Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Mr. Epic posted:

Beautiful shots Dread Head. I apologize if this isn't the place to ask (I'm a newbie in the DSLR realm - just got my first Canon a week ago), but what equipment do you use to shoot?

if you click and go to the flickr page, down on the right it will tell you what kind of camera they used, and there's a link that will show the full data embedded in the image that will tell you everything (unless it's been removed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Epic
May 13, 2007
Words are just not enough.

evensevenone posted:

if you click and go to the flickr page, down on the right it will tell you what kind of camera they used, and there's a link that will show the full data embedded in the image that will tell you everything (unless it's been removed)

Thank you kind sir.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
To elaborate I am using a Nikon D300, 90% of my landscapes are with the sigma 10-20mm and some of my latest stuff was with the nikon 80-200.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Dread Head posted:

You've really been killing this thread lately. These two are especially nice.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Another one from Iceland, just outside of Skaftafell National park near/virtually on a glacier.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I need to go to Iceland.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
In the summer, it's pretty much a bunch of fantastic landscape shots stitched together over an entire country/sub-continent - at least along the coast as we travelled.

Curufin
Oct 6, 2003

Guardian of the Blind
Yeah, Iceland is a loving beautiful place to visit. Pretty expensive, though. :(

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I haven't played with my camera for a little bit, and I'm starting to get back into it. Found this in my archives. 1/400s, f6.3, ISO 200, 200mm

Click here for the full 1200x800 image.

I've got another one with a small fishing boat in it, but I don't like it as much.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Curufin posted:

Yeah, Iceland is a loving beautiful place to visit. Pretty expensive, though. :(

Most good things are it seems.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Been messing with shooting panoramas on my 50mm, to make up for it not being wide. Oh its so nice compared to kit lens, no distortion etc.

this one was actually done with the kit lens, still really nice, im loving the detail you can capture by merging images as a panorama

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evensevenone posted:

or if they shot film :cool:

Curufin posted:

Yeah, Iceland is a loving beautiful place to visit. Pretty expensive, though.

I was so close to going last year when their bank failed, there was a simultaneous deal on airfare/hotel but I passed on it. I really shouldn't have, I've wanted to go for ages and it likely won't be that cheap again

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was so close to going last year when their bank failed, there was a simultaneous deal on airfare/hotel but I passed on it. I really shouldn't have, I've wanted to go for ages and it likely won't be that cheap again

its still pretty cheap relative to history due to the crisis. i spent a month there in may which i think is a good time to go, the weather isn't too bad and its before the main tourist season

General Gravedancer
May 14, 2009

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Curufin posted:

No, not anymore. Due to their catastrophic financial meltdown prices have plummeted in Iceland.

As an example; About a year ago I had to pay € 599,- for a ticket from the Netherlands to Iceland. They now offer tickets ranging from € 299,- to € 349,-(including 3 nights in a hotel!).
Hotels are approximately 20% cheaper and car rental seems to be cheaper too.

Edit: info from http://www.icelandair.co.uk

From £239
With the favourable exchange rate, Iceland is becoming one of the hottest destinations in the world. It also allows us to offer this fantastic city break deal which not only consits of flights and a 4 star hotel, it also includes a FREE Golden Circle tour.

The Golden circle tour is Iceland's most popular tour and takes you to the magnificent waterfall, Gullfoss, the world famous geothermal area of Geysir and Thingvellir National Park where Europe meets America at the Continental Divide. The full day tour is booked two days after arrival so it allows you plenty of free time in Iceland to explore Reykjavik and its surroundings.

Go visit Iceland on a 3-6 night break this winter. Available from London Heathrow, Manchester and Glasgow.

General Gravedancer fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 26, 2009

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

(not HDR) (I promise)

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
A couple from a tip Saturday. Not really sure if I actually like the effect on the 3rd, but it's certainly very close to the grungy mossy feeling I was going for.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug
Here's the re-edit:

Can't decide if I like the almost over-processed look of the first one or the more natural, flatter look of the second. Any ideas?

ConspicuousEvil fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 28, 2009

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ConspicuousEvil posted:

Here's the re-edit:

Can't decide if I like the almost over-processed look of the first one or the more natural, flatter look of the second. Any ideas?

Something does not look right, the sky around the clouds is slightly darker, did you run this through HDR software? The whole image kind of looks "blotchy, not sure what it is.

----

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Digging the first one, the contrast of the water against the dark beach with a nice sky. You must be done editing your trip photos if we are seeing rocks again :)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

whaam posted:

Digging the first one, the contrast of the water against the dark beach with a nice sky. You must be done editing your trip photos if we are seeing rocks again :)

Haha, yeah for the most part I will probably go over the whole lot again to see if there is anything I changed my mind about.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
Meant to ask you, what do you pack your gear in when backpacking? Do you just take the body and wide angle and pack it in your backpack or something else? I just picked up a medium sized pelican case that should fit body+grip+lens and an extra tele, but drat is it heavy, probably too much so for my pack. The smaller peli's that would hold just the body+lens all seem too shallow to allow for the grip it seems.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Depends what I am taking with me, and by that I mean it depends if I am taking my super tele. If I am not taking it then I will take my camera bag backpack with my short lenses in it. If I am taking my super tele then I will put it in a real backpack and I will take my wide and maybe my 80-200. When using my real backpack I have all my lenses in lens cases.

Example:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some pretty impressive mountain photography

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug

Dread Head posted:

Something does not look right, the sky around the clouds is slightly darker, did you run this through HDR software? The whole image kind of looks "blotchy, not sure what it is.

I just ran it through LR and PS. Does it look blotchy in the second one also? Or does that one look ok? Thanks for the help, btw.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Those are some cool mountains, but the photography feels pretty uninspired.

I have never seen anything like this mountain. Where is this?

edit time!

sooooo that mountain isn't real.

If you go to the photographer's website ( http://www.michaelnajjar.com/ , warning, it resizes your browser and is kind of a pain to navigate) you can read about the project, "High Altitude". It visualizes stock market trends in mountain vistas. Hence, some of the images you see are in edited to match the period indicated in the description of each image.

Now the photos are suddenly worth looking at.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 29, 2009

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

ConspicuousEvil posted:

I just ran it through LR and PS. Does it look blotchy in the second one also? Or does that one look ok? Thanks for the help, btw.

I'm assuming clarity was jacked up to 100 or near it, because there's a lot of haloing around the edge of the trees/clouds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Interrupting Moss posted:

sooooo that mountain isn't real.
Myeah I should have put the details with the link. I thought it was pretty obvious (erosion would take care of a peak like that in a couple years time), but I grew in the mountains so it was obvious to me. Evidently I then forgot to mention it.

Wubble
Dec 29, 2008
Here are some landscapes I did from the last month or two.

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug
Ok, third time's a charm?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Here are two from Seroak Mountain in Korea.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Wubble posted:

Really liking the sky in this one, nice editing... the contrast suits the image well.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

Momonari kun posted:

Here are two from Seroak Mountain in Korea.

this is underexposed, unless that's the look you were going for.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

Fbi2thegrave posted:

this is underexposed, unless that's the look you were going for.

I was going for that a bit, but I need to play with it a bit more in post.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Went to Big Sur last weekend

GratefulHume
Aug 8, 2005

mobilis in mobili
[quote="MMD3"]

I love the grandeur of this one, but you should really crop out that bit of lake and people at the bottom.

Suck it Iceland, here are some 'scapes of Greenland!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yessssssssssssss

A touch underexposed. But awesome.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Whitezombi posted:

Where was this taken? I'll second the underexposed sentiment, but it's so dramatic it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Thanks. I took this on the East side of the Sandia Mountains facing East. I took this in September and I have a bunch to process still.