Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande
hosed the paint job up, big time. It looks ok, but doesn't fit with Hellboy's paint job style AT ALL.

I think I'll scrub it all off and start over, but I need some tips on achievening the look that his has. It looks like I could maybe build it up slowly with really light washes, and slightly darken things appropriately around bulges to make it more geometric?

Or should I use a dry brush technique rather than mixing up a light watery coat and doing washes with that? No loving idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
My stupid walmart is never going to get DCU wave 13 because we still have almost six full boxes of cyborgs and killer moths to sell though first.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm still sad we didn't get Final Crisis Mary as the varient. I would have bought that. As it is, there isn't a single wave 12 figure I'll get. And since Superboy is the lame 90's version, Negative man is probably the only wave 13 I'll get. Maybe classic Cheetah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm all over that Blue Devil.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Every where in my town is still covered in fuckin Cyborg salad shooter mode and Captain Cold's. I'd love to see anything past those.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm still sad we didn't get Final Crisis Mary as the varient. I would have bought that. As it is, there isn't a single wave 12 figure I'll get. And since Superboy is the lame 90's version, Negative man is probably the only wave 13 I'll get. Maybe classic Cheetah.

I'm all about Blue Beetle but I wish it was current Conner Superboy

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

LtCrowley posted:

hosed the paint job up, big time. It looks ok, but doesn't fit with Hellboy's paint job style AT ALL.

I think I'll scrub it all off and start over, but I need some tips on achievening the look that his has. It looks like I could maybe build it up slowly with really light washes, and slightly darken things appropriately around bulges to make it more geometric?

Or should I use a dry brush technique rather than mixing up a light watery coat and doing washes with that? No loving idea.

The sculpt on Hellboy is solid geometric cuts, going along with the blocky Mignola style. Looks like the paint job on him is darker tones on the crevices of the sculpt washed/rubbed off. I think your corpse figure is looking great, just needs more of that rough blocky edge, don't paint the profile shadows on let the sculpt do that on its own. I hope this helps.

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...
Some good news. On Matty's Facebook page, "he" posted this: 'Mattycollector.com For those DCU fans looking for Wave 9 and 10, they are STILL shipping. Wave 10 has barely shipped. Tons more are on the way throughout the holiday season!'

Hope this means I will be able to find them at retail, or at least someone will that will post them on SA!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Mapocho posted:

The sculpt on Hellboy is solid geometric cuts, going along with the blocky Mignola style. Looks like the paint job on him is darker tones on the crevices of the sculpt washed/rubbed off. I think your corpse figure is looking great, just needs more of that rough blocky edge, don't paint the profile shadows on let the sculpt do that on its own. I hope this helps.

This is true - you might want to do some minor resculpting to add more angular shapes / texture - but I'm also gonna repeat my earlier advice: Don't ever try to take shortcuts when it comes to the paint job. Paint in very thin layers. Let it dry in between. You could try dry-brushing, then using a wash, then dry-brushing again. Experiment, and don't rush yourself.

If you want to copy Mignola's heavy ink style, which is incredibly hard to do in 3D (I like to think I'm a good sculptor, but those Mezco figures floored me), you need to be really careful in both the sculpting and the painting, and you might need to lay in some shadows manually, with a fine brush.

It is hard to give technical advice about paint not sticking to the figure if you don't go into some detail about the materials and techniques you're using. Do be sure the surface you're painting is clean and dry, and use good paint. Citadel is usually good for a matte finish, but it might need thinning down.

There will be some trial and error, but don't lose hope. It's an ambitious project and you're doing good work.

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande

LtCrowley posted:

Seems I mis-lead you - I was referring to this post from the previous page, and attached the Hellboy image again so that people could see the paint finish I was going for.

Regardless, I've started working on some of the stuff you guys recommended and I think it's looking better so far.
I'll post pics when I'm done painting it but if the sculpt job's time span is anything to go off that won't be for a couple of months at least.

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Anyone found any DCUC Wave 10 figures yet?!

Colorado is coming up dry so far!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Just a Bat laptop Batman who promptly broke

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Ogmios posted:

NO! I keep on hoping!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ogmios posted:

nothing but Capt. Colds around here.

I cracked under the pressure and bought a Joker off eBay :( I might regret it but this is the only figure in the wave I dont want to take a chance on missing.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I got a Robotman and Powergirl while in Albuquerque the other day, they were the only ones left. Nothing yet in my city, just empty pegs. Not even Captain Colds or Salad Shooter Cyborgs.

It's frustrating, especially since Wave 11 is supposed to come out by the end of the November.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
I got a set for my friend and myself, though I am thinking of ebaying the CnC cause I really don't give 2 shits about Imperiex and his sale could pay for most, if not all of the cost of the figures. On a side note, Harley is happy to be back with her pudd.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

mods rename me posted:

Just a Bat laptop Batman who promptly broke

How/what broke on it?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Leg broke I guess. In the interest of disclosure, a friend found it not me.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

mods rename me posted:

Leg broke I guess. In the interest of disclosure, a friend found it not me.

Ah, I would call up Mattel and tell them it broke out of package/shortly after barely posing it. As long as he wasn't throwing it against the wall, they'll usually send you a rebate. It helps to have the package/insert too.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Donde Esta posted:

Ah, I would call up Mattel and tell them it broke out of package/shortly after barely posing it. As long as he wasn't throwing it against the wall, they'll usually send you a rebate. It helps to have the package/insert too.

I don't know about mattel, but Hasbro can be hit or miss. They are good about sending you a mailing label for you to send stuff back to them, but sometimes they send "what is available" and not the same thing you have.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Bushifox posted:

I don't know about mattel, but Hasbro can be hit or miss. They are good about sending you a mailing label for you to send stuff back to them, but sometimes they send "what is available" and not the same thing you have.

I've had a messed up Hasbro 2-pack, and two messed up DCUC figures. One time I didn't even have a product code # for a DCUC figure and I still recieved a rebate (not an exact figure, but still better than a broken one). In all three cases, I was never asked to return the defective stuff,and Hasbro just sent an entire new 2-pack, but yeah, they said it would be on a "what is availible" basis; I did recive the right one.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

doublepost

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Does anyone know how to get cigarette odor out of a figure? I've bought a Neca 18 inch Jason Voorhees for what I thought was an okay price. But it stinks! I've given it a wash down with water so far, but I was wondering what I can use to get rid of the smell. Do anyone of these odor neutralising sprays actually work? I've done a google and had various suggestions including white vinegar, washing up liquid, etc.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Darth Ronson posted:

Does anyone know how to get cigarette odor out of a figure? I've bought a Neca 18 inch Jason Voorhees for what I thought was an okay price. But it stinks! I've given it a wash down with water so far, but I was wondering what I can use to get rid of the smell. Do anyone of these odor neutralising sprays actually work? I've done a google and had various suggestions including white vinegar, washing up liquid, etc.

I've read something about putting the figure in an airtight bag (usually a Ziploc-type bag, but you'd need a gigantic one) with an apple wedge, and the apple absorbs the smoke odor.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Just a heads up, my local Wal-Mart dropped their GI Joe ROC figures down to $5, so i'm sure it must be a nationwide thing. I picked up The Doctor (white labcoat), City Strike Snake Eyes, and a shitload of Elite Vipers. I wonder if their doing this to clear the pegs for the Pursuit of Cobra figures.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Same here. I picked up the Doctor and a Crimson Viper. I didn't see the movie and no nothing about GI joe other than the basic Americans+ninjas vs. Cobra, but these are pretty cool figures and have tons of accessories. I wish Marvel Universe were $5.

Edit: I also made a custom Conker figure these last week.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 5, 2009

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

Same here. I picked up the Doctor and a Crimson Viper. I didn't see the movie and no nothing about GI joe other than the basic Americans+ninjas vs. Cobra, but these are pretty cool figures and have tons of accessories. I wish Marvel Universe were $5.

Edit: I also made a custom Conker figure these last week.

Heh, that's pretty cool.

Yeah though, for 5 bucks I can get a GI Joe guy with a pistol, rifle, melee weapon and some kind of big honkin' gun, PLUS a stand, and for 8 bucks I can get a Spider-Man with.... 2 inches of plastic webbing.

Seriously, aside from being a badass figure, the Snake Eyes I got is packed with accessories. And the Doctor's multiple levels of removeable gear, plus all of the cool techno-gadgets he comes with really make these figures worth the money.

I used to be really big into Star Wars and never collected GI Joe, but I think within the last year I've bought maybe about 10 SW guys (Mostly EU stuff) and I've probably have gotten around 40 to 50 GI Joe figures this year, the sculpting and accessories really sold me on these guys. If they keep this $5 price point I'm gonna keep on getting them at this rate too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hey anybody like the Superman/Batman public enemies figures? I picked up Supes, Bats, and Silver Banshee a little while back. I love the animated-style heads on them, Batman especially. It looks like a fusion of TAS and Year One's artwork. I put a nice cloth cape on him and he's now my Batman of choice.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I've only bought Batman, but I actually really like him as he reminds me of the 90's animated Batman, especially the head. Since most of my Batman figures were bought it or repainted to have costumes similar to the animated show, it's nice to have a broad shouldered Batman with a big square jaw. I might try and redo the chest logo to have the yellow border and give him blue highlights on the black to make a perfect animated figure.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am waiting for the Wave 2 Batman to come out so I can make my perfect custom Batman, in Blue and Grey like God himself intended.

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

I'm waiting for Metallic Superman from Wave 2. But I really like the Batman from Public Enemies.

Any pics of the custom cloth cape?

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

Someone over at HissTank.com got his hands on the mail-away Cobra Commander that's coming out next year and he looks awesome. I'm pretty positive the mask sculpt on this one is the same one that will be available on the POC Jungle CC as well. Here's the link to the pics:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-news-rumors/59329-hand-mail-away-cobra-commander-hand-pics.html

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

For those who care, toyrocket.com is having a sale where everything in stock on the entire site is at least 50% off. I picked up a few things like some DCUC pegwarmers I don't want to pay full price for.

Bandit64
Oct 22, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Fish Of Doom posted:

For those who care, toyrocket.com is having a sale where everything in stock on the entire site is at least 50% off. I picked up a few things like some DCUC pegwarmers I don't want to pay full price for.

A word of warning, they were experiencing bankruptcy issues a few months back and stiffed some customers, so make sure to order via credit card so you can charge it back if necessary. That's what I did!

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
The walmarts here actually stocked up with wave 10 of the classics. After only finding Forager, Robotman and Power Girl at one I went over to the walmart by my work and found the entire wave and picked up a couple Jokers and a Batman.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Action Serious posted:

The walmarts here actually stocked up with wave 10 of the classics. After only finding Forager, Robotman and Power Girl at one I went over to the walmart by my work and found the entire wave and picked up a couple Jokers and a Batman.
Where are you located? Like, east coast, west coast, etc?

Maybe my Wal-Marts will get some of them soon. :(

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

I found Joker, Powergirl and Batman at a Colorado Wal-mart!

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
Got my Ashley Wood WWRP Brambles. Opened Medic ... definitely looking forward to my Dirty Deeds Berties.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Where are you located? Like, east coast, west coast, etc?

Maybe my Wal-Marts will get some of them soon. :(

I'm in southeast Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ogmios posted:

I found Joker, Powergirl and Batman at a Colorado Wal-mart!

Action Serious posted:

I'm in southeast Michigan.

Checked my local Wal-Mart in Phoenix, AZ last night and they had jack poo poo! :negative: