Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

the walkin dude posted:

Ninja bambi

Glad you avoided it. I'm always worried about hitting them here riding at night. Even in town they're everywhere.

I think we need a "near crash" thread. I about bit it hardcore today going over some rough railroad tracks. Hand off the bar, rear end off the seat, front wheel squirrelly, no clue how I didn't go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Doctor Zero posted:

And that's why you let the cars go first to act as "sweepers."

Brilliant. I shall do this from now on.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Doctor Zero posted:

And that's why you let the cars go first to act as "sweepers."

yes/no

I find that I have much better deer visibility when I am riding at the front of the pack. I dont have an object blocking my line of sight, and less of a risk of a deer sprinting out behind a car and hitting myself in the process. That said I also have a fuckoff bright projector HID that makes deer's eyes glow like they are on fire, so I may be biased.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

the walkin dude posted:

Brilliant. I shall do this from now on.

I used that tactic earlier this year and I don't know how much it helped, but it mostly just staved off the paranoid loneliness of a late night ride heading home on the interstate. There always is the possibility of a deer flipping out and jumping between the car ahead and you, but from my experience, I think the deer is more likely to be in front of the car because it's trying to cross the road as it sees the lights illuminating the road. It's all just a matter of timing and luck at that point. Deer can be quick when they want to.

e: my plan for the future is to just not ride at night at this time of year, i'm just way too spooked about it now

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Glad you avoided it. I'm always worried about hitting them here riding at night. Even in town they're everywhere.

I think we need a "near crash" thread. I about bit it hardcore today going over some rough railroad tracks. Hand off the bar, rear end off the seat, front wheel squirrelly, no clue how I didn't go down.

Speaking of near-crashes, almost ended up in the rear end end of a Suburban that decided to stop suddently today. Reflexively grabbed a handful of brake, heard the telltale sound of a locked brake, which made my brain snap to attention and fortunately there was no car next to me and I could swerve and avoid the fucker. Man that sucked.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Sepist posted:

To the guy who crushed his nads on his tank, sup fellow tank crusher

http://sepwich.com/sep/bike/100_0441.JPG

This was back in 07, luckily it wasn't a full on blow to the balls but still hurt like a bitch.
Ouch, yeah, not a plesant experience.

Also, I'm really thankful that I don't have to deal with deer here. Glad it didn't nail you.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

redscare posted:

Speaking of near-crashes, almost ended up in the rear end end of a Suburban that decided to stop suddently today. Reflexively grabbed a handful of brake, heard the telltale sound of a locked brake, which made my brain snap to attention and fortunately there was no car next to me and I could swerve and avoid the fucker. Man that sucked.

You are either following too closely or not paying enough attention. Easy way to get yourself killed.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

EDIT: Moved the the almost crashed thread.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 25, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Zool posted:

You are either following too closely or not paying enough attention. Easy way to get yourself killed.

Yeah I was riding overly aggressively because traffic was completely poo poo thanks to the USC game and I was impatient. Wasn't smart at all.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

Yeah I was riding overly aggressively because traffic was completely poo poo thanks to the USC game and I was impatient. Wasn't smart at all.

Laaaaaaane splitting :)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Yeah, exactly.

Speaking of, apparently Brad Pitt hosed it up, clipped a parked car's mirror, and dropped his bike the other day.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

redscare posted:

Yeah, exactly.

Speaking of, apparently Brad Pitt hosed it up, clipped a parked car's mirror, and dropped his bike the other day.

Haha, how dare you not post a link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1223085/Brad-Pitt-knocked-motorbike-Hollywood-crash.html

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Boy I wish I had people so concerned with everything I do that I could guarantee that if I dopped my bike I'd have people swarming to find out my condition. :jerkbag: Paparazzi :jerkbag:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

I think he's wearing sunglasses under an already tinted visor

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

UserNotFound posted:

Boy I wish I had people so concerned with everything I do that I could guarantee that if I dopped my bike I'd have people swarming to find out my condition. :jerkbag: Paparazzi :jerkbag:

Imagine this for everything every day for years. EVERYTHING!

rifles posted:

I think he's wearing sunglasses under an already tinted visor

He looks like the rocketeer.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Oh poo poo, the TMZ (I don't read the site actively, just saw it linked) story I saw mentioned nothing about him getting buzzed by a paparazzo. That's hosed up.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Tsaven Nava posted:

Lane splitting looks like a great way to get sandwiched between two SUVs here in Austin, especially when they are full of idiotic FOOOTBAWL fans.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Raven457 posted:

Lane splitting looks like a great way to get sandwiched between two SUVs here in Austin, especially when they are full of idiotic FOOOTBAWL fans.

Are you implying something negative about the great state of Texas or the great sport of foootbawl?! :911:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Are you implying something negative about the great state of Texas or the great sport of foootbawl?! :911:

Both... lol

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Raven457 posted:

Eh, you end up with a pretty decent sixth sense about who's going to do something dumb, and who you can buzz past.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tsaven Nava posted:

Eh, you end up with a pretty decent sixth sense about who's going to do something dumb, and who you can buzz past.

most of survival on a motorcycle is either moving too fast to accidentally hit, or too slowly to surprise, and knowing when to switch between those modes.

At least in texas the drivers are aggressive enough that they don't just dick around with their head up their rear end at randomly fluctuating speeds. You just have to count on them to run you over if you're in the way--which is way better than seattle drivers, who you can't be sure of, no matter what they're doing.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
According to the article Pitt also put wrong fuel in his bike :D

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Didn't actually participate in the crash, just a witness. Click on any of the images to expand their size.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...9,0.013808&z=17

At around 2:50PM Pacific Standard Time today a grey SV650-S, pre 2003, smashed into the side of a car. The rider went flying across the intersection.

Pictures before moving the vehicles. Drivers just going around it.

The rider. He was moving all his limbs. Considering he flew across the intersection, he could have easily been paralyzed or worse. Tennis shoes, jeans, sweatshirt, music player, gloves and helmet were all he was wearing. He's fine and maybe has some bone injury, but he'll be riding again if he's not scared off by the crash.

The other driver. Those aren't blood stains on her pants, just some design.

The vehicles

From what I heard of witnesses, the SV650 was going southbound and the woman in the car was going northbound. She made a left turn in front of the rider when they both had green lights (left turners are supposed to yield). This is further supported by her saying "I didn't see him".

Guy in orange was the witness who said he saw the whole thing. The other man holding the sign helped move the bike out of the intersection. I almost slipped and fell on the fork oil that covered the ground though.

Golden Gate Cycles, a dealership, is only 4 blocks away from where this accident happened.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 30, 2009

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
I feel like every time I ride down van ness, someone squeezes through on a left hand turn and makes the oncoming traffic slam on their brakes. I've always been super paranoid on that road, and I guess this justifies my spidey-sense.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
All of downtown SF is one huge clusterfuck of waiting for people to left turn you. So much visual clutter, it's difficult to pick out a bike in the best of times, and most drivers honestly just suck.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

All of downtown SF is one huge clusterfuck of waiting for people to left turn you. So much visual clutter, it's difficult to pick out a bike in the best of times, and most drivers honestly just suck.

The core of Los Angeles is the same way :smith:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

The witness that saw the whole thing said the motorcycle and the car were the only vehicles in the intersection at the time of the accident.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jack the Smack posted:

The witness that saw the whole thing said the motorcycle and the car were the only vehicles in the intersection at the time of the accident.

Yeah, visual clutter referring to all of the general crap that you see in a downtown area. Signs, people/cars moving around down the road, etc. Basically, anything that can distract the eye from a motorcyclist. Standing out from that visual clutter is why poo poo like headlight modulators, bright orange vests, etc. are effective at preventing people from turning in front of you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dear Cycle Asylum,

I never thought it would happen to me, but I had an accident today. I was on my way home from some errands, about three blocks away when a girl made a left turn in front of me. I was following another car that made a right onto the street she was coming from, so she didn't see me. I was going *maybe* 30 mph, locked the brakes, and went down on the left side. An off-duty firefighter happened to be around the corner and saw me go down and came over to help out. The helmet took a hit to the chin, and the jacket looks okay. Jeans were, naturally, run right through. Ambulance took me to the hospital and I may have not one, but two fractured elbows. The couldn't tell on the x-ray, but there's a bunch of fluid which is bad, so they splinted both of them. I have to follow up with an orthopedist to get it checked out.

I haven't seen the bike, but the cop says it looked fine and the slider took most of it. The girl was more freaked out than I was.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Endless Mike posted:

not one, but two fractured elbows.

Heal up fast. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saw the bike, and it's not bad at all. The shifter broke, unsurprisingly, and the gauges got wacked out of shape, but the rest is all cosmetic, and not even too major.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
I went down on Sunday afternoon. I was riding my friend's '99 Honda Valkyrie. Injuries are negligible though I'm in a small amount of pain where I landed on my hip. Other than that it's just stiffness and some rashing on my knees.

The accident occurred heading south on Mulholland Highway through the Malibu hills. The image doesn't really do it justice, but this is a straightaway coming out of a banked sweeper into a descending S-curve. Nothing ridiculous, but fairly technical.

So what went wrong? There are a few factors:

1) New rear-tire on the bike. It had been put on that morning and had about fifty miles on it. I was going slow to compensate, but it had slipped a bit on me in one of the prior turns.

2) Unfamiliar bike. Again, going easy to compensate, but it was my first time on the Valk.

3) Water from someone's yard had run across the street at about the red mark. This was followed almost immediately by loose gravel (there was a lot of it up there).

I entered the S-turn at around 25mph, slipped the rear wheel in the water, lost it in the gravel, and went into a low-side ending at the green mark. I'm not sure what I could have done differently, but am open to suggestions.

As I said, my injuries were minor. The gear did it's job and I came out pretty good. I did get a lot of grinding on the helmet and have no doubt I'd be dead without it. I was wearing a PowerTrip Black Diamond jacket, Triumph's short gloves, a Scorpion EXO-700 and jeans. If I'd had proper riding pants I think I'd be injury free.

The bike didn't get too beat up. The windshield is toast, the light bar is proll'y toast, I snapped a highway peg, and some of the chrome bits will need to be replaced.

By far the worst parts of this are the social element. The bike belongs to a friend (who's also my boss), and with two accidents in under a year my wife isn't exactly thrilled up about bikes right now.

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 2, 2009

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006

OrangeFurious posted:

The accident occurred heading south on Mulholland Highway through the Malibu hills. The image doesn't really do it justice, but this is a straightaway coming out of a banked sweeper into a descending S-curve. Nothing ridiculous, but fairly technical.

3) Water from someone's yard had run across the street at about the red mark. This was followed almost immediately by loose gravel (there was a lot of it up there).

There is almost always water that runs across Decker there. It is bad enough to have white washed the road there. Glad that nothing major happend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Suck, the only thing to really do in a situation like that is slow down and go through as upright as possible. Glad you're ok, good luck on the social side of things :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm seeing the orthopaedist tomorrow, and I've got pretty high hopes. My left elbow already feels perfectly fine, and the right one only has some minor pain when I try to extend it too far. My major problem is that my left hand is still pretty swollen, although that's been going down the past two days.

Note to self: Don't brace with hands! (I knew this already.)

Other good news: I spoke with USAA (the girl's insurance) and they seemed prepared to pay for all of my costs, so I'm going to get an estimate on the damage rather than do it myself.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Endless Mike posted:

Note to self: Don't brace with hands! (I knew this already.)

I snapped my arm in half right below the shoulder last time I failed to get over a log while mountain biking. Stupidly slow fall, and BOOM. I don't know how you'd remember NOT to put your arms out in that .3 seconds from collision to hitting the ground...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

If you have to remember, then you aren't going to be able to. If you take a martial art, you have to do a lot of falls in a controlled environment with padding to train your muscles to react differently so you can fall without hurting yourself.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Doctor Zero posted:

If you have to remember, then you aren't going to be able to. If you take a martial art, you have to do a lot of falls in a controlled environment with padding to train your muscles to react differently so you can fall without hurting yourself.

Right. If you want to ride a ninja, you have to be a ninja.

also, nature's airbag is the best protection:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
OH GOD MY EYES.

Srsly, I've pretty much settled on a Ninja 500 as my next bike, but I think that just turned me off to them forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
is the color? they also come in green.

• Locked thread