Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone going to check out The Stepfather.

That comes out next weekend, right? I actually think the trailer is really pretty good until the silly stinger after the title is revealed. I'll catch it I figure, but my expectations aren't particularly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

That comes out next weekend, right? I actually think the trailer is really pretty good until the silly stinger after the title is revealed. I'll catch it I figure, but my expectations aren't particularly high.

I think it looks kinda crappy, but I hope it does well enough that we can get a reissue of the original, which is fantastic.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I think it looks kinda crappy, but I hope it does well enough that we can get a reissue of the original, which is fantastic.
You mean this?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone going to check out The Stepfather. Personally I have no interest.

Having only recently watched and enjoyed the original I'm certain I will avoid the remake like the plague. Have you seen the sequel to the original, Stepfather 2?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Just saw Halloween 2. Pretty bad. The entire movie is just dull. The opening 15 minutes are probably the best in the movie and the closes Zombies comes to creating suspence.

I liked some ideas the movie had like following around the survivors of the first movie and showing how they live.
Everytime Michaels mom and young Michael and the horse turned up, the movie went into shitsville real fast. Totally pointless. Laurie now has new friends but we aren't going to find anything out about them before they are axed.
Everything leads to a totally awful and anti climatic final.
I hope this is the final Halloween movie Zombie does.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I just read the buzz saw sequence from The Stepfather trailer is not in the movie. Talk about cutting out the only interesting looking part in the trailer :-(

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I've been thinking about checking out Prom Night for laughs, but I think it's kind of worthless to watch if it's not the unrated version. Does anyone know if the version on Netflix Watch is PG13 or Unrated? Or if there really isn't anything better in the Unrated version?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Pet Rock Band posted:

I've been thinking about checking out Prom Night for laughs, but I think it's kind of worthless to watch if it's not the unrated version. Does anyone know if the version on Netflix Watch is PG13 or Unrated? Or if there really isn't anything better in the Unrated version?

The differences are minor enough that you won't be missing anything. Even the Unrated is largely bloodless and almost entirely goreless.
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=358162

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Slasherfan posted:

I hope this is the final Halloween movie Zombie does.

It was. the guy who did My Bloody Valentine 3D is signed to do Halloween 3(D)

Zombie is moving on to a remake of The Blob, and his own pet project Tyrannosaurus Rex

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Ape Agitator posted:

The differences are minor enough that you won't be missing anything. Even the Unrated is largely bloodless and almost entirely goreless.
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=358162

Ugh. That's stupid. Thanks, though.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It was. the guy who did My Bloody Valentine 3D is signed to do Halloween 3(D)

Zombie is moving on to a remake of The Blob, and his own pet project Tyrannosaurus Rex

Watch the t-rex movie be about a zombie tyrannosaurus that follows a pteranodon spirit around the land and makes friends with a zombie redneck stegosaurus, knowing Zombie's attempts at black humor.

Actually, come to think of it that might be pretty awesome...

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Full trailer for My Super Psycho Sweet 16. Looks very meh. Why do most characters have to be bitchy these days?

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17741

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ghidzilla posted:

Watch the t-rex movie be about a zombie tyrannosaurus that follows a pteranodon spirit around the land and makes friends with a zombie redneck stegosaurus, knowing Zombie's attempts at black humor.

Actually, come to think of it that might be pretty awesome...

actually T-Rex is the character's name, 51% motherfucker, 49% sunnavabitch

not joking

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Wow....that just screams direct-to-video-b-movie to me.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Overall The Stepfather wasn't bad. Dylan Walsh is actually good at maintaining that thin line of creepy and obvious and is a really good choice, although be forewarned that it's more subdued than the original. The pacing is also pretty strong with the right balance of nefarious activities interspersed. I was kind of worried they would slow play the reveal and make for a first half that was at the mercy of the filmmakers to create an ominious feel. That they didn't made for a much more fun viewing experience. Sela Ward is cute and Amber Heard is perma-bikini'd, the son is generic but not offensively so. The movie is painfully PG-13 and there is an early gaffe where they talk about a crime scene bathed in blood when the scene presented is as pristine as could be. You can be assured that an unrated version will be quick to add CG blood splatter here and there.

The ending is a bit weak although the ramp up to it has some intensity from Walsh which is good. It should also be said that the trailer "stinger" is largely missing, which is fine by me. If it wasn't for the stinger I'd call the trailer for this film one of the year's best trailers (of course that being irrespective of the movie it supposedly represents).

I also gave the original another look afterwards and it's still really good. By contrast O'Quinn always seems pretty unhinged and the entire thing is always falling apart. The remake shows the stepfather maintaining a lot better. The original is also a good deal more violent and bloody while the deaths in the remake are very PG-13 friendly. And it has a much better climax. Original recipe: 4/5 Remake: 3/5

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I totally forgot Wrong Turn 3 is out tomorrow. Can't wait to see it. Probably won't get it till next week though.
I love the first 2, Wrong Turn 2 is better then it had any right to be.

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
What do you mean by trailer stinger? The buzzsaw thing?

mexicanmonkey fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 20, 2009

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Wrong Turn 3 was pretty decent, I enjoyed the 2nd one a lot more due to Henry Rollins and that it seemed more competently put together. Wrong Turn 3 just seemed more 'direct to video' than the last.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

mexicanmonkey posted:

What do you mean by trailer stinger? The buzzsaw thing?

Yeah, the buzzsaw thing. It's pretty much the textbook example of a trailer stinger in that the trailer slows down, shows you the credits, then buzzsaw action.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 20, 2009

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Not a slasher but I wanted to show this poster, pretty cool and couldn't think of a place to put it. Not worth it's own topic.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I love how that poster shows the worst possible day for that guy.

Excellent grabber image though, it bought my interest.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Stepfather is out here 11th of December. Totally going to skip this one. Strike 1 it's from the people who brought us Prom Night (Worst slasher releases in cinemas this decade) and Strike 2, the only decent looking shot in the trailer isn't even in the movie :ughh:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I watched Prom Night strictly for the Stringer Bell/Ziggy Sobotka serial killer hunter teamup. And that movie was terrible.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I saw a trailer before Saw VI that was a movie about a small town where people started coming down with something that made them insane and they started killing other people, but I can't remember the name of the movie. Does anyone here know?

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I saw a trailer before Saw VI that was a movie about a small town where people started coming down with something that made them insane and they started killing other people, but I can't remember the name of the movie. Does anyone here know?
Sounds like you saw a trailer for the remake of the George Romero movie "The Crazies".

The original is one of my favorite things Romero has ever done. I'm still pissed it was remade. But maybe the remake will turn out OK.

Hopefully no one will ever try to remake Martin.

e: Is this the trailer you saw?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMZwQulT1Q

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 28, 2009

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Is anyone actually excited about Legion? It looks terrible, and the old lady's ceiling spider-dance is ridiculous.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

bad movie knight posted:

Is anyone actually excited about Legion? It looks terrible, and the old lady's ceiling spider-dance is ridiculous.
I don't know which is worse: that, or "Gabriel. I knew he'd send you. You were always so eager to please."

Oh, and let's not forget the not-at-all-cliched exchange:
"I don't even believe in God."
"I doubt that he believes in you either."

:rolleyes:

There isn't a single thing about that movie that doesn't look awful.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

UncleMonkey posted:

Sounds like you saw a trailer for the remake of the George Romero movie "The Crazies".

The original is one of my favorite things Romero has ever done. I'm still pissed it was remade. But maybe the remake will turn out OK.

Hopefully no one will ever try to remake Martin.

e: Is this the trailer you saw?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEMZwQulT1Q

Yes, that's it! I had no idea this was a remake of a Romero movie, and this trailer was the first thing I ever heard about this movie. I thought it looked pretty good, and will definitely check out the original now.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bad movie knight posted:

The Exorcist III?
That's a pretty cool movie, my favourite after the original in fact.
edit:oh wait, I thought I was on the horror month thread

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 28, 2009

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

On the topic of the Crazies remake, was there a thread for that? I can't find one, but I don't have archives so I can only look back so far.

I just saw the new trailer (there are two on IMDB but they are really similar to each other) and while I had been looking forward to an updated version, I am saddened by what looks to be another "28 days" type "infected" movie.
The 28 days movies were total rip-offs (in my opinion, of course) of the Crazies, but lacked the depth of story or characters. The new one seems to be going in the direction of "crazy looking infected super-people" which means the new director (Breck Eisner) didn't "get" the original. Apparently he is in the business of directing remakes; Creature from the Black Lagoon and Flash Gordon are both listed as projects for him.

I really love the original Crazies and it's my favorite Romero movie. I think it is far superior to any of the 'Dead movies, much as I love Night of the Living Dead, the Crazies was far more terrifying in that it felt realistic. Zombies lend a certain air of the supernatural, and therefore unrealistic flair, to a movie while the idea that our Government might want to cover up a boo-boo at the expense of some small town folk (and screw it all up through beaurocracy) is pretty true-to-life to me.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

UncleMonkey posted:

I don't know which is worse: that, or "Gabriel. I knew he'd send you. You were always so eager to please."

Oh, and let's not forget the not-at-all-cliched exchange:
"I don't even believe in God."
"I doubt that he believes in you either."

:rolleyes:

There isn't a single thing about that movie that doesn't look awful.

I'll see it if it's as retarded as the trailer.

Did anyone see the Daybreakers trailer? I thought that looked interesting, and Sam Neil as a vampire plus goateed William Dafoe as a vampire hunter make it at least worth renting.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

timeandtide posted:

Did anyone see the Daybreakers trailer? I thought that looked interesting, and Sam Neil as a vampire plus goateed William Dafoe as a vampire hunter make it at least worth renting.

I'm liking a lot of what I see there. Good cast, some solid looking visual style (although goddamn this blue = vampires overused color scheme), and the action looks varied.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002
I didn't wanna start a whole thread for this, so I'm just gonna ask it here.

When I was a kid, I saw this horror movie on TV that started with a woman being trapped in a basement of a house, being tormented by someone in the house. When she's finally able to get out of the basement, she finds that the guy has built this big maze in her house full of traps and poo poo to scare her. It had to be a 70's or 80's movie.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
You would have better luck using the Identify thread on page 2.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Ape Agitator posted:

You would have better luck using the Identify thread on page 2.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

drat it, I can't believe I missed that thread when I was looking for it. Thanks!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Slasherfan posted:

Not a slasher but I wanted to show this poster, pretty cool and couldn't think of a place to put it. Not worth it's own topic.

Holy poo poo, they're making a movie out of The Horror of the Heights. That's like my dream project. This better be good.

For reference, here's the short story. It was written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1913, so I guess they're piggybacking this on the assumption that the new Holmes movie will do well: http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/ff3/heights.htm

e: actually it turns out it's more like a mashup of that story with the langoleirs or something.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

An early review for the Nightmare on Elm Street remake is up at AICN, and I don't at all like what I'm reading. The reviewer says the film isn't actually bad, but it's pretty mediocre.

The most disturbing news? No nudity. Very little gore. The reviewer speculates several times that it looks like the studio is considering going for a PG-13 on this one.

Ugh.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42932

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

UncleMonkey posted:

An early review for the Nightmare on Elm Street remake is up at AICN, and I don't at all like what I'm reading. The reviewer says the film isn't actually bad, but it's pretty mediocre.

The most disturbing news? No nudity. Very little gore. The reviewer speculates several times that it looks like the studio is considering going for a PG-13 on this one.

Ugh.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42932

PG-13 Freddy? :what:

So, as I figured from the mediocre trailer, the movie's going to turn out to be another dime-a-dozen cheap slasher. That blows. There doesn't seem to be anything in this movie that makes it stand out from the crowd, which is a real shame as they could have made a kick rear end movie with the given source material. Instead it's just another cheap money grab. That makes me sad.

They can shut the gently caress up about the whole "It's not 100% done don't worry blahblahblah" because that's what they said with Wolverine too, and we all know how that turned out.

I guess we can wait around for the Hellraiser remake now and see how they gently caress that up.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

UncleMonkey posted:

The reviewer speculates several times that it looks like the studio is considering going for a PG-13 on this one.

:gonk:

I just finished watching all 8 Nightmare movies (1-6, New Nightmare, and Freddy vs Jason) last week. I love Freddy as a wisecracker but found I enjoyed the 1st and New Nightmare the most, when Freddy was less of a jokester and instead was more silent, darker and all around evil. When I heard the new Freddy would be more in this vein, I got pumped. When I saw the new trailer, I was estatic! The dreams had an offsetting, Silent Hill vibe and the kids looked terrified to be in them.

The concept of a brutal, sadistic monster that relentlessly stalks you in your worst nightmare has so much potential, and it infuriates me that this movie is less about that, and more about making a quick buck off the trend of horror remakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

spixxor posted:

PG-13 Freddy? :what:

So, as I figured from the mediocre trailer, the movie's going to turn out to be another dime-a-dozen cheap slasher. That blows. There doesn't seem to be anything in this movie that makes it stand out from the crowd, which is a real shame as they could have made a kick rear end movie with the given source material. Instead it's just another cheap money grab. That makes me sad.

They can shut the gently caress up about the whole "It's not 100% done don't worry blahblahblah" because that's what they said with Wolverine too, and we all know how that turned out.

I guess we can wait around for the Hellraiser remake now and see how they gently caress that up.
Yeah, even if effects shots aren't done yet, it's still a working cut of the movie. What, did they shoot more footage that wasn't included in the film that might make it better? Are they going to re-shoot stuff? Add in some blood digitally?

Like you said, it's just another quick cash grab with zero respect shown to the original source material. Once again they go out and get the most mediocre screenwriters available. Now they'll put out some toothless piece of poo poo that the Teeny Boppers will go to see anyway because they don't actually give a poo poo and will go to anything. So the studio will be validated, even if the real horror fans hate it.