Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Like everyone else said, cabling looks much harder than it really is. The most difficult thing is reading the patterns (I always gently caress that up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Cables are so, so, so easy. Like every other knitting technique, people on Ravelry go on about how impossible it is until you're totally psyched out. But if you actually try it, once you get the hang of it, it's not difficult at all.

I think Sex Hobbit's cables look great partly because of the yarn's stitch definition, which is really important for cables.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

zamiel posted:

How hard was that to pick up? I haven't queued up any patterns with cabling yet but I love the look of it but it looks kinda scary.

I started my first-ever cable project a couple weeks ago--a pair of fingerless mitts (also my first gloves/mitts). It's more than the basic standard cable, they go a little crazy, but it looks awesome. I've found it to be far easier than I thought it would be! My only problems are (a) remembering whether or not I did a "knit in pattern" round between cable stitch rounds (although it's not too hard to remember), and (b) not forgetting the purl stitches when I cross over (I'll knit them instead, and then realize a couple rounds later that I converted a couple purl stitches into knit stitches). I haven't needed to go back too many times to fix mistakes, and one you get the hang of the look of the cables, it's easy to catch mistakes. Oh, and sometimes I hold the yarn too tight so I get a couple of strained looking cable stitches, but I can usually tug around that round and get them to look better.

My point is they aren't as hard as they look, generally.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Right. That particular pattern is the Irish Hiking Scarf, which is a fantastic first cable pattern. All you do is slip three stitches to the cable needle, knit the next three on the left needle, then knit the three stitches off the cable needle.

And yes, the yarn I used is Filtes King Extra Merino, if you look at the Rav comments people rave about how well it shows off cables. Stay away from fuzzy and/or variegated yarns, you won't be able to see poo poo.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 26, 2009

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Cables are so, so, so easy. Like every other knitting technique, people on Ravelry go on about how impossible it is until you're totally psyched out. But if you actually try it, once you get the hang of it, it's not difficult at all.

I think Sex Hobbit's cables look great partly because of the yarn's stitch definition, which is really important for cables.

Yeah, nthing that cabling is really easy. There's really only one thing difficult about cables and that's not doing them but taking them out when you make a mistake and have to go back. Even using the cable needle to pull out stitches it's really, really easy to mess up and drop stitches. And rescuing dropped stitches in a cable is a giant pain in the butt.

Other than that, they're totally simple--honestly I think increases and decreases are more tricky to get a handle on.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.
So my friend bought me a blue and white yarn to make her a hat and it was pooling horribly. Allow me to introduce CLOUDHAT:

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

hollaback grandma posted:

So my friend bought me a blue and white yarn to make her a hat and it was pooling horribly. Allow me to introduce CLOUDHAT:

Totally just sprung a girlboner for that hat.

I love the texture and color working together and the bird silhouettes are adorable.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

That is a great idea. Seconding the girlboner.

What pattern did you use?

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Thanks for the reassurance on cables! It probably won't be a bit until I get a chance to try, but it looks really intense to say the least.

And yes, must know pattern on that hat. Super cute with the birds added!

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Aardvarklet posted:

That is a great idea. Seconding the girlboner.

What pattern did you use?

Second pattern down!

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Second pattern down!

Nice! Those arm warmers are bad as gently caress too.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I'm in need of a remedy for tight/sore wrists whilst knitting. Some nights aren't as bad as others, but I've been on a marathon run of knitting up some rectangles to donate to theHandmade Afghan Project. Only a few more to go by Thursday before I start on some Christmas projects! I've seen some thin gloves at JoAnn's like these, but has anyone tried them or can anyone confirm that they actually help?

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009
hollaback grandma that's an awesome hat :) also, I am really excited about trying out cables now! Now that I've worked out how images work, here's my meagre contribution to the thread...

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img214/3521/dsc00078ali.jpg

edit: well that totally didn't work. guess I don't have it figured out :/

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Knitting/purling into the stitch below! :argh:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Windy posted:

I'm in need of a remedy for tight/sore wrists whilst knitting.

Get a powerball. They relieve tension in your hands, wrists and lower arm and can help build small muscles that improve grip and just generally help out with tasks of a dexterous nature.

http://www.powerballs.com/

I use one because I type all day (I work in data entry) and then come home and want to do other hand intensive things like knit, embroider, type some more, play video games etc. Seriously, 2-7 mins a day with one of these at a slow, soothing speed will work wonders.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

Get a powerball. They relieve tension in your hands, wrists and lower arm and can help build small muscles that improve grip and just generally help out with tasks of a dexterous nature.

http://www.powerballs.com/

I use one because I type all day (I work in data entry) and then come home and want to do other hand intensive things like knit, embroider, type some more, play video games etc. Seriously, 2-7 mins a day with one of these at a slow, soothing speed will work wonders.

Thanks, I'm gonna pick one up this weekend. Ten years of data entry ruined me, so like you I want to do my crafty stuff, typing and video games and usually just push through the pain. I'd rather play with a ball than wear silly old lady knitting gloves just yet!

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Speaking of video games, I came across this just now: Kniittiing. It's a... knitting video game? I dunno, here's some video of it.

Obviously, the point's not to help anyone learn how to knit, but it is interesting in a "I like knitting and I like video games" kinda way. I guess. Maybe.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Z Is Overrated posted:

Speaking of video games, I came across this just now: Kniittiing. It's a... knitting video game? I dunno, here's some video of it.

Obviously, the point's not to help anyone learn how to knit, but it is interesting in a "I like knitting and I like video games" kinda way. I guess. Maybe.

All of the frustration and none of the end product! Seriously, what the hell. The beginning of that video reminds me of learning to hold and maneuver the needles in real life though, so I guess it's successful in that regard.

Still...weird.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

Windy posted:

[/url]. Only a few more to go by Thursday before I start on some Christmas projects! I've seen some thin gloves at JoAnn's like these, but has anyone tried them or can anyone confirm that they actually help?

I wear these when I knit, but I have always had some silly wrist, and last year they really started to hurt if I knitted for more than about 15 minutes straight. They help me by keeping my hands lined up properly, I think.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've got a question regarding knitting gifts for other people. I'm a compulsive gifter, and seeing as I got a job at a yarn store with a sweet discount, I'd really like to knit a bunch of my friends some small things for the holidays, mostly hats, gloves, that type of thing. So my question is, provided I want to keep these gifts a surprise, how should I go about sizing the garments that actually need to fit? I suppose I could tell them I was doing a phrenology study (and seeing as most of us are in anthropology they might buy it), but are there any other ideas to subversively measure someone?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Drei posted:

I've got a question regarding knitting gifts for other people. I'm a compulsive gifter, and seeing as I got a job at a yarn store with a sweet discount, I'd really like to knit a bunch of my friends some small things for the holidays, mostly hats, gloves, that type of thing. So my question is, provided I want to keep these gifts a surprise, how should I go about sizing the garments that actually need to fit? I suppose I could tell them I was doing a phrenology study (and seeing as most of us are in anthropology they might buy it), but are there any other ideas to subversively measure someone?
I just know that the lenght of the foot from toes to heel is the same as the length of the forearm from the inside of the elbow to the hand. (Come on, try it!) ;)

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
Well, I'll be darned. How weird is that?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Drei posted:

are there any other ideas to subversively measure someone?

"You'll grow in to it" is the best phrase invented by knitters ever. I say this as I embark on a journey to see my 32inch bust friend with a massive 36inch cardigan.

"It's supposed to be that baggy"
"You'll grow into it"
"It'll probably shrink in the wash"
"That shape is very in this year"

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
If something doesn't fit, you can always do some creative blocking after the fact.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Drei posted:

While visiting my parents I "borrowed" one of my dad's sweaters to compare it with the one I was knitting for him. I also once took measurements of my girlfriend's socks while she was in the shower. Both times worked out as I was able to obtain their measurements without their knowledge.

A slightly less creepy approach would be to obtain clothes you want to knit, say that you want to give them to a friend of roughly the same size as your "mark" and you want them to try it on as a comparison. Of course this has a higher risk of them figuring out what you're up to.

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*~* I AM NOT A SLAVE! TO A BREED!! THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!! THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE, THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE
~*~*~*~*~*~*
I just got two skeins of this yarn for some mittens, and I'm having the same problem I always seem to have with this style of Merino yarns. I wind a center-pull ball by hand and once I start knitting, the yarn gets all twisty and tight and so awful that I have to hold up the ball and let it spin out the tight twists in the yarn. This gets really annoying really quickly when you have to do it every 20 stitches or so.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the way I'm winding the ball? It only happens with this specific type of yarn.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

awapplesauce posted:

I just got two skeins of this yarn for some mittens, and I'm having the same problem I always seem to have with this style of Merino yarns. I wind a center-pull ball by hand and once I start knitting, the yarn gets all twisty and tight and so awful that I have to hold up the ball and let it spin out the tight twists in the yarn. This gets really annoying really quickly when you have to do it every 20 stitches or so.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the way I'm winding the ball? It only happens with this specific type of yarn.

YES! I had two skeins that did that, and on the third skein of the same yarn I made a center-pull ball using a toilet paper tube and it definitely helped.

EDIT: It was also Berroco (ultra alpaca).

Twatty Seahag fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 31, 2009

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*~* I AM NOT A SLAVE! TO A BREED!! THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!! THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE, THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE
~*~*~*~*~*~*

Twatty Seahag posted:

YES! I had two skeins that did that, and on the third skein of the same yarn I made a center-pull ball using a toilet paper tube and it definitely helped.

EDIT: It was also Berroco (ultra alpaca).

Oh good, I'm not just crazy! Did you just use the TP tube as the center instead of winding it around your thumb?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
My best friend loved her oversized cardigan and brought me a pair of mouthwatering wooded Brittany needles to say thank you!

Here she is looking lovely against the backdrop of the Irish sea. The pattern was a Freedom Spirit by Twileys one, but I used Rustica instead because it was easier to care for. My first cardigan :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Hi! I'm a seasonal knitter. I have no desire to do it when it's warm out. It's getting cooler, so it's knitting time again!

I guess I'm sort of an advanced beginner. I try to learn something new with each new little project I undertake, but I'm not really interested in sweaters or socks and what I most enjoy are just nice yarns and stitch patterns, so there are lots of things I haven't made myself learn yet. I also have a strange aversion to patterns and usually just make things up based on general principles gleaned from books...

pictures!

These are the first fingerless gloves I made. I had to redo the thumb part a couple of times to keep it from having big holes in it, and even then I kind of fixed a couple of holes with stitching. I didn't have a pattern but used this awesome "Progressive Gloves" free PDF my sister linked me to (http://www.interweaveknits.com/freepatterns/pdf/Progressive_Gloves.pdf. What I learned here: making thumb gussets. Sorf of.

Anyway, I followed them up with these, which I like better because they're longer, softer, and I used a different cast-off that isn't as tight. What I learned: Fair Isle with yarn in each hand. The thumb gussets are still really messy.

This is a simple scarf, seed stitch on big needles, made with expensive-but-awesome slubby wool from Schaefer Yarns.

Another scarf with some cotton from Schaefer Yarns. The pattern is from a book called Knitting New Scarves. It was really easy to make! What I learned: short row knitting.

Finally for now, a wee hat and baby mitties for my upcoming nephew. What I learned: that I have no idea what size baby heads and hands are.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

What stitch is this. Its not seed, i thought so at first. Maybe a more experienced knitter could help me out. The edges kind of wrap inward on itself leaving a perfectly smooth border. Im trying to knit bracelets but mine arent coming out this nice.

thanks

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
How stretchy is it? Looks kinda like a linen stitch, but that is a very NON-stretchy stitch.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

teknicolor posted:

How stretchy is it? Looks kinda like a linen stitch, but that is a very NON-stretchy stitch.

it is very very non stretchy. lemme check it out now, thats one thing i loved about this bracelet its like a thick slab of yarn. barely feels knitted at all

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
wasn't a linen stitch. one sec il upload a picture of the edge. It is a really stiff stitch though,

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Update. Ok my mind is thoroughly blown. Apparently this isnt knitting at all. But some kind of crazy yarn weaving thing called friendship bracelets.

http://www.friendship-bracelets.net/index.php,

Seems way to intense for me right now, but im going to try to pick it up. Il post if i create anything worth posting. Anyone else tried these?

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
Haha. I guess these aren't as popular as when I was a wee lass in school.

Back in the day *everyone* made these. They are super easy. It's just tying square knots over and over, really. We'd safety pin the one we were working to on the thigh of our pants so you could be secretly tying knots under your desk. You'd wear a few dozen on your wrists and always have a work in progress on your safety pin. They were fun!

It's just embroidery floss, which is super cheap. Now they make them out of hemp, too. Klutz has a nice book on them with some starting materials. You can add beads, too, though that's more common with the hemp ones. I know WalMart usually has some cute hemp kits out.

They can get really intricate and hard. I have fond memories of making them though.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I used to make those all the time too when I was in junior high/high school (but nothing quite that complicated). I still have a ton of embroidery floss somewhere from when I used to make them.

On the topic of knitting, my mom gave me her copy of Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework (the 1980 version), and I couldn't be happier. It's basically an encyclopedia of all things crafty, and there are pages upon pages of different knitting stitches and techniques that I've never seen before, including tons of lace-type stitches (something I've never tried before but would love to). I'm still pretty much a novice at knitting (though I'm getting better with every project), but I'm putting the book to good use :)

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Ma_NiC posted:

I've never tried before but would love to).

Just tried my first "lace?" stitch. Turkish stitch, its very easy and a good way to get a lacy look without bring too involved. Im making a dro0py zelda like beanie in it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

philkop posted:

Update. Ok my mind is thoroughly blown. Apparently this isnt knitting at all. But some kind of crazy yarn weaving thing called friendship bracelets.

http://www.friendship-bracelets.net/index.php,

Seems way to intense for me right now, but im going to try to pick it up. Il post if i create anything worth posting. Anyone else tried these?

You don't know what a friendship bracelet is? :smith: Kids these days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Wandering Knitter posted:

You don't know what a friendship bracelet is? :smith: Kids these days...

Well im 19 and male, so when i was a youngin i was more into picking my nose and putting it on all the girls in the classroom who were fooling around with yarn ;D. But yeah these seem incredibly complex for a child fad.. These are like mind blowingly hard to me, still trying though.