Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Edit; Don't get a P-bass, get this: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GL-L2000-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=510983

It's like a P-Bass, but better in every way and cheaper. The pickups and electronics on those things are loving godlike. Designed by Leo Fender after he bailed on fender.

God drat I found one used for under 1000€! The only problem is I don't have enough money right now, I'm getting half around christmas when the tax returns come. I'll have to go test it though. The colour is cherryburst, not too crazy about that but I guess it won't make me not buy it if it's as good as you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

God drat I found one used for under 1000€! The only problem is I don't have enough money right now, I'm getting half around christmas when the tax returns come. I'll have to go test it though. The colour is cherryburst, not too crazy about that but I guess it won't make me not buy it if it's as good as you say.

I absolutely cannot reccomend the G&L L-2000s enough. It was my first bass many years ago, and I've since spent many thousands of dollars on basses, many of which cost far more thn the G&L ever cost me, but I always come back to it and it is still my main bass.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

I absolutely cannot reccomend the G&L L-2000s enough. It was my first bass many years ago, and I've since spent many thousands of dollars on basses, many of which cost far more thn the G&L ever cost me, but I always come back to it and it is still my main bass.

What kind of music do you play? I'm mainly a punk & metal kind of guy so if that thing sounds like a p-bass its fine with me.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Schatten posted:

done. =D
see other thread.
That thing rules, dude. I'm not a rick fan, but that's a slick instrument! Nice score!

Dyna Soar posted:

What kind of music do you play? I'm mainly a punk & metal kind of guy so if that thing sounds like a p-bass its fine with me.
I'm sorry, maybe I missed something. Why aren't you just getting a p-bass?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Heavy and death metal.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

scuz posted:

I'm sorry, maybe I missed something. Why aren't you just getting a p-bass?

I haven't decided what I'm getting yet. I'm leaning towards a p-bass, but since Geisladisk says that bass is so good and I actually found one (might be the only one for sale in Finland at the moment) less than 10 miles from me and at a very good price I might have to go and check it out.

I also found a pretty good deal on this, 800€. It's the same price at thomann, who are probably the cheapest store in Europe. I'm gonna go try it out too.

No luck on any used p-basses near me sadly.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I've been meaning to replace the pickups that came on my Mexican P-bass for a while now and I think I am finally up to it. Anyone got any recommendations for what I should replace them with? I kind of want to retain a P-bass like sound but I am really up for any suggestions that my work.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scrabbleship posted:

I've been meaning to replace the pickups that came on my Mexican P-bass for a while now and I think I am finally up to it. Anyone got any recommendations for what I should replace them with? I kind of want to retain a P-bass like sound but I am really up for any suggestions that my work.

What kind of music do you play? Do you want more of a vintage sound, something more modern, something with more output?

Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders are a popular replacement, but they carry a slight mid-scoop type of sound and are a bit more modern sounding than I prefer.

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

scrabbleship posted:

I wouldn't call this a recommendation because I'm in the same position, but I've heard that the Fender "Original '62 P Bass Pickup" was good, and a good value. Has anyone used these that could comment on them?

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Is there a major difference in Japanese and Mexican Fenders? Seems like theres a few japanese ones floating around on ebay for a little less than I could buy a new Mexican, but I'm unsure how they stack up to each other quality wise.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

Is there a major difference in Japanese and Mexican Fenders? Seems like theres a few japanese ones floating around on ebay for a little less than I could buy a new Mexican, but I'm unsure how they stack up to each other quality wise.

Typically the Japanese Fenders are of higher quality than the Mexican and sometimes even the American counterparts. It just depends on the year(s) it was built. Granted it's always a good idea to try a bass before you buy it (like the actual physical one), but given a seller's good reputation, I would feel MUCH more comfortable about buying a MIJ/CIJ Fender than an MIM w/o having played it first.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 23, 2013

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

combee posted:

I'm a complete newbie who would like to learn bass. I'm making my way through this thread, as well as the info on the TalkBass forums, but I'm in over my head I think, and I'm a little scared to post there, so here goes.

Looking to acquire my first bass guitar. My background is classical piano, so in terms of theory I at least have a step in the right direction. As far as I can tell there isn't any reason for me to look at a 5- or 6-string bass yet, so for now I'm looking for a standard 4-string electric bass guitar. I'm right handed, and I'm a girl but my hands are reasonably big I think (my fingers are certainly chunky :v:).

In terms of music I'm fairly eclectic but the majority I would narrow down to rock, pop-rock, indie and metal. Music I enjoy includes Björk, No Doubt, Eskimo Joe, Garbage, Death Cab for Cutie, Weezer, Queen, Sarah Blasko, Little Birdy, The Offspring, Muse, Metallica and Franz Ferdinand, and Dethklok. In terms of particular bassists I admire, I've been listening to Talking Heads a bit and I like Tina Weymouth's style, I think. I'd most likely be starting with covers.

I'm looking to acquire something at least decent. I was contemplating the Squier Badtz-Maru Bronco Bass as it looks rather fun and the price is right, but the reviews are so-so and I think I'd rather start with a bass with a 34" scale length and not 30". Obviously there's a lot of people on the internet that like to argue, and different people like different things. I'm thinking I may pop into The Bass People or Billy Hyde Music and have a look around there, just look at and hold and play some actual bass guitars so I can get a feel. But a point in the right direction would be great. (precision vs jazz bass? particular features, giant glaring no-nos etc).

I'm in Sydney, Australia and price-wise we tend to get the short end of the stick. Billy Hyde Music (link above) tends to stick to RRP if you want to compare prices. I'm looking to spend probably under AU$500 on the bass guitar alone because I do realise that it's fairly likely that I'll either [a] get sick of my first bass as I get into playing, or [b] give up in frustration and never touch the bass again. However, if you have a suggestion that is decent I'll definitely consider it, if the reasons are right.

I am as putty in your hands, people. Please shape me!

I'd get a Squier Jazz copy, don't know about the models but something in the range of 200-300€ should be good for a first bass. I have a cheapo Ibanez at the moment and I've been very happy with it so I recommend you try some Ibanez's out.

Why Jazz? Because it's got a thinner neck so it's easier to learn with, especially if your hands are on the small side. Precision has it's own advantages (mainly the sound) but a j-bass is very versatile and a great choice for a beginner. I suggest you go to a shop and try all the models they have and see what feels good. Whatever you do, don't buy Harvey Benton.

Definitely get a 4-string first, 5 and 6 strings can be helpful but they're def not needed for most rock songs. I find the extra strings just to be on the way personally.

Your fingers will be sore, but don't give up. I suggest you start fingerstyle because pickstyle is easier, but either is fine. Having a solid foundation from the piano helps more than you'd think.

As far as amplification goes, buy a cheap 15w training combo first, but as soon as you find other people to play with do not waste money on combos! An amp + cab is much more versatile, especially on the cheap end gear. Gallien-Kruegers backline amps and cabs are a fine choice for example, or Ashdowns cheapo models.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
New gear thread? Nah. I'll post it in bass specific. Vids from a cousin of mine who's been working for Alfred most of his life. He sent me a few DVDs. I should ask for more. =)

http://twitpic.com/o2sol

He's a drummer, percussionist, composer. Unfortunately, he doesn't play drums too often, but when asked if he has a set laying around, well he has a few. Including an old kit that once belonged to Louis Bellson in his garage.

Schatten fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 3, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I might be getting an Ampeg 810 (the one I linked earlier) and had a transportation question...

Will this thing fit in an Accord? Who has one of these and a smaller car? I think I'll be able to finangle it in there, but I thought that if I asked the internet, you guys would have a few ideas :3:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How often should I change the preamp batteries in my Warwick Rockbass Corvette? My brother has a bunch of ESPs and said he changes his once a year and he plays pretty much an hour a day every day, plus rehearsal which is 5hrs a week. I do maybe 7hrs all up in a week.

Also, does cut/boosting the EQ on the preamp make the batteries drain faster? I recently dabbled with the settings (normally just run it as neutral and then EQ the amp) for a jam session with good results but last night at jam it was incredibly clippy (probably in the preamp on the bass since it wasnt tripping my clip light on my amp) rather than the smoothness I had the week before.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Laserface posted:

How often should I change the preamp batteries in my Warwick Rockbass Corvette? My brother has a bunch of ESPs and said he changes his once a year and he plays pretty much an hour a day every day, plus rehearsal which is 5hrs a week. I do maybe 7hrs all up in a week.

Also, does cut/boosting the EQ on the preamp make the batteries drain faster? I recently dabbled with the settings (normally just run it as neutral and then EQ the amp) for a jam session with good results but last night at jam it was incredibly clippy (probably in the preamp on the bass since it wasnt tripping my clip light on my amp) rather than the smoothness I had the week before.

Cutting/boosting shouldn't change how much it drains. The preamp is always ON as long as the instrument cable is connected, regardless of what the settings are. The best way to save battery life is to not leave an instrument cable plugged in if you're not playing.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

What you should do is just keep spare 9v's in your bass case...no need to worry about the battery running out then.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

combee posted:

I'm a complete newbie who would like to learn bass. I'm making my way through this thread, as well as the info on the TalkBass forums, but I'm in over my head I think, and I'm a little scared to post there, so here goes.

Looking to acquire my first bass guitar. My background is classical piano, so in terms of theory I at least have a step in the right direction. As far as I can tell there isn't any reason for me to look at a 5- or 6-string bass yet, so for now I'm looking for a standard 4-string electric bass guitar. I'm right handed, and I'm a girl but my hands are reasonably big I think (my fingers are certainly chunky :v:).

In terms of music I'm fairly eclectic but the majority I would narrow down to rock, pop-rock, indie and metal. Music I enjoy includes Björk, No Doubt, Eskimo Joe, Garbage, Death Cab for Cutie, Weezer, Queen, Sarah Blasko, Little Birdy, The Offspring, Muse, Metallica and Franz Ferdinand, and Dethklok. In terms of particular bassists I admire, I've been listening to Talking Heads a bit and I like Tina Weymouth's style, I think. I'd most likely be starting with covers.

I'm looking to acquire something at least decent. I was contemplating the Squier Badtz-Maru Bronco Bass as it looks rather fun and the price is right, but the reviews are so-so and I think I'd rather start with a bass with a 34" scale length and not 30". Obviously there's a lot of people on the internet that like to argue, and different people like different things. I'm thinking I may pop into The Bass People or Billy Hyde Music and have a look around there, just look at and hold and play some actual bass guitars so I can get a feel. But a point in the right direction would be great. (precision vs jazz bass? particular features, giant glaring no-nos etc).

I'm in Sydney, Australia and price-wise we tend to get the short end of the stick. Billy Hyde Music (link above) tends to stick to RRP if you want to compare prices. I'm looking to spend probably under AU$500 on the bass guitar alone because I do realise that it's fairly likely that I'll either [a] get sick of my first bass as I get into playing, or [b] give up in frustration and never touch the bass again. However, if you have a suggestion that is decent I'll definitely consider it, if the reasons are right.

I am as putty in your hands, people. Please shape me!

Was in your position a few months back, I ended up buying an Ibanez GSR190 starter pack for about $600AUD ( http://www.allansmusic.com.au/prod/100289/Ibanez_GSR190J_Jumpstart_Bass_Guitar_and_Amp_Pack.aspx )the bass is solid, but the amp that comes with it is pretty much garbage, if i did it again I'd probably just buy an SR200, as I'm in need of a new amp now anyway.

Head into Bully Hyde or Allans and try out a few basses, see what fits/feels the best then come home and have a think/watch some youtube videos of people playing that bass to get an idea of what kind of sounds you can get with it. Then I suggest you give ebay a browse, especially being in a major city, you ought to find quite a few people who took bass up, failed and are now willing to dump their gear for peanuts, especially stuff like entry level squiers/yamahas/ibanezs. If nothing comes out then head back in to the store for a final comparison and purchase.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Laserface posted:

This is a problem with the Rockbasses, it affected a certain line. There's a wiring problem, so in effect the battery is always being drained, regardless of if it's being played. I can vouch for this since I've had two and they both had this problem. Batteries lasted me about 1-2 weeks. See http://www.warwickrockbass.com/news/46.htm

This is a bit of an old problem though- you used to be able to get it fixed for free but I'm not sure you can do that anymore. In any case, I'd bet that's what your issue is. Once I got mine fixed, I don't think I've changed it in two years. The clippy sound you hear is likely the result of a dying battery. Mine used to get crackly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks for that. I bought it at the start of this year but for all I know its been sitting in a warehouse for a while (its a left handed model and im in australia so it could very be one of maybe 6 ever ordered)

Ill change the battery tonight and give it a go. I play it now with about 80% on the bass EQ and it just starts clicking if i use a lot of attack, so hopefully its just the battery. it sounded brutal last week god dammit and the band loved it then last night I got shat on :(

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

scrabbleship posted:

Without a doubt, the Nordstrand np-4 is the best pbass pickup I've used. It's the only one I'll recommend, and that view is shared by a good many people in my area (and on Talkbass). http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass_trad.html

Look around for a good price. They normally sell for ~115

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I'm needing a bass for some mostly metal-ish stuff without too round a bass tone. To match my guitar, the tunings would be like Ab Eb C G, B F# D G, maybe even G D Bb F. Obviously, that's crazy low (keeping it an octave below guitar), with large interval skips, and I'd rather do it without five strings if possible. Is that a doable endeavor? Any recommendations for bass models, pick-up models, etc?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Duck and burger posted:

I'm needing a bass for some mostly metal-ish stuff without too round a bass tone. To match my guitar, the tunings would be like Ab Eb C G, B F# D G, maybe even G D Bb F. Obviously, that's crazy low (keeping it an octave below guitar), with large interval skips, and I'd rather do it without five strings if possible. Is that a doable endeavor? Any recommendations for bass models, pick-up models, etc?

I've been thinking about this after you posted it. Not my forte, but there are a few four string basses tuned BEAD. Those would have a strong enough neck to look into heavier strings. With a standard 34" scale, the strings will sound floppy.

The other thought, is not as heavy. A baritone style guitar - or perhaps take a bass tuned to ADGC, tune it however you wish, and use a MicroPog to emulate a lower octave for bottom end?

Dirtyhat
Mar 29, 2005

You got moxie, kid.

Schatten posted:

I've been thinking about this after you posted it. Not my forte, but there are a few four string basses tuned BEAD. Those would have a strong enough neck to look into heavier strings. With a standard 34" scale, the strings will sound floppy.

The other thought, is not as heavy. A baritone style guitar - or perhaps take a bass tuned to ADGC, tune it however you wish, and use a MicroPog to emulate a lower octave for bottom end?

I'm sorry but I have my MIM Fender Jazz tuned to BEAD just fine, the B is fine, nothing is floppy, with .130 string guage (I think). Duck and burger try some DR Lo-Rider strings, or anything with a hex core for some extra tension in the B.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah BEAD is fine on a standard 4 string. You might have to re-slot the nut, but probably not even that really. Tuning down to Ab or G is gonna get floppy though. You would need to get a 7 string set that has an F# in it or custom gauge singles probably.

If you don't have a pretty serious amp then tuning that low is likely to sound like poo poo regardless. Most bass amps cant even really reproduce the fundamental of a low B.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

combee posted:

Been looking around on eBay, no Ibanezes within my area but plenty of Yamahas and Ashtons, and a couple of Fenders... not much on TalkBass in terms of Aussie sellers either. I'll be in town this week though so I'll probably drop into Allan's music. Good thing I won't be getting paid for a couple of weeks, gives me time to think. I really want to play around with a bass now though :(

Definately stay away from Ashtons, they play/sound terrible and start to fall apart very early.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

Dirtyhat
Mar 29, 2005

You got moxie, kid.

combee posted:

Yep, learnt that lesson the hard way when I got an Ashton acoustic guitar beginner's set :( luckily (?) I dropped the guitar so we had to get a new one...

EDIT: There's a guy on eBay selling a Fender Jazz Standard. AU$650 (about US$600). Thoughts?

Australia gets hosed on prices

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

Cosmic Beluga
Sep 9, 2004

~* ride, captain, ride *~
I follow http://notreble.com on twitter and they post lessons, bass news, reviews, and cool videos.

My Axe: Link for Size

5 string for life!

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

rockear posted:

Yeah BEAD is fine on a standard 4 string. You might have to re-slot the nut, but probably not even that really. Tuning down to Ab or G is gonna get floppy though. You would need to get a 7 string set that has an F# in it or custom gauge singles probably.

If you don't have a pretty serious amp then tuning that low is likely to sound like poo poo regardless. Most bass amps cant even really reproduce the fundamental of a low B.

Well, I've been working with a pod x3 for recording and it's been great for guitars. Think I could make it work with a $500-700-ish 4-string LTD in low G#?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Duck and burger posted:

Talk to http://www.circlekstrings.com and see if they can help you assemble an appropriate set. They specialize in strings for alternate tunings.:)

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

combee posted:

Yep, learnt that lesson the hard way when I got an Ashton acoustic guitar beginner's set :( luckily (?) I dropped the guitar so we had to get a new one...

EDIT: There's a guy on eBay selling a Fender Jazz Standard. AU$650 (about US$600). Thoughts?

It's a good price, but the standards can vary in quality, so if you can, check it out before committing to buy, or factor in the cost of a setup with your purchase.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Dirtyhat posted:

I'm sorry but I have my MIM Fender Jazz tuned to BEAD just fine, the B is fine, nothing is floppy, with .130 string guage (I think). Duck and burger try some DR Lo-Rider strings, or anything with a hex core for some extra tension in the B.

Reread his question. Not tuning to BEAD. Tuning lower. More flop.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Duck and burger posted:

Well, I've been working with a pod x3 for recording and it's been great for guitars. Think I could make it work with a $500-700-ish 4-string LTD in low G#?

Yeah I'm sure you could. Just factor in $75 or so to have the nut re-slotted for larger strings and a setup.

I would definitely talk to a string shop like in 82Daion's post about it. Heavier strings won't hurt your neck, but uneven tension between strings can warp it, which is really bad. If you tell them what tuning you want, they can figure it out.

Talkbass has a strings forum that might help you too.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Wow Wheat's BassBook is amazing with their simple explantions for things I found very difficult to understand.

gently caress those other books I paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a huge difference in the playability/tone between an otherwise equal Jazz Bass and a Jaguar Bass? From my understanding the Jag is basically a Jazz with a fancy body and a bit more versatility in what you can do with the pickups.