Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

Iroc_dis luckily you were on a crotch rocket with a subframe that acted like a catapult and ejected you to safety. A low level cruiser or chopper would have had the rider crushed between both cages.

Yea, I kinda wish someone had gotten it on camera. I want to know how high I got and how far I landed from the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

iroc_dis posted:

Yea, I kinda wish someone had gotten it on camera. I want to know how high I got and how far I landed from the bike.

If you got the cash, there's HD bullet cams that mount on your helmet for around $200.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jack the Smack posted:

If you got the cash, there's HD bullet cams that mount on your helmet for around $200.
Not to be vicariously opportunistic (by which I mean, "yeah...totally.").
If he didn't have the cash before, I suspect iroc_dis will have it soon enough.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Welp, had my first off earlier this afternoon.

Was up in the mountains on an unfamiliar road, alone. I was being fairly conservative the whole ride but the corner I was in at the time tightened up incredibly quickly and started going uphill (couldn't see this before I went into it). I'm still not sure if I simply took the corner too quickly or if I panicked and tried to slow down (I don't think this was the case, though). Regardless, me and the bike went slamming into a wall of dirt at full speed.

The entire loving impact was transferred to my crotch, nothing else on my body got so much as scratched. God, I do not wish that pain on anyone, I thought something had popped :gonk:. The first thing I thought after the impact, after "what the gently caress just happened?", was "holy loving god why do riding pants not have a cup in them oh god oh god".

The bike suffered a bent shift lever. It twisted all the way around 180 degrees actually, thankfully I had my tool kit in the trunk (was debating not bringing it today, glad I did) so I flipped it back around no problem. Other than that the only damage was some scraping and a crack on the left fairing, a lost left turn signal, and a crack on the windshield fairing. Rode the thing 2 hours home, which was fun because I got to really soak the whole thing in.

My helmet visor nailed the windscreen I think, because there's a crack on the fairing there and my helmet visor is very very slightly scratched. I shouldn't need to replace the helmet right? I know it's always safer that way, but the actual helmet didn't impact, just my visor and it didn't even leave noticeable scratches.

I'm bummed as hell about my bike though, even though I should be thankful that me and it got out in such good condition. It was spotless before; I'm the kind of person who doesn't have a single scratch on anything I own. Now it's got a bunch of ugly scratches and cracks that I'll never really be able to fix :(. Well, it's obviously fixable but I'm pretty broke and it'll be pretty costly for the result. And now when I go to sell it I can't proudly advertise "never been dropped!".

Pics of the (minor) damage:

Shift lever after I put it back facing the right way. It's a bit more bent that it appears on photo but it's relatively minor. I notice these always get screwed up in crashes, I'm guessing they're designed to fail so the engine doesn't get damaged?

Left fairing. The crack to the left of the turn signal bothers me.

Bottom of left fairing. I don't mind the scratches too much because I can repaint those.

Windshield fairing crack. I hate cracks.

Dent in the tank where my loving NADS COLLIDED. Seriously, that's the only thing that impacted this area. Probably the most devastating damage, cause even if I get it pulled out it's never going to look like it did before.

I know you guys are looking at these pics and going "haha what is this guy serious", but drat, this is the most damaged thing that I own. What would be the best way to fix this minor junk? I'm gonna grab some paint from ColorRite but not sure what the best approach would be for getting everything back to the way it was.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

-Inu- posted:

Dent in the tank where my loving NADS COLLIDED. Seriously, that's the only thing that impacted this area. Probably the most devastating damage

lol, nads :buddy:

seriously though, I'm really glad you weren't seriously injured and that the bike is still able to be ridden.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

-Inu- posted:

I CRUSHED ME NUTS

Hahahaha, oh man, I'm sorry to laugh at your misfortune. :) But look on the bright side, if you're lucky, this will leave you nice and sterile!

And really, I wouldn't worry about cracked plastic bits. Replacing them all could end up costing a significant percentage of what the bike is worth, and it's just minor cosmetics anyway. You'd probably just want to drill a hole at the end of the cracks to prevent them from spreading farther, then maybe filling them with an epoxy or something.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

-Inu- posted:

My helmet visor nailed the windscreen I think, because there's a crack on the fairing there and my helmet visor is very very slightly scratched. I shouldn't need to replace the helmet right? I know it's always safer that way, but the actual helmet didn't impact, just my visor and it didn't even leave noticeable scratches.

Replace the helmet. I am 98% sure your head put enough force into the inside foam to distort it when you crashed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

-Inu- posted:

If you are unsure, replace it.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Raven457 posted:

lol, nads :buddy:

Tsaven Nava posted:

Hahahaha, oh man, I'm sorry to laugh at your misfortune. :)
Haha, thanks guys. I do have to admit that it's pretty hard not to laugh at.

Most of the fairing damage is scratches of varying degrees of thickness, with the aforementioned cracks. Guess I'll have to google some guides on how to properly repair that stuff to see if it's feasible.

As for the helmet, yeah I figured the consensus would be to replace it. I'm gonna send it to Shoei for inspection this week; don't want to shell out $300 for a new RF1k unless I know the current one is screwed.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
WEW! GOT MY NEWBIE CRASH OUT OF THE WAY!

Jendywo and I went out for some geocaching around 4pm, and on the way home, there was water streaming across the road from some broken sprinklers or somesuch for around 50-60 yards. I saw it well in time, and slowed from 35 down to around 15 or so. I was 80% through when the front tire just....disappeared out from under me - just like my fears about motorcycles always said it would.

Funny how crash memory works.
I was riding along, I felt something funny in the bars, and then a big pain in my right hip, then I felt the right side of my helmet tap the ground, then I was stopped and looking at the bike slide on it's right side into the curb. I got up, got over on the grass, and laid the gently caress back down. Jendywo pulled over, got her bike stopped, sidestand down, etc. I rolled over to the bike, found the kill switch and killed the ignition. Rolled back over and cheered..."WOOOOOO! Got the crash out of the way!"

Damage: I'm going to have a fuckoff huge bruise tomorrow on my right hip. a 3mmx2mm scuff on the back of my right index knuckle. The left side of the front fork popped out of the triple tree (we managed to get it back in *enough* that I was able to duckwalk the bike 1/2 mile back to the house.) The helmet totally did it's job, even though there wasn't even any damage to the paint that I saw.

So. I got that poo poo out of the way, and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.
Pictures tomorrow, when I manage to get my gimpy limping rear end out of bed.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Jabs posted:

Glad you're pretty much OK. Was it on a curve or just going straight? Odd that it'd just drop out from under you like that. It sounds like maybe you hydroplaned the front wheel. Was there enough water that you think that could have been it?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

-Inu- posted:

You know a good paintless dent removal guy might be able to make that crotch dent disappear completely.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Scrapez posted:

Glad you're pretty much OK. Was it on a curve or just going straight? Odd that it'd just drop out from under you like that. It sounds like maybe you hydroplaned the front wheel. Was there enough water that you think that could have been it?

I've seen sudden slick spots form when there's something in the road that rises to the surface when water flows over it. Just like how the road gets really slick from all the oil and poo poo in the road rising to the surface on first rain.

Glad that you and Inu are alright :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jabs posted:

So... did you hit a hole in the water or something? How did going straight through a small amount of water take you down? Were you on the brakes? Glad you come out alright, but I don't understand what went on here, and at the very least, I think you should, as it sounds like somewhat regular conditions you shouldn't just be gong down in.

Stop thinking like 'you got it out of the way'. Now you know how much it sucks and should feel motivated to never do it again.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 19, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jabs posted:

Rolled back over and cheered..."WOOOOOO! Got the crash out of the way!"

So. I got that poo poo out of the way, and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Stop saying this poo poo right now. There's no rule that you only get one crash, and if you have this kind of attitude it tells me 1) you're way too caviler about dropping your bike and 2) you're going to stop expecting to crash again.

I may sound harsh, but gently caress, nobody should ever celebrate a drop, no matter how minor it is. It's not some kind of badge of honor. Wrong loving attitude, man.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Way to be over-sensitive. There is no religious, moral or other reason why a crash can't be celebrated. He had a milestone moment in his motorcycling experience, and he wasn't seriously hurt or emotionally traumatized. Good for him.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Doctor Zero posted:

Stop saying this poo poo right now. There's no rule that you only get one crash, and if you have this kind of attitude it tells me 1) you're way too caviler about dropping your bike and 2) you're going to stop expecting to crash again.

I may sound harsh, but gently caress, nobody should ever celebrate a drop, no matter how minor it is. It's not some kind of badge of honor. Wrong loving attitude, man.

I dunno, after my first drop I felt pretty relieved. After all, the entire world tells you you're going to die horribly if your bike so much as falls over, but the reality of the situation is that it's more than possible to crash a motorcycle and live to tell the tale. It's not a pleasant experience, but it's not a life ending one either.

I'm happy when I've crashed and the damage to me is minor. Double if the damage to the bike is minor as well. I'm not happy about crashing, but I'm glad that things didn't go as badly as they could have. Couple that with the adrenaline rush of crashing, and it's really easy to feel like he does. I doubt he'll be so stoked about it this morning when he hurts from head to toe. :xd:

With that said, I'm with Spiffness...there's something else going on there that you need to look at in that accident. I'd bet that you went for a handful of brake, because I've seen people do that time and time again, swear that they were off the brakes, but I was behind them and saw their brake lights go on right before they crashed. It's amazing what your brain will do without you realizing it when it's still hardwired for "slower is better".

The other big thing is: were you on the throttle through the water? If you were off the throttle you don't have the rear wheel driving you through the water and you are relying completely on the front to keep the bike tracking straight. If the front loses traction and gets far enough out of line, it's not going to come back. Staying on the gas helps keep load off the front tire, and you always would rather have the back end sliding around than the front end sliding around because you have a lot more control with the back end sliding than the front end sliding. Being on the gas also means it's pretty difficult to go for the brake which can help save you from that new rider impulse to grab at the brake anytime something goes wrong.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 19, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MrKatharsis posted:

Way to be over-sensitive. There is no religious, moral or other reason why a crash can't be celebrated. He had a milestone moment in his motorcycling experience, and he wasn't seriously hurt or emotionally traumatized. Good for him.

I'm just saying that he got nothing "out of the way." I can understand that he's relieved it finally happened, and I am certainly glad he's unhurt and his bike is unscathed. Just saying is that it shouldn't have happened in the first place, and it's kind of a bad attitude. Unless you're trying to wreck your bike, dropping it isn't ever a good thing. What it should be is a huge warning sign that says "I just did something wrong and I should evaluate what it is so that it doesn't happen again in the near future."

It's not a milestone. Not everybody crashes, and it isn't something to be proud of unless your name is Evil Kenevil.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 19, 2009

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Go Go Google Maps! This is looking backwards from where I stopped. There was water streaming across the road (right to left in this view) all the way back to the far side of the driveway.

DZ - The celebration comes from knowing that I'm going to drop the bike *eventually*, some way, some how, someday. Considering that dual sport touring is one of my long term goals, I imagine that over the course of the next two decades, it'll be more than just this once, no matter how painstakingly careful I am. Granted, I envision it being much more likely on dirt than on pavement, but still. I would rather get that first one out of the way early in my riding career, to have that experience under my belt. Experience is experience. Now I know what dumping the bike is like, it sucks rear end, is expensive, and I was fortunate to have had a mild one. Not something I want to do again in the future (at the same time accepting that someday I'm going to be picking my way down a piece of singletrack at some point and will wind up having to pick up a bike with a fuckton of gear strapped to it, to boot.) But having the experience of having to put your "toes, knees, hips (ow), back, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers...(check). Bike off (check). OK, what now... Bambalance? Tow truck? Call a friend? Ride it home? etc." plan in to action is still good experience, and there are a few changes I'll be making to what I bring along on a ride in the future. (#1 change - Metric Hex Wrenches and a phillips screwdriver on the bike at all times)

In retropsect, I'm sure that the front hydroplaned on some oil floating on top of a thinner layer of water. Back near the driveway for the apartments, the water was flowing pretty good across the road, and I didn't feel any traction problems. It was when I got into that section of the water where the water was being deposited on the road by car tires that drove through the water that the front tire just fell out from under me. The factors leading up to this were:

* Rider inexperience - I honestly can't recall how *exactly* I manipulated the controls while going through the water. I do remember chanting a combination of The Motorcycle Mantra (The Brakes Are NOT The Right loving Choice Right Now) and OhShitOhShitOhShit. I was not clutched in and coasting through it, I was not rolling on the throttle. I was definitely not on the foot brake, and I don't believe I was even covering the handbrake, having done a lot (scrubbed 20mph?) of braking up front before reaching the water. I *may* have been rolling off the throttle veeeeery gently, but I can't recall. I do remember having competing thoughts of "slower...slower..." and "stay smooth, don't slow down..."
Z3n, you're right, adding throttle slowly was likely the right choice, but that was one of the lessons of the night. Part of it was that I was trying to stay smooth, and between the dry clutch and the shaft drive, my bike doesn't add/subtract power nearly as smoothly as Jendywo's XS400. I do recall thinking that if I added power in 2nd gear, the rear would likely step way out, and I'd have...you guessed it...gone off anyway.
Doesn't help that this was my first (and only) experience with a low traction situation. I remember thinking about wanting to ride some dirt doubletrack that was near one of the caches we were after, so I could get just a little experience with it earlier in the day.

* Bad planning - I saw how much water was streaming across the road, and I should have turned us around to go back the way I'd intended originally, so we could avoid 120th ave after dark. (If you're following along on the map, we'd taken a right instead of a left at York and 124th. I'd intended to go 124th to Steele to Madison to home.)

* Equipment not up to snuff - As I found out last night, the tires are worn to the point of replacement. They've been OK for dry pavement, and have done OK so far in the wet they've been in. They are (and were before last night) at the top of the list for Stuff To Replace Over The Winter. This bike has a history of being able to go long periods on the same tires. The front MEZ4B has 19742 miles on it (unless the PO forgot to annotate a tire change - which is likely, I don't think the bike actually has an MEZ4 up front anymore), and the rear Michelin Road has 13250. (Point to note: This bike has seen lots of commuter duty in its past, and those are surprisingly average mileage figures...for this bike. The prior owners consistently got 16-18k out of fronts and 11k-15k out of the rears.)

* Last Ride Of The Year syndrome - Knowing that the tires need replacing RSN, and having put both bikes up "for the season" a couple weeks ago (though I hadn't put in any Sta-bil yet - that was the plan for the first week in November), going out yesterday was sort of an impulse ride, because it was perfectly lovely out, and 80*. We could have gone geocaching in one of the cars, but nooo. Too nice a day to waste, right?

All in all, this was an important lesson that came at a much smaller cost than it could have.

So, what *should* I be feeling? Stupid? Remorseful? Sad?
Why *shouldn't* it be a celebration? As a new rider over the age of 40, the odds are very, very likely that no matter what I do, I'll have at least one off in the first three years of riding.
Now I know how that statistically likely off happens, and it's my own fault. I learned some important poo poo last night, and I'm a better rider for it. Why *shouldn't* I celebrate that?

(and it's Evel Knievel)

(and this:

Z3n posted:

I dunno, after my first drop I felt pretty relieved. After all, the entire world tells you you're going to die horribly if your bike so much as falls over, but the reality of the situation is that it's more than possible to crash a motorcycle and live to tell the tale. It's not a pleasant experience, but it's not a life ending one either.
Not only did I not die horribly, but I don't have even the slightest scuffing on my gear. No gnarly post-crash pictures of my ripped up gear to post. This is a good thing.)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 19, 2009

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

It's not a milestone. Not everybody crashes, and it isn't something to be proud of unless your name is Evil Kenevil.

This should be in the OP.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Only if it's spelled correctly. :)

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Imagine if you applied the newbie crash to everything.

"Woo, got my first newb STD out of the way."
"Woo, got my first newb broken bone out of the way."
"Woo, got my first newb food poisoning out of the way."

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Jack the Smack posted:

Imagine if you applied the newbie crash to everything.

"Woo, got my first newb STD out of the way."
"Woo, got my first newb broken bone out of the way."
"Woo, got my first newb food poisoning out of the way."

"Woo, got my first aneurysm from someone being annoying on the internet out of the way."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You shouldn't be super concerned about the rear end stepping out a bit in situations with low traction. Just be smooth and once you feel it start to struggle for grip or step out hold it where it is. It'll find traction and keep you going forward. Smoothness is super key in situations with inconsistent grip.

It may seem strange to slow down before an obstacle only to gas it through it, but that's just how it's done on a motorcycle.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Jabs posted:

DZ - The celebration comes from knowing that I'm going to drop the bike *eventually*, some way, some how, someday. Considering that dual sport touring is one of my long term goals, I imagine that over the course of the next two decades, it'll be more than just this once, no matter how painstakingly careful I am.

And this is why I say you have a bad not the right attitude.I don't mean this as "you are a bad person" or "you are a bad biker", please understand. What I'm trying to say is that, yes, statistically over time a person stands a huge chance of dropping your bike. However, if you are painstakingly careful, you can avoid dumping your bike. It shouldn't be seen with the inevitability of aging or taxes. A huge part of avoiding a crash is keeping your attitude that "everything's out to kill me, but today, I will avoid it."

Yes, I was harsh on you earlier, and I apologize for that. However, I feel that 99% of crashes are avoidable. I don't feel it's a good attitude to celebrate something you could have avoided. Now a big part of me being a jerk to you, is that newbie riders are also reading this thread, and I don't want them to go "Oh, hey cool. All I have to do is get my first out of the way and I'm good." because that first might be their last.

quote:

So, what *should* I be feeling? Stupid? Remorseful? Sad?
Why *shouldn't* it be a celebration? As a new rider over the age of 40, the odds are very, very likely that no matter what I do, I'll have at least one off in the first three years of riding.
Now I know how that statistically likely off happens, and it's my own fault. I learned some important poo poo last night, and I'm a better rider for it. Why *shouldn't* I celebrate that?

(and it's Evel Knievel)

(and this:

Not only did I not die horribly, but I don't have even the slightest scuffing on my gear. No gnarly post-crash pictures of my ripped up gear to post. This is a good thing.)

I hesitate to tell you what to feel, since that's you. I can tell you that I've dropped a bike once, on my very first ride. I suppose you may say that's excusable, and I should celebrate, but to this day, I feel like an idiot because it was avoidable. I've also had some incredibly close calls. I am not proud of those, because I could drat well have killed myself.

The fact that the first thing you did was pump your fists and go "WHOOO HOOO" is what prompted my reaction.

Feeling good at being alive and relatively unhurt is one thing, and I wholeheartedly understand that. It's good you learned something - just don't act like it's some kind of rite of passage. Let me just explain my attitude with an anecdote.

In my MSF class, we had to tell everyone why we wanted to take the class. One kid had already been riding for a while, and had crashed twice. The first time was "understandable because it was his first." The second time, he ended up in the hospital with a closed head injury that took him 18 months to recover from. He didn't think he needed to be in class, but he had to go if he wanted to keep his endorsement. He was actually smug about crashing, like it made him a better rider than the rest of us.

Just don't be that guy. :D

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Doctor Zero posted:

Yes, I was harsh on you earlier, and I apologize for that. However, I feel that 99% of crashes are avoidable.
Just don't be that guy. :D
c.f. the part where I listed the contributing factors and the things I could have done to avoid it. While I celebrate the learning experience that did not kill me, it hurts like gently caress today.

You and I have spent some time on Vent together (Ryzom, IIRC), so I heard what you had to say, in your tone of voice, even, and no offense taken. I didn't even think it was all that harsh.

Doctor Zero posted:

I hesitate to tell you what to feel, since that's you.
The fact that the first thing you did was pump your fists and go "WHOOO HOOO" is what prompted my reaction.

Feeling good at being alive and relatively unhurt is one thing, and I wholeheartedly understand that. It's good you learned something - just don't act like it's some kind of rite of passage.
I'm sort of a peculiar duck when it comes to feelings anyway. Good things happen, and "it's a thing that can happen". Same holds true for bad things. They're all 'stuff that can happen'.
An off is just a thing that can happen. If you do everything as you should, it *probably* won't happen. That doesn't mean that if you do everything you should, it *can't* happen, just that you've minimized the risk to the best of your ability. It's still 'a thing that can happen', and it's up to you to decide how you feel about it when it does.
I crashed last night. I learned a few things. I didn't die horribly. I choose to see it as a positive experience, albeit one I have no desire to repeat.

Extremity
Aug 14, 2004

Hand job.
I am a VERY new rider. Never riden dirt bikes, nothing. I sold my last car because I couldn't afford the payments. After a few months of my girlfriend driving me to work my family and I decided a bike would be easier on me financially, considering I could still use the girlfriend's car if the weather prohibited a safe ride. I tried to be responsible and took the MSF class and got my endorsement before even looking for a bike, and when I did eventually buy it I practiced in parking lots until I felt comfortable with the size/weight of it.

I ended up with this bike after a few weeks of searching (2005 Yamaha FZ6):

I work at a Gamestop in an outdoor shopping center and I was heading to the back door. There's a bit of windy road going behind a Target to get to my work, and there's a straightaway before a big left turn. As I approached the turn I felt like I was going too fast - the bike wasn't turning as sharp as the road was and I felt like I was going to clip the outside curb. In reality, I should have just leaned into it and I would have been fine... unfortunately, I was an idiot and the instinct to slow down kicked in.

Braking reduced whatever lean I may have had and I headed pretty much straight towards the curb. My front tire clipped it and I instinctively shot my right leg out to catch myself. The next part happened pretty quick but from what I can recall my right foot hit the ground, caught on something, and my leg snapped. The next thing I remember was laying in the road with the bike on its side in front of me. Luckily I was wearing a helmet because my head smashed pretty hard on the concrete. Called 911, the rest is history.

I'm still pretty upset with myself considering this entire thing could have been avoided if I had just stuck to what my instructors had told me. One of the main things they would say is that a majority of accidents not involving another vehicle happen in turns, and to always look where I want to go and just follow through with the turn. I did the exact opposite - panicing, breaking, and looking to the side of the road where I thought I was going instead of where I WANTED to go. The fall was also very slow speed and if I hadn't shot my leg out like an idiot I probably would have just dropped the bike and rode away. I don't have any pictures of the bike yet, but from what my parents told me its just a little scratched up with a broken turn signal and mirror, along with the foot rest by the back brake (i don't know what it's called) snapped off.

Pics of actual broken leg, possibly NSFW and gross:
http://www.antosino.com/sa/actual.jpg
http://www.antosino.com/sa/actual2.jpg

I am now bionic:

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I love riding and would love to continue but I feel like this happening within about a week of purchasing the bike might be a sign that I should stick to cars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think it's more of a sign that you picked the wrong bike. A large, heavy 600 with 90+ hp makes it really, really easy to get into trouble.

However, if you feel that you're done with riding, no one should be trying to convince you to get back into it, that's a decision that you have to make for yourself. I would recommend finding a smaller displacement, lighter bike, one that's going to be more responsive and forgiving than the FZ6, such as a ninja 250, GS500, DRZ400, etc.

Heal up fast!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
To the guy who crushed his nads on his tank, sup fellow tank crusher

http://sepwich.com/sep/bike/100_0441.JPG

This was back in 07, luckily it wasn't a full on blow to the balls but still hurt like a bitch.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Extremity posted:

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I love riding and would love to continue but I feel like this happening within about a week of purchasing the bike might be a sign that I should stick to cars.

Yes, because it makes sense to kill innocent pedestrians instead of yourself.

You hosed up on a bike, yes. That doesn't automatically make cars a safer choice for humanity. Listen to Zen and buy a bike with a displacement you're able to control.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Z3n posted:

DRZ400.

I think I'm going to have to disagree and say this isn't the best bike for a new rider. Yes, smaller displacement is better for a new rider, and a lighter bike is also better, but this thing is very light and makes for a sort-of rediculous ride. Just sayin'

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

T-Square posted:

I think I'm going to have to disagree and say this isn't the best bike for a new rider. Yes, smaller displacement is better for a new rider, and a lighter bike is also better, but this thing is very light and makes for a sort-of rediculous ride. Just sayin'

+1

After riding a DRZ for 6,000 hooligan miles, it in no way should be suggested to a new rider. Yes, it is lighter, but the power to weight ratio can easily make you wheelie the bike and do unpredictable things.

DRZ should only be suggested for riders that have experience and know how to be a hooligan without seriously injuring themselves.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Just to throw my $.02 in: Older bikes are the suggestion I would make. Something like an older ex500 (ninja 500), GS500, or a XJ600 Seca II. All really forgiving bikes, you'll learn a lot on em, and they have enough performance to be fun.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

Extremity posted:

Luckily I was wearing a helmet because my head smashed pretty hard on the concrete.
Always wear a helmet.

What the people above said about bikes, and on the plus side - your motorcycling experiences can only get better from here.
That's a pretty impressive x ray, hope you get better quickly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

T-Square posted:

Revenant.Eagle posted:

+1

After riding a DRZ for 6,000 hooligan miles, it in no way should be suggested to a new rider. Yes, it is lighter, but the power to weight ratio can easily make you wheelie the bike and do unpredictable things.

DRZ should only be suggested for riders that have experience and know how to be a hooligan without seriously injuring themselves.

I disagree completely. It makes 30ish HP (stock) with a 320 pound wet weight. That's only 10 pound lighter than the Ninja 250 and a couple of HP more.
Couple that with the fact that it crashes very well, with cheap parts and it's a great starter bike.

Just because you can ride it like a hooligan doesn't mean you have to. If you get it upgraded with a new carb, pipe, cams, base gaskets, etc, then yes, it'll start pushing into the 40s and would be less of a good beginner bike, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a stock or lightly modded DRZ to a new rider.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I disagree completely. It makes 30ish HP (stock) with a 320 pound wet weight. That's only 10 pound lighter than the Ninja 250 and a couple of HP more.
Couple that with the fact that it crashes very well, with cheap parts and it's a great starter bike.

Just because you can ride it like a hooligan doesn't mean you have to. If you get it upgraded with a new carb, pipe, cams, base gaskets, etc, then yes, it'll start pushing into the 40s and would be less of a good beginner bike, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a stock or lightly modded DRZ to a new rider.

They had a drz at the MSF I took.
+1 :rolleyes:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My girlfriend and two of my friends nearly had the displeasure of watching me on my Ninja 500 explode into a deer tonight. I was leading a car of those friends down a dark road outside RIT in Rochester, when a deer emerged with a deft suddenness and sprinted furiously across the road, clearly wanting to collide with me. I was going around 50, and immediately slammed on the brakes. It was inevitable, and my Ninja fishtailed to a near-stop.

The deer's rear end was up tight against my headlight, both of us in motion, perpendicular to each other... the fur brushed against my bike... then it was gone. The deer was gone.

Missed a deer-explosion by a few millimeters.

I started cheering on my bike after the first 30 seconds of shock. I looked over for hair or other stuff after I parked. Nothing. My gf and friends really, really thought I was a goner, that my little Ninja missile was gonna explode and spray deer and walkin dude all over the road.

I was wearing my Joe Rocket jacket, helmet, knee pads, boots, and my Knox back protector.

I feel invincible now. Lucky as gently caress. Thank loving god I had that instant reaction.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

Oh Deer.

You must have balls the size of grapefruits. I would simply be unable to ride in the dark around RIT out of sheer terror of hitting a deer. I hit one and near-missed another in my car within the span of a week. They were loving EVERYWHERE when I was there at school.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Ironically enough, after I pulled up to the Jefferson-John St intersection (this happened by the nearby porn store) and turned to my friends in their car to express my gestural shock, I immediately blasted off toward the Hess gas station and put in full throttle, going wayyyy over the speed limit to shake off the shock. Nearly hitting a deer like that made me thunder madly down the road, all pumped up with adrenaline, all the way to the on-campus apartments. Never had a close encounter with a deer, with 5 years of life here in Rochester, and this was the first.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

And that's why you let the cars go first to act as "sweepers."

• Locked thread