Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ColeM posted:

No he lit the flash paper, it just blew up in his face and not Warrior's.

It's admittedly been a loooong time since I saw it, but I swear I remember him having to do it twice, because the first time he failed to light it and just threw the paper, and then the second time it blew up in his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CarlCX posted:

It's admittedly been a loooong time since I saw it, but I swear I remember him having to do it twice, because the first time he failed to light it and just threw the paper, and then the second time it blew up in his face.

Haha what the Christ, is Hogan The Monarch or something?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I was watching a match involving the Motor City Machineguns from an impact that was a couple weeks old I think and I noticed one of them took a fall pretty hard and immediately starting pulling his kneepad off frantically.

I remember watching another episode of the show where another guy had done something similar - is this for effect to sell the fall or is this a legitimate signal that they've injured themselves?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Haha what the Christ, is Hogan The Monarch or something?

Hogan wishes he was that cool.

Found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5RS8PwkkO8

The flashpaper spot starts at about 7:00 and the big throws come at 7:24ish.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Has the Undertaker ever been involved in a comedy match?

Or at least, an intentional comedic match, since there have certainly been some matches he's been involved in over the years that have been unintentionally funny?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
He had a whole thing with Tommy Dreamer where he make him drink gross tobacco spit. It wasn't a match, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I sort of feel like the bit with Maven at the Royal Rumble a while back was intended as a comedy spot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Karmine posted:

I sort of feel like the bit with Maven at the Royal Rumble a while back was intended as a comedy spot.

The second time when Maven thought he'd done it again was definitely played for comedy.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Jerusalem posted:

The second time when Maven thought he'd done it again was definitely played for comedy.

Holy crap I forgot about that but yes you're absolutely right.

And there are also times like the bit with Jericho at the Rumble but the comedy comes more from Jericho than Taker.

EXHIBIT A:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Karmine posted:

EXHIBIT A:

Jericho: Are you.... are you going to rape me?
Taker: ....... eventually.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I was watching a match involving the Motor City Machineguns from an impact that was a couple weeks old I think and I noticed one of them took a fall pretty hard and immediately starting pulling his kneepad off frantically.

I remember watching another episode of the show where another guy had done something similar - is this for effect to sell the fall or is this a legitimate signal that they've injured themselves?

I've seen this a few times and it's usually to sell an injury. I know the match you're talking about and he seemed fine after the match. Jericho did this on Smackdown a couple months back and the GDT lit up like a Christmas tree in concern.

The signal for a legit injury is the ref making an X over his head with his arms. Easy to see on Raw, harder on Impact since they have monkeys editing, and drat near impossible to find on Smackdown.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The refs also throw up the X for fake injuries, though. Like when they didn't want to put RVD over Lashley so they faked an injury.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was this the one which made nash angry? If so, it was real and TNA didn't do poo poo.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Wazzu posted:

Was this the one which made nash angry? If so, it was real and TNA didn't do poo poo.

No that was yesterday's episode. Sabin injured his neck by landing horribly on a Rock Bottom.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wazzu posted:

No I haven't see that one yet - I usually have to watch the replays on Spiketv's website so I'm a few weeks behind.

I didn't know about the X's above the head meaning a real (Or storyline) injury, I love knowing little bits like that to look for while watching. Thanks for the answers and info!

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

LividLiquid posted:

The refs also throw up the X for fake injuries, though. Like when they didn't want to put RVD over Lashley so they faked an injury.
I remember that, it was the day when I realised I was a bitter internet smark. I'm watching the episode with my brother, suplex spot happens:
Brother: "Oh it looks like they hosed themselves up there."
Me: (concerned) "Yeah, that poo poo was brutal!"
*ref throws up the X*
Me: "NAH MAN THE REF IS MAKING THE INJURY CALL! NO WAY THEY'D SHOW THAT ON TV! THIS IS BULLSHIT!"
Turns out I was right :smug:

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
After re-watching the Cena debut match against Kurt Angle today, have there been any other big debuts where the new guy has gone up against an established top star and done well.

The only other I can think of would be someone like Carlito who beat Cena for the US Title. Santino I wouldn't count because of the way the match was won with the inteference from Lashley.

Most guys now like Sheamus seem to mainly be booked against jobbers at first to get them over wins, or go the other way and get booked as underdogs at first.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

apsouthern posted:

After re-watching the Cena debut match against Kurt Angle today, have there been any other big debuts where the new guy has gone up against an established top star and done well.

The only other I can think of would be someone like Carlito who beat Cena for the US Title. Santino I wouldn't count because of the way the match was won with the inteference from Lashley.

Most guys now like Sheamus seem to mainly be booked against jobbers at first to get them over wins, or go the other way and get booked as underdogs at first.
DESMOND WOLF!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

*ref throws up the X*
Me: "NAH MAN THE REF IS MAKING THE INJURY CALL! NO WAY THEY'D SHOW THAT ON TV! THIS IS BULLSHIT!"
Turns out I was right :smug:

Similarly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSZdgA0KZLs#t=3m30s

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

apsouthern posted:

Glenn Jacobs had been on WWF TV in other capacities before he became Kane, but Kane's debut has to count for something. The motherfucker interfered in the first Hell in a Cell match!

But I think the Great Khali coming out against the Undertaker is probably the most recent example, depending on how "well" you think he's done for himself.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Similarly

f******* finlay stupid cant win the match properly f******** that just fU*** -REYMYSTERIO RULES!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is there a name for that move Mr perfect used to do where he'd vault over a seated opponent to drag their head forward into the mat? The one Ziggler broke out on this week's Smackdown.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Beeswax posted:

Is there a name for that move Mr perfect used to do where he'd vault over a seated opponent to drag their head forward into the mat? The one Ziggler broke out on this week's Smackdown.

Snapmare

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Beeswax posted:

I've always heard 'roll over neck whip'.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Similarly

GatDAMN, Finley's pretty stiff sometimes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moose Bigelow posted:

Snapmare
Snapmare takeovers are a standing opponent flipping a guy over by twisting his neck and are usually the setup move for the one you're talking about.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Similarly

Haha. I had forgotten about this. What a great idea for a finish that was.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Beeswax posted:

I've heard it referred to as a "Rat trap" before.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Beeswax posted:

Wikipedia just had it named as Neck Snap - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neckbreaker#Neck_snap

quote:

The attacking wrestler stands behind and facing a sitting opponent before then running toward them and performing a somersault over them. As the wrestler falls, they grab the opponent by the back of the head or neck, pushing it downwards as they drop to the mat. This causes the opponent to jerk their neck backwards, snapping it to the mat.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I've heard it called a "Somersault Neck Breaker" a couple of thime when Shane Douglas did it in WCW.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Speaking of Wikipedia, this is probably the worst wrestling related article I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Series_(2007)

quote:

Eventually, Michaels, attempted to perform his superkick, but to prevent himself from losing the match, he stopped, which then allowed Orton to jump and pull Michaels' head down over his shoulders to the mat for an RKO. Successfully pinning Michaels, Orton retained his WWE Title.[4][6]

quote:

At one point, Batista placed The Undertaker on his shoulders and threw him through a table to perform a "Batista Bomb". The Undertaker, however, retaliated by dropping Batista on his head, onto the ring's steel steps, through a Tombstone Piledriver.

quote:

In a narrative extending to the September 10, 2007 episode of Raw, in which Hornswoggle, a dwarf, was announced as Vince McMahon's illegitimate son.[28] In this storyline, McMahon did not like the fact that Hornswoggle was his son, and as a result, he promoted matches in which Hornswoggle faced much larger opponents. As part of this storyline, McMahon announced that The Great Khali, who was billed as standing at 7 feet 4 inches (2.2 m), would face Hornswoggle at Survivor Series. In a promotional in-ring segment on the episode of Friday Night SmackDown! before the pay-per-view event, Khali and Hornswoggle weighed in for their match, in which Khali weighed double the weight of Hornswoggle; this was a segment created by McMahon to humiliate his son.

quote:

Afterwards, the original feud between the two wrestlers was restarted and culminated into a standard wrestling match, known in professional wrestling as a singles match, at WWE's October pay-per-view event Cyber Sunday; Batista won this match and retained his title.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Capsaicin posted:

Speaking of Wikipedia, this is probably the worst wrestling related article I found:

Hold on, before I can finish reading that, I have to walk over to the toilet, unzip my pants and revove my genitals from the confines of my boxer-breifs, then deposit an amount of urine into the toilet.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I've heard it called a "Somersault Neck Breaker" a couple of thime when Shane Douglas did it in WCW.

Wouldn't a somersault neck breaker be a buff blockbuster?

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Beeswax posted:

I thought it was just called a whiplash. Unless I'm thinking of a different move.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gorilla Monsoon used to call it a Snapmare all the time. I'm going with Gorilla.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Snapnare is the first part...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

There's a number of old wrestling articles rewritten to be "FULLY AWARE OF THE FACT THAT WRESTLING IS FAKE", and it's super annoying.

Look around through more of the 1999-2005 pay-per-view articles, and you'll find a shitload of 'em.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

rotinaj posted:

There's a number of old wrestling articles rewritten to be "FULLY AWARE OF THE FACT THAT WRESTLING IS FAKE", and it's super annoying.

Look around through more of the 1999-2005 pay-per-view articles, and you'll find a shitload of 'em.

Spearheaded by some 'sperger who is determined to get all pro wrestling articles cleaned up so they are eligible to be a Wikipedia featured article, evidently unaware of the fact that an article about a b-level PPV from 2004 will never be a featured wikipedia article regardless of how well it's written.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Beeswax posted:

The Throwback!

right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Free Market Gravy posted:

Spearheaded by some 'sperger who is determined to get all pro wrestling articles cleaned up so they are eligible to be a Wikipedia featured article, evidently unaware of the fact that an article about a b-level PPV from 2004 will never be a featured wikipedia article regardless of how well it's written.

This sort of nonsense is why the WH2K wiki needs more love.