Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

iastudent posted:

The thing that gets me about Lobstermen and the swordfish show as well is the generic narrator, that if you've watched Discovery in the last decade, you've already heard.

I'm not expecting them to hire Mike Rowe for every nautical show they produce, but a little variety might help make them stand out.

That narrator is the producer of just about every single one of those shows, including Deadliest Catch. He narrated the proto-DC miniseries as well. He also produced and narrated Toughest Jobs in America, which was basically a gameshow/reality show that touched just about every "job" series he's done (oil, crab fishing, lumberjacks, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

That narrator is the producer of just about every single one of those shows, including Deadliest Catch. He narrated the proto-DC miniseries as well. He also produced and narrated Toughest Jobs in America, which was basically a gameshow/reality show that touched just about every "job" series he's done (oil, crab fishing, lumberjacks, etc.)

Huh, didn't know about him being a producer. I just remember hearing his voice when I used to watch Monster Garage/House and thinking how long he's been with the network.

Anyways, I'm all but committed to watch that special on "secret symbols in D.C." tomorrow night. I could use some laughs on a sunday night.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

Yeah, the disparity between Grant and Tory was crazy. When Grant woke up on the second day and said he wasn't hungover, I expected to hear him say he had thrown up in the middle of the night.

I just can't get over that after all the careful controlling of conditions, they still didn't bother to eliminate the obvious placebo effect caused by them knowing what they were drinking.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

SecretFire posted:

I just can't get over that after all the careful controlling of conditions, they still didn't bother to eliminate the obvious placebo effect caused by them knowing what they were drinking.

I've been doing some reading on the placebo effect lately and it is amazing how powerful it is. Still, they would have had a hard time hind the fact that they were drinking beer from them because I can't really think of a way to make beer NOT taste like beer. Alcohol would be easier since you could probably make up a mixed drink where the average person wouldn't taste the liquor.

They still both knew they were supposed to be drunk and the myth wasn't "how drunk", but "how hungover". If there really was a placebo effect to the myth, they probably would have felt better from just beer than beer+liquor, but since they had the opposite result it probably wasn't much of a factor.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

I've been doing some reading on the placebo effect lately and it is amazing how powerful it is. Still, they would have had a hard time hind the fact that they were drinking beer from them because I can't really think of a way to make beer NOT taste like beer. Alcohol would be easier since you could probably make up a mixed drink where the average person wouldn't taste the liquor.

They still both knew they were supposed to be drunk and the myth wasn't "how drunk", but "how hungover". If there really was a placebo effect to the myth, they probably would have felt better from just beer than beer+liquor, but since they had the opposite result it probably wasn't much of a factor.

I agree blinding it would be pretty difficult, they basically have to mix both with a large volume of a strong tasting liquid. Really the only reason I'm harping on it is that they went to the extent of putting up a bunch of drywall but skipped the most obvious, glaring hole in the experiment.

And the fact that the experiment's results were opposite what was expected doesn't mean that blinding wouldn't have made a difference.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Should have just kept it simple and let them drink to the point of being sloshed for both, instead of measuring it out to amounts of alcohol. Theres also no knowing before the test started how much they'd drank and taking into account short term tolerance.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Has anyone been disappointed in Dirty Jobs so far this year? Besides the semi-interesting window-washing (and thats being generous on the interest), the rest of the episodes have been pretty boring and not very dirty at all. Last night with the camels was incredibly boring.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Has anyone been disappointed in Dirty Jobs so far this year? Besides the semi-interesting window-washing (and thats being generous on the interest), the rest of the episodes have been pretty boring and not very dirty at all. Last night with the camels was incredibly boring.

It's been that way for a long time now.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Really, there's only so many jobs that pay you to gently caress around with sewage.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Dirty Jobs is still the best show on discovery regardless that Rowe hardly ever gets dirty anymore. He's just so good at getting away with being kind of a dick to half the people he works with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gazaar posted:

Dirty Jobs is still the best show on discovery regardless that Rowe hardly ever gets dirty anymore. He's just so good at getting away with being kind of a dick to half the people he works with.

He's more than enough of a comedian to carry the show when the material is not outrageous. The meat-curing segment of Dirty Jobs is easily the best thing I've seen on Discovery that didn't involve an explosion.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 28, 2009

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

haveblue posted:

He's more than enough of a comedian to carry the show when the material is not outrageous. The meat-curing segment of Dirty Jobs is easily the best thing I've seen on Discovery that didn't involve an explosion.

Oh absolutely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChjMRfi40c

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

It seems like they've really toned down the "dirty" humor in this set of episodes compared to the last set. They were really over the top with it in the last set of episodes and it was fairly annoying. On last night's episode they made it through the entire segment where they were cleaning out the camel's hooves without a single "cameltoe" joke.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Mike is genial and entertaining when he's interacting glibly, not so much when he takes an aside and tries to specifically be a ham. Say "poop" on primetime off-cable with that obnoxious shiteating grin yet again, motherfucker. Do it. DO IT

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I haven't seen a preview or anything yet but Mythbusters could be pretty good tonight based on the general description verizon is giving me. Adam and Jaime are doing kitchen myths and the build team are doing some kind of cheese cannon myth maybe? Build team can go to hell forever without Scotty.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I think the build team gets a bad rap for no particular reason, they're jsut average photogenic nerds with advanced engineering degrees and experience. They act pretty drat natural aside from the infrequent awkward skit.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

hall n oates mom posted:

I think the build team gets a bad rap for no particular reason, they're jsut average photogenic nerds with advanced engineering degrees and experience. They act pretty drat natural aside from the infrequent awkward skit.

I dunno, I like the old formula of a solid 43 minutes of Adam and Jaime just tooling around.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Gazaar posted:

I dunno, I like the old formula of a solid 43 minutes of Adam and Jaime just tooling around.
I'm not saying I prefer them (should go without saying for any fan), but this is a lot better than the sidekick tools discovery usually has on all their shows of this vein (manufactured drama, artificial shallow characterization, other asinine miscellany)

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Honestly I think the fireball would have hit 30 feet, if not for the wind outside.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
The entire cheese thing makes sense to me. Really anything going fast enough is going to gently caress something up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

hall n oates mom posted:

This I've always wondered about. I'm sure Grant has some sort of wonderful degree, but I've never heard mention of Tori or Kari's experience. Does anyone have any info on this?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

feedmyleg posted:

This I've always wondered about. I'm sure Grant has some sort of wonderful degree, but I've never heard mention of Tori or Kari's experience. Does anyone have any info on this?

IIRC Tori's a master set builder, and Kari's... well, Kari smiles a lot and had that magazine spread!

And you have no idea how much geek cred Grant has. Fucker was at the controls for R2D2 in the prequels.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

peniscurve posted:

Honestly I think the fireball would have hit 30 feet, if not for the wind outside.

That was my thought as well. It seemed like they didn't even pay attention to the wind.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

Kari kept showing up at M5 and pestering Jamie that she got a job. Then she showed her rear end for the airplane toilet myth. That's it.

I'm not even kidding. She is completely worthless.

The others, as much as I hate them, actually have some business being there.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I should have stipulated that Kari is mostly useless. She wouldn't be there if she were so darn cute! Thankfully her personality doesn't suck the air out of every single scene she's in so it gets a pass.

Why would you hate Grant or Tori? That's a strong word and they hardly do anything so odious as to justify such a response. Don't be hatin'

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 29, 2009

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I think Tory owes everything to his bicycle jump gently caress up from that early season. Producers: "This guy is a dumb rear end who will try anything, he's a keeper."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBEmInSdsx4

His drunken escapades last week made me think we would have another incident, but he somehow managed to land on the bed when he climbed the unstable dummy wall and jumped off the top.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 29, 2009

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kari was just an intern when she first ended up on the show right? So she was basically the only one who wasn't a "pro"-anything. I remember somewhere mentioning that she was an artist or something, so I'm guessing she was more of an art department person when it comes to film and TV, though she apparently didn't get far before getting hired for Mythbusters?

I'm guessing all these guys actually still do film work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm guessing all these guys actually still do film work.

Do they even have time for it? Their entire workplace seems to be used for the show, and most of the stuff they do now seems to require hours or days of setup.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

hall n oates mom posted:

My issue with them, and most of my friends are on the same boat, is that a lot of their "myths" in recent seasons are sort of flimsy and could be answered without any experimentation and a little critical thinking. They have been getting better in newer episodes - I actually really liked their beer and liquor test last week (though I think they flubbed the actual experiment process,) and both of last night's B-squad experiments were neat, though I wouldn't describe the C4 in the microwave as a "myth."

Oh, and their reactions. Wicked annoying. Over the seasons the build team's have gone from genuine surprise to bad community theater levels. Tory in particular seems like he's restraining himself from rubbing one out every time a scale model works.

hall n oates mom posted:

I'm not saying I prefer them (should go without saying for any fan), but this is a lot better than the sidekick tools discovery usually has on all their shows of this vein (manufactured drama, artificial shallow characterization, other asinine miscellany)

This is very true, however. Aside from the overplayed reactions, I think they're pretty good on-air personalities. I hate tuning into a new series that looks interesting only to find out that there is some jackass on the sidelines that the producers wanted to be the "memorable character" who is hamming it up/being a dick for no reason ("DOING DA VINCI," I'M LOOKING AT YOU, YOU OBNOXIOUS PRICK)

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

I think Tory owes everything to his bicycle jump gently caress up from that early season. Producers: "This guy is a dumb rear end who will try anything, he's a keeper."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBEmInSdsx4

His drunken escapades last week made me think we would have another incident, but he somehow managed to land on the bed when he climbed the unstable dummy wall and jumped off the top.

I believe Tory also designed the Pod Racers and Federation Battleships for Star Wars Episode 1, so he's at least an experienced designer/builder.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

This is very true, however. Aside from the overplayed reactions, I think they're pretty good on-air personalities. I hate tuning into a new series that looks interesting only to find out that there is some jackass on the sidelines that the producers wanted to be the "memorable character" who is hamming it up/being a dick for no reason ("DOING DA VINCI," I'M LOOKING AT YOU, YOU OBNOXIOUS PRICK)

Goddamn that show.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So what's up with Discovery's sunday primetime lineup taking a page from the History Channel? I know Halloween's around the corner, but Nostradamus and government occultism aren't what springs to my mind at first.

Also, I've got no lost love as well for Doing Da Vinci. I can't remember a single likable face from that show.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Palleon posted:

I believe Tory also designed the Pod Racers and Federation Battleships for Star Wars Episode 1, so he's at least an experienced designer/builder.

Isn't he also the only one there that actually has some sort of stunt certification? I seem to remember them mentioning that when they were testing shark myths, when Adam wanted to be the one in the shark rig they had to punch in the eye but they had to have Tory go first to make sure it was safe.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Honeymoon posted:

Isn't he also the only one there that actually has some sort of stunt certification? I seem to remember them mentioning that when they were testing shark myths, when Adam wanted to be the one in the shark rig they had to punch in the eye but they had to have Tory go first to make sure it was safe.

They did, but played it off as Tori coming up on the low end of the totem pole rather than being more qualified IIRC.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

haveblue posted:

They did, but played it off as Tori coming up on the low end of the totem pole rather than being more qualified IIRC.

I'm pretty sure they did the same thing for the "dropping through an awning" myth too. The insurance people wouldn't let Adam do it, but Tori was fine.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
I think I remember when they first introduced Tori they said he had some number of years of stunt man experience.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Honeymoon posted:

They've mentioned before that their insurance will let Tory do poo poo that they won't let the others. I guess he has some kind of training or certification or something.

hall n oates mom posted:

Why would you hate Grant or Tori? That's a strong word and they hardly do anything so odious as to justify such a response. Don't be hatin'

Hyperbole, on the internet?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JethroMcB posted:

overplayed reactions

Those two words are the entirety of my problem with the build team. The constant high fives and freaking the gently caress out over everything really wear on me.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Wow this season of Storm Cashers. Who the gently caress pissed in everyones coffee? Everyone is at each others throats this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gorilla Salad posted:

Those two words are the entirety of my problem with the build team. The constant high fives and freaking the gently caress out over everything really wear on me.

I'd rather have constant freaking out and high-fiving than another "Well, the car exploded exactly as we predicted it would beforehand on paper, because we can't improvise or allow any uncertainty when we use this much C4 :geno:" from Jamie.

• Locked thread