Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
I got my FirstGear TPG Rainier in the mail the other day and I'm unfortunately going to have to send it back. The fit is awful. It fits me perfectly in the chest and stomach but the arms are way too large, especially in the elbow area where the armor is. I can push it around all over the place and there's no way it'll protect me in a crash. And despite there being a ton of adjustments in other areas on the jacket, there is none on the arms.

I don't understand who these companies are sizing their small gear for. Are there are a lot of short dudes with gigantic elbows and arms? Or if you're joe rocket all of your shorter customers are apparently barrel chested with a huge beer gut.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

AngryGuy posted:

I got my FirstGear TPG Rainier in the mail the other day and I'm unfortunately going to have to send it back. The fit is awful. It fits me perfectly in the chest and stomach but the arms are way too large, especially in the elbow area where the armor is. I can push it around all over the place and there's no way it'll protect me in a crash. And despite there being a ton of adjustments in other areas on the jacket, there is none on the arms.

I don't understand who these companies are sizing their small gear for. Are there are a lot of short dudes with gigantic elbows and arms? Or if you're joe rocket all of your shorter customers are apparently barrel chested with a huge beer gut.

This is the exact same problem my wife had with FirstGear, well-fitting torso, sail-like arms. It makes even less sense that this would be present in women's sizes, unless they've been modeling on people who bench press their own bikes. Thanks goodness for NewEnough's 110% return policy, bought JR gear that fits her just about perfectly.

Dukkha
Jun 16, 2003
focus... on the pool.
I want this helmet so badly... my bike is not even white, but I would consider a white bike for my next bike if this helmet could be purchased to match it.

Anyone know if Nolan or X lite ever produce replica helmets. I couldn't find this one anywhere. FYI this is the helmet Jorge Lorenzo wore in Portugal.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School

Z3n posted:

I'd try other options first...different grips or a bar snake/filling your bars with sand. Cheaper and potentially more effective.

Yeah, and I'd have a look at your front suspension while you're about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dukkha posted:

I want this helmet so badly... my bike is not even white, but I would consider a white bike for my next bike if this helmet could be purchased to match it.

Anyone know if Nolan or X lite ever produce replica helmets. I couldn't find this one anywhere. FYI this is the helmet Jorge Lorenzo wore in Portugal.

They do, but typically you'll have to wait until next year to get this year's helmets.

http://www.planetdsg.com/blog/2008/10/16/nolan-to-launch-nolan-x-lite-race-replica-helmets-in-2009/

Dukkha
Jun 16, 2003
focus... on the pool.
Yea i saw that page too, but I none of those are the apollo 11 helmet he wore in that one race. It is not his normal helmet obviously.

Somehow I think I'm probably out of luck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dukkha posted:

Yea i saw that page too, but I none of those are the apollo 11 helmet he wore in that one race. It is not his normal helmet obviously.

Somehow I think I'm probably out of luck.

You'll have to wait until next year to see which of this year's helmets get released to the general public.

Or you could just ship your helmet off to a custom paint shop.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What "affordable" helmets are sealed against rain infiltration? My HJC CL-15 leaks air around the visor, and last month riding 4 hours in the pouring rain, had a constant stream of water dripping down the inside of the visor. I am pretty sure my Suomy has a good enough seal, but that is a nice enough helmet that is dry-use only.

Have any of you guys had good experience with a sub-200 helmet keeping out the water in a heavy downpour while riding on the highway?

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

dietcokefiend posted:

What "affordable" helmets are sealed against rain infiltration? My HJC CL-15 leaks air around the visor, and last month riding 4 hours in the pouring rain, had a constant stream of water dripping down the inside of the visor. I am pretty sure my Suomy has a good enough seal, but that is a nice enough helmet that is dry-use only.

Have any of you guys had good experience with a sub-200 helmet keeping out the water in a heavy downpour while riding on the highway?

I've had helmets ranging from a clearance $90 Icon to a couple Scorpion Exo-700's, and none of them have leaked a drop, even with the circulation vents open. The Scorpion even went through an interstate ride through alternating downpour and hail, no problems at all.

Dukkha
Jun 16, 2003
focus... on the pool.
if you can find a shoei RF-1000 on sale it might break the $200 price point you're after. Mine never leaks, which is good because as far as I know I didn't have many or any other choices since my head is so large I had to buy a XXXL helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just use your Suomy in the rain you baby. You could buy roughly 8 sets of replacement cheekpads/internal padding for 200$, so if it starts to get rank then you can just replace the padding.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Just use your Suomy in the rain you baby. You could buy roughly 8 sets of replacement cheekpads/internal padding for 200$, so if it starts to get rank then you can just replace the padding.

The other part of it is the Suomy helmet is so loving tight that wearing my balaclava pushes my chin into the front of it :(

r!de the short bus
Nov 22, 2007
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." Dostoevsky
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/hot+deals+-+sport/firstgear_hammer+leather+jacket+-+red

no? yes? should i just spend more?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

$100 for an all leather jacket is a great deal.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I guess this would go in the gear thread and it's somewhat related to Suomy helmets...

If anyone is looking for a great set of earbuds for riding I can heartily suggest the Etymotic er6i's. I picked up a set before my short trip last weekend, wore them on that and commuting to and from work ever since and have been extremely impressed with them. They come with four different types of inserts so it's very likely you'll find something that works well for your individual ear shape. I've found the larger gray triple flange inserts provide the best sound quality (great, punchy bass and good reproduction of highs), however, that type of plug always has a tendency to work itself out of my ear. I've been using the foam plugs the past few days and while the sound reproduction isn't as nice as the bigger triple flange plugs they seal out wind much better and my ear doesn't spit them out after a half hour or so.

My question is, while these earbuds work just fine with my 3 year old HJC helmet, I'm looking at getting something a bit better in the near future and have been looking at Suomys. What I'm wondering is how much room a spec 1r has around the ears -- is it possible to wear some kind of earbud with them? Also, are they basically a racing helmet that's obnoxiously loud for commuting and/or touring?

r!de the short bus
Nov 22, 2007
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." Dostoevsky

bung posted:

$100 for an all leather jacket is a great deal.

yea but its got a poo poo load of seams..

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/hot+deals+-+sport/fieldsheer_air+speed+iv+jacket+-+perforated+leather+-+size+44+&+up

this however has approved ce armor in back shoulders and elbows... is that worth the other 70 dollars? also how deos Shift and Fieldsheer hold up, any owners out there?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

I guess this would go in the gear thread and it's somewhat related to Suomy helmets...

If anyone is looking for a great set of earbuds for riding I can heartily suggest the Etymotic er6i's. I picked up a set before my short trip last weekend, wore them on that and commuting to and from work ever since and have been extremely impressed with them. They come with four different types of inserts so it's very likely you'll find something that works well for your individual ear shape. I've found the larger gray triple flange inserts provide the best sound quality (great, punchy bass and good reproduction of highs), however, that type of plug always has a tendency to work itself out of my ear. I've been using the foam plugs the past few days and while the sound reproduction isn't as nice as the bigger triple flange plugs they seal out wind much better and my ear doesn't spit them out after a half hour or so.

My question is, while these earbuds work just fine with my 3 year old HJC helmet, I'm looking at getting something a bit better in the near future and have been looking at Suomys. What I'm wondering is how much room a spec 1r has around the ears -- is it possible to wear some kind of earbud with them? Also, are they basically a racing helmet that's obnoxiously loud for commuting and/or touring?

I use ER6is with no problems in my Suomy, both in my Spec 1r and my Spec 1r Extreme. The 3 flange plugs fit my ears great and I use them on just about every ride. Helmet noise varies wildly between riders and has a lot to do with how your head fits into the helmet and your motorcycle and riding position. I find the Suomys louder than my Arais, but not in a really bad way. It's just the usual roar of wind passing over the helmet, not a whistle or anything like that.

If you know what your fit is like on the Suomys, send me a PM/E-mail through the site and I'll hook you up with the guy that I get my helmets from. He's got killer deals when it comes to sales directed at him personally.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I use ER6is with no problems in my Suomy, both in my Spec 1r and my Spec 1r Extreme. The 3 flange plugs fit my ears great and I use them on just about every ride. Helmet noise varies wildly between riders and has a lot to do with how your head fits into the helmet and your motorcycle and riding position. I find the Suomys louder than my Arais, but not in a really bad way. It's just the usual roar of wind passing over the helmet, not a whistle or anything like that.

If you know what your fit is like on the Suomys, send me a PM/E-mail through the site and I'll hook you up with the guy that I get my helmets from. He's got killer deals when it comes to sales directed at him personally.

Thanks for the info :)

I wish I did know my fit with Suomy, NO ONE in my area carries them :(. I'm taking another trip this weekend and will be running by/through a number of big cities, hopefuly I can find a shop that carries them.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Ugh, adjusted the pivots on the CL-15 to seal better at the top, and now has a nice gap at the bottom. I guess one could say I got decent use out of the thing for like 67 bucks, but drat.. what a crap rear end helmet.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Ugh, adjusted the pivots on the CL-15 to seal better at the top, and now has a nice gap at the bottom. I guess one could say I got decent use out of the thing for like 67 bucks, but drat.. what a crap rear end helmet.

I have the same helmet and its just about ten months old. I think it was great helmet when I bought it but it hasn't lasted very long. The base plates are falling apart and the visor seals like poo poo. It still fits great, just the mechanical parts are poo poo.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I wore my CL-15 for a year and a half without any issues. I retired it because I wrecked in it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I wore my CL-15 for a year and a half without any issues. I retired it because I wrecked in it.

I found my CL-15 was great for about 6 months of ownership, then it became unbearable in the cold/wet. The seal goes to crap.

I'm on my second Scorpion EXO-700(slammed the first one on the pavement), and I absolutely love em. Usually a $300 helmet but I picked my latest up from New Enough for $100 during a sale, so it can happen.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Thinking about picking up one of the Shark RSR2 helmets on clearance in my size for everyday stuff and touring.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I've done four seasons (about 14,000 miles) with only one problem. The plate on the right side started to stick and it became difficult to open the shield one handed. For $11, I bought a new set of plates and fixed it. I still have the original shield and everything.

Though, I should look at getting something new because of the helmet's age.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Anyone have any experience with firstgear (jackets) or scorpion(helmets)? I tried on a first gear textile jacket and the fit seemed right on, tight fitting all around with just enough space for some thick thermals underneath if needed, The armor seemed well positioned (while standing and I couldn't really shift it). The helmet was like the only out out 2 bike shops I tried that fit with no real obvious hotspots but the venting system on the lens looks a little wonky. I think it also happens to be like the only helmet around town that fit me well and was snell certified. Couldn't find a single leather armored jacket not even at the harly dealership. Guess ill go online.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
I have an exo 400 and it is good for the money. It's heavy but balanced. It feels pretty solid. It is fine below sixty MPH but above that it is noisy like a motherfucker.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ohwandernearer posted:

I have an exo 400 and it is good for the money. It's heavy but balanced. It feels pretty solid. It is fine below sixty MPH but above that it is noisy like a motherfucker.
Yeah, pretty much what I found, even with earplugs/phones. I rarely take the highway so it never bothered me until a couple of weeks ago. But, man, when the wind picks up AND you're truckin' along, it can get on the nerves.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

Thinking about picking up one of the Shark RSR2 helmets on clearance in my size for everyday stuff and touring.

I've had one of those for about a year and a half and it's great - light, well ventilated, reasonably quiet, awesome visor mechanism. Make sure you try it on to check your field of view - the Sharks can limit peripheral vision more than most other brands depending on the shape of your face. Mine clips peripheral a little, but not any more than the HJC I wore before.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Bruinator posted:

I've had one of those for about a year and a half and it's great - light, well ventilated, reasonably quiet, awesome visor mechanism. Make sure you try it on to check your field of view - the Sharks can limit peripheral vision more than most other brands depending on the shape of your face. Mine clips peripheral a little, but not any more than the HJC I wore before.

Not too concerned about it, my Suomy clips more than my HJC, but I got used to it pretty quick.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Not too concerned about it, my Suomy clips more than my HJC, but I got used to it pretty quick.

(Some) HJCs have the most expansive visor ports I've ever seen. Probably part of the reason why after they age a bit they don't seal very well. My Suomy clips the top and bottom of my vision, but that doesn't bother me. What did bother me about my Shark was that it clipped probably 30% of my peripheral vision. I'm right between shell sizes with them, and if I'd chosen the smaller shell it may have been ok, but with the larger one I felt like I couldn't see at all.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Oh god motorcycling very harmful to my wallet.

Any reason I shouldn't replace my too big Gaerne street boots with a pair of Sidi Vertigo's that actually fit :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Oh god motorcycling very harmful to my wallet.

Any reason I shouldn't replace my too big Gaerne street boots with a pair of Sidi Vertigo's that actually fit :ohdear:

They squeak if you don't lubricate the plates, and the extra flashy bits will sometimes hang up on the heel guards of a bike.

But those are pretty much the only reasons not to. Great boots, good protection, look :krad:.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Anyone familiar with fieldsheer branded bags? I'm looking at this
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tail_bags/fieldsheer/expander_motorcycle_tail_bag.html
plus it's saddlebag counterparts. Anyone have one of these? Can you fit a helmet or jacket into this bag? I'd love to know before I buy it and realize its too small to really be useful for carrying boots/pants/whatever around when I'm off the bike.

Thanks!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i know someone here did a thread on this a while back but that's long since gone so i thought it was worth another link:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-heated-clothing/

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

They squeak if you don't lubricate the plates, and the extra flashy bits will sometimes hang up on the heel guards of a bike.

But those are pretty much the only reasons not to. Great boots, good protection, look .

Good enough for me, I'll snag 'em tomorrow :D

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Anyone familiar with fieldsheer branded bags? I'm looking at this
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tail_bags/fieldsheer/expander_motorcycle_tail_bag.html
plus it's saddlebag counterparts. Anyone have one of these? Can you fit a helmet or jacket into this bag? I'd love to know before I buy it and realize its too small to really be useful for carrying boots/pants/whatever around when I'm off the bike.

Thanks!

No experience with that bag directly but I just picked up a set of Cortech Sport saddlebags and tailbag -- I'm going to throw those on the bike tonight and will have a good idea what they're like when I take my little road trip this weekend.

needknees fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 30, 2009

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
damnit double post

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

needknees posted:

No experience with that bag directly but I just picked up a set of Cortech Sport saddlebags and tailbag -- I'm going to throw those on the bike tonight and will have a good idea what they're like when I take my little road trip this weekend.

I used my Sport saddlebags and seat bag on my last trip. Decent space, but awful rain cover design. When you have all the straps securing the bag to your bike, you cant fully cover the bag with the rain fly thing. I ended up losing one about 30 miles out of cincinnati, and saw the other one was about to fly off. Even with the rainfly though, in a constant downpour your poo poo is going to get soaked. Put clothing and whatnot in a trashbag to keep the water off it.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

dietcokefiend posted:

I used my Sport saddlebags and seat bag on my last trip. Decent space, but awful rain cover design. When you have all the straps securing the bag to your bike, you cant fully cover the bag with the rain fly thing. I ended up losing one about 30 miles out of cincinnati, and saw the other one was about to fly off. Even with the rainfly though, in a constant downpour your poo poo is going to get soaked. Put clothing and whatnot in a trashbag to keep the water off it.

Thanks for the heads up about the flying rain covers :-/. That was my fear with a soft bag... I was definitely planning to use a trashbag for a waterproof liner. I always used them backpacking, figured this would be much the same. If only someone made good hard bags / mounts for my bike :(.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

r!de the short bus posted:

also how deos Shift and Fieldsheer hold up, any owners out there?

I've had a a Fieldsheer textile jacket for as long as I've been riding; 5 years. I've been very happy with, it fits well and keeps the rain out well enough. I'm only recently having some issues. The vent zipper on one side of the chest has poo poo the bed, so it's stuck open.

Also, I had my first moving crash, where I dropped a Benelli at about 10 mph. The forearm sleeve was a bit more rashed up, with some small holes, than I was expecting for such a slow crash.

I would, however, buy another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Well just bought my new Shark RSR2 with some funds saved by switching insurance companies. Go-go cross shopping woooo.