Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Nothing to read here.

germskr fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The flash will freeze it whether it's moving or not. If it's dark and you're using a high f/stop for the flash that would work pretty well.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I'm retarded. :doh:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

germskr posted:

I'm retarded. :doh:

If only I'd seen the original post.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 28, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cyberbob posted:

It does mean less control over the outcome, so it might need a few reshoots.. and can only be done in near darkness.. but it'd work, no?
Yes. Put your flash on strobe mode and go wild.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Cyberbob posted:

This guy takes 8fps on a D3, combines them in Photoshop and makes them look pretty drat good.

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2009/10/chase-jarvis-tech-strobed-photo.html

How possible would it be just to use a long shutter and strobe the flashes yourself, on the off chance that ya can't get hold of a D3.

It does mean less control over the outcome, so it might need a few reshoots.. and can only be done in near darkness.. but it'd work, no?

Yeah that would work just fine, but, like you said, you will need to work in near perfect darkness.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

oh man thats cool, is he in the hampton roads area? need an assistant on anything regarding the shoot?

He's in Richmond, I'm gonna stop by on my way up to northern Virginia for a Halloween party.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Cyberbob posted:

This guy takes 8fps on a D3, combines them in Photoshop and makes them look pretty drat good.

How possible would it be just to use a long shutter and strobe the flashes yourself, on the off chance that ya can't get hold of a D3.

Hell, you don't even need strobes if you just want to do a quick and dirty one.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Stupid question, but it's always been nagging me.

Is there anyway to get lower than ISO200 on my 40D without going out of a manual setting? I can only get 200 in manual/priorities, but if I throw the camera into Portrait mode it can do 100. Anyway I can bypass this?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Cyberbob posted:

TsarAleksi posted:

Yeah that would work just fine, but, like you said, you will need to work in near perfect darkness.
has to be perfectly lit or you'll get ghosting, like if any light from the previous flash spills behind the subject's next location.

i experimented with this a while ago when I had nothing better to do

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

No. 9 posted:

Stupid question, but it's always been nagging me.

Is there anyway to get lower than ISO200 on my 40D without going out of a manual setting? I can only get 200 in manual/priorities, but if I throw the camera into Portrait mode it can do 100. Anyway I can bypass this?

This is odd. ISO 100 is the base ISO, available in everything but some autoiso situations. If you can't set it to 100, there's a problem. Did you buy it used? Take a look at the manual. Manual

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

torgeaux posted:

This is odd. ISO 100 is the base ISO, available in everything but some autoiso situations. If you can't set it to 100, there's a problem. Did you buy it used? Take a look at the manual. Manual

I can't get below 200 in Manual or Priorities. Only in the C1, C2. C3 modes I can set it at 100.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
You have on highlight tone priority. REad the manual. It's limited to 200 ISO when that's enabled.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

poopinmymouth posted:

You have on highlight tone priority. REad the manual. It's limited to 200 ISO when that's enabled.

:doh: thanks!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

poopinmymouth posted:

Ha. I completely forgot about that limitation. Don't use it, don't have those situations that often.

scorntic
Jul 6, 2006
I was wondering what file types you guys use to print out pictures. I have a nikon d80, and I know there are different file types on the actual camera to choose from when you're shooting...and I know you can change them in photoshop aswell. I'm asking cause everytime I have them in jpeg format they never print out decently at a kiosk. And its for every digital camera I've ever owned..so I was wondering if there was a special technique I'm missing or something.

thanks! I'm kinda new to post-processing so I'm completely lost

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

scorntic posted:

I was wondering what file types you guys use to print out pictures. I have a nikon d80, and I know there are different file types on the actual camera to choose from when you're shooting...and I know you can change them in photoshop aswell. I'm asking cause everytime I have them in jpeg format they never print out decently at a kiosk. And its for every digital camera I've ever owned..so I was wondering if there was a special technique I'm missing or something.

I know it sounds really wacky, but I use .PNG files because they're small but lossless. If there were no file size limits, I'd use TIFF. But I don't print very often, so I don't know what the actual best format is.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
this might sound strange, but I'm making a greyscale zone card for myself..

Would it make a big difference if the dynamic range that was covered was in the very low end of shutter speeds?

I did some test shots last night and zone 0 was 30 seconds, all the way up to zone 10 which was about 1/30 IIRC.

Would you expect a greycard to look any different if the shutter speed ranged in that range, compared to doing it on a bright sunny day where zone 0 had to be done at 1/4000, covering a completely different range of shutter speeds?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

scorntic posted:

thanks! I'm kinda new to post-processing so I'm completely lost

check out https://www.drycreekphoto.com for lots of more info and the print thread. Brad Industry and others have lots of insights. If there are a few keepers, I recommend shooting in RAW because it's much easier to do post processing work. You can fine tune white balance and the colours more than JPEG.

I'm a newbie at this too but it's not really the file type that's the major concern. It's the printer's ICC colour profile which affects how your picture looks on paper. When you make adjustments, adjust your monitor's ICC profile to your designated printer.

If they don't have a ICC profile, then ask if they print in sRGB or CYMK. CHange your settings accordingly and hopefully the pictures turn our right.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Cyberbob posted:

Would it make a big difference if the dynamic range that was covered was in the very low end of shutter speeds?

I did some test shots last night and zone 0 was 30 seconds, all the way up to zone 10 which was about 1/30 IIRC.

Would you expect a greycard to look any different if the shutter speed ranged in that range, compared to doing it on a bright sunny day where zone 0 had to be done at 1/4000, covering a completely different range of shutter speeds?

It shouldn't matter, assuming that zone 5 is 18% percent or whatever and you're metering off zone 5 and the rest of the zones are getting the same light.

30 seconds and 1/30th are about 10 stops apart so I think you're doing it right. Did zone 5 meter at 1"?

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Yes that's going to be a pretty major problem because of reciprocity failure at the longer shutter speeds.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

brad industry posted:

Yes that's going to be a pretty major problem because of reciprocity failure at the longer shutter speeds.

Thanks, That's what I thought. I just didn't know the technical term for it.

I'm doing an correspondence course at the moment, and one of the assignments was to make a greycard and test the dynamic range of your cameras.
It was so drat dark inside that zone 10 ended up being 30 seconds long, and I was thinking "surely i'd get different results much quicker shutter speeds"

Edit: after a decent google, it sounds like Reciprocity failure is only applicable to film, not so much digital photography.. is that correct?

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 29, 2009

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cyberbob posted:

Edit: after a decent google, it sounds like Reciprocity failure is only applicable to film, not so much digital photography.. is that correct?

Correct.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

On digital you just have to be a bit careful about noise in long exposures.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

On digital you just have to be a bit careful about noise in long exposures.

Curse you, red pixels! :argh:

Also, Reciprocity Failure would be a great name for a technical death metal band.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
point-n-shoot question
I am a VERY beginner-level picture taker with a Powershot Pro1. I just saw that the SX120IS is out and cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX120IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B002LITT3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1256920483&sr=1-1

I asked about replacing my Pro1 in this thread a month ago or so, and was told to keep it because its sensor is bigger than in the new Powershots.

Is the consensus really that I am better off with a 5 year old camera with a 2/3" ccd than a fancy-schmancy new one with a 1/2.5" ??

edit: What about the G11? I'd be willing to wait for the price to drop on those if that 1/1.7 made it that much better.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 30, 2009

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Newbie question... no, not me.

I'm trying to teach a friend of mine the basics of shooting, and she's having trouble coming up with inspiration to start burning through film. Is there anything out there that anyone knows of that's sort of like an idea list for beginners? I can teach her how to work the camera and I can offer up suggestions for composition, but she's got to be the one that is inspired to point it at something. Any help would be appreciated.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

McMadCow posted:

Is there anything out there that anyone knows of that's sort of like an idea list for beginners? I can teach her how to work the camera and I can offer up suggestions for composition, but she's got to be the one that is inspired to point it at something. Any help would be appreciated.

Go for a walk in the park. Nature is easy to photograph because it doesn't move. You can focus on individual subjects like flowers or you can do landscapes. There will most likely be widely varying light conditions as well.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
What about shoot a roll of images that focuses on each of the elements and principles of design?

http://www.wiu.edu/art/courses/design/intro.htm

ie. shoot one that shows texture, one for repetition, one for symmetry, etc.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

McMadCow posted:

Newbie question... no, not me.

I'm trying to teach a friend of mine the basics of shooting, and she's having trouble coming up with inspiration to start burning through film. Is there anything out there that anyone knows of that's sort of like an idea list for beginners? I can teach her how to work the camera and I can offer up suggestions for composition, but she's got to be the one that is inspired to point it at something. Any help would be appreciated.

When I started film in high school, I took rolls and rolls and skateboarding shots. Are you into any group activities? Maybe it would be easier to just try and document something. Give you something to focus on, set it on aperture priority and just get comfortable with it.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I met Shaun this afternoon, the camera truck guy. He showed me the truck and talked about the process, then pulled out a couple enormous finished prints to take a look at, which were super cool.

The photos I took are nothing special at all, basically quick snaps while he was doing a few things. I was focusing more on the reporting aspect, since I'm gonna write a story on him. All the same, when I've put that stuff together in the next day or two I'll share it here. :)

He's a really cool guy, by the way. He's not a photographer by trade. He's in marketing, just always been interested in photography and decided to try out his crazy idea.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
I used to think ISO 100 was the "best" ISO. Now, it seems most high-end cameras start at 200. Can someone explain this to me? I am thinking it has something to do with the switch from CCD to CMOS sensors.
I skimmed the Wikipedia article and found this relevant bit:

quote:

For example, a camera sensor may have the following properties: S40:1 = 107, S10:1 = 1688, and Ssat = 49. According to the standard, the camera should report its sensitivity as

ISO 100 (daylight)
ISO speed latitude 50–1600
ISO 100 (SOS, daylight).

The SOS rating could be user controlled. For a different camera with a noisier sensor, the properties might be S40:1 = 40, S10:1 = 800, and Ssat = 200. In this case, the camera should report

ISO 200 (daylight),
Is a sensor that "begins" at 200 really worse than one that starts at 100?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Spectracide posted:

I used to think ISO 100 was the "best" ISO. Now, it seems most high-end cameras start at 200. Can someone explain this to me? I am thinking it has something to do with the switch from CCD to CMOS sensors.

You really can't generalize, it just depends on what sensor and what body you're talking about. Most Canons go to ISO 100, most Nikons start at 200.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I'm pretty much a complete newbie, so forgive the potentially really lame question that follows.

What kind of camera is needed to take those really cool night time cityscape photos? This is an example of what I'm talking about. Is that anything special? Or can it be done with a pretty much anything?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm pretty much a complete newbie, so forgive the potentially really lame question that follows.

What kind of camera is needed to take those really cool night time cityscape photos? This is an example of what I'm talking about. Is that anything special? Or can it be done with a pretty much anything?

Tripod.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Tripod and a long shutter speed. Most cameras can do this decently, you just need to avoid shake as the camera takes light in, so, yeah, tripod.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Or if you are really poor a solid ledge that won't move and ISN'T right next to water so your camera gets blown off into it.

Put on self timer so you don't move the camera by pressing the shutter button.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Any camera with some level of manual control. Turn off the flash, set to lowest ISO, shoot for long exposure. Self-timer and camera not hand held. Ta da.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Spectracide posted:

My best guess is that they do this so that they can get cleaner pictures at the high end. If they start at a faster ISO they can end at a faster ISO. If ISO 100 was the base, then 3200 would be the max. Instead, 6400 is the max (and then you can push it to 12,800 or 25,600).

To answer your other question, no, a sensor that starts at 200 is not worse than one that starts at 100. They're just different. You have to look at the other characteristics of the sensor to determine if one is better than the other. Where the 200/100 thing becomes a problem is when you take a camera whose native ISO is 200 and lower it to 100, because the camera has to perform additional functions to get that to work and it can affect image quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug
I found the answer. Nothing to see here.

ConspicuousEvil fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 11, 2009