Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Gromit posted:

I can't speak for Win 7, but I've yet to find anything that performs as fast and smooth as ACDSee version 3, and that must be a decade old.
Everything else I've tried won't quickly go through images as I scroll the mouse wheel, or don't have such a nice thumbnail viewer.

Nice. While I have used other programs over the years for management it is still Acdsee 3.1 for viewing. Its just damned snappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

OgNar posted:

Nice. While I have used other programs over the years for management it is still Acdsee 3.1 for viewing. Its just damned snappy.

The latest acdsee 2009 regular edition is just as fast. I love that software.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Aturaten posted:

Download a boot disk, find the file, run the install from DOS. Chances are, NTFS 4 DOS Pro is your best bet. It's on the Ultimate Boot CD as well.
If this does not work, use a Linux Live CD (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download, burn it to a disc using a program that can burn ISOs or if your computer can boot from USB devices you can extract the ISO to a USB device, boot from the dics and choose the option that let's you run it without installing), copy the files you downloaded to your other computer using whatever method you want. You can do it via FTP, USB stick, burning the files to disc, whatever. Use Ubuntu to blast the partition using the Disk Partition manager, and then find a Windows disc to install Windows so you can then upgrade it again. If you don't have a Windows disc or a recovery partition then give the finger to the person that gave it to you without a disc and remember that you're supposed to back up your files before you upgrade your OS. Not that backing up would have helped if you have no disc though.

Edit: Or, if you can just download the files again, throw in a Windows disc and try again.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 25, 2009

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

LooseChanj posted:

I don't think there's been a DOS based setup since forever? I don't think XP even has one.

DOS initiated setup. Last actual DOS setup was 95.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Aturaten posted:

DOS initiated setup. Last actual DOS setup was 95.

That was the program that made the floppies to boot from and install from the CD. I think the last time they used that was NT4.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
I have no idea how, but I went directly from Windows 2008 Server x64 to 7 Professional x64 no problems what so ever... IE: Went right from a server OS to a consumer OS, with out having to revert back to a consumer OS like XP to install. Works great.

mrchina fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 25, 2009

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
I've got an ATI 4870 and a Sound Blaster X-fi XtremeGamer sound card. I've got 2 questions:

A. Are there any known driver issues with either of those?
B. Is it worth the money to upgrade? I currently have Vista and I don't really have any complaints or issues. Is the upgrade easy, and is the difference noticable and good?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I feel like a dumbass for asking, but I'm going to do it anyway. I bought a Dell Studio 15 a couple of months ago that qualified for a free Win7 upgrade from Dell. They seem to be dragging their feet, so I went ahead and bought a copy of Home Premium 7 this evening.

What I'd like to do is go ahead and install 7 Premium and when Dell gets their poo poo sorted out, switch from the activation key I purchased to the activation key Dell sends for Home Premium 7. The plan is to put the purchased copy on Craigslist or Ebay and get (most of) my money back. Or give it to someone as Christmas present. Or something.

The question is: Will this fly? If I deactivate one key and activate another, will Microsoft allow another activation against the first key? It seems like they wouldn't care.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Capnbigboobies posted:

I still don't get why people are going with digitalriver when you can just go with Microsoft directly.
EDIT: Are goons too scared to pick up the phone and call Microsoft?

Probably a bunch of us saw the $30 deal and figured we'd grab it before hearing about the phone option?

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

Zarithas posted:

I've got an ATI 4870 and a Sound Blaster X-fi XtremeGamer sound card. I've got 2 questions:

B. Is it worth the money to upgrade? I currently have Vista and I don't really have any complaints or issues. Is the upgrade easy, and is the difference noticable and good?

My computer will barely even run Vista with Aero on, Windows 7 is faster than XP.

You MAY have driver issues, but they're rare. Most drivers that work on Vista work on 7.

DAMN IT
Apr 29, 2008

Moktaro posted:

Probably a bunch of us saw the $30 deal and figured we'd grab it before hearing about the phone option?

Yep. At the time, I figured $30 was my cheapest option so I jumped on it. Now of course, I have my free Ultimate key from MS ExpertZone and 2 free Pro keys from MSDNAA, so this 741/DigitalRiver thing ended up being a waste of money.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Zarithas posted:

I have the xtremegamer fatal1ty and whatever creatives win7 x-fi drivers are have been working just fine since I installed the RC back in june or whenever.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

keyframe posted:

The latest acdsee 2009 regular edition is just as fast. I love that software.

I've been disappointed with the performance of every new release I've tried, but I'll admit I haven't given that one a go. All I want is a viewer - I don't need all the management, albums, editing etc that they bloat it with.
I would have settled for some freeware tool years ago, but they are all just abysmal.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Ok, final question: will all my settings and registry entries transfer without any conflicts? Like, will the Desktop and launch bars look almost identical to my pre-upgrade one, in terms of icons and arrangement? And will application settings transfer over as well?

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

So I remember reading a long time ago that Windows 7 Remote Desktop was going to support things like DirectX 10/Aero. I see no way of getting that to work, though. If it does work (somehow), is it workable on an XP/Vista client as well?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Zarithas posted:

Ok, final question: will all my settings and registry entries transfer without any conflicts? Like, will the Desktop and launch bars look almost identical to my pre-upgrade one, in terms of icons and arrangement? And will application settings transfer over as well?
If you are able to do an upgrade it should transfer over. If you are going from 32 bit to 64 bit you have to do a clean install, so settings and applications won't transfer over but files will be moved into a folder called WINDOWS.OLD.

I had the black screen crash again, this time I had my headphones on and there was a nice buzz. It's not hardware, as I played through most of Crysis in one sitting without getting a computer crash (two application crashes though, but it was nice enough not to lock everything and let me ctrl-alt-del out :argh:). The last crash was while watching a flash video on gametrailers a few minutes after restarting because of my oversized mouse cursor, the first time it happened was while switching between two windows.

In what world do we live in that a 3D game that still gives my computer a workout does not crash my computer, but changing windows does. At least one other person has this exact same issue, and he has an ATI card. If it's their drivers I'll scream. :argh:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/e44b5516-0e61-4ddd-b781-67b51938caf6

Edit:

TreFitty posted:

So I remember reading a long time ago that Windows 7 Remote Desktop was going to support things like DirectX 10/Aero. I see no way of getting that to work, though. If it does work (somehow), is it workable on an XP/Vista client as well?
Remote desktop works by the host sending commands of what to do and display to the client, the client would need to also support this.

Edit 2: Event Viewer gives no information on the crash, it just says that there was an unexpected shutdown and gives no error codes.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 25, 2009

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gromit posted:

but they are all just abysmal.

even irfanview? it's awesome because it does everything I want a viewer to do, and I don't really know it's there.. plus the features that are available are really handy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

24 hours in now with 7 Home Premium installed on my almost 3 year old Inspiron 1505 (1.5gb RAM, Core 2 Duo 1.66ghz), I had previous installed the RC on my ancient desktop but I didn't want to mess with may main computer until I had my actual CDs.

Aside from a little bit of bumpiness getting my Mobility x1400 up and running, it's been great. This is without a doubt the snappiest this computer has ever felt. It shipped with XP Media Edition with Vista Express upgrade and I basically used Vista on it from the time I got my hands on it. I really liked Vista and enjoyed it for over two years I was using it on that notebook, but 7 is just so drat polished.

One thing that kind of impressed me, Windows Media Player plays downloaded HD Quicktime trailers without having to install anything extra (at least the trailers I had lying around on disk).

Oh, and my computer can finally play 480p Hulu video fullscreen without dropping frames like crazy.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

I feel like a dumbass for asking, but I'm going to do it anyway. I bought a Dell Studio 15 a couple of months ago that qualified for a free Win7 upgrade from Dell. They seem to be dragging their feet, so I went ahead and bought a copy of Home Premium 7 this evening.

What I'd like to do is go ahead and install 7 Premium and when Dell gets their poo poo sorted out, switch from the activation key I purchased to the activation key Dell sends for Home Premium 7. The plan is to put the purchased copy on Craigslist or Ebay and get (most of) my money back. Or give it to someone as Christmas present. Or something.

The question is: Will this fly? If I deactivate one key and activate another, will Microsoft allow another activation against the first key? It seems like they wouldn't care.

You can have the RTM running for 30 days without needing a key, or you could 'rearm' it and keep it going for ~90 120 days without needing a key.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 25, 2009

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

TreFitty posted:

Vista's Remote Desktop supported Aero Glass, and so does Windows 7's.

The rub is that if you're connecting from a Windows 7 client and the server is Vista, glass can't be enabled; and vice versa. It only works Vista-to-Vista and 7-to-7 or 7-to-Server2008.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

4 Day Weekend posted:

You can have the RTM running for 30 days without needing a key, or you could 'rearm' it and keep it going for ~90 days without needing a key.

You can actually rearm 3 times for 30 days each, giving you a total usage of 120 days without activation.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
After a succesful install, I've discovered that the drivers that Windows Update wants to install for my Nvidia Geforce Go 6800 don't jive with windows 7. After the install/restart, I only get a blank screen, and have to system restore so that I can go back to using the onboard VGA video option. Given that this is such an old card (circa 2005), is there any chance that Nvidia plans of making a new driver for this, or am I hosed in 1024x768 perpetuity?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

You can actually rearm 3 times for 30 days each, giving you a total usage of 120 days without activation.

Knew it was either 90 or 120. Thanks.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Gromit posted:

I've been disappointed with the performance of every new release I've tried, but I'll admit I haven't given that one a go. All I want is a viewer - I don't need all the management, albums, editing etc that they bloat it with.
I would have settled for some freeware tool years ago, but they are all just abysmal.

Yea I hear you.

the acdsee 2009 image viewer is just that. None of the edit\albums\etc bullshit its just a amazingly fast viewer. I have tried all the free ones and decided acdsee is well worth the money.

Give the 2009 trial a go if you are on the fence.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

TreFitty posted:

What version are you running? I think this is a ultimate only feature. Which is loving retarded.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jewmanji posted:

After a succesful install, I've discovered that the drivers that Windows Update wants to install for my Nvidia Geforce Go 6800 don't jive with windows 7. After the install/restart, I only get a blank screen, and have to system restore so that I can go back to using the onboard VGA video option. Given that this is such an old card (circa 2005), is there any chance that Nvidia plans of making a new driver for this, or am I hosed in 1024x768 perpetuity?

Install the driver you want that works and uncheck it's update entry in Windows update?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I've got 7 installed and running and... I'm indifferent so far.

It was high time to abandon XP, so I'm not regretting the switch, but I was expecting some kind of "oh hey neato" response (if not outright "WOW!") from the new OS. I feel like maybe I just haven't found some of the new features and stuff that are neat.

So, if I may, let's post some of our favorite new features/finds/etc so other people will know about about them!

My entry: I've used OS X for a while and I love hitting command+spacebar to search the computer. Now I can just mash Windows key and start typing a search.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

biznatchio posted:

Vista's Remote Desktop supported Aero Glass, and so does Windows 7's.

The rub is that if you're connecting from a Windows 7 client and the server is Vista, glass can't be enabled; and vice versa. It only works Vista-to-Vista and 7-to-7 or 7-to-Server2008.

Even more of a rub, it has to be Ultimate to Ultimate. Even Win7 Pro doesn't support Aero over remote desktop. It sucks, but after RC1 they took away all the DirectX acceleration stuff over Aero last minute, I think the only thing accelerated now is Windwos Media foundation stuff through Windows Media Player.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

echinopsis posted:

even irfanview? it's awesome because it does everything I want a viewer to do, and I don't really know it's there.. plus the features that are available are really handy.
I know I've tried it and rejected it, but I don't know why off the top of my head. Maybe I'll install it again to refresh my memory.

keyframe posted:

the acdsee 2009 image viewer is just that. None of the edit\albums\etc bullshit its just a amazingly fast viewer. I have tried all the free ones and decided acdsee is well worth the money.

Give the 2009 trial a go if you are on the fence.

So that's their Photo Manager 2009? It sounds like more than a viewer, but also sounds like the least "feature rich" out of all their stuff, so could be it.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

scarymonkey posted:

Even more of a rub, it has to be Ultimate to Ultimate. Even Win7 Pro doesn't support Aero over remote desktop. It sucks, but after RC1 they took away all the DirectX acceleration stuff over Aero last minute, I think the only thing accelerated now is Windwos Media foundation stuff through Windows Media Player.

Indeed. I found this out when I went to the Pro RTM. It really is a shame because I spend a lot of time in RDC and aero basic is just so unappealing to look at without glass, especially if you like a darker environment which you sure as hell don't get with basic. It's not Ultimate to Ultimate though. I'm also running Pro on my netbook, but still running the RC (Ultimate) on one of my desktops and glass still works over remote.

It's just like they did with Vista. I'd been hunting around to see if there was any kind of tweak to get around it for either OS but so far haven't come up with anything.

Vampirehobo
Jan 20, 2008
Criminal justice sandwich! Now with 40% less carbs!
I know this has probably been answered, and is a vague question, but this thread is so long.. I was thinking about picking up 7 because the student discount is really nice, is it worth it? I'd be going from XP to 7, I never got Vista because of all the problems I heard about it.

I do game on my computer, but primarily I just use it for bumming around on the internet and whatnot. Though when D3 and SC2 come along I will probably never leave my computer's warm glow.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yes. I went from XP to 7 as well. Games work great in it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I'm digging the pseudo touch they implement if you have a graphics tablet.
It basically adapts the touch movement controls to the tablet, makes navigating things a bit slicker.

A neat trick people forget is you can assign shortcut keys in random applications.

You go to shortcut properties and assign something under "shortcut keys"

Pretty swish for stuff like the snipping tool.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

WebDog posted:

I'm digging the pseudo touch they implement if you have a graphics tablet.
It basically adapts the touch movement controls to the tablet, makes navigating things a bit slicker.

A neat trick people forget is you can assign shortcut keys in random applications.

You go to shortcut properties and assign something under "shortcut keys"

This has been there since at least XP...

grobo
Feb 6, 2001
I just installed 64 bit Windows 7. How come under system info it says:

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 Gig (3.00 usable)

Does that mean its not using all my RAM?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

grobo posted:

Does it definitely say "system type: 64-bit"?

grobo
Feb 6, 2001
Yep. Its the first thing I looked for.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

WebDog posted:

I like that tool, but almost every time I want to use it in Vista it tells me it's busted and I need to reboot. I've no idea if this happens to anyone else, but hopefully Win7 makes it go away if it does.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Install the driver you want that works and uncheck it's update entry in Windows update?

As far as I can tell, there is no other appropriate driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartwright
Jan 2, 2006

Experience the evolution.

grobo posted:

Check your bios for a memory remapping feature and turn that on. Solved my ram issues.