japan / Asia
22:00 – 23:30         Europe
23:30 – 01:00         North America / Central America / Caribbean
The transmission will be on 11092.5 KHz in Upper Side Band, as usual.

Radio St. Helena is very pleased to announce that the newly designed RSD 2009 QSL cards will be sponsored by the highly respected Japan Short Wave Club. This good news has been reported by Mr. T. Ohtake of the JSWC. It can truly be said, that without the very generous help of the JSWC, there would not have been a Radio St. Helena Day Revival in 2006.

To get a QSL from Radio St. Helena, you must send a written and verifiable reception report by AIRMAIL and include sufficient return postage. Email-reports will be not be verified. Recordings will not be returned. In EURO-countries, please send a 5-Euro banknote. Otherwise, please send 3 or more US dollar banknotes to cover the required return postage.

Radio St. Helena
P.O. Box 93
Jamestown, St. Helena
STHL 1ZZ
South Atlantic Ocean
via AIRMAIL
via United Kingdom & Ascension

The last two lines of the above address are very important and should be written as shown. Be sure to use sufficient postage on your letter to RSH. Ask at your local post office for the correct AIRMAIL postage for your letter to go all the way to St. Helena.

Emails and telephone calls from DXers everywhere are very welcome during the broadcasts. A special email address for RSD 2009 will, probably, be announced in October. Gary Walters and his Team at RSH wish everyone excellent listening conditions, hope that you enjoy the programming, and hope that the sunspots will be kinder to us this year.
Maybe I'll finally finish my magnetic loop antenna before this... I wanted to finish it before the last event. We'll see. v:shobon:v

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

When I run an audio cable between my computer's mic input and my G6's headphone output, it creates all kinds of interference. Would buying a different type of audio cable fix this? I don't know much about shielded cables and whatnot.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

wa27 posted:

When I run an audio cable between my computer's mic input and my G6's headphone output, it creates all kinds of interference. Would buying a different type of audio cable fix this? I don't know much about shielded cables and whatnot.

You're putting it in the wrong spot. The audio input would be a black jack on the back of the computer, not the mic. I had the same problem with my laptop, which only had the mic input. The desktop has the one in the back though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Illegal Clown posted:

You're putting it in the wrong spot. The audio input would be a black jack on the back of the computer, not the mic. I had the same problem with my laptop, which only had the mic input. The desktop has the one in the back though.

Ah, thanks. I am on a laptop with only a mic input, so I guess I'm screwed unless I get a USB sound card or something.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

wa27 posted:

Ah, thanks. I am on a laptop with only a mic input, so I guess I'm screwed unless I get a USB sound card or something.

Take the mic input volume way down and check any boxes that say 'attenuation' or '-ndB'. Then slowly raise the radio's output volume until you have an audible signal that sounds at least acceptable.

The software mixer on your laptop may have additional functions that aren't currently visible. In Windows there should be an 'advanced' option or something like that in the mixer's menubar. Check all elements for recording and see if there's a 'line' panel you can select instead of 'mic'.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Underflow posted:

Take the mic input volume way down and check any boxes that say 'attenuation' or '-ndB'. Then slowly raise the radio's output volume until you have an audible signal that sounds at least acceptable.

The software mixer on your laptop may have additional functions that aren't currently visible. In Windows there should be an 'advanced' option or something like that in the mixer's menubar. Check all elements for recording and see if there's a 'line' panel you can select instead of 'mic'.

If it's a mac, you'll need to search for "LineIn" on the internet. That'll let you use the mic input as a line-in device (this is also how I run my Xbox sound through my laptop).

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

wa27 posted:

I use my laptop hooked up to my radio all the time, and my laptop has only mic and headphone jacks. It will work OK (it would be better to use something that isolates the computer and radio from each other like this, for several reasons, but directly patching the two into each other will work OK), just turn the volume down like underflow said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Another good option is a hard drive based iPod (5th generation or newer) with an adapter for line in recording. It will throw off a lot less RF interference than a whole computer will, and yo can just transfer the file over later.

• Locked thread