Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

I don't particularly like that one; the Crawford seems better. But there are a few other companies coming out with their own at the moment.
Any particular reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traumatizedslug
Feb 24, 2007
Well I gone an' dunnit...
Picked up a new 2010 WRX yesterday

Damnit every time the tach hits 3000 its like :flashfap:

Now I'm sure everyone here drives like a responsible human being, but I really hope that other WRX owners stop driving like asstards and driving up the insurance rates... Insurance premiums nearly doubled.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

traumatizedslug posted:

Now I'm sure everyone here drives like a responsible human being, but I really hope that other WRX owners stop driving like asstards and driving up the insurance rates... Insurance premiums nearly doubled.
This is why I bought a legacy GT.
For every person who drives fast, there's 3 people who just wanted to option out the car.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Just Another XY posted:

Hi guys.
My 2009 WRX is being awesome, as it has been for the last 5000 miles. But I digress – I'm looking to install a turboback & exhaust for my car.

Anybody have any opinion on this? I'm definitely going to have it tuned, preferably by a reputable shop such as HBSpeed up in Fountain Valley.

As for complications, I'm worried about two things:
1) Passing smog, since I'm assuming its a catless DP (yes?), also I live in California, so does anybody else have experience with legality?
2) Engine-life – After tune, I'm going to predict at least 25hp+ gain, due to dp/exhaust, correct? So what parts should I be careful wearing out prematurely in the future?

Thanks for your help guys, the WRX is truly the first car I gave more than a rat's rear end about, and I don't want to mod it stupidly. This stuff is expensive, but loving it up with lovely parts and naivéte now will gently caress it up more in the future.

You can get catless and catted DPs. There might be a CARB approved one, but I kind of doubt it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tremblay posted:

You can get catless and catted DPs. There might be a CARB approved one, but I kind of doubt it.
I don't think there is one.
Be very careful with it too, one of the major companies (Invidia maybe?) was selling a "CARB legal" downpipe. It was actually a CARB OBD I cat welded on to a downpipe. Not legal on anything it would fit on. Look for an EO number and chec it on CARB's site.

That said, get a catted-DP. It won't stink or sound like an uncatted exhaust, giving no PC to search under your hood for cops.

When you eventually, have to get it smoged (6 years after the MY), you could just remove it.

Engine life, it won't change it by any meaningful amount. Expect additional blow-by from the extra boost, but check oil every fillup and you'll be fine.
(hence why I'm shopping A/O separators)

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as a cockbag :( But if you've replaced your rad, this will be a cakewalk. What kind of Subaru is it again??

Sall good. I didn't take it personally. 03 wrx with 88kish miles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

traumatizedslug posted:

I love being over 25. $852 /year for full coverage on my car, liability only would be less than half that.

traumatizedslug
Feb 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I love being over 25. $852 /year for full coverage on my car, liability only would be less than half that.

drat you...

31, clean driving record and I'm at 1100 now...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

traumatizedslug posted:

drat you...

31, clean driving record and I'm at 1100 now...

Ha, you're even older than I am.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
So I have an '04 Impreza 2.5t and I need to change my spark plugs. Any reccomended brands I should look at picking up?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Backno posted:

So I have an '04 Impreza 2.5t and I need to change my spark plugs. Any reccomended brands I should look at picking up?

NGK or OEM.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
My '08 WRX gets 12 miles per gallon (city driving only). Should I start worrying? I thought the on-board computer might be messed up, but calculating it myself gives me 10,7 miles per gallon, doing roughly 180 miles with each gas tank (16.9 gal).

When I first got the car my MPG rating was a little better, but still not nearly as good as the 19 MPG advertised. I thought it was because I was enjoying the new car too much, so I started driving slower. As in, never-above-3000rpm slow (5spd).

Should I take it to the dealership?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

internet inc posted:

but calculating it myself gives me 10,7 miles per gallon.

Holy poo poo. Is it possible someone is siphoning your gas?

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

internet inc posted:

My '08 WRX gets 12 miles per gallon (city driving only). Should I start worrying? I thought the on-board computer might be messed up, but calculating it myself gives me 10,7 miles per gallon, doing roughly 180 miles with each gas tank (16.9 gal).

When I first got the car my MPG rating was a little better, but still not nearly as good as the 19 MPG advertised. I thought it was because I was enjoying the new car too much, so I started driving slower. As in, never-above-3000rpm slow (5spd).

You didn't dump any leaded gas in it at some point did you? I'd make a guess that one of your O2 sensors is fragged, telling the ecu to run rich as hell.

Take it to a shop and get an OBD-II diag on it at least.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

internet inc posted:

Are you driving around at redline in first gear or something? :wtc:

I'm averaging 23-25MPG in the city (@4k' elevation) with my 08 WRX stage II with tuned mapping, it'll jump to around 28-30 with the econo map.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Anecdotal, but I heard the stock AFR on the new STi's and WRX's is very rich.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
Long trips I get ~22-24. Around town its 19-20. 09 WRX with Cobb stage 1 flash. 10 is pretty bad. Definitely take it in.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

McSpatula posted:

I'm averaging 23-25MPG in the city (@4k' elevation) with my 08 WRX stage II with tuned mapping, it'll jump to around 28-30 with the econo map.

Holy poo poo, I'm kind of new to turbo Subarus, and I was totally unaware of how many options the AccessPort gives you.

Is it really just as simple as just plugging the flasher guy in and uploading the map you want to use at that time? Like, I could keep it in Economy mode during the week when my wife drives it and switch it back for the weekend without too much hassle? :D

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

warwick5s posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm kind of new to turbo Subarus, and I was totally unaware of how many options the AccessPort gives you.

Is it really just as simple as just plugging the flasher guy in and uploading the map you want to use at that time? Like, I could keep it in Economy mode during the week when my wife drives it and switch it back for the weekend without too much hassle? :D

Yes. Although put the thing down on the floor or something while its flashing the ECU. On mine the USB cable has enough play that it can break the connection :(.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

warwick5s posted:

Yup.

Oddly, Im running stage 2 ots cobb map, and get 18-19 mpg city, and barely ever go over 3500 rpm. I tossed the economy map on and got around 17-18 mpg, driving the same. On a recent highway trip cruising around 70mph with the stage 2 map, i got 24-25 mpg.

07 wrx, catless dp, 3 inch exhaust. turbos xs huge tmic, 18 inch wheels.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

McSpatula posted:

As I said, the 10 MPG I got while I was driving cautiously, always under 3k rpm. I let the car run for a minute or two while having a smoke before leaving work today and the exhaust gazes smelled like unburned fuel.

Wouldn't I have noticed a significant drop in performance if the air-fuel ratio was messed up, though?

Anyway, I'm off to the dealership first thing in the morning on Monday.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

c355n4 posted:

NGK or OEM.

Thank you

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

internet inc posted:

As I said, the 10 MPG I got while I was driving cautiously, always under 3k rpm. I let the car run for a minute or two while having a smoke before leaving work today and the exhaust gazes smelled like unburned fuel.

Wouldn't I have noticed a significant drop in performance if the air-fuel ratio was messed up, though?

Anyway, I'm off to the dealership first thing in the morning on Monday.

If you smell fuel then something is definitely out of whack.

Would think so.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
09 WRX with 5k miles checking in –
Came in tonight and noticed a small puddle of motor oil in the bay where I usually park my car. Popped the hood (after an hour's drive, and at 1am), and didn't see any obvious oil leaks/smell anything aside from hot engine.

Checked the oil levels, looks perfectly okay.

Background –
I brought the car (against my better judgment) to the dealership to get my free oil change ~1.5k miles ago, and only noticed the oil now.

I think I'll bring it in to the dealership on Monday, and see if they can spot anything, can anybody give me pointers on what to look out for especially on WRXs?
Thanks.

(haven't noticed any performance decreases whatsoever)

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Just Another XY posted:

09 WRX with 5k miles checking in –
Came in tonight and noticed a small puddle of motor oil in the bay where I usually park my car. Popped the hood (after an hour's drive, and at 1am), and didn't see any obvious oil leaks/smell anything aside from hot engine.

Checked the oil levels, looks perfectly okay.

Background –
I brought the car (against my better judgment) to the dealership to get my free oil change ~1.5k miles ago, and only noticed the oil now.

I think I'll bring it in to the dealership on Monday, and see if they can spot anything, can anybody give me pointers on what to look out for especially on WRXs?
Thanks.

(haven't noticed any performance decreases whatsoever)

The oil is fresh?

No mess on top of the engine (loose oil filler cap)?

Possibly double O ring on the oil filter but doubtful.

Oil that dripped on the undertray and finally made it to the floor would be my vote.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 24, 2009

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Doesn't seem like it, it's a little dark and murky, but without too much of a smell. I'm going to go out this morning and see if any new oil has leaked. :(

ub818
Feb 19, 2003
Yuv goat tae huv a go!

Just Another XY posted:

Doesn't seem like it, it's a little dark and murky, but without too much of a smell. I'm going to go out this morning and see if any new oil has leaked. :(

I hope that its something simple.

There's a crush washer on the drainplug... It might be possible that the first oil change on the car the original washer was stuck to the pan (from the factory subaru paints the pan/drainplug and the word is that it takes a breaker bar and your own gorilla to get it off) I'm thinking that the dealership put another crush washer on? two of them might prove to leak?

check oil level and hopefully the leak isn't serious

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to update my earlier post about the troubles I was having with my Legacy Spec.B. I found a way to fix it...

Last '09 STi at South Coast and it had some killer incentives as a result. I LOVE this car. I've only driven it 60 miles so far but it is light years better than the Legacy, as you'd expect. The interior is amazing, the shifter clicks smoothly but tightly into gear, and it is exactly what I'd expect from a proper Subaru. Every single thing that upset me about the Legacy is fixed here, from the sloppy shifter to the mushy suspenion to the poo poo NAV, and most importantly, the hesitation and stutter is gone from the engine. I'm in love.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Nice GRB. Wish I was baller enough to just straight up buy a new car when I have issues with mine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Is it plausible that a bad wheel bearing may cause the abs to go off at low speeds under a lot of wheel lock?

I'm still struggling with my stupid noise in coming from my driver's wheel.

I had it looked at, and they said everything was fine, it's just the caliper slid pins were frozen and my disc was out of round (which I knew) so i was getting scraping noises on turns.

I replaced the front discs and cleaned up and lubed the slide pins. It made some difference, but not a great amount. I'm noticing on my new disc that I'm getting a ring about where the holding clips for the pads are. Looking at the thing, there's nothing out of alignment and there seems to be no way it could possibly be coming in contact with the bracket.

The pistons push back easily so I don't think my caliper is bad.

So now, this weekend 3 things have happened. I had my abs go off about 3 times at very low speed when my wheel is turned to the right. I've also had a decrease in brake effectiveness after some cornering on first brake application (it is fine the 2nd.) I do not, however, have any shuddering when driving straight and last I checked the wheel had no play in it. I've also been getting a squirrelly feeling on cornering sometimes.

So, I'm basically wondering if the hub is deflecting too much under corner force and pushing the piston back in too far which causes the reduction in brake force. Also, the deflection is causing the abs ring to be out of alignment which could set off the abs. The deflection could also explain the weird handling feeling and the worn ring on the disc.

Or, my slide pins are still sticking like hell and the THAT is causing the piston to be pushed back in because the caliper isn't floating free. The wierd cornering feeling I'm getting is just drag on the one wheel and the marks are from the pad dragging.

What do you guys think?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
either is possible. you might be able to feel play in a bad bearing with the car off the ground, but you also might not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jamal posted:

either is possible. you might be able to feel play in a bad bearing with the car off the ground, but you also might not.

Yeah, that's the thing that's bothering me.

Then again, one would think if the disc was making contact with the mounting bracket, the noise would be horrific.

I'm going to autozone tonight and get two new slide pins, dismantle the thing tonight, clean everything, make sure they are as free as can be, and see what happens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok, what are the chances that sticky slide pins would be able to provide enough deflection on the rotor to be able to scrape the caliper bracket?

I'm betting I already know the answer to this :(

Anyways, my caliper bracket shows clear signs that the disc face has rubbed on it at some point (both sides) so I'm betting that pretty much seals the deal for bad wheel bearing if there's enough deflection for the disc to make contact.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

or your caliper bracket is loose.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, here's hoping that putting everything back together now will make everything go away.

I wasn't able to get new pins/bushings/seals tonight, they were at a different autozone so they are gong to ship them to the one close to me and I'll pick them up tomorrow.

Everything seems quite a bit more free now so we'll see if the noises go away.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

What sort of deals are people seeing on new WRXs as base as you can get right now? Tossing around the idea of grabbing one here in the next month when I get a check for $5k from my last employer and have some funds to toy with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No dice. I put it back together and I'm still getting a scraping sound on a right hand turn and a sometimes light on on a left hand.

The real damning thing is if I do a hard slalom maneuver, my I have a TON more brake pedal travel than I would normally on the next brake application. As near as I can figure, the hub must be moving in and out under cornering load which causes the disc to come in contact with the caliper bracket. If I do an extreme left and right over and over, it must push the piston in some so the next time I apply the brakes I have to take up the extra distance the piston is pushed back.

I guess it's time to have it looked at.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's called knockback, which is pretty common with the 5x100 hubs. the group-n 4-pots are even available with springs in them to combat this.

sounds like your bearing is toast. hub, bearing, and seals is something like $200 in parts. I bet the dealership charges 2 hours, but with the service tool it takes less than one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The annoying thing is I already had it at the dealer once and basically told them I thought it was a wheel bearing. They just told me it was a warped disc and frozen slide pins. They wanted $140 to true the rotor on an on car lathe so I said I would take care if it myself since two front brembo blanks were only $120.

Here we are a month later, the problem has gotten a little worse, there may be more damage now, and I'm going to have to take time to take it in again.

I wonder if I can get them to cough up some cash since they gave me wrong diagnosis the last time. Yeah, I did have a warped rotor, but it wasn't the cause of the scraping.

Now that I've had the ABS go off a few times I'm worried that the sensor and or ring may be damaged which may have never happened if they fixed the root problem when I brought it in the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

jamal posted:

It's called knockback, which is pretty common with the 5x100 hubs. the group-n 4-pots are even available with springs in them to combat this.

sounds like your bearing is toast. hub, bearing, and seals is something like $200 in parts. I bet the dealership charges 2 hours, but with the service tool it takes less than one.

Why would you have to replace the hub if the bearing is bad?