Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If a PO installs a catback exhaust (in this case, an Espelir GT500), do I have anything to worry about if I remove it and replace the standard part before running the car?

I was under the impression that removing the cats was the cause of boost creep/engine destruction, and so a length of pipe after the cat shouldn't cause wacky exhaust hijinx.

e: Also, a new mod to look out for: aftermarket sunroofs. One WRX PO actually paid someone to get up on top of her car and cut a hole in the roof and wedge in a sunroof. I don't think it'd damage structural rigidity that much, but the thought of the rust from potential water leaks made me turn it down.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm also wondering if it may be worth my while to get a new axle nut and re-torque the sucker.

At the very least I'm going to check it make sure it hasn't jump the strake or loosened up at all.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

ab0z posted:

Why would you have to replace the hub if the bearing is bad?

you might not have to, but if the hub has any wear or scoring on it, the new bearing will be toast very quickly.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

jamal posted:

you might not have to, but if the hub has any wear or scoring on it, the new bearing will be toast very quickly.

Isn't there a race on both sides of the actual bearings, that's removed and replaced when doing the bearings?

It looks like the bearings don't actually touch the hub. Am I reading this wrong?

edit:
(1) Baffle plate (SFJ)
(2) Spring pin
(3) Outer race (SFJ)
(4) Snap ring
(5) Trunnion
(6) Free ring
(7) Circlip
(8) Boot band
(9) Boot (SFJ)
(10) Boot (EBJ)
(11) EBJASSY
(12) Tone wheel (With ABS)
(13) Baffle plate
(14) Oil seal (IN)
(15) Snap ring
(16) Bearing
(17) Housing
(18) Oil seal (OUT)
(19) Hub bolt
(20) Hub
(21) Axle nut

ab0z fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 28, 2009

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.
Was looking for a Subaru for some fun weekend driving, Autocross and mountain trips; the 2 wheel drive S-10 just won't cut it for snowboard season. Came across this gem relatively close to me.

I really like the coupe body style but don't exactly trust a swap like this. Should I steer clear or investigate.

If so what questions should I ask and do I only trust it if a shop has done the work? How does the swap then affect the pricing? Any particular things I should look for?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ab0z posted:

It looks like the bearings don't actually touch the hub. Am I reading this wrong?

Well, the theory is that the inner race that is pressed onto the hub seizes partially and starts galling the surface of the hub itself. The axle fits into the inner splines of the hub, and the bearings resides on the oustide of the splined shaft on it, with a small gap in order to torque up the bearings so it won't fall apart the moment it gets some lateral force.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

sl0hburn posted:

Was looking for a Subaru for some fun weekend driving, Autocross and mountain trips; the 2 wheel drive S-10 just won't cut it for snowboard season. Came across this gem relatively close to me.

I really like the coupe body style but don't exactly trust a swap like this. Should I steer clear or investigate.

If so what questions should I ask and do I only trust it if a shop has done the work? How does the swap then affect the pricing? Any particular things I should look for?

No way would I want to have anything to do with that.

looking for a swapped car, here are some things to check:

-done in a carb-legal way (in CA)
-all the instruments work. it's pretty common for things like the coolant temp and the idiot lights, cel, etc, to not work
-common for windows and hvac stuff not to work

anyway, to do it right, you basically take the ecu, and the harness from the ecu, and splice it into everywhere it supposed to go on the rs. on top of that, there's stuff that is different or you have to add, like a fuel pump controller.

When I think of more stuff about swaps I'll add it. I've always wanted to do one.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Baby Hitler posted:

Well, the theory is that the inner race that is pressed onto the hub seizes partially and starts galling the surface of the hub itself. The axle fits into the inner splines of the hub, and the bearings resides on the oustide of the splined shaft on it, with a small gap in order to torque up the bearings so it won't fall apart the moment it gets some lateral force.

Ok I get what you're saying. sorry, I had a long day yesterday.

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.

jamal posted:

Swapped RS

I asked a few questions of the seller and this is what he responded with. I did not edit this in the slightest:

Seller posted:

all the gauges work, the swap was done by my friends its called jdm garage. and the only thing with it was it needs to be tuned. everything is perfect after the swap i parked it because i basically blew all my money... the chassis has 190k and the motor swap has 60k

The car is posted in Oxnard, Ca so if any SoCal goons know JDM Garage let me know. I am new to the area.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is a retarded number of miles for an STI-swapped 2.5RS - there are quite a few Canadian examples going for less than that because of our surplus of imported motors that were formerly inside Japanese market STIs.

I've posted a bunch in here about swaps because I kind of wanted to do my own Gravel Express in my backyard, but there's so many places it can go wrong if it's not done professionally in a shop with competent people. Here is some guy's record of doing his own 2.5RS swap.

Google isn't turning anything up for JDM Garage that I can see. It probably couldn't hurt to go take a look at the car. Ask him what he thinks needs to be tuned - if he used the stock STI ECU with stock parts, there probably isn't a lot of stuff to worry about. It looks like he set up a standalone ECU and then went nuts with bolt-ons - there could be some serious mechanical concerns to go with the age of the car.

There's also a lot of pretty ricey mods on that thing: blow-off valves always seem to flip my bozo bit on Subaru builds. Where did that STI motor come from? Was it a crate engine, or was it a halfcut from a rollover? Was it inspected properly before they jammed it into the chassis?

That chassis has some remarkably high miles, even if the engine is solid. If it helps, the naturally aspirated 2.5RSes generally do better in rallycross here than turbocharged cars. I would look at buying one of those, or live with four doors and get a (slightly) unmolested bugeye WRX.

I'd say test-drive it, but definitely go in with a suspicious attitude.

e: On top of that, like jamal mentioned, you live in CA and have to pass a smog inspection. With a stock STI motor and friends you might pass as an STI, but that assumes all the emissions stuff was swapped over properly. Not sure what the specific requirements of CARB are, so maybe you could define it as an engine-swap legally somehow and just have to swap out the CARB-illegal parts.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 28, 2009

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it helps, the naturally aspirated 2.5RSes generally do better in rallycross here than turbocharged cars.

I'm sure that's to do with better drivers than car capability.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
Well I broke my clutch fork pivot shaft hole....Some days I hate knowing about cars because it means if I send it to a shop I'm just being lazy.

Here's the area where it broke:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure that's to do with better drivers than car capability.
A regular 2.0 turbo is a bit of a pain in the rear end in a rallycross. It's difficult to keep the car in boost. Between that and the fact that the 2.5 weighs around 300 pounds less and is slightly smaller.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have a 05 9-2x and I really need some new tires. At some point last year there was a consensus tire I feel like but I can't remember what it was. I have the alloy wheels, I drive 2 downtown city miles to work everyday and a lot of highway miles but I don't do racing, autocross, or anything. I do ball out on gravel and mountain trails sometimes.

What tires should I be looking at?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960as should be perfect.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wrar posted:

A regular 2.0 turbo is a bit of a pain in the rear end in a rallycross. It's difficult to keep the car in boost. Between that and the fact that the 2.5 weighs around 300 pounds less and is slightly smaller.

I can't imagine the 300lbs makes up for the power difference. Maybe it is nimbler. But yeah with some judicious shifting into tighter corners you should be able to keep revs into the 4000s. Not that I can talk; I stalled 3 times on my first runs out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

bull3964 posted:

I just got these for my WRX last month, based on them being the overwhelming consensus here and elsewhere, and they're outstanding.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Update on oil leak: The dealer guys at Carriage Subaru in Temecula, California are a bunch of idiot fucks. They didn't see the original factory crush washer, and just put another washer on top of it and said voilá, complete. Oil change!

Also I don't trust anybody named 'Big _____' anymore, at all.

On a side note, does anybody know how common failures of the WRX viscous coupling occur? I was in there for an hour, and a 50 year old dude with an 08 WRX had some serious problems – 1 wheel wasn't getting power in his AWD system, and his transmission apparently had poo poo itself in 3rd gear – and all this at 25k miles.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

Just Another XY posted:

Update on oil leak: The dealer guys at Carriage Subaru in Temecula, California are a bunch of idiot fucks. They didn't see the original factory crush washer, and just put another washer on top of it and said voilá, complete. Oil change!

To be completely fair to the techs, Subaru paints the drat crush washer with the bolt and torques it to an ungodly amount of torque from the factory. What results is a pancake thin crush washer that is the same color as the bolt, making it nearly invisible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

I can't imagine the 300lbs makes up for the power difference. Maybe it is nimbler. But yeah with some judicious shifting into tighter corners you should be able to keep revs into the 4000s. Not that I can talk; I stalled 3 times on my first runs out.

The ONLY Subaru to ever beat me on dirt is an RS 2.5 (and I have never beaten it, despite my best efforts). The throttle response and lack of weight really do make a huge difference - they are very nimble, the 2.5 gives you a handy amount of power, the AWD is 50:50 - which is actually better than the 35:65 or 41:59 of the STI on dirt. And better weight balance, the 20+ kgs less over the nose does make a difference.

An RS 2.5 really is a drat good thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

An RS 2.5 really is a drat good thing.

:( I want one so bad. The closest one is that $5000 I posted ealier.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

bull3964 posted:

Thanks, I actually think these are the tires I was thinking of

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

At the behest of my brother, I took my WRX out on some dirt roads today. I suggest anybody who hasn't done so do so immediately. I giggled like a little schoolgirl as my car fishtailed wildly and then took a corner at speed.

I felt like Colin McRae's long lost brother.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BannedForLulz posted:

To be completely fair to the techs, Subaru paints the drat crush washer with the bolt and torques it to an ungodly amount of torque from the factory. What results is a pancake thin crush washer that is the same color as the bolt, making it nearly invisible.

That would be fair to someone not familiar with Subarus, but he took it to a dealer for christs sakes. It's not like they've never done them before.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Just Another XY posted:

At the behest of my brother, I took my WRX out on some dirt roads today. I suggest anybody who hasn't done so do so immediately. I giggled like a little schoolgirl as my car fishtailed wildly and then took a corner at speed.

I felt like Colin McRae's long lost brother.

Yesterday I went out with a friend in his RS with gravels, agx's, big rear sway, and skids all around. We drove over 220+ miles of all dirt and saw all sorts of cool forest nature poo poo. These cars are built for it. At one point we met up with a friend who was in a civic with street tires, my friend ended up gettin in his car to show him some techniques so I got to follow them in the RS. I was smiling from ear to ear after driving that thing.

I'll be ordering a skid plate for my car this week.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy flannel shirts from? We just got a 2010 outback.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Don Lapre posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy flannel shirts from? We just got a 2010 outback.

Oh man, they didn't tell you? There is a free flannel and golden retriever puppy under the hatch mat by the spare tire.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

8ender posted:

Oh man, they didn't tell you? There is a free flannel and golden retriever puppy under the hatch mat by the spare tire.

we've had the car a couple of weeks now, i hope hes ok

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

Yesterday I went out with a friend in his RS with gravels, agx's, big rear sway, and skids all around. We drove over 220+ miles of all dirt and saw all sorts of cool forest nature poo poo. These cars are built for it. At one point we met up with a friend who was in a civic with street tires, my friend ended up gettin in his car to show him some techniques so I got to follow them in the RS. I was smiling from ear to ear after driving that thing.

I'll be ordering a skid plate for my car this week.

Out of curiosity, the off-road bug definitely hit me, and I was wondering if people had advice for equipping my wrx for weekend fun use. No rallycross, just running around a bit on roads less-paved.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Just Another XY posted:

Out of curiosity, the off-road bug definitely hit me, and I was wondering if people had advice for equipping my wrx for weekend fun use. No rallycross, just running around a bit on roads less-paved.

Skid plate to protect your go fast motor stuff. Mud flaps to keep some paint on the side of your car. For tires, I'm going to be using my snows because it's getting to cold so not worth gravels. I'll be picking up a used set of gravels in the spring probably.

Poke around on the dirty impreza forums, the rallycross prep threads have info on skids and mudflaps.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Make sure your spare is in good shape, bring a 1 foot square plywood board to stabilize your emergency jack, should you need to use it. Maybe buy a tow strap.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe buy a tow strap.
Remember the tow strap you want is just loops. No metal on it, unless you already lost your legs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are there any serious differences between the Saab 9-2X Aero and the WRX wagon? As far as I can tell, only the front clip is different - but do those differences impede into the engine bay and prevent certain modifications, or is it just different sheet metal?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are there any serious differences between the Saab 9-2X Aero and the WRX wagon? As far as I can tell, only the front clip is different - but do those differences impede into the engine bay and prevent certain modifications, or is it just different sheet metal?

Just sheet metal. 9-2x iirc has HIDs, and the STi steering rack. I think everything else is WRX.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
My new $650 daily driver,

For some reason* it's not running right. It needs a lot of little things before it's drivable. Most of the rubber bits are dry-rotted, dash lights don't work, blower motor barely works, and it leaks oil. The plan is to build up an ea81 and swap that plus a dual range gearbox next spring/summer. I might do a thread at that time.

I need to get rid of the camo ASAP. Suggest a color, original was silver/gray.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

oxbrain posted:

My new $650 daily driver,

For some reason* it's not running right. It needs a lot of little things before it's drivable. Most of the rubber bits are dry-rotted, dash lights don't work, blower motor barely works, and it leaks oil. The plan is to build up an ea81 and swap that plus a dual range gearbox next spring/summer. I might do a thread at that time.

I need to get rid of the camo ASAP. Suggest a color, original was silver/gray.

Wow, I can't imagine finding anything so awesome for $650.

Good luck with the rubber bits though, they're whats keeping me from getting anywhere on my First Project Ever.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It's camo, was on the wrong side of the state, and had a very minimal listing. I was expecting it to be all beat up and barely running. Instead it's cleanish, low mileage, and has the weber 32/36 swap already done. :monocle:

I'm already running into parts problems. 3 day wait for the CV boots, 4 day wait for a chiltons manual, 2 day wait for a lower horsecock, 3 day wait for wheel studs for a 6-lug conversion, it goes on and on. A lot of bushings just can't be found, like the mustache bar bushings. I might wind up casting my own poly bushings for those.

Oh, and nobody makes struts/shocks for it? :wtc:

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Tremblay posted:

Just sheet metal. 9-2x iirc has HIDs, and the STi steering rack. I think everything else is WRX.

The 9-2x also has different suspension tuning (softer springs and stiffer dampers I think), different seats (in the front at least), and different wheels. For a list of all of the differences check out this thread http://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=406 .

Mechanically it's all WRX and WRX mods will work. I had a gutted uppipe, downpipe, and accessport stage 2 loaded on mine before I sold it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

loving gently caress I think I destroyed a wheel bearing last night, and I have until tomorrow to fix it. I hope that outback is still at the junkyard so I can pull the upright.

That'll learn me to jump my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

loving gently caress I think I destroyed a wheel bearing last night, and I have until tomorrow to fix it. I hope that outback is still at the junkyard so I can pull the upright.

That'll learn me to jump my car.
You did this without pictures?