Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Baby Hitler posted:

If you feel like parting with your Forge, I converted my Mazda to run on those euro Bosch units so a Forge is drop in.

I'll let you know. Right now, I'm getting compressor surge-like noises with the AWE, so I'm gonna reinstall the Forge tomorrow to see if the noise goes away when it's back in. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

lil bip posted:

Replaced the radiator in my poor old 93 Civic, hopefully the new one wont disintigrate. I did it in the carpark at work too about 10 minutes after it arrived.

How long did it take? Did your boss/coworkers get annoyed at you working on your car there?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
The Forge DV is back in, and the noise is gone. I also installed a "GadgeTT" GPS mount in the TT, which fits between the two center vents. Speaking of German overengineering, the TT vents would fit the bill I believe:

There's a flap in the vent to close it off.

The aluminum ring on the front of the vent rotates to close this flap. To do this, they have no less than four gear rings to connect the flap to the aluminum trim ring:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DogDodger posted:

The Forge DV is back in, and the noise is gone.

Are you done with the AWE DV1, or do you think you'll try to ask them if it might be defective?

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

ExecuDork posted:

How long did it take? Did your boss/coworkers get annoyed at you working on your car there?

It took me about 15 minutes, as I work for an industrial engineering company working on your car is considered manly.

:)

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Changed the oil in the VR6 (2001 Golf GTI). Probably the only car i've had where I actually like changing the oil.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

kimbo305 posted:

Are you done with the AWE DV1, or do you think you'll try to ask them if it might be defective?

I know 3 other TT people with the DV1 who don't have this issue, so I'm gonna give it another shot after seeing if anything inside it is ripped and also after giving AWE a shout. It'll be a while, though. I worked 9-9 yesterday and today, tomorrow I'm off to Barber for an HPDE weekend, then I'm working 9-9 Monday and Tuesday. :(

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Replaced the failing DV on my Audi with a forge splitter valve. No more boost leak and I don't care how 2 bi 2 curious it is I loving love blowoff valve sounds.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Finally bought piston rings, a water pump, 2 gen 3 lifters and a tension pulley for my 3sge. Time to rebuild her!

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Got my car Dynotuned -- 3.15" pulley on my ct-sc, made in china ssr replica header, 520cc injectors, 70mm borla setup and a terrible heatsoaked to poo poo short ram. made 308whp -- sae corrected. I nearly cried when it broke 300. If anyone wants my dyno I'd be happy to post it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

omgitstheinternet posted:

Replaced the failing DV on my Audi with a forge splitter valve. No more boost leak and I don't care how 2 bi 2 curious it is I loving love blowoff valve sounds.

When are you gonna pick up the BBS wheels in 18x12 and put some poke on that poor car?

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

nerdrum posted:

Got my car Dynotuned -- 3.15" pulley on my ct-sc, made in china ssr replica header, 520cc injectors, 70mm borla setup and a terrible heatsoaked to poo poo short ram. made 308whp -- sae corrected. I nearly cried when it broke 300. If anyone wants my dyno I'd be happy to post it.

What kind of car? Post the dyno graph!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
A motor mount broke when I was driving, causing the engine to drop and break the flex pipe to the exhaust and make a lot of big scary noises.

Now it's in the shop waiting for parts. :(

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I went from this.

to this.

K&N claims an 11 HP increase to the rear wheels. I don't know if it's making more power, but oh my god the noise. It's fantastic!

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Just a coolant flush and replacement of a faulty thermostat on my 2k 9-5. Then, drove up SR431 and back down again. Next, it's time for brakes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Meguilar Ultimate Polished the etched in bird poo poo stains on the hood of my WRX, seems to have done the trick.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I went from this.

to this.

K&N claims an 11 HP increase to the rear wheels. I don't know if it's making more power, but oh my god the noise. It's fantastic!

Nice! I hadn't seen the K&N installed before. Looks good. The noise is definitely well worth it!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Replaced a blown turn signal bulb. I wanted to replace the bulbs for the license-plate lamp, but could not. I took it to a mechanic a couple of weeks ago, they noted a problem with the license bulb. They failed to note that the entire license lamp assembly is missing! I guess it's time for another run to the junkyard, but I am highly confused - why would the license lamp be missing? :psyduck:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I guess it's time for another run to the junkyard, but I am highly confused - why would the license lamp be missing? :psyduck:

That's probably exactly what the person said before stealing yours!

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I guess it's time for another run to the junkyard, but I am highly confused - why would the license lamp be missing? :psyduck:

For some reason, they commonly break on that car. Mine is dangling by the wire. I've tried looking for the same part in the junkyard in the past - but of the 3 cars I found in the yard I went to, one had the part missing, and two were broken just like mine was.

Anyway, I got about halfway through replacing the radiator, fan, fan clutch, and radiator hoses on my 8 series today. I would have completed it, were it not for the Pentosin cooler mounted to the old radiator. I ended up having to drill holes in the new rad to mount it, since none were provided. Despite careful measurements, my holes ended up being slightly off on the bottom, and I had to redrill one of them. Then, threading the bolts was a bitch because the bottom two are annoying as poo poo to access and I kept dropping them. I finally got them all in, but by that point it was dark out and I couldn't see anything. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow and I'll be able to finish the job.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Nice! I hadn't seen the K&N installed before. Looks good. The noise is definitely well worth it!

I was going for the Rotofab, but Maryland Speed had the K&N for $279.99 with free shipping. I just couldn't beat the price. A couple of weeks ago Superchips came out with a Cortex tune with the K&N installed. It definitely pulls harder than before, although I can't say how much more power it's making.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I was going for the Rotofab, but Maryland Speed had the K&N for $279.99 with free shipping. I just couldn't beat the price. A couple of weeks ago Superchips came out with a Cortex tune with the K&N installed. It definitely pulls harder than before, although I can't say how much more power it's making.

Maryland Speed is a great shop. I ordered my Cortex with them as well. I actually have an intake from a company called Jetttstream, and their intake is the same design as the AFE full CAI, so I am running the Superchips AFE tune right now. I switched it back to 87 for the winter though.

The Rotofab is a nice intake but it is really overpriced. I can't see paying $400+ for something that might make a difference of 1 or 2 hp if anything at all.

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I finished up my radiator installation today. Went fairly smoothly, although I had to hit Home Depot when the hose clamps that were on there decided they no longer wanted to clamp. After a few new clamps, the car is back on the road.

Oh, and I changed my cabin filters...

They were the originals :gonk: I think I know why nobody ever changed them though, the drat filters were nearly $70 for the pair.

And finally, I put the Prelude up on ramps to see if I could find my massive exhaust leak. Find it I did - there is a hole the size of a quarter in the midpipe where the exhaust hanger was welded on. Seems the pipe rusted out in that spot, and the hanger ripped itself out. Time to track down a new midpipe, I guess.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Not my ride, but it was fun, so it counts?

Tore down a rusted rear end L30 with 300k miles on it from a '95 C/K. Next weekend I get to measure cylinders and take stock of what needs replacing/machining.

Then I get to figure out how it goes back together. :v:

It's a learning experience.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I too did work on a car that wasn't mine. My neighbor is parting out his Integra and I gave him a hand today.

Took out the radiator, headers, cat, exhaust, front brakes, rotors, front control arm assembly, front sway bar and the shift linkage. That car is ridiculously easy to work on. I learned way more than I expected to so that was nice.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Black88GTA posted:

Ughh... I did mine a while ago and as I wiggled it out, I thought to myself "oh cool, it must be one of those activated carbon filters to cut down on odors" because it was black. Oh how wrong I was.

Yesterday, I replaced the thermostat in my e34 525i. When I went to hook everything back up, I noticed that it must have had a wrong rad hose or something, because I couldn't get more than half of each end of the lower hose onto the flanges. New hoses were only 10 bucks, so I did both.

Then today, I replaced my throttle body and intake manifold gaskets. Pain in the rear end because the rear soft line on the fuel rail had turned to stone. I had to use a knife to remove hard brittle chunks of it at a time. Then I reset my oil and inspection service lights by jumping pins 7 and 19 with a piece of wire. Got them both on the first try. :smugdog:

Soon I'm doing the oil pan gasket. Not looking forward to that. More because it is a greasy mess down there than it being difficult.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 3, 2009

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Gave up and had it towed to the shop. :( Later, felt better about not being able to figure out what the drat deal was, because the laundry list of Broken poo poo started with a timing chain and its cover, valve covers, gaskets, PCV valve, and continued for some time. Total amount of dick in my rear end: just shy of 1800 after tax. :(

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

Baby Hitler posted:

When are you gonna pick up the BBS wheels in 18x12 and put some poke on that poor car?

I wish :(

Besides, I'm looking for 17x9 :D

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

PopeCrunch posted:

Gave up and had it towed to the shop. :( Later, felt better about not being able to figure out what the drat deal was, because the laundry list of Broken poo poo started with a timing chain and its cover, valve covers, gaskets, PCV valve, and continued for some time. Total amount of dick in my rear end: just shy of 1800 after tax. :(

poo poo... I've been there. Years ago, loving timing chain of doom. AFTER $1000 in chassis electrical - they charged me half on labour because they felt sorry for me.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Today I got my starter and alternator put back on, put all the fuses back on and started her up for the first time in a couple weeks. She's still got the bad electrical drain I was trying to chase, but I had to put it together for the event this weekend. Tomorrow I have to put the lower engine pan back on, throw the carpet back in, get it off the ramps and drive it a bit before I am comfortable with it, then put on the new wheels and wash it all.

I've been meaning to make a thread about it for awhile but have been lazy. Will try to do with the pictures I get this weekend.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I went from this.

to this.

Nice. I was eyeing a Vararam auction on Ebay last week that ended at $305 shipped, but I'm still torn on what intake to go with regardless. I will likely couple a tune with this as well... Finally have someone interested in my old AccessPoint. You should make a recording of your new ferociousness. :devil:

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

Nice. I was eyeing a Vararam auction on Ebay last week that ended at $305 shipped, but I'm still torn on what intake to go with regardless. I will likely couple a tune with this as well... Finally have someone interested in my old AccessPoint. You should make a recording of your new ferociousness. :devil:

I was going to go with the Vararam, but the price on the K&N was just too good. I would love to take a video, but I've just got a digital camera and I'm not sure how it does on video. I may give it a try today or tomorrow.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Found out my rear springs are broken. :suicide:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Tremek posted:

The other over the radiator intake, the one by New Era, has had some problems with water pooling in the intake if the car sits in hard rains. A couple people have had ruined engines as a result. I haven't heard the same of the Vararam yet but I don't know if I'd chance it.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

The Vararam is a different design, even though they're both OTR type. It was discussed pretty extensively at grrrr8.net, and it was decided that it's safe due to the different design. Who knows though.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I rotated the tires on the WRX. I cleaned the wheel wells and the insides of the wheels while they were off. Then I washed the car, cleaned the door sills and finished it off with spray detailer and tire foam.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Oil and ATF change time!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3211626&pagenumber=2#post367999442

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I installed a K&N air-filter. The throttle response is slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I installed power mirrors from another '81 240 to replace the crappy, deglazing manual mirrors that came with my 245. Since the mirrors run off their own harness, incorporating it/them into the existing wiring was as easy as connecting a spade connector to the fuse panel and finding a ground. The worst part of the whole process was removing the front seats so that the wiring harness could run under the front-seat carpeting. All in all, a worthwhile modification, since visibility to the rear is increased, I can adjust both mirrors from the driver's seat, and the passenger mirror holds its position instead of slipping towards the ground at speed.