Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

The 528MHz Verizon HTC phone is basically the Sprint Hero as far as hardware. It's not bad but the Samsung Moment is 800MHz and Snapdragon phones are hitting in 2010 at 1GHz. The other VZW Android phone is the Moto Droid, which is (I think) 600MHz, but with a better screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/26/htc-dragon-coming-to-verizon-as-the-passion/

I'm hopeful for this by years end. Maybe Sprint will have something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

C/P: South Africa, Vodacom
Contract status: Currently on Talk 130, going to upgrade to Talk 240
Budget: Don't want to spend more than R450 per month.
Features: Good camera, MP3 player, decent web browser a plus. Touch screen not important - would prefer keypad. Don't want slide phone.

Because I will have a Pandora as soon as it is released, and what I really want is a digital camera, I dont know if I should try and buy one now in Dubai (I am going to be there next week for a couple hours on a stop over flight) or to get a phone with a decent camera so as to converge my devices, as otherwise I am going to have my iriver MP3 player, Pandora UMPC/games console, cell phone and digital camera. By the way, my iRiver is a really good 8gb mp3 player with dictaphone which I use quite regularly and is essential for my work.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 29, 2009

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
C/P: US, AT&T
Contract status: iPhone 3G (not 3Gs) basic plan, still under contract
Budget: Budget is flexible but I'd like to keep the phone under $400 and the plan under $80 if possible
Features: Wi-fi, GPS (if possible), my main feature right now involves overseas travel. I'll be visiting the UK at least once during the life cycle of my next phone and want to be able to easily and inexpensively use it there (which you can't do with the iphone). I'd like to be able, while there, to make calls, use SMS messaging, and twitter via phone. Probably a pipe dream but there you go.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

vibur posted:

Features: Wi-fi, GPS (if possible), my main feature right now involves overseas travel. I'll be visiting the UK at least once during the life cycle of my next phone and want to be able to easily and inexpensively use it there (which you can't do with the iphone). I'd like to be able, while there, to make calls, use SMS messaging, and twitter via phone. Probably a pipe dream but there you go.

You can unlock/jailbreak the iphone and use a prepaid sim over in europe just fine.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Tedronai66 posted:

You can unlock/jailbreak the iphone and use a prepaid sim over in europe just fine.
Preferable without having to do something like this. I've jailbroken my phone but I get lost when it comes to unlocking. Also, I've come to hate AT&T and I'm not really happy with Apple right now either.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Laopooh posted:

I'm going back to the States at the end of the month and I'll be there for about three months. I'll need a cell phone but I've never had one there before, having moved to Japan immediately after college. What's my best option? I assume some kind of prepaid or pay-as-you-go phone would be best? Do American phones do email free of charge, or piggybacked onto whatever data plan you have? I've heard they charge for individual messages, which seems ridiculous. I'd like something with lots of features since I'm used to all the nice stuff that comes standard on Japanese cells. Here I use phone-to-phone email MUCH more than I do phone calls. I use maybe 30 minutes of voice a month. But I suppose that might change when I'm back home.

• Country/Provider: America

• Current contract status: None

• Budget (phone/plan): Maybe prepaid or pay-as-you-go. No long term contracts. Cheap but not junk.

• Features I know I want: Email? Web access would be nice. Basically I have no idea what's available so some kind of cost/performance chart for these types of phones would be awesome.

Thanks!!

Sorry to quote myself, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me? I'm back in the States now and cellphoneless so I'd like to get one ASAP. I also decided that cheapness is more important than "lots of features" and that I'll use voice calls more than I thought, usually at night. I'll only be here three months max, and my family all uses Verizon on some family plan if that makes a difference. Thanks!

imonlyapuppet
Apr 28, 2004
keylogger
# Country/Provider: USA / Currently on Verizon, open to whatever.

# Current contract status: Currently on a Verizon family plan and own an LG Chocolate 3. I can get out of this family plan whenever I want. My parents cover the costs of the plan right now. I am open to switching to any carrier.

# Budget (phone/plan): I'm graduating from college in december, and my birthday is two days before christmas, so it's looking like the phones' going to be a gift, with the plan being my responsibility to pay. That said, probably $200 for the phone, $90 max for the plan. I'm hoping to get a friend to join me in a family plan (if this is possible) and split the cost of it so we both pay less. Any idea if it's possible to just buy a smartphone and stay on the family plan (possibly just paying some sort of additional fee, maybe $30 or something? If so, this would be much cheaper then switching to another carrier, even if i split a family plan with a friend)

# Features I know I want: I'm tired of having a dumbphone. I know several people with iPhones, and they're a ton of fun. I've always wanted one. I send a lot of texts, so I need a phone that I can text on easily. I feel like I have trouble using touchscreen or QWERTY keyboards (I've always used phones with T9 on a standard keypad) - but I assume this is because I've never used them before, and I'll get used to it. I want to have internet access wherever I go, not just confined to WiFi spots. Camera is essential but it doesn't have to be an amazing camera. Video would be cool, too, but not a deciding factor. I want functionality and flexibility. I love the apps that the iPhone has

I've never owned a smartphone, and I've only my friends' iPhones before, and I like it a lot. I've got a Macbook, and I can't go back to a PC - my Macbook (and the OS) works flawlessly, it's simple, fun, and it never has problems. Same with my iPod, I would never consider a Zune or anything else. I'm "an Apple person," I suppose. That's why I'm considering the iPhone over everything else (also, I love the way the texts display like an IM conversation). But I'm not sure if their phones/AT&T are as good as their computers. Also, I'm using a Macbook as my only computer, not sure if that has any pros or cons associated with either the iPhone or any other non-Apple smartphone.

I've looked up some previews of the Verizon Droid (I've never used an Android phone before), and it looks like it's getting good reviews. I don't know anything about Android and have never used it before. I've heard the keyboard for the Droid sucks, which is a big thing for me since I text so often. I don't need to decide until December, so I can wait for the Droid to be released and see how it fares against the iPhone. But the iPhone has so many apps, and I'm a big Apple fan as it is. I'm worried the Droid, while posessing better hardware, just suffers from not being as simple and reliable as an Apple product and the huge variety of apps in the iPhone community.

I feel like since I'm graduating from college and going into the "real world" (also, gift opportunities), it's time to get away from my dumbphone and update to some modern technology, to have the internet always at my fingertips, not just email but web browsing, youtube, pictures, video, etc as well. I'm ready for a phone I can actually have "fun" with instead of just talking and texting. (Spoiled by technology, i know).

Sorry if this is not specific enough, feel free to ask questions and I will answer.

imonlyapuppet fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 2, 2009

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

imonlyapuppet posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / Currently on Verizon, open to whatever.

# Current contract status: Currently on a Verizon family plan and own an LG Chocolate 3. I can get out of this family plan whenever I want. My parents cover the costs of the plan right now. I am open to switching to any carrier.

# Budget (phone/plan): I'm graduating from college in december, and my birthday is two days before christmas, so it's looking like the phones' going to be a gift, with the plan being my responsibility to pay. That said, probably $200 for the phone, $90 max for the plan. I'm hoping to get a friend to join me in a family plan (if this is possible) and split the cost of it so we both pay less. Any idea if it's possible to just buy a smartphone and stay on the family plan (possibly just paying some sort of additional fee, maybe $30 or something? If so, this would be much cheaper then switching to another carrier, even if i split a family plan with a friend)

# Features I know I want: I'm tired of having a dumbphone. I know several people with iPhones, and they're a ton of fun. I've always wanted one. I send a lot of texts, so I need a phone that I can text on easily. I feel like I have trouble using touchscreen or QWERTY keyboards (I've always used phones with T9 on a standard keypad) - but I assume this is because I've never used them before, and I'll get used to it. I want to have internet access wherever I go, not just confined to WiFi spots. Camera is essential but it doesn't have to be an amazing camera. Video would be cool, too, but not a deciding factor. I want functionality and flexibility. I love the apps that the iPhone has

I've never owned a smartphone, and I've only my friends' iPhones before, and I like it a lot. I've got a Macbook, and I can't go back to a PC - my Macbook (and the OS) works flawlessly, it's simple, fun, and it never has problems. Same with my iPod, I would never consider a Zune or anything else. I'm "an Apple person," I suppose. That's why I'm considering the iPhone over everything else (also, I love the way the texts display like an IM conversation). But I'm not sure if their phones/AT&T are as good as their computers. Also, I'm using a Macbook as my only computer, not sure if that has any pros or cons associated with either the iPhone or any other non-Apple smartphone.

I've looked up some previews of the Verizon Droid (I've never used an Android phone before), and it looks like it's getting good reviews. I don't know anything about Android and have never used it before. I've heard the keyboard for the Droid sucks, which is a big thing for me since I text so often. I don't need to decide until December, so I can wait for the Droid to be released and see how it fares against the iPhone. But the iPhone has so many apps, and I'm a big Apple fan as it is. I'm worried the Droid, while posessing better hardware, just suffers from not being as simple and reliable as an Apple product and the huge variety of apps in the iPhone community.

I feel like since I'm graduating from college and going into the "real world" (also, gift opportunities), it's time to get away from my dumbphone and update to some modern technology, to have the internet always at my fingertips, not just email but web browsing, youtube, pictures, video, etc as well. I'm ready for a phone I can actually have "fun" with instead of just talking and texting. (Spoiled by technology, i know).

Sorry if this is not specific enough, feel free to ask questions and I will answer.

Android is a very simple OS to use, don't let that make your decision. I was in a store checking out the marketplace, and downloaded and installed Pandora within a minute, never having used that phone in my life. If you want a lot of program selection, I would say your options should be an Android phone or the iPhone.

You're making a big purchase, don't guess. Go spend an hour or more in the store with each phone. Physical vs virtual keyboards are not something someone can tell you about, you have to make that call on your own.

Good news is, you can cancel a contract within 30 days, penalty free (excluding maybe a restocking fee because you got a brand new phone they now have to treat as a refurb). The family plan thing should be possible and should be cheaper than a solo line. Remember, $90/month sounds low, but multiply that by 24 months and you're over $2000 in two years plus the cost of the phone. Just something to keep in mind while you shop.

imonlyapuppet
Apr 28, 2004
keylogger

900ftjesus posted:

Android is a very simple OS to use, don't let that make your decision. I was in a store checking out the marketplace, and downloaded and installed Pandora within a minute, never having used that phone in my life. If you want a lot of program selection, I would say your options should be an Android phone or the iPhone.

You're making a big purchase, don't guess. Go spend an hour or more in the store with each phone. Physical vs virtual keyboards are not something someone can tell you about, you have to make that call on your own.

Good news is, you can cancel a contract within 30 days, penalty free (excluding maybe a restocking fee because you got a brand new phone they now have to treat as a refurb). The family plan thing should be possible and should be cheaper than a solo line. Remember, $90/month sounds low, but multiply that by 24 months and you're over $2000 in two years plus the cost of the phone. Just something to keep in mind while you shop.

I'll go by the Verizon store in a week or so when the Droid is released and play with it. I'm worried the Droid/Android is TOO simple, and too basic, as it looks like it's being marketed towards older, business users, rather than the hip, young, iphone crowd.

I'm concerned that I won't really get the true feel for the different types of keyboards just by going into the store for a couple hours. I initially don't like virtual keyboards, I feel like my fingers are too fat (though they're not), and it seems like it's something that just takes getting used to, more than an hour or two "used to." But it can't hurt to check them out.

I read your post about how free phones aren't free, and definitely realize the $90x24 logic. Though, with my budget now and the fact that others are considering this as a gift to me, paying $200 and signing up for a 2-year contract is MUCH easier (though obviously more expensive over the course of 2 years) than paying $500+ now for the phone without contract.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

imonlyapuppet posted:

I'll go by the Verizon store in a week or so when the Droid is released and play with it. I'm worried the Droid/Android is TOO simple, and too basic, as it looks like it's being marketed towards older, business users, rather than the hip, young, iphone crowd.

I would say it's the exact opposite of that (not necessarily the marketing). Android is a more open, less controlled OS where the iPhone is restricted to exactly what Apps Apple allows on it. Google retains some control of the marketplace, but they won't forbid Opera from releasing a browser on Android. Android is all about having more choices and more flexibility, the iPhone is about using the phone Apple has designed exactly how they want you to use it.

If you're ok with that, it's not a bad phone at all. Just don't be fooled that a simple UI means it's a dumbphone, it's extremely capable.

Good place to see what programs you can get:
http://androidstats.com/home/categories

OutLaw
Aug 19, 2005
Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades
C/P: US (AK), AT&T
Contract status: basic talk plan, unlimited text, still in a contract with a poo poo phone.
Budget: I want something around or under 200
Features: I hate having a lot of poo poo in my pockets so the phone has to be small, as small as possible in all dimensions. I prefer candy bars but that's not really a big issue. only other thing I want is to have one that is simple to use and does not take 5 seconds to bring up the contact list like my current phone. I loving hate how there is poo poo on phones like games and pictures that I cant delete.

I was thinking a Xun Chi or a Modu would be cool but I was not able to find a place to buy one, or at least a place that looked trustworthy.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I need a set of phones and plans to go with them.

# Country/Provider: USA - currently T-Mobile but willing to change
# Current contract status: month to month I think
# Budget (phone/plan): Doesn't matter on phones, as cheap as possible on the plan.
# What I want:
1) Smartphone for myself with phone and data. I have an unlocked t-mobile curve now and I like it fine. Must have full keyboard and I have to be able to check/send email for work. I use google maps, the web and IRC on it as well.
2) Smartphone for my wife with phone and wifi. Must be Windows/Palm/iPhone/Blackberry to run Epocrates software. No data plan if possible.

My wife has a Windows Mobile PDA and a standard phone right now. She wants to combine the two but she will not use any of the features a data plan provides. She will use it as a phone (she doesn't text message or email) and to run a medical program called Epocrates.

The only time she would need to do anything that might require data is to update the medical software and that can be done over wifi. The medical software does require quite a bit of screen real estate, so a decent sized smartphone is probably better than a tiny one.

She'd really like an iPhone because everyone else has one but I don't want to pay for a data plan she'll never use. Also, she thinks Verizon would get her the best phone signal in the hospitals she works in so that might be a plus, but it seems like their plans are more expensive.

For the phone plans, we barely talk on our cell phones except to each other, and even then not that much. The lower the minutes the better.

Let me know what you think. I'm mostly interested in how to get my wife a phone that can run her software without getting a data plan. I don't mind buying the phone at full price separately to avoid a contract that requires it.

BossTweed fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 5, 2009

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Country/Provider: USA - Verizon Wireless
Current contract status: No contract
Budget (phone/plan): Less than $100 for the phone, ideally cheap as possible for the plan
Features I know I want: Smaller or same size as a Chocolate 2, good battery life.

Here is the deal. I get a 20% discount on my plan per month via my employer. I still feel like I pay too much for a cellphone. I recently got a phone through work, so I'm looking to drop my phone from our plan, make my wife's phone the primary and get her a new phone.

I need some help with the plan, as well as the phone. Phone wise, my wife mostly does calls and text messaging and occasionally grabs photos for use as a background on the phone. Basically, any phone out right now does that. So for the phone, what is the best cost/value phone that is reliable and good battery life? Edit: Almost forgot, charging through mini USB is preferred.

Plan wise, we have NATIONWIDE LOYALTY FAMILY SHARE PRIMARY 550 MINUTES $50 S4995 110.

Since basically everyone we call is on Verizon, we barely dent these minutes. We would need the unlimited text message plan for $10 as well.

Just looking at the Verizon site, I'm seeing an individual plan for $39.99, then $9.99 for the text messaging.

Is there anything cheaper or is that about as low as it gets?

Uziel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 15, 2009

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Uziel posted:

Country/Provider: USA - Verizon Wireless
Current contract status: No contract
Budget (phone/plan): Less than $100 for the phone, ideally cheap as possible for the plan
Features I know I want: Smaller or same size as a Chocolate 2, good battery life.

Here is the deal. I get a 20% discount on my plan per month via my employer. I still feel like I pay too much for a cellphone. I recently got a phone through work, so I'm looking to drop my phone from our plan, make my wife's phone the primary and get her a new phone.

I need some help with the plan, as well as the phone. Phone wise, my wife mostly does calls and text messaging and occasionally grabs photos for use as a background on the phone. Basically, any phone out right now does that. So for the phone, what is the best cost/value phone that is reliable and good battery life? Edit: Almost forgot, charging through mini USB is preferred.

Plan wise, we have NATIONWIDE LOYALTY FAMILY SHARE PRIMARY 550 MINUTES $50 S4995 110.

Since basically everyone we call is on Verizon, we barely dent these minutes. We would need the unlimited text message plan for $10 as well.

Just looking at the Verizon site, I'm seeing an individual plan for $39.99, then $9.99 for the text messaging.

Is there anything cheaper or is that about as low as it gets?

That's pretty much as low as it gets, regardless of carrier. With your 20% discount, you're at 40/month, which isn't bad (careful of data charges or new phones forcing you to get some sort of dumbphone data plan. Verizon loves its fees and charges).

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Just looking for advice here deciding between the BB Tour and the Droid.

*USA/Verizon

*Just signed new deal and got Tour, but within 30 day period to trade

*Budget not really a huge issue since both phones are similar in cost

*I need a GPS that works, as well as email/sms/browser etc.

Basically I had a Curve and upgraded to the Tour when I signed my new deal. I loved the Curve but had to give it back to my old company. The Tour just doesn't feel right (in particular the GPS is barely functional - always way off) to me and I am thinking about trading for the Droid.

I just checked in here so I haven't read much yet, but it appears the Droid has a lot of fanboys here so tell me why I should get this thing!

Thanks in advance!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Provider: AT&T (US)
Contract: Expired, but I'm on a family plan with contracts outstanding, so no provider switch for me.
Price Range: Free, but really about $100 (after any sort of mail in rebates). I'd really prefer to keep it down, though, if possible.
Other stuff: I just got messaging (!), so I'd really enjoy a QWERTY keyboard. I can't really afford a smartphone plan.

I am certainly willing to spend money if the UI justifies it. Right now, I'm looking at the Moto Karma, but the Moto UI has annoyed the hell out of me in the past. In the "more expensive" category, I'm looking at the LG Xenon.

Thoughts? Is the Xenon worth that much money? I would really appreciate other suggestions, too, although I realize my lower price point preference limits out a lot of nice choices.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 19, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Count Sacula posted:

Just looking for advice here deciding between the BB Tour and the Droid.

*USA/Verizon

*Just signed new deal and got Tour, but within 30 day period to trade

*Budget not really a huge issue since both phones are similar in cost

*I need a GPS that works, as well as email/sms/browser etc.

Basically I had a Curve and upgraded to the Tour when I signed my new deal. I loved the Curve but had to give it back to my old company. The Tour just doesn't feel right (in particular the GPS is barely functional - always way off) to me and I am thinking about trading for the Droid.

I just checked in here so I haven't read much yet, but it appears the Droid has a lot of fanboys here so tell me why I should get this thing!

Thanks in advance!

The Droid is the best phone on Verizon. I'm a huge BlackBerry fan but I'd gladly give up my 8900 for the Droid if I could get it on T-Mobile. Since you're already on Verizon and are currently stomaching their monthly rates, the best choice is the Droid for you.

Boxman posted:

Contract: Expired, but I'm on a family plan with contracts outstanding, so no provider switch for me.
Price Range: Free, but really about $100 (after any sort of mail in rebates). I'd really prefer to keep it down, though, if possible.
Other stuff: I just got messaging (!), so I'd really enjoy a QWERTY keyboard. I can't really afford a smartphone plan.

I am certainly willing to spend money if the UI justifies it. Right now, I'm looking at the Moto Karma, but the Moto UI has annoyed the hell out of me in the past. In the "more expensive" category, I'm looking at the LG Xenon.

Thoughts? Is the Xenon worth that much money? I would really appreciate other suggestions, too, although I realize my lower price point preference limits out a lot of nice choices.

Here's what you should do instead of buying some terrible dumbphone.

• Get an iPhone 3G from AT&T for $99
  • Unlock and jailbreak iPhone, sell it on SA-Mart/Craigslist/eBay for $300-$400
  • Call AT&T and remove data from iPhone telling them you sold it
  • Use funds from iPhone sale to buy a Nokia 5800 or a Nokia E63

Now you'll have a good phone, note, good even though S60 is outdated. Plus you'll also have extra funds to spare. You can add the $15 dumbphone data even though it's for smartphones, the unlocked Nokias will go unnoticed by AT&T's system.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

Contract: Been expired for about 2 months. Wouldn't mind going into one again.

Price Range: I'd say around 45-50. Up to maybe 100 on a new phone (after rebates)

Other stuff: With ATT, I'm paying roughly 68 a month for only 450 minutes and 1000 texts. It seems high, that and I need a new phone since the one I'm currently using is dying out (Samsung SYNC). Don't use internet really. I'd say I use maybe 500 texts a month, I type them out the old style way with the keypad since I can't be bothered to turn on dictionary mode, that and I've never actually used a QWERTY for texting. Long story short, I don't make a ton of calls, I use texting only a fair amount, and I'm just having trouble figuring out where to head now.

T-Shaped fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 20, 2009

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Provider: T-Mobile (USA)
Contract: Expired I guess? Had this phone for over 2 years at least.
Price Range: Free up to $50ish
Features:
  • Make and receive calls, not a fancy smartphone
  • Any form factor, bar/flip/slider/whatever
  • When locked/closed, phone shows time AND date (both month name and number would be nice)
  • Works with USB for charging, either mini-USB on the phone or regular USB on the other end of the cable that can plug into a USB AC power adapter
  • Durable
  • Good standby battery life

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

T-Shaped posted:

Contract: Been expired for about 2 months. Wouldn't mind going into one again.

Price Range: I'd say around 45-50.

Other stuff: With ATT, I'm paying roughly 68 a month for only 450 minutes and 1000 texts. It seems high, that and I need a new phone since the one I'm currently using is dying out (Samsung SYNC). Don't use internet really. I'd say I use maybe 500 texts a month, I type them out the old style way with the keypad since I can't be bothered to turn on dictionary mode, that and I've never actually used a QWERTY for texting. Long story short, I don't make a ton of calls, I use texting only a fair amount, and I'm just having trouble figuring out where to head now.

You can save some money if you switch to Sprint. Get the EPRP Messaging 500 plan (see the Sprint megathread). It includes
  • 500 anytime minutes
  • unlimited nights/weekends starting at 7pm
  • unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and
  • unlimited text messaging
  • for $39.99/month before taxes.
Use the $20/month you save on the plan ($480 over the 2 year agreement) to get yourself a nice phone.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

SamDabbers posted:

You can save some money if you switch to Sprint. Get the EPRP Messaging 500 plan (see the Sprint megathread). It includes
  • 500 anytime minutes
  • unlimited nights/weekends starting at 7pm
  • unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and
  • unlimited text messaging
  • for $39.99/month before taxes.
Use the $20/month you save on the plan ($480 over the 2 year agreement) to get yourself a nice phone.

I'm looking at them and it seems like only certain phones allow for that 39.99 deal, any in particular you reccomend? On the other hand, would it be worth it to jump on the $1 Palm Pre ship?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

T-Shaped posted:

I'm looking at them and it seems like only certain phones allow for that 39.99 deal, any in particular you reccomend? On the other hand, would it be worth it to jump on the $1 Palm Pre ship?

Just like AT&T, Sprint requires you to get a full data plan if you get a smartphone (Android, Windows Mobile, Palm WebOS). Since you said you don't really use the Internet but text a bit, a "featurephone" (halfway between a smartphone and a dumphone) would probably work fine for you. I'd say look at the Samsung Reclaim or the LG Lotus if you want a QWERTY messaging phone.

On the other hand, if you're looking to get a smartphone then you can either go with the $59.99/month EPRP Data 500 plan and pay the regular new line price for a phone, or pay $69.99/month for the standard Everything Data 450 plan (same as EPRP but 50 minutes less and $10 more/month) and get a $1 phone. Here's the cost breakdown:

With EPRP you'd save $10/month over 2 years (vs. the regular plan) which equates to $240. For the $1 deal to be worth your while, you'd have to get a phone you'd pay at least $240 for with EPRP. If you work for a company that uses Sprint, or bank with a credit union, you can usually get an employee discount which is anywhere from 10%-25% off which can be applied to the regular plan, which could make it more worth your while to go with the $1 phone deal.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

With EPRP you'd save $10/month over 2 years (vs. the regular plan) which equates to $240. For the $1 deal to be worth your while, you'd have to get a phone you'd pay at least $240 for with EPRP. If you work for a company that uses Sprint, or bank with a credit union, you can usually get an employee discount which is anywhere from 10%-25% off which can be applied to the regular plan, which could make it more worth your while to go with the $1 phone deal.

Even with just a 10% discount, the $1 deal is usually a better deal for ~4 years (assuming a new phone every 2). 10% Makes you spend $72 more/2 years than eprp, but you spend 150-200 less on a phone out the gate. If you can get a 25% discount, it's a loving amazing deal. It looks like after discount, taxes/fees, and ebill credit I pay less than 100/month for a 2 line EDP.

GrapeSoda
Oct 22, 2008
I have had a Motorola Razr V3xx for a few years now and its starting to show it's wear and tear. It was a solid phone but I think it is time to upgrade.

Provider: AT&T (USA)
Contract Status: Upgrade available on a family plan.
Price Range: Preferably free, but willing to go up to about $50
Features:
  • Durable. I've mostly had Motorola phones and they've always been very sturdy.
  • Would really like mini-USB charger/data. A lot of my other electronics share the same connector
  • Good camera. Preferably better than my V3xx.
  • Maybe a keyboard. Just been getting into texting but still don't do it too much.
  • Don't know if this still works but my old phone I was able to put a couple open source java games on it. Need my sudoku.

Downs Patrol
Dec 16, 2004

my reputation is built upon a solid foundation of bananas
Time to upgrade my brick of a flip phone (those exist still?)

Provider: AT&T (USA) , sprint , verizon
Contract Status: Start new 2yr
Price Range: Preferably free, but willing to go up to about $150ish
Features:

3g , upgradeable sd card, gps , perferably slideout qwerty keypad , and the gross amount of features most other phones have.

Phones i like are,

iphone 3gs, moment, imagio, palm pre

For a service plan, perferably something for unlm txt and data, voice i need around 450 mins or so.

With the transition of all new phones needing a data, its hard to compare providers. Im pretty open, i just dont want to get nickle and dimed on taxes and surcharges every month.

Must also offer a mil discount that is decent

Caveman Paws
May 11, 2007
wearing funny t-shirts since 1985
•Country/Provider:USA (CA)

•Current contract status:None

•Budget (phone/plan):40-60/month

•Features I know I want:Email, txt, possible long distance to canada (if affordable)

Basically, moving to California from Canada. Unfortunatly I have a contract in Canada, but it would be expensive to keep using that phone in California.

I don't want another contract in the US, and I am willing to pay for the phone, but I don't know where to get it because I want something that I could possibly use in canada when/if I move back.

Pandabox
Oct 1, 2009

British ψ Guy
Life ♥♥♥♥
Magic ★★★★
Okay so I am currently rocking a Sony Ericsson K800i

This phone has been great to me, so easy to customize and durable as a rock. I have a good MP3/Video player so I don't really use it for media as Sony Ericsson headphone jacks are awful. I've been more interested in using a phone to dick around on the internet but don't really facebook or twitter much, more just looking at random stuff on the bus.

I love the idea of having a useful apps machine, but hate the idea of having a touch screen as I prefer buttons. I have about £80-100 to spend and i'm currently on an 02 Genie Sim (£10 whenever, free texts, cheaper calls after 3mins, cashback every quarter.)

So what can you guys recommend?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The Sony Ericsson W995 is my pick for best dumbphone on planet earth right now. It's got a 3.5 jack, an SD slot, and (according to Engadget's review) phenomenal audio fidelity. I don't know what kind of deal you can work over in the UK with O2 and contract renewals and junk, but in the United States we have to pony up $399 from Amazon to get an unlocked version with NAM 3G.

My brother's using the NAM version of the K800 and he's saving his pennies for a W995 pretty hardcore right now.

Pandabox
Oct 1, 2009

British ψ Guy
Life ♥♥♥♥
Magic ★★★★
It looks amazing but I think it's way out of my price range unless I go contract. I'll have to shop around.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Sorry, I misread your post -- I thought you said you were looking for a phone that's a good mp3 player. If you don't want to use your phone as an audio player replacement, the W995 is overkill.

You're not going to find many phones without touchscreens that are the best at web browsing: a large screen (that's pleasant for browsing) and a touchscreen pretty much go hand-in-hand. If you're okay getting something with a touchscreen and a slideout keyboard for typing on (alleviating most people's complaint with touchscreens), there are a lot of good choices.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Downs Patrol posted:

Time to upgrade my brick of a flip phone (those exist still?)

Provider: AT&T (USA) , sprint , verizon
Contract Status: Start new 2yr
Price Range: Preferably free, but willing to go up to about $150ish
Features:

3g , upgradeable sd card, gps , perferably slideout qwerty keypad , and the gross amount of features most other phones have.

Phones i like are,

iphone 3gs, moment, imagio, palm pre

For a service plan, perferably something for unlm txt and data, voice i need around 450 mins or so.

With the transition of all new phones needing a data, its hard to compare providers. Im pretty open, i just dont want to get nickle and dimed on taxes and surcharges every month.

Must also offer a mil discount that is decent

Verizon does offer a 15% mil discount and that also extends to devices and accessories. I would go with the Droid on Verizon. THe Droid is the best phone on the market currently. The Imagio is WM and is therefore crap. The Moment is alright, but the Droid is a better phone. The 3GS is also great but AT&T really isn't. Plus you said that you'd prefer a slideout QWERTY and the Droid has that in a package that's about as thin as the iPhone.

Pandabox
Oct 1, 2009

British ψ Guy
Life ♥♥♥♥
Magic ★★★★

kalibar posted:

If you're okay getting something with a touchscreen and a slideout keyboard for typing on (alleviating most people's complaint with touchscreens), there are a lot of good choices.

Okay, let's drink the Touchscreen Kool-Aid, what are my options?

Also thanks for your patience! :kiddo:

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Pandabox posted:

Okay, let's drink the Touchscreen Kool-Aid, what are my options?

Also thanks for your patience! :kiddo:
On the cheap end, check out the HTC Magic and the HTC Dream. The Dream has a hardware keyboard and sells for about $200-250 USD brand new here in the States; the Magic is the same phone but drops the keyboard in favor of a thinner, nicer form factor and some much-needed extra RAM. Both run Android and have a really good web browser; however neither have a headphone jack and neither are as cutting-edge as the Motorola Droid (which will cost much more if it's even available in your region, but has a bigger higher-resolution screen and a faster, more modern processor).

If a decent web browsing experience is your only priority in a phone, you won't find a better bang-for-buck proposition than the Magic and Dream right now. Sadly, neither offers a camera as nice as your K800's. Cellphone shopping is still a task wrought with compromises, unfortunately.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
I am getting in to the business of insurance and need a hefty upgrade from my terrible prepaid phone. I will be taking calls at all hours of the day, doing a majority of my business on the phone, and would prefer internet access and the ease of texting/calling clients quickly. Everyone at work seems to be using a BlackBerry, but I'm open to anything good.

Provider: Net10, open to any new provider.
Contract Status: No contract currently, open to reasonable contracts.
Price Range: Looking for a good phone at a decent price. Just really need a decent smartphone that's reliable. Phone would need to be under 200$ and plans under 50$ a month, if at all possible.

Preferences: Internet, email, google maps/gps (the gps is very important since I will be doing house calls)

Any suggestions? I'm a complete phone newbie so if this is impossible please let me know! Thanks in advance for any tips.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Litch991 posted:

I am getting in to the business of insurance and need a hefty upgrade from my terrible prepaid phone. I will be taking calls at all hours of the day, doing a majority of my business on the phone, and would prefer internet access and the ease of texting/calling clients quickly. Everyone at work seems to be using a BlackBerry, but I'm open to anything good.

Provider: Net10, open to any new provider.
Contract Status: No contract currently, open to reasonable contracts.
Price Range: Looking for a good phone at a decent price. Just really need a decent smartphone that's reliable. Phone would need to be under 200$ and plans under 50$ a month, if at all possible.

Preferences: Internet, email, google maps/gps (the gps is very important since I will be doing house calls)

Any suggestions? I'm a complete phone newbie so if this is impossible please let me know! Thanks in advance for any tips.

Sprint everything data (or simply everything if you make lots of landline calls), hop on the $1 deal while you can and get either a hero, moment, or tour.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I'm helping my mother look for a new phone, and would like some recommendations.

Provider: T-Mobile
Contract Status: Her line is still under contract, but other lines on our plan aren't so could still get a subsidized phone if there was a good one.
Price Range: Whatever, as long as it's worth it. $400 or less would be an easier sell.

She currently has a Blackberry curve, which is on it's way out. She'd like something with a much larger screen, though not necessarily touch. Exchange sync is a must. She's expressed interest in the Blackberry Storm and HTC Touch Pro 2. Are they good? What other phones should I look at?

Bonefish
Jul 29, 2008
Our 4 Person ATT plan runs out soon!

The plan consists of my brother, my parents and I. My brother and I want Internet on our phones, more specifically, we would like to get a an Android (2.0 hopefully) or and iPhone. Our parents do not need internet, but it kind of looks like it’s all or nothing with most plans. We hardly need any minutes, but pretty much need unlimited text (though 1500 a mo. Isn’t killing us at the moment).

Our goal is to get as close to $130 a month as possible.

Also, Is it possible (or getting close to being possible) to get an Android Phone on Cricket, they seems like they have the best priced plan out there.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Bonefish posted:

Our 4 Person ATT plan runs out soon!

The plan consists of my brother, my parents and I. My brother and I want Internet on our phones, more specifically, we would like to get a an Android (2.0 hopefully) or and iPhone. Our parents do not need internet, but it kind of looks like it’s all or nothing with most plans. We hardly need any minutes, but pretty much need unlimited text (though 1500 a mo. Isn’t killing us at the moment).

Our goal is to get as close to $130 a month as possible.

Also, Is it possible (or getting close to being possible) to get an Android Phone on Cricket, they seems like they have the best priced plan out there.

If cost is your biggest concern, Sprint EPRP Family Plan, 4 lines is $139/month + tax, 1600 minutes, free calls to any wireless phone on any carrier, unlimited text and data on all lines, Sprint Nav (turn by turn) is also included.

They have Android phones and the new Palm phones are easy enough for tech-impaired parents to learn pretty quickly. Since you get the free data, might as well get phones that can use it.

Bonefish
Jul 29, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

If cost is your biggest concern, Sprint EPRP Family Plan, 4 lines is $139/month + tax, 1600 minutes, free calls to any wireless phone on any carrier, unlimited text and data on all lines, Sprint Nav (turn by turn) is also included.

They have Android phones and the new Palm phones are easy enough for tech-impaired parents to learn pretty quickly. Since you get the free data, might as well get phones that can use it.

That sounds perfect.

Is EPRP a employee referral plan? Or can I just go into a store and get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Bonefish posted:

That sounds perfect.

Is EPRP a employee referral plan? Or can I just go into a store and get it?

It's an employee referral plan, and you have to order online. They ship your phones overnight though, so it's not a huge inconvenience. The good news is that you don't have to know a Sprint employee personally, since one of their VPs put his info out there for people to use just for this purpose. Check out the Sprint megathread for details.