Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

He explained that, though.

Simply lie, spread-eagled by the side of the road with your eyes closed, and some guy will stop and help you. :banjo:

That's what I'm counting on ;)

EDIT: Also, in both the last 2 links they had bags/panniers on the sides of the bike which makes it MUCH easier to lift. One even says:

quote:

I found it very difficult to pick up an F-650 that did not have bags on it. But I did. The R bikes give you an added lift because of the jugs sticking out. Having bags on also gives an added lift.

My work bike is stupidly easy to lift because it has panniers and crash bars. It's never lying all the way over and I've only had trouble lifting it up once when a pannier fell off and the drat thing was lodged in a garden bed (I'm a postie). It's only 120kg or so too, around half the weight of the VFR and it's all lower down.

I honestly don't think I'd have much trouble lifting a bike that had bags on, regardless of how heavy it was.

And I'll conceed that it probably is possible for a girl to lift a heavy arse bike from lying right on it's side. But it's loving hard and I think I'd do more damage to the bike than it's worth in the attempt. Far better to find some dashing young man to help me.

huplescat fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Note: You may want to consider your location before you google for "Skirt lift BMW". :sigh:
that's cause her name is Skert. i've seen her at BMW rallies. she uses that technique to lift road kings and poo poo. she's like 5'4".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

that's cause her name is Skert. i've seen her at BMW rallies. she uses that technique to lift road kings and poo poo. she's like 5'4".

Yeah I remembered that after the first google search. Little too late. :xd:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

She probably weight trains between rallies. Technique helps, but you still need strength. I'm 5'5", 130lbs and I can lift my 650. Unless you always ride with other people or in cities, you should really be able to lift your bike. You don't want to pull over on a secluded highway to take a picture, have a gust push your bike of the stand and get stranded. Hit the gym or get something lighter.

I have to lift it like this though. The video way just doesn't work with how tall/skinny/heavy my bike is and how small I am. :shrug:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Went epxloring today, shouldn't have gotten my boots wet, it was only 45 degrees for a high.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Jesus Christ that looks slippery.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
inspired by nero's stator thread, i thought i'd try to rewire the armature on my R90/6. luckily the stator is ok.

yeah that's bad.

wire's off! about 600 turns. gotta find some new wire now. lots.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
So hey, I have a new bike. 2008 Honda CB600F Hornet, 3333km on the clock (2071 miles) and mint condition. It has triple the power of my previous bike, and gets mighty exciting past 6000rpm. I'm also delighted that it has a fuel gauge and clock on the dash. I guess I'm easily impressed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

Smirk posted:

I'm also delighted that it has a fuel gauge and clock on the dash. I guess I'm easily impressed.

No, they're very awesome. Or maybe I'm just easily impressed too :)

EDIT: nice bike too

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
Very jealous Smirk, can't wait to see it in person soon.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Me on my new Ninja.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

DiZ posted:

Very jealous Smirk, can't wait to see it in person soon.

+1

I am the new owner of Smirk's old bike. I guess I could post a pic of it here, if he hasn't already done so earlier in the thread. :P

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

What the gently caress is this +1 thing people keep using?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Doctor Zero posted:

They do it a lot on ADVrider

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Smirk posted:

So hey, I have a new bike. 2008 Honda CB600F Hornet, 3333km on the clock (2071 miles) and mint condition. It has triple the power of my previous bike, and gets mighty exciting past 6000rpm. I'm also delighted that it has a fuel gauge and clock on the dash. I guess I'm easily impressed.

Is this sold in the US?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smirk posted:

That's a great looking bike.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh, it's just intended to mean "me too". Same as if I'd just quoted DiZ's post I guess.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ari.gato posted:

Is this sold in the US?

No :( Gorgeous bike though.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Cabledude posted:

Me on my new Ninja.

Which ninja is that?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Looks like the new Ninja 250R

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

It's a 2009 Ninja 250R. It's getting it's first oil change tomorrow :3:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I just bought a house and my father just bought a brand new motorcycle.
As a housewarming gift he gave me his old bike a 73 CB750

First thing to change is to get rid of that little windscreen and to fix the broken triple clamp he noticed after taking it for one last ride.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smirk posted:

This is what the Gladius would look like if Suzuki had competent designers.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

This is what the Gladius would look like if Suzuki had competent designers.

really? You don't like this?

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
about creating my robot whores, tia Science
:roboluv:
My new-to-me 2005 Suzuki V Strom DL650. Found the bike on the ADVrider forums last week, flew up to Oakland 2 days later with 4 grand in my pocket to meet a total stranger in Pittsburg, CA for the transaction and then rode the bitch back to Orange County the same day. I'm a crazy rear end in a top hat. This is the 4th bike I've owned in a year and I've only been riding for a year. I'm pretty much addicted to these machines!

Bike had 20k on the odo and came with the bags, tankbag, a spare knobby, and brand new tires. Needs some work though. The front and rear brakes squeal like a stuck pig even though the seller said the brakes were "brand new" :rolleyes: so I'm probably going to need new pads and maybe rotors. Hopefully don't have to rebuild the pistons because I have no idea how difficult/easy that is. Also the clutch cable needs adjusting cause the bike creeps forward when sitting in first gear even though I have the lever pulled to the handgrip. Other than that, sweet ride!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

FrothyDawg posted:

The front and rear brakes squeal like a stuck pig even though the seller said the brakes were "brand new" :rolleyes: so I'm probably going to need new pads and maybe rotors. Hopefully don't have to rebuild the pistons because I have no idea how difficult/easy that is.

Could be that he just didn't apply any anti-squeal grease to the backs of the pads. Cross your fingers.

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set

Doctor Zero posted:

Could be that he just didn't apply any anti-squeal grease to the backs of the pads. Cross your fingers.

Good to know. How would I verify this? Take the things apart and close-up visual inspection?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My brakes squeal from sitting outside unless I clean the rotor every week or two.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

FrothyDawg posted:

Good to know. How would I verify this? Take the things apart and close-up visual inspection?

Yeah. You'll need to do it anyway to see what's up and if you don't see any grease on the back of the pads, slap some on there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FrothyDawg posted:

My new-to-me 2005 Suzuki V Strom DL650. Found the bike on the ADVrider forums last week, flew up to Oakland 2 days later with 4 grand in my pocket to meet a total stranger in Pittsburg, CA for the transaction and then rode the bitch back to Orange County the same day. I'm a crazy rear end in a top hat. This is the 4th bike I've owned in a year and I've only been riding for a year. I'm pretty much addicted to these machines!

Bike had 20k on the odo and came with the bags, tankbag, a spare knobby, and brand new tires. Needs some work though. The front and rear brakes squeal like a stuck pig even though the seller said the brakes were "brand new" :rolleyes: so I'm probably going to need new pads and maybe rotors. Hopefully don't have to rebuild the pistons because I have no idea how difficult/easy that is. Also the clutch cable needs adjusting cause the bike creeps forward when sitting in first gear even though I have the lever pulled to the handgrip. Other than that, sweet ride!

drat dude, not screwing around with the ADV bikes. What happened with the GS?

I bet that the pads are just squealing, easy enough to fix. Bring it up here and I'll show you how to take care of it :)

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You do?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I had a shiteating grin a mile wide driving this thing around for a little bit today. Nobody knew what the gently caress.

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set

Z3n posted:

drat dude, not screwing around with the ADV bikes. What happened with the GS?

I bet that the pads are just squealing, easy enough to fix. Bring it up here and I'll show you how to take care of it :)

Yeah I'm hooked! I still have the GS. I wanted a second bike so I wouldn't put so much wear on the GS...that's the excuse I used to justify the purchase anyway, heh.

That sounds like a plan, dude! Let me know when you're available. I'm off Wed-Sat so I've got lots of down time every week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I think it's horrible. Removing the side covers helps a bit, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cabledude posted:

Me on my new Ninja.

Dude. What's it like being Spider-man?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FrothyDawg posted:

Yeah I'm hooked! I still have the GS. I wanted a second bike so I wouldn't put so much wear on the GS...that's the excuse I used to justify the purchase anyway, heh.

That sounds like a plan, dude! Let me know when you're available. I'm off Wed-Sat so I've got lots of down time every week.

Nice. I'm moving this weekend to a place a few blocks off of where we met downtown, with a 2 car garage. If you wanted to come up next thursday or something, you're more than welcome, or the week after. You know how to get in touch with me :)

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It looks like a giant insect. Do not like.

dietcokefiend posted:

I had a shiteating grin a mile wide driving this thing around for a little bit today. Nobody knew what the gently caress.

That is extremely awesome :D Did you make the rack for it? It looks a bit like a modified roof rack or something?

EDIT: I wonder if my pushy would fit on the gear sack rack....

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

A buddy of mine just bought one in black, and I must say that:

1. In person, I find them to be quite attractive in black
2. I think suzuki chose the wrong colour scheme for their marketing collateral

Also they're a really nice bike to ride - smooth, comfortable, sure footed - a great learner's bike. Although that's probably not unexpected since it's more or less the SV.

The white and blue is absolutely awful, though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

huplescat posted:

It looks like a giant insect. Do not like.

Looking like an insect is not a bad thing.

Click here for the full 640x486 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Dude. What's it like being Spider-man?

It's all fun and games until you web yourself :(