Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That's odd, I thought that the first (and redundantly titled) Divine Divinity was the better game. And it's the cheaper?

If I play any CRPG anytime soon, it'll be Morrowind, but there's a definite appeal to Divine Divinity's old school look. And I hear it's huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Stabbey the Clown has an ongoing LP of Divine Divinity if you want to take a look.

And the pricing thing is, I guess, purely on the old=cheap; new=notcheap scale of thinking.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

From GOG's Twitter:

"Some great announcements coming up on the site in the next few weeks/months! This press release I'm writing now... drool."

I hope with all my heart that this is related to the rumored Planescape: Torment rerelease.

I hate when they do that. I hate it as much as countdowns to announcements.

But if they re-release Planescape (and IWD and BG) i'll forgive them.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
So is Divine Divinity basically a 2D Morrowind, with a little more Diablo-like action thrown in? While I never finished Morrowind's main story, I played the poo poo out of it over several years, so I'm wondering if DD would be a similarly great experience.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Bonus content today:

"Free stuff for games that are in the catalogue for some time now are always welcome, right? With this update of additional materials we have some nice bonus content for Heroes of Might and Magic series fans - the first installment receives an ingame soundtrack while HoMM 2 and HoMM 3 get creature tables. But that's not all! We've managed to get our hands on full Gothic 2 soundtrack, so we're updating our existing file with 6 new tracks! The additional materials are available, after you purchase the games, on the “My Account” page."

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Majesco has joined GOG and Psychonauts and Advent Rising are now available for $9.99 and $5.99 respectively.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Also, Bloodrayne 1 and 2 are coming soon. :lol:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FLX posted:

So is Divine Divinity basically a 2D Morrowind, with a little more Diablo-like action thrown in? While I never finished Morrowind's main story, I played the poo poo out of it over several years, so I'm wondering if DD would be a similarly great experience.

It's not as deep as Morrowind, but it does have some depth to it. Almost all of the quests are interesting and require some exploration to solve, there are very very few fetch quests or "kill X monsters" quests. NPC's tend to have a lot more character to them then you'd expect.

Combat is basically like Diablo 2, with some small differences - you can pause at any time, your choice of skills is independent of your class (you can choose any skills), and there are no casting delays or cooldowns on skills/spells.

The toughest thing to deal with in Divine Divinity is slogging through the opening dungeon until you reach the open part of the world.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see when Beyond Divinity comes out, as I never played that.

(Thanks for the link, kingturnip.)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

OptimusShr posted:

Majesco has joined GOG and Psychonauts and Advent Rising are now available for $9.99 and $5.99 respectively.

Psychonauts bought like a motherfucker.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
what's Advent Rising like? I know it's part of a failed trilogy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Honest Thief posted:

it's kind of fun when you get completely broken mass effect-like powers, but it's a pretty bland shooter otherwise

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

So I'm about done with Gothic 2. Are there any other rpgs on GOG of similar quality, besides the Fallouts and Gothic 1? Oh, and is Gothic 3 worth the ten bucks I can get it for at Gamestop?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Divine Divinity, it's not exactly like Gothic, but it's an incredibly fun RPG.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

RandolphCarter posted:

So I'm about done with Gothic 2. Are there any other rpgs on GOG of similar quality, besides the Fallouts and Gothic 1? Oh, and is Gothic 3 worth the ten bucks I can get it for at Gamestop?

The Might and Magic series is pretty good - not really Fallout quality but they're fun and have a lot of content.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

RandolphCarter posted:

Do not get Gothic 3. There's a new game called Risen that's very similar to Gothic 1, but if your PC can handle it I can tell you Dragon Age Origins is the best RPG I've played since Neverwinter Nights.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah my comp can't even handle Risen. Looks like it's Divine Divinity for me. Thanks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

I found it enjoyable when it wasn't crashing or getting stuck in walls. The plot is kind of unique because it's established that humanity is a rare race and were once gods until they were hunted to near extinction. Midway through the game you develop some crazy broken god-like powers like limited teleportation and the game gets pretty fun with crazy battles involving dozens of aliens onscreen.

There's tons of potential for it to actually be a good game but... man, Majesco. I don't understand how they're still in business. Those guys are poison. Ironically, I don't think Psychonauts would have ended up on nearly every digital business model if it was published under any other company.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I thought Advent Rising was pretty fun for what I've played of it, but then again, I'm a sucker for practically any game with telekinesis in it.

Which reminds me, GoG needs Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. I'd buy that poo poo up in a second.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Charles Martel posted:

I thought Advent Rising was pretty fun for what I've played of it, but then again, I'm a sucker for practically any game with telekinesis in it.

Which reminds me, GoG needs Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. I'd buy that poo poo up in a second.

There was a free, ad-supported one released some time ago. It's disappeared from FileFront but is still up on some places like Ausgamers last I checked.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: 30% off the "Lord Of..." series.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Blodskur posted:

Weekend promo: 30% off the "Lord Of..." series.

Anyone play this? How is it?

jobroskie
Mar 3, 2008

Am I pretty yet mommy?
psychonauts......how does this site find new ways for me to spend....

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I'm debating picking them up but this is definitely a case of Old Games rather than Good Games, and I'd be hard pressed to really recommend them. They aren't bad or anything (nor great), but better games have been made and they don't have any real unique draw IIRC.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Lords of the Realm 3 was pretty bad, but the first two are good. Never played Lords of Magic, though.

Of course, I might be a little biased. I've played the first two games since I was like 9, so there's a big nostalgia factor for me.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Lords of the Realm 2 was definitely the best. It's a medieval Risk, with real time sieges.
Once you get it most of the game is spent managing between being a dick to your peasants and feeding them beer to get them to stop leaving. :)

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jabarto posted:

Lords of the Realm 3 was pretty bad, but the first two are good. Never played Lords of Magic, though.
I would say that LotR 2 was decent or good for its time (battle AI was awful though), but it has aged pretty badly. Lords of Magic is a fun game, not very deep but enjoyable to play, but you're not missing out if you are skipping it.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Sanitarium is now on GOG for $9.99.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
holy crap, they managed to get Sanitarium, best digital disbritution service ever

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

holy crap, they managed to get Sanitarium, best digital disbritution service ever

Seriously they have the Fallouts, the Descents, the MDKs, they even have old horror adventure games and Psychonauts now. And you know they're gunning for Planescape once they can.

GoG is the best.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Oh wow, I remember Sanitarium. That game was freaky as hell, once in awhile I would think about it but no one else that I knew had ever heard of the game! Heh, hopefully some people will check it out, it's definitely one hell of an adventure.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Always wanted to play Sanitarium. In fact, was just thinking a week or so ago that they should pick it up. Awesome. :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Uh, I remember buying Sanitarium back then, even though I wanted to buy Rainbow Six. I have no idea why I did it, but it was a fun, classic adventure game that unfortunately crashed a lot and frustrated me at some point somehow. I did finish it like two years later after glancing over it on my shelf.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Someone on SA actually did a really awesome LP of Sanitarium. Its worth reading the whole thread because one of the guys that developed it turns up and starts answering questions and dispensing interesting trivia. Should be up on the LP archive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aventine posted:

Someone on SA actually did a really awesome LP of Sanitarium. Its worth reading the whole thread because one of the guys that developed it turns up and starts answering questions and dispensing interesting trivia. Should be up on the LP archive.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Sanitarium/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sanitarium! I remember this game from an old Eidos demo disk that came with Omikron or Thief 2.

Browsing GOG sometimes is like browsing CompUSA back when I had a 100 Mhz Pentium, looking for $10 Gold Box bargains. You never knew what arcane old stuff you would find (or whether it would run). EA has got to unsquinch its little rear end in a top hat someday and let some of those old EA, Origin, and Eidos titles out of the vault.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Sanitarium! I remember this game from an old Eidos demo disk that came with Omikron or Thief 2.

Browsing GOG sometimes is like browsing CompUSA back when I had a 100 Mhz Pentium, looking for $10 Gold Box bargains. You never knew what arcane old stuff you would find (or whether it would run). EA has got to unsquinch its little rear end in a top hat someday and let some of those old EA, Origin, and Eidos titles out of the vault.

Eidos is Square-Enix, not EA.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I stand corrected, but I still want my old games, dammit. I can't get Thief 2 to run properly on my current system, and would gladly pay again for a GOG version that worked.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

Seriously they have the Fallouts, the Descents, the MDKs, they even have old horror adventure games and Psychonauts now. And you know they're gunning for Planescape once they can.

I want a full complete pack for Baldur's Gate personally.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Mokinokaro posted:

I want a full complete pack for Baldur's Gate personally.

Not sure about other countries (Netherlands here), but I bought all the Baldur's Gate games (so the first and the second, and all expansions) for 10 Euros.

Here's a link to a site that sells it for way too much, but at least you can search your webshops for it - Link.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The nice thing about BG is that there are plenty of mods to add poo poo like higher res support, widescreen support, etc.