Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

1karus posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember a thread here on ML praising the Behringer FCB1010 controller with the firmware chip upgrade as they way to go for a midi foot controller, but how hard is it to configure it with ableton?

Search around on the Ableton forums - I recall there being some pretty comprehensive threads about getting the FCB1010 set up with Live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
What's the preferred soundcard for gigging live? I assume the crap that comes out of the Macbook Pro headphone out isn't up to snuff for professional use.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

k0konutz posted:

What's the preferred soundcard for gigging live? I assume the crap that comes out of the Macbook Pro headphone out isn't up to snuff for professional use.

If you have the bucks and only need stereo in and out, the Apogee Duet is incredible.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

warwick5s posted:

If you have the bucks and only need stereo in and out, the Apogee Duet is incredible.

I have an mbox2 pro right now and it sounds fine, i don't know if i need its inputs for anything though (when performing), anybody have experience with the Mbox Micro?

k0konutz fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 21, 2009

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I'm actually curious about this too. I have an Edirol FA-6 at home, but it doesn't have dedicated headphone volume controls, which is a must. That mbox2 looks super sweet, but the price tag makes me cringe. Is there something I can get on the cheap with no extra inputs?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone used a Firebox? How is it with condensers and line in?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Cyne posted:

Search around on the Ableton forums - I recall there being some pretty comprehensive threads about getting the FCB1010 set up with Live.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=55557
http://bl0rg.net/~manuel/fcb1010-mappings/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yUKWpTQeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYTQwAOtSvw&feature=related

You should be straight

google fcb1010 ableton live youtube these are your first 4 results pretty much.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

No. 9 posted:

I have a firebox. I got it specifically to free up a usb port, but I have been more or less happy with everything else. The line ins are good, but my mic amps could be a lot stronger, I have to turn up the gain quite a bit to get a strong signal from a condenser (maybe I'm doing it wrong??). Other than that I'm happy with it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

No. 9 posted:

My Firebox literally exploded.

But before that it was great. :D

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A MIRACLE posted:

I have a firebox. I got it specifically to free up a usb port, but I have been more or less happy with everything else. The line ins are good, but my mic amps could be a lot stronger, I have to turn up the gain quite a bit to get a strong signal from a condenser (maybe I'm doing it wrong??). Other than that I'm happy with it.

drat, I'm trying to find the cheapest route that has decent signal strength. The Fast Track Pro is pretty bad.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

No. 9 posted:

drat, I'm trying to find the cheapest route that has decent signal strength. The Fast Track Pro is pretty bad.

I wound up sticking a mixer in front of the Firewire 410. I've still got a bunch of gain stage issues, but it doesn't sound too bad and the clipping isn't really an issue. I just wish I had a choice between quiet and REALLY loving LOUD.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
What are some cool things to do with dummy clips in a live setting, for breakdowns and build-ups and other neat effects? I'm building a DJ template for myself based on the APC40 and (thanks to the guy who recommended it in another thread) I set it up so that with the crossfader all the way to the left it's a dry signal but on the right it's a separate track with effects and dummy clips.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I've been enjoying the resample function of Live a lot lately:

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 21, 2009

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

How do you handle file organization of you're sampling a song? Do you make a copy of the original to keep in your session's folder? Does the converted song have to "link" to the original or can it standalone if you move/delete the original?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
if you just consolidate the original sample after importing it, it will automatically create a copy in the project>samples folder. Then you don't have to worry about the original file.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but here is a really succinct and amazingly informative tutorial on sidechain compression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQnOQWLURFU

I've had it explained to me 1000 times without success, but this video singlehandedly made it all click.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

Mandals posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but here is a really succinct and amazingly informative tutorial on sidechain compression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQnOQWLURFU

I've had it explained to me 1000 times without success, but this video singlehandedly made it all click.

He also has a kickass name.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

KaosPV posted:

Lately I've been downloading upright bass, flute and piano sample libraries... is Ableton Sampler nice to play them or do you feel any difference with Kontakt?

Which upright bass samples? That's a sound I've always wanted to play with

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

OK guys, largely on the strength of this thread (also: existence of LaunchPad and the Live M-Audio Edition license I already had), I bought Live 8 today. I'm excited as hell, I really think it's going to fit my workflow in a way that other tools have failed miserably to do. Woot!

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

sofullofhate posted:

OK guys, largely on the strength of this thread (also: existence of LaunchPad and the Live M-Audio Edition license I already had), I bought Live 8 today. I'm excited as hell, I really think it's going to fit my workflow in a way that other tools have failed miserably to do. Woot!

Make sure to check out the Youtube videos put out by Ableton. Goes over quite a few things and can get you started quickly. The lessons included are surprisingly helpful, too.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

You know what? loving tool is so well-thought-out that the learning curve has been practically nil. I used the built-in tutorial on recording clips &c to get that sorted, but after that just found things to be incredibly intuitive. Best thing ever: mapping any MIDI input from any device on any channel to any button, knob, control, etc. you please without requiring banging head on table or scripting. I'm totally in love.

Best music-related $300 I've ever spent. I think I may upgrade to Suite 8 after I buy a Launchpad, but I *really* want a Launchpad now. :)

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden
Anyone remember off the top of their head how to get a drum rack to work with a Trigger Finger (or a similar pad control) so that when you tap a pad, it plays the whole sample unless interrupted? I know how to do this with clips but not with a rack.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to get drum rack to automatically set the release of a sample to said sample's length? It's annoying to have to set it every time I drop a sample in there.

So is this not possible?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

prom candy posted:

So is this not possible?
I don't think so.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

prom candy posted:

So is this not possible?

you could create a preset with all the releases set to the max, I think?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

In a fit of gearlust, I ordered an APC40 to go with my fresh Live 8 today. I'm nuts, right? :)

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

New video from the Launchpad promo: single overhead shot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZs0dZtH6bY

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

k0konutz posted:

New video from the Launchpad promo: single overhead shot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZs0dZtH6bY

Am I crazy, or is his timing off a bit when he's tapping out beats? I'm pretty sure he lags a bit, but the quantization/snap-to-grid takes care of it for him. It's especially noticeable at 0:34 ish or thereabouts.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

k0konutz posted:

The beat repeat demo (one of the suggested videos) looks to make things super fun. This is going to be an easy 200 bucks to play with.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

I don't quite get what the bottom left corner button on the drum matrix is doing?

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Lewk posted:

I don't quite get what the bottom left corner button on the drum matrix is doing?

Is he selecting different drum loops he's recorded?

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

prom candy posted:

So is this not possible?

Set the release to 60sec, save as default preset.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

k0konutz posted:

Is he selecting different drum loops he's recorded?

I don't think so, because he seems to record them in. I don't know, maybe i'm going crazy :)

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Lewk posted:

I don't think so, because he seems to record them in. I don't know, maybe i'm going crazy :)

Yeah, he recorded them in a clip during his performance, and then launching them?

Lewk
May 22, 2001

k0konutz posted:

Yeah, he recorded them in a clip during his performance, and then launching them?

ah! yeah that would make sense i guess!

In other news, I have an APC40 to play with. I like it very much. It's kinda got some flaws (seems to map to effects racks well but not to single reverb units, for example) but i suspect bomes or whatever it's called is a good way to customise it. All in all, much fun.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

What's THE go-to tutorial vid for DJing in Ableton? I've been looking at what's on Youtube, but they're either all patronisingly simplistic (ten minute vids on how to insert EQ plugins and warp a track etc), or seem to completely overlook the areas of interest to me.

I really want something that explains workflow, for someone who has a bunch of tracks and wants to have a spontaneous mix (i.e. not a pre sequenced one I made in the arrangement window). I have my tracks all warped, but what's 'the right' way about going about performing a mix?

Currently, in the session view, I have some tracks on each of my two channels. I play the first one by pressing it's little play button thing, then press the play button next to one of the track in the other channel when it's time to mix in. This works fine, but it feels a bit stupid and fiddly having to faff about with the mouse. Can you assign key presses to trigger the next track from either channel rather than using the mouse? Is there any significance to how you position tracks in the session view?

I've used Cubase and Logic for 8 years, and have been mixing on decks and CDs for 10 years, so I'm totally familiar with mixing, signal routing, FX chains etc, but I'm struggling to get my head around the whole Ableton workflow.

What I've seen so far is great....I've had really good fun with it, and will happily drop cash on the Live 8 license and decent DJ controller if I can figure it all out. I think I just need to see a good tutorial video which is aimed at someone experienced in mixing, but new to Ableton.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Check this out, there's also a link to download the set:

http://www.vimeo.com/6993740

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i would warp and cut songs into about 4-5 sections then drag the whole bunch over to the ableton browser and it will save the cut up song. you can then search the browser as you DJ and drag the cut up songs over to the session view.

look around on the intertubes for "the phatcondutor" he has some smart poo poo to say about DJing and live.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

If there's any San Francisco Ableton Goons, there's a Masterclass on Nov. 22 covering a wide array of topics:

http://www.electroniccreatives.com/san-francisco/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

This is maybe a weird question, but where can I get some Ableton wallpapers? Flickr is devoid of them, as is Ableton, GIS, etc.