Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

the letter b posted:

2. I think suzuki chose the wrong colour scheme for their marketing collateral

I sort of agree, although pastel colors can be really cool. Flat black panels and red frame would look excellent, so would yellow black or Gulf colors. Basically macho color schemes would look cool, but Suzuki wanted to pitch it to a younger, hip crowd. Problem is, they're eco hippies who ride fixed gear pedal bikes, they're not going to buy an atmosphere destroyer just because the colors are all zany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

huplescat posted:

That is extremely awesome :D Did you make the rack for it? It looks a bit like a modified roof rack or something?

EDIT: I wonder if my pushy would fit on the gear sack rack....

I found the bike rack and custom welded mounting rack on SVRider for 200 shipped last week. Off the shelf bike rack components attached to a tig-welded stainless frame. The bike stuff can be removed from the frame to use it for other stuff to. Deal was amazing since nothing quite like it exists, and it is super strong for carrying other stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

ari.gato posted:

You do?

not to prolong this, but yeah. I think it looks sharp. It's a similar design to the honda. I get that they're different and that you can prefer one or the other, I just don't get the part where you love one and think the other is a travesty.

Edit: reviewing the color scheme part, yeah, I guess when I look at bikes I don't see the paint job, since you can pick colors you like and make anything look cool (see the gulf oil pics in the AI thread). I've sat on one at a dealership and thought it was a cool bike. I ended up with something else, but I'd considered buying one. I'd also consider the honda. It's just not a clear cut thing, like, say, the understandable dislike for the victory designs--they're extreme, and I could see someone hating that much more than something else.

On the other hand, I might be from mars because I think the classic magnas are uglier than sin.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 30, 2009

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
OK back to picture spam

My '04 Yamaha XVS650A

Looks like a perfect Harley copy but doesn't sound like it. I will buy myself Jardines slip-ons as a christmas present to myself to remedy this.

Myself and Here4DaGangBang went for a ride today.

My bike is 650cc and learner legal in NSW. It's been a month since I bought it and I'm still grinning at this fact.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's the learner displacement limit usually? 500cc on something like a sport bike?

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Some states simply say "250cc max" but then there are some absolutely nuts 2-smoke models out there, so they changed it to the moderated system (called LAMS) that can go up to 660cc.

The limit is 150 kilowatts per tonne (182 hp per ton) calculated as wet weight, and is rumoured to include a 70kg rider.

The full list of approved models is here:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html

Jaz fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 2, 2009

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

Jaz posted:

My '04 Yamaha XVS650A

Nice, I went for a ride with 2 of them on Saturday :) Even with the stock exhausts they still sound great.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
Nice pics Jaz, now we need to get all the dam Sydney riders together for a big ride and photoshoot.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Jaz has helpfully saved me the trouble of posting any pics of my own to show off my bike, which as previously mentioned I bought from Smirk a week ago. Put a couple of hundred kms on it yesterday which was fun, but my body needs some time to adjust as I was sore as gently caress at the end of that. My legs and back ached, my pants had started rubbing my sweaty knees to the point that they felt like they had severe sunburn, a couple of my knuckles hurt where the gloves rubbed them, I have discovered my HJC helmet actually doesn't fit my head right, and I have a really loving sore spot on my forehead as a result.

Still a good ride though, took in some nice scenery along the way and got some experience. :)

Haikeeba!
Jan 15, 2007

Thank you Mrs Peel, the money is on the dresser.

DiZ posted:

Nice pics Jaz, now we need to get all the dam Sydney riders together for a big ride and photoshoot.

Just set up one on facebook for Dural + Berowra Ferry + Old Pac + Wisemen's Ferry run.

Any other Sydgoon bikers who aren't in the group - PM me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jaz posted:

OK back to picture spam

My '04 Yamaha XVS650A

Oh man, the red and black is loving beautiful.

Mr.Bucket
Feb 7, 2006

Watch out! The balls pop out of his mouth!

Click here for the full 1024x666 image.

My '00 yz426f.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Haikeeba! posted:

Just set up one on facebook for Dural + Berowra Ferry + Old Pac + Wisemen's Ferry run.

Any other Sydgoon bikers who aren't in the group - PM me.

I've got my learners recently just haven't bought a bike yet.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Jaz posted:

My bike is 650cc and learner legal in NSW. It's been a month since I bought it and I'm still grinning at this fact.

When are you two getting mens bikes?

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005
So what about Melbourne riders? There must be one or 2 around and I'm always looking for more fun people to ride with, especially since my regular riding buddy broke his collar bone.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

Dubs posted:

When are you two getting mens bikes?

When are you actually going to attend a ride :P

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

huplescat posted:

So what about Melbourne riders? There must be one or 2 around and I'm always looking for more fun people to ride with, especially since my regular riding buddy broke his collar bone.

Myself and my better half ride, and live in Melbourne. Further to that, a buddy of mine just got on board his first bike, too!

We're a bit of a strange bunch with the following bikes between us:

1. VTR250
2. Gladius
3. Transalp
4. DRZ400 SM
5. Virago 250 :3:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Well, the motorcycle season is officially over in Sweden, but that means good times for great deals. Just bought this beauty from 1984!

More info.

I got the gear, I got the bike. All I need is a license :cop:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

the letter b posted:

Myself and my better half ride, and live in Melbourne. Further to that, a buddy of mine just got on board his first bike, too!

We're a bit of a strange bunch with the following bikes between us:

1. VTR250
2. Gladius
3. Transalp
4. DRZ400 SM
5. Virago 250 :3:

The Sydney goon riders are a motley bunch too - off the top of my head:

CB600F Hornet
GS500
V-Star 650
VTR250
Virago 250 :3:
A KLR (IIRC)

There are a couple of others I can't remember too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dietcokefiend posted:

What is that headlight?

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The Sydney goon riders are a motley bunch too - off the top of my head:

CB600F Hornet
GS500
V-Star 650
VTR250
Virago 250 :3:
A KLR (IIRC)

There are a couple of others I can't remember too.

You left out a second GS500, a ZR250, a GSX-250F, a DR650 and a CBR250RR. The list seems to grow every day. :dance:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And my Gix.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

dietcokefiend posted:

What is going on with that headlight?

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just scored a 91 BMW GS Paris Dakar. Problem is it is 5000+ miles away at my dads house in CT and I am in Alaska. My plan was to fly home next spring and ride it up here, but I found out today that work might be transferring me next summer. Either way wherever I go I'll get there in huge and incredibly overbuilt style.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

2003 GSXR600. Bought it used from craigslist (minus all the fairings) and fixed it up. I really want an 04/05 750 though as the 600 isn't cutting it for me.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
Oh god don't put your helmet on the seat like that. :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

N183CS posted:

I just scored a 91 BMW GS Paris Dakar. Problem is it is 5000+ miles away at my dads house in CT and I am in Alaska. My plan was to fly home next spring and ride it up here, but I found out today that work might be transferring me next summer. Either way wherever I go I'll get there in huge and incredibly overbuilt style.

That is seriously awesome!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

N183CS posted:

hell yes.
guy i know who owns a bmw shop has a bike just about like that and he says it's the best bike he's ever had.

TheMadSpaceMonkey
Aug 24, 2004

Mad.

Click here for the full 604x384 image.

First bike, got it two years ago after reading the 150+ page cycle megathread here. Haven't dropped it yet, but a few friends and strangers have toppled it with thier cars :(

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

Got off of my restriced license a few months ago and picked up my 2010 Street Triple R today, my mum is horrified :D

Keeping it under 4K for break in is pretty hard.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

N183CS posted:

Tell you what, if you decide you can't make it to CT anytime soon I'll go take that off your hands. That's about as modern as I'd ever consider going.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Whiteboy posted:

2003 GSXR600. Bought it used from craigslist (minus all the fairings) and fixed it up. I really want an 04/05 750 though as the 600 isn't cutting it for me.

Don't do it, guys. Don't take the bait.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
600's are lovely street bikes compared to 750/1000, there is no bait.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dubs posted:

600's are lovely street bikes compared to 750/1000, there is no bait.

Yup, that generation of GSX-R wasn't as bad as the generation before it for having no midrange, but still...600 I4s on the street, :barf:

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Don't do it, guys. Don't take the bait.

What's wrong with my bike :'(?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Whiteboy posted:

What's wrong with my bike :'(?

He was refering to the :argh: that you usually get when you a squid dumps a 600 for a 750/1000 because the 600 is "too slow".

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Z3n posted:

He was refering to the :argh: that you usually get when you a squid dumps a 600 for a 750/1000 because the 600 is "too slow".

THEYVE GONE TO PLAID!

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Z3n posted:

Guess I'm a squid because I'd rather have a nicer 750 then.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Whiteboy posted:

Guess I'm a squid because I'd rather have a nicer 750 then.

You're a danger to us all.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

Z3n posted:

I'm working on my brother to upgrade to a 1000 instead of a 600. He's been riding a Ducati Monster 600 for the last year and is looking at a Honda CBR600RR.

I think the CBR1000RR would be SO much better for him in terms of comfort as it's slightly longer (he's 6'2" or so) but also how much he'll get out of it riding it. Even the dealer agreed that he'd be unlikely to outgrow the 1000 any time soon.

I was gonna buy a 600 but went for a 750 instead, best decision ever :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

huplescat posted:

I'm working on my brother to upgrade to a 1000 instead of a 600. He's been riding a Ducati Monster 600 for the last year and is looking at a Honda CBR600RR.

I think the CBR1000RR would be SO much better for him in terms of comfort as it's slightly longer (he's 6'2" or so) but also how much he'll get out of it riding it. Even the dealer agreed that he'd be unlikely to outgrow the 1000 any time soon.

I was gonna buy a 600 but went for a 750 instead, best decision ever :D

I sat on a fairly new CBR600 at a dealer recently and I really liked the feel of it. I have never ridden a street bike, but I could definitely see myself on one, assuming I lived where there were more roads. I'm 5'7" and my BMW is tall enough to the point that I have to get off and push it backwards if I park at any sort of downhill angle.