Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

Cad_Monkey2 posted:

I'm having some problems with the mail() function.
I'm sending a mail out using html and attempting to use addional headers (as described here.)

The mail will send out just fine with these additional headers...
code:
$headers =  'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";
But when I add headers like this..
code:
$headers .= "To: " . $firstname . " " . $lastname . " <" . $email . ">" . "\r\n";
$headers .= "From: " . $f_firstname . " " . $f_lastname . " <" . $f_email . ">" . "\r\n";
.. as described in the above link to php.net in the format of..
code:
$headers .= 'From: Birthday Reminder <birthday@example.com>' . "\r\n";
.. it falls over and doesn't send. I've tried hard coding it, constructing it in a seperate string before passing it into the $header, using the above code from php.net but it still doesn't work.

The problem is that you're concatenating really strangely, and I'm pretty sure breaking syntax rules.

Try this:

php:
<?
$headers = "To: $firstname $lastname <$email>" . "\r\n" .
"From: $f_firstname $f_lastname" . "\r\n";
?>
You may have to escape the < and > characters, however, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

fletcher posted:

After I read this post I sang "P-H-P" aloud to the tune of AC/DC's T.N.T. :rock:

AWESOME! Now its stuck in my head thanks!

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Oh good god.

I installed this wordpress plugin that has a bulk upload function, so I try to upload a zip and get an error. I ask the lad who made it what gives, he says I don't have the proper extensions enabled in php. I tried to look up how to install the zip extension, but it's a little beyond me.

I'm on a dedicated server with cpanel/whm, and I have root access and all but I've rarely had to muck around in there. Can anyone tell me how to get this bloody thing installed so I can keep from manually uploading several thousand jpegs?

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

apekillape posted:

Oh good god.

I installed this wordpress plugin that has a bulk upload function, so I try to upload a zip and get an error. I ask the lad who made it what gives, he says I don't have the proper extensions enabled in php. I tried to look up how to install the zip extension, but it's a little beyond me.

I'm on a dedicated server with cpanel/whm, and I have root access and all but I've rarely had to muck around in there. Can anyone tell me how to get this bloody thing installed so I can keep from manually uploading several thousand jpegs?

I honestly forget if cpanel has the capability to edit the php.ini file, but you need to find it. After you do, look for:

code:
;extension=php_zip.dll
Remove that semi-colon, restart your server.

Oh, and first check to see if your server even contains php_zip.dll under the ext folder. If not, download it.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Aturaten posted:

I honestly forget if cpanel has the capability to edit the php.ini file, but you need to find it. After you do, look for:

code:
;extension=php_zip.dll
Remove that semi-colon, restart your server.

Oh, and first check to see if your server even contains php_zip.dll under the ext folder. If not, download it.

Don't do this!!!

Instead use Easy Apache in WHM to add the Zip Extension under Exhaustive Options. If you don't use Easy Apache currently, then do whatever. If you modify things manually and then want to use Easy Apache later, things may not work as intended. I find it is best to either manually build and configure Apache and PHP or use Easy Apache, not both!
http://twiki.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/EasyApache3/WebHome

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

DarkLotus posted:

Don't do this!!!

Instead use Easy Apache in WHM to add the Zip Extension under Exhaustive Options. If you don't use Easy Apache currently, then do whatever. If you modify things manually and then want to use Easy Apache later, things may not work as intended. I find it is best to either manually build and configure Apache and PHP or use Easy Apache, not both!

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I missed that. I've been mucking around in Putty and google all day trying to manipulate PECL and a bunch of other nonense, when it's been right there in EasyApache all this time.

Rebuilding now, thanks so much!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

apekillape posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I missed that. I've been mucking around in Putty and google all day trying to manipulate PECL and a bunch of other nonense, when it's been right there in EasyApache all this time.

Rebuilding now, thanks so much!

My pleasure. I'm not sure what you use your server for, but I have 3 cPanel / WHM servers for Lithium Hosting and I don't mind sharing my knowledge and experience!

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

DarkLotus posted:

My pleasure. I'm not sure what you use your server for, but I have 3 cPanel / WHM servers for Lithium Hosting and I don't mind sharing my knowledge and experience!

Haha, good to hear. I'm sure I'll have something else come up soon enough.

I mostly just have the one semi-beefy dedicated server for general web hosting and php scraping scripts. I figured I should actually try and net some revenue with it instead of letting it sit and mock me, so I'm building some wordpress sites and some other general junk just to see if I can break even at a couple bucks a day from adsense or something.

It's quite maddening, I'm good enough to follow directions and all most times, but just trying to sift through and ask the right question takes a whole day sometimes.

I'll definitely be back here more though, apparently goon help is the best help.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

DarkLotus posted:

Don't do this!!!

Well aren't we Mr. "I own a loving web hosting company".

Kids today, and their easy techno babble. In my day, we had to write our own CGI poll scripts, and small chinese men ran our servers.

As a serious side note, I did not know this, and I loving love Lithiumhosting.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Crap, something else I forgot about.

I was trying to remove some folders after I uninstalled another plugin, and apparently since the plugin created them and I removed it they now belong to "nobody" or "User/Group 99". I delete them in File Manager via cpanel and they just come back, and in the ftp I get a 550 Permission Denied error.

Is there an easy way to re-permission or chmod them?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

apekillape posted:

Crap, something else I forgot about.

I was trying to remove some folders after I uninstalled another plugin, and apparently since the plugin created them and I removed it they now belong to "nobody" or "User/Group 99". I delete them in File Manager via cpanel and they just come back, and in the ftp I get a 550 Permission Denied error.

Is there an easy way to re-permission or chmod them?

login as root and type chown user.user /home/user/public_html/folder -R

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Aturaten posted:

Well aren't we Mr. "I own a loving web hosting company".

Kids today, and their easy techno babble. In my day, we had to write our own CGI poll scripts, and small chinese men ran our servers.

As a serious side note, I did not know this, and I loving love Lithiumhosting.

At first I wasn't too pleased with the direction your post was going until I saw that you love Lithium Hosting. Then I smiled :q:

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

DarkLotus posted:

login as root and type chown user.user /home/user/public_html/folder -R

I got this:

chown: `user.user': invalid user

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

apekillape posted:

I got this:

chown: `user.user': invalid user

sorry, not literally user.user, but whatever the user name is that wordpress is installed for.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

DarkLotus posted:

sorry, not literally user.user, but whatever the user name is that wordpress is installed for.

:doh: Of course it is. Totally worked, thanks again.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.
I must be missing something really obvious, but I can't seem to find a quick dynamic way to traverse a multi-dimentional array using an array of keys, and get the result.

php:
<?
// Keys array can be any length
$keys = array("one", "apple", "blue");

// Store contains keyed values
$store = array(
    "one"=>array(
        "apple"=>array(
            "blue"=>"hello",
            "pink"=>"goodbye"
        )
    ),
    "two"=>"something else"
);

// Static code example
echo $store[$keys[0]][$keys[1]][$keys[2]]; // "hello"

// Crap method
$result = $store;
foreach ($keys as $key)
{
    $result = $result[$key];
}
echo $result // "hello"
?>
The foreach method seems retarded and wastes a lot of memory if $store happens to be very large. I figure of all PHPs hundreds of functions there should be one to cover this issue, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Standish
May 21, 2001

v1nce posted:

The foreach method seems retarded and wastes a lot of memory if $store happens to be very large.
"$result = $store;" does not actually make a full copy of the contents of $store, it'll just make $result a reference to $store, (until and unless you modify the array via the $result reference, then it'll do a copy-on-write, (but you can turn this copy-on-write behaviour off by assigning by reference e.g. "$result=&$store")).

See for yourself

This article is a pretty good explanation of references in PHP.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Oh hey, thanks!

I know all about references but I always figured $a=$b just straight duplicated the variable in memory when it was created, I didn't realise it was a reference unless changes are made.

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

Aturaten posted:

The problem is that you're concatenating really strangely, and I'm pretty sure breaking syntax rules.

Try this:

php:
<?
?>

I'll try this on the weekend, thanks for the suggestion.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Aturaten posted:

What do you mean? I can't see anything wrong with his code. It should do exactly the same thing as your code (provided $headers exists already and is a string).

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Jesus Christ. I've been coding in PHP/Codeigniter for a couple of months on and off now (new language/framework for me, used to Java, C#, VB.NET, and C++) and I couldn't find a decent IDE. I used Notepad++ in lieu of anything good along with MySQL Administrator tools to do Schema editing and so forth. If I ran in to bugs, I did echo debugging to find where the problem was.

I repeat: Jesus. Christ.

Why didn't anyone tell me to use Netbeans? I only tried it on a whim due to my last boss loving it to death (I couldn't use it because my work involved SAP/Java/Web DynPro).

This thing does everything. Notepad++ was a piece of poo poo that kept crashing and brought nothing to the table. This brings everything to the table and I have yet to test stability to any extent, but it seems fine so far. There really should be a section devoted to IDE's in the OP, IMO.

I asked in this thread before, I think, but I thought I'd make a post just in case someone else wants to try it out for themselves.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

Aturaten posted:

Try this:

php:
<?
?>

Try to avoid putting " $variables in strings" it is ambiguous and a pita for anyone trying to read.

Preferably you'd do...

php:
<?
$headers = sprintf( "To: %s %s <%s>\r\nFrom: %s %s\r\n", $firstname, $lastname, $email, $f_firstname, $f_lastname );?>
printf, sprintf, vsprintf, etc are pure sex :)

WHY?

I mean you can still use "concatanation" . $for . " basic things", but sprintf is nice in that it separates your strings from your variables, so if you had a language file that had bunch of statements like:

en_GB.php:
php:
<?
define( "INTRO", "Hi, my name is %s.\n" );?>
fr_FR.php
php:
<?
define( "INTRO", "Bonjour, Je suis %s.\n" ); // excuse my poor french?>
then you could have, in your code:

php:
<?
sprintf( INTRO, $name );?>
And including your locale whichever what way you like! :)

Other cool things:
You can format numbers, add decimal points and leading zeroes with ease. http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/func_string_printf.asp
You can REUSE variables. For instance.

php:
<?
$lname = "Bond";
$fname = "James";

printf( 'The name&apos;s %1$s, %2$s %1$s.', $lname, $fname ); 

/* Output
The name's Bond, James Bond.
*/
?>

Rat Supremacy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 30, 2009

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Aturaten posted:

Try this:

php:
<?
?>

As hammerite said, I don't think he's breaking anything with his synatx.
From looking at a few comments there's talk of mail falling over when using "\r\n", rather than just "\n". Try dropping the carriage return and see if it works.

Good recommendation haywire, and something everyone should pay attention to. If I'm not using sprintf I tend to do the following:
php:
<?
$headers = "To: {$firstname} {$lastname} <{$email}>\r\n";
$headers.= "From: {$f_firstname} {$f_lastname"}\r\n";
?>
Though its debatable how much "better" this method is over straight concatenation , I've found with good syntax highlighting it becomes easier to spot variables and mistakes.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

When I have to build something using long blocks of text I like to use heredocs

php:
<?
$headers = <<<EOT
To: {$firstname} {$lastname} <{$email}>\r\n
EOT;

?>

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TreFitty posted:

I repeat: Jesus. Christ.

I think NetBeans' PHP support is fairly new isn't it? I was messing with it in the spring and the highlighting parser was a little hosed so I couldn't get it looking right or working consistently. The code completion was also buggy.

Notepad++ should be pretty stable if you disable the line change highlighting plugin. Not that it's a real IDE or anything, but it crashes about once every six months for me and I use it every day.

Edit: this is not to say that NP++ is the end-all-be-all of editors. The guy who develops it has made some really terrible UI decisions and he seems to derive sexual pleasure from breaking plugin compatibility, but it works pretty darn well for being free.

haywire posted:

sprintf

I find sprintf strings less readable than the variable expansion strings because my editor highlights the variables inside the strings.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 30, 2009

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

TreFitty posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me to use Netbeans? I only tried it on a whim due to my last boss loving it to death (I couldn't use it because my work involved SAP/Java/Web DynPro).

Never even heard of this. I currently use Notepad++ as well (and sftp-drive) to write all my code. All I want is an editor that can do key based authentication to edit remotely hosted code, sftp-drive is the biggest piece of poo poo.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

fletcher posted:

Never even heard of this. I currently use Notepad++ as well (and sftp-drive) to write all my code. All I want is an editor that can do key based authentication to edit remotely hosted code, sftp-drive is the biggest piece of poo poo.

90% of the time I use SSH and nano, but occasionally if I can be bothered to set up a share drive I'll use Notepad++. Just recently I finally got around to writing a half-decent PHP syntax highlighter for nano, up until then I was doing everything in glorious monochrome.

Some day I'll learn something proper like vi or emacs.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

Munkeymon posted:

I think NetBeans' PHP support is fairly new isn't it? I was messing with it in the spring and the highlighting parser was a little hosed so I couldn't get it looking right or working consistently. The code completion was also buggy.

Notepad++ should be pretty stable if you disable the line change highlighting plugin. Not that it's a real IDE or anything, but it crashes about once every six months for me and I use it every day.

I find sprintf strings less readable than the variable expansion strings because my editor highlights the variables inside the strings.

Agreed. It's one of those functions with limited uses that some try to use for everything. If you're not coding in an editor with syntax highlighting, you shouldn't be coding, because you'll be blind in three years.

He's contacentating strangely because he's using double quotes, but not containing the variables within. As for "breaking syntax rules", I said "pretty sure", and I still think he is, but I am not sure WHY.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

fletcher posted:

I personally use UltraEdit. It allows me to remotely edit code using SFTP and the syntax highlighting works well for my needs. I've never used Notepad++, NetBeans, or any Framework or IDE though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

fletcher posted:

You want http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

Configure it to open everything in Notepad++ and go (Options - Prefrences - Editors). You just double-click to download and open things on the remote host and it will automagically upload on save. It will also open PuTTY for you when you're on a secure connection. Regular, non-secure FTP is a little flaky, but I'm going to go ahead and blame that on the FileZilla library he uses because SFTP is pretty solid.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Aturaten posted:

He's contacentating strangely because he's using double quotes, but not containing the variables within. As for "breaking syntax rules", I said "pretty sure", and I still think he is, but I am not sure WHY.

I agree that if you're not going to make use of the parsing of double-quoted strings for variables, then it is in principle more sensible to use single-quoted strings. However, I think you're wrong about him breaking syntax rules; I don't believe he is and I'm curious as to what about his syntax you could suspect of being illegal.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Munkeymon posted:

You want http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

Configure it to open everything in Notepad++ and go (Options - Prefrences - Editors). You just double-click to download and open things on the remote host and it will automagically upload on save. It will also open PuTTY for you when you're on a secure connection. Regular, non-secure FTP is a little flaky, but I'm going to go ahead and blame that on the FileZilla library he uses because SFTP is pretty solid.

I've tried that in the past but I don't like having to switch between two programs. Integrated folder explorer is a must for me. sftp-drive works fine it's just slow as all hell.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

fletcher posted:

I've tried that in the past but I don't like having to switch between two programs. Integrated folder explorer is a must for me. sftp-drive works fine it's just slow as all hell.
Take a look at http://www.phpedit.com

It's not free and is windows only (currently) but has pretty good explorer integration, and you can create virtual folders for a project and plop in remote files from there. It can do key based auth as well.

I personally found the editor to be a little aggressive in the ways it would auto-format stuff as I typed*. That can all be turned off or modified, but I didn't want to hassle myself customizing the gently caress out of it just to get it to behave like a moderate code-formatting IDE (lining up brackets, tabs, etc), plus I didn't have a huge need to edit remotely so I moved on once the trial expired. But YMMV.

* For instance if you typed:
> function<space>
at the start of a new line, it converts it to:
> function _()
> {
> }
with '_' being the cursor.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums
Code editors? If I *need* an IDE, zend is the way to go. However, I don't for PHP as it is mostly trivial, so I present thee...

http://www.sublimetext.com

Can't find anything like it. It has textmate theme support (yay), is extensible, has "snippets", supports lots and lots of languages, has minimap, and is loving fast. I found with e text editor, it would slow up if you highlighted a big block of text. Not with Sublime. It is like the guy has taken all the things he finds piss annoying about other editors and got rid of them. It also has a simplistic project interface (keyboard driven) and various other crap. It is $60 but I emailed the guy and he says it is fine to use it after the trial period, just ignore the odd nag dialog (which is, IMHO, a lot less annoying than all the things that piss me off about other editors).

It also has the added benefit of people asking what sort of crazy cool editor you're using in lectures.

Personally I try to avoid writing directly to remote servers with my workflow, but for the times that I need to, alt-tabbing to WinSCP never did anyone harm.

v1nce posted:

As hammerite said, I don't think he's breaking anything with his synatx.
From looking at a few comments there's talk of mail falling over when using "\r\n", rather than just "\n". Try dropping the carriage return and see if it works.

Good recommendation haywire, and something everyone should pay attention to. If I'm not using sprintf I tend to do the following:
php:
<?
$headers = "To: {$firstname} {$lastname} <{$email}>\r\n";
$headers.= "From: {$f_firstname} {$f_lastname"}\r\n";
?>
Though its debatable how much "better" this method is over straight concatenation , I've found with good syntax highlighting it becomes easier to spot variables and mistakes.

Also consider:

php:
<?
$headers = "To: {$firstname} {$lastname} <{$email}>\r\n"
    . "From: {$f_firstname} {$f_lastname"}\r\n";
?>
As it avoids unnecessarily rewriting a variable. I'd still avoid using "String {$var}" out of preference and personal coding style. I mean, it is slower too, but only by a bunch of nanoseconds.

I try to avoid Heredocs as they don't really solve anything and IIRC are the slowest of the methods.

You should also be trying to avoid mixing languages - it makes no sense to have a bunch of English text in a source code file. English text should be defined in a separate file for maintainability. Next you'll be talking about putting HTML in application code! Crikey!

For things like form generation, use the definitions-in-another-file and have it under a folder like ./resource or something.

Munkeymon posted:

Suit yourself, but sprintf is useful for a bunch of other reasons, too. Separation of static and dynamic data, for instance.

Rat Supremacy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 31, 2009

Cad_Monkey2
Feb 15, 2004

With regards to my mail() function not handling the extra headers, it's been solved in a manner of speaking.

A quote from my hosting company..
"CC and BCC headers when using php's mail() function are blocked by the suhosin security module. This is intentional. If you need a script that sends such headers please use SMTP to send the mail as this allows us to keep better track of outgoing mail for the purpose of identifying and stopping spam. There are many methods for sending SMTP mail including the PEAR Mail package."

So that's another little challenge to get my teeth into. Thanks to all who chipped in with an attempted solution, I leant a fair amount of things whilst running through all your replies.

supster
Sep 26, 2003

I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID
TO READ A SIMPLE GRAPH
You might want to look at Swift Mailer.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I looked back a few pages and couldn't see this asked, sorry if it's one of those questions.. Is there a good tutorial covering what issues need to be protected against when making a cookied login system? I've tried looking on Google but can only find tutorials from years ago - I'm sure there's new vulnerabilities since then that need to be accounted for.

Basically I'm working on an ajax-y side project and want it to work like GMail (login wise) - having ticked the 'remember me' box and stored a cookie, you can then close the browser (killing the session), reopen and go back to the site without logging in again. I don't have SSL on my server (shared hosting), but I just want to make it as secure as I can reasonably.

For the AJAX I was going to just calling the server each time an operation takes place, but I quickly realised this would be firing off far too many requests given the application, so I'm now thinking of storing the operations in a buffer and sending this every 10 seconds or so. To make this secure I was going to include a random seed in the response from the server, which needs to be included in the next request. Does this seem reasonable, or is there a better pattern to use?

Sorry for the naive questions, as I say I'm a bit out of touch with PHP/web security as it's been a few years and things have progressed massively.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Hrmmm.... I am curious to answers to a lot of your questions too as I know for a fact that a lot of the poo poo I am working on right now is riddled with security holes.

Right now we use a cookie that stores a hash of the IP combined with a unique token that is stored in a db. When the site loads it looks for that cookie and checks the ip and the token against the db and automatically marks them as logged in if its ok. I am sure its poo poo.

Some of the web APIs I work with do have a unique tranaction key that is passed on a response and needs to be passed on the next transaction. However that is not for security, instead that is used to make sure the conversation doesn't go out of sync and with the added "convenience" of not having to pass the login info on each request. Its actually a pain in the rear end.

I think its pretty standard though to have a header on each XML request with either authentication info, or a session token that expires server side.

I don't think there is any need to poll the server every so many seconds or what not to authenticate. I think you just need to authenticate each request through ajax. I am pretty sure thats what Gmail does, I don't see why you would want to keep checking the server to make sure your login is valid. Everything on the client side is exposed anyways.

So IMO you should authenticate with some sort of session token on every ajax request.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Begby posted:

I don't think there is any need to poll the server every so many seconds or what not to authenticate. I think you just need to authenticate each request through ajax. I am pretty sure thats what Gmail does, I don't see why you would want to keep checking the server to make sure your login is valid. Everything on the client side is exposed anyways.

I didn't actually mean pinging the server every 10 seconds to see whether it's still authenticated, more that there's lots of data that could change client side and 10 sending a bunch of this info every 10 seconds would be less stress on the server than sending every operation individually. Obviously if the user's not done anything in that 10 seconds, the query could be skipped.

The app's a post-it note type thing, so operations would be adding/deleting/moving/editing text/resizing/changing z-order.. potentially a lot of requests if I send them all individually.

Thanks for the reply though - it would be good to get some more input/ideas :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

SFrost007 posted:

I looked back a few pages and couldn't see this asked, sorry if it's one of those questions.. Is there a good tutorial covering what issues need to be protected against when making a cookied login system? I've tried looking on Google but can only find tutorials from years ago - I'm sure there's new vulnerabilities since then that need to be accounted for.

Basically I'm working on an ajax-y side project and want it to work like GMail (login wise) - having ticked the 'remember me' box and stored a cookie, you can then close the browser (killing the session), reopen and go back to the site without logging in again. I don't have SSL on my server (shared hosting), but I just want to make it as secure as I can reasonably.

For the AJAX I was going to just calling the server each time an operation takes place, but I quickly realised this would be firing off far too many requests given the application, so I'm now thinking of storing the operations in a buffer and sending this every 10 seconds or so. To make this secure I was going to include a random seed in the response from the server, which needs to be included in the next request. Does this seem reasonable, or is there a better pattern to use?

Sorry for the naive questions, as I say I'm a bit out of touch with PHP/web security as it's been a few years and things have progressed massively.

Client side anything is not secure. Are you saying the authentication status is stored in the client's memory? Baad.

On an operation by operation basis is all you can do. Just have the user ID in a session or something and then just have the app check if the signed in ID can do what it's asking on a per request basis. The way you're doing it seems kind of long winded.

I suppose you COULD buffer all done operations, and then when they're sent every 10 seconds or so, check that all of the operations done are legit, but it seems kind of pointless. What if someone saves something then quits, the operation would not be sent!