Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

notro man posted:

I think a camera will be the next thing I buy. Tired of taking pictures with my cell phone.

Looks great! Also nice to see someone else bucking the trend of putting the PC case on top of the desk, instead of under it.

KingOMtDew posted:

Desk, with craptastic homemade shelf holding printer and radios. Computer is the big, shiny toolbox.

Although if you have to put the PC on the desk, that's a cool way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty_Ferguson
Mar 29, 2004

AND IT GOES A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS
To all the people with Mac/PCs and Xbox 360s hooked up to an external monitor and speakers, what are you using to switch the video and audio between the computer and the Xbox? Just an alternate input on the monitor with the Xbox VGA cable? Or a KVM switch type of thing? How about the audio? I've been looking at various options, and I'm not sure what will get the best results or be more convenient for flipping back and forth. I can go into more detail about my laptop/monitor/speakers if it makes any difference.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Can you not chose the video input you want to use, as you do with TVs? As for the sound, connect the red-white RCA cables to mic-in or line-in on your sound card (with the 2-1 converter thingie). I don't know. Actually, I'd like to know how you guys do it, since I'm going to go that route with my 360 eventually.

Unrelated question: I love those sweet portrait monitor setups, but how does one go about getting one of those? I've looked around on Newegg and out of the 100 or so monitors they've got, only a few can be pivoted to portrait mode. Not to mention those do not meet my other selection criteria. Is there something I don't understand here?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Mighty_Ferguson posted:

To all the people with Mac/PCs and Xbox 360s hooked up to an external monitor and speakers, what are you using to switch the video and audio between the computer and the Xbox? Just an alternate input on the monitor with the Xbox VGA cable? Or a KVM switch type of thing? How about the audio? I've been looking at various options, and I'm not sure what will get the best results or be more convenient for flipping back and forth. I can go into more detail about my laptop/monitor/speakers if it makes any difference.

I have my Playstation 2 hooked up through my monitor/computer speakers. I'm sure a 360 would be essentially the same, so here's how I do it.

The PS2 is hooked up via S-Video to my monitor, which lets me swap (and PiP!) between inputs as expected. The RCA-outs on the PS2 are hooked up to my wonderful speakers via the auxillary-in port on the front. (kind of looks ugly, but meh) This is an always-on sort of connection, but since I don't always have my PS2, it's no big deal. I just fire the console up, switch video inputs, and I'm good to go. The sound is mixed, so if my computer makes a noise while I'm playing a game, it comes through as well.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

internet inc posted:

Unrelated question: I love those sweet portrait monitor setups, but how does one go about getting one of those? I've looked around on Newegg and out of the 100 or so monitors they've got, only a few can be pivoted to portrait mode. Not to mention those do not meet my other selection criteria. Is there something I don't understand here?

Get a separate VESA mount stand. There is nothing magical about portrait mode. Any LCD can do it as long as the stand gan rotate, and as long as the monitor is VESA mountable you can get a stand for it. Monoprice even sells rotatable adjustable vesa mounts for monitors.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

Mighty_Ferguson posted:

The monitor I have has HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs. HDMI=xbox, DVI/audio line in=Mac
I just switch using the input selector button on the monitor.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I realized my desk was missing like 3-4 common themes here so I added them in and took updated shots.

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN

Cables are messy, but whatever. :effort: Temporary livingspace - the house is old as hell so wires have to be run oddly.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
@benisntfunny: Is that Doritos and Mountain Dew that I see on your desk?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
And a knife, and a Matrix screensaver!

:golfclap:

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

beefnoodle posted:

And a knife, and a Matrix screensaver!

:golfclap:

That's only 1 screen of Matrix screensaver, pfft.

(not my desk, I just put together the machines driving it, also it's been downgraded from 2 tiers to 1 tier :smith:)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ragzilla posted:

(not my desk, I just put together the machines driving it, also it's been downgraded from 2 tiers to 1 tier :smith:)

Makes me want to go bowling..

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

ragzilla posted:

Makes me want to do a super duper long cat.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

benisntfunny posted:

I realized my desk was missing like 3-4 common themes here so I added them in and took updated shots.

What is model is the grey and black keyboard? Thanks!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Is that a TV up above the desk? Isn't that a bit hard to see?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Vinlaen posted:

Is that a TV up above the desk? Isn't that a bit hard to see?

Keyboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126022

edit:
I wanted to label all the things in my picture with Paint.exe but was too lazy.

The following things were added for special effect: Matrix Screen Saver, Strange Kitchen knife, mountain dew can (but it's not opened because I don't actually drink mountain dew and I didn't want to waste my roommate's soda), Doritos, Showing off of the Cellphone, eReader, misc papers with writing on them to signify my importance, app dev apps open on one screen and Steam account on the other, my wallet, a fat lens cap.

None of those things are typically on my desk; I just want to fit in.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 3, 2009

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Cleaned things up a bit and reorganized my work flow since I'm pretty much not going to be traveling from now on. Moved the 2nd monitor on the testbed PC on the left to the opposite corner of the cube for machine image testing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

devmd01 posted:

Cleaned things up a bit and reorganized my work flow since I'm pretty much not going to be traveling from now on. Moved the 2nd monitor on the testbed PC on the left to the opposite corner of the cube for machine image testing.

Why is it whenever I see a Cisco phone in a picture, it has the voicemail light lit up?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

devmd01 posted:

If you can use the space on your left, I'd move your papers and phone there.

Unless your wife is pregnant and nine months late and you're feeling antsy.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Why did you put the machines on the desktop? Stack them vertically on the floor instead.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Crowley posted:

Why did you put the machines on the desktop? Stack them vertically on the floor instead.

Some people like to vacuum

villadelfia
Nov 4, 2009

My main desk. (I threw the original away, I just now noticed the horrible "tachnical" typo.)

My television corner.
Not pictured: 2 more walls completely filled like that.

villadelfia fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Slowly trying to organize and clean my desk... I feel like I'm just putting too much stuff on it though.

Click here for the full 1824x1368 image.

At least my desk at school isn't a mess.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

villadelfia posted:

My main desk. (I threw the original away, I just now noticed the horrible "tachnical" typo.)

My television corner.

The cardboard arcade controller is hilarious when considered against that DJ Dao. :fap:

villadelfia
Nov 4, 2009

glompix posted:

The cardboard arcade controller is hilarious when considered against that DJ Dao. :fap:

I'm just waiting until a friend has time to help to make a proper wooden casing, it works fine though.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Not an Anthem posted:

Yes, I know. I do that myself. :confused:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Not an Anthem posted:

Don't try and justify people being goony. It's plenty easy to vacuum with a computer on the floor.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

benisntfunny posted:

Don't try and justify people being goony. It's plenty easy to vacuum with a computer on the floor.

And plenty easy to open the case after six months and clear out the dust bunny reunion going on inside.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

ptier posted:

And plenty easy to open the case after six months and clear out the dust bunny reunion going on inside.

When I first opened mine after a few months it was more like a blizzard had just hit Alaska. It was like clearing the dust blanket off of your dryer.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Cizzo posted:

When I first opened mine after a few months it was more like a blizzard had just hit Alaska. It was like clearing the dust blanket off of your dryer.

You probably have radiant heat of some kind, vs forced air? my friend moved from an apt. with radiators to a newish house that has forced air. At both places he was/is incredibly anal about cleaning everything all the time. Literally if someone was in his kitchen and they dropped a crumb he would stop what he was doing and pick it up.
His PC was always clogged with dust at his apt. He dusted it out probably weekly. Now at his house, he hasn't needed to dust it out yet, in the 8 months living there. The difference is the furnace blower circulating the air through the filter.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

villadelfia posted:

My television corner.

goddamn, dude

damn you grandpappy!
Dec 4, 2003

For my birthday I got this poorly photoshopped Jewday cake, and a lick of Funky's penis.

Philip J Fry posted:

I had to recable *everything* just so I could stick the AC unit back in the window. 90º in the Puget Sound? In June? In a 90 year old house on the third floor? Well, it was worth the trouble afterall. Of course the unfinished concrete basement is a nice 67º, but I don't want to be that guy.

Woah, whats up, Black-faceplate-on-a-white-xbox brother

I will try to stop living like poo poo so I can take a picture of my new setup in my new place!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

villadelfia posted:

My television corner.

I think I know you...

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.

Mr. Despair posted:

Slowly trying to organize and clean my desk... I feel like I'm just putting too much stuff on it though.

Click here for the full 1824x1368 image.

At least my desk at school isn't a mess.

Bonus points for the sweet, sweet Phantom love.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Found my desk in a dumpster my old neighbors threw away. Perfectly fine except the keyboard tray was broken, so I tore it out. Looking to get an Ikea desk sometime soon, I'm not a fan of the raised corner where the monitor stands.

I also share my room, so it's a little more cluttered than I'd like...

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

villadelfia
Nov 4, 2009

kimcicle posted:

I think I know you...

My name is villadelfia almost everywhere, so yeah, that could be.

villadelfia fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 5, 2009

damn you grandpappy!
Dec 4, 2003

For my birthday I got this poorly photoshopped Jewday cake, and a lick of Funky's penis.
Finished running my cables last night, but some of them are still visible under the desk, and I am at work. I used so many zip ties... I got a new stand for my monitor that allows it to pivot, but a 16:9 display is too thin and it was making me ill while i was using it in portrait mode :(

The DVI Cable I passed into the bundle of wires is too short now, is there any tricks that I can use to give me more slack without having to redo all my wiring?

I am going to put screws to mount my xbox power supply under the desk, and I want to make it removable in case I wanna bring my 360 somewhere, does anyone know if I can use a regular PC power cable to power it, so I dont have to have the 360s power cable loose in back of my desk?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm thinking about picking up a second Dell 30" monitor today. Trying to decide if this will fit on my Jerker. Does anyone else have this setup?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could always look on the Dell website for the dimensions and get a tape measure out?

Edit: Just saw that you're getting a second one. In which case it's easy to find out. Does the current one use more than half your desk? If yes, then two won't fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

drat you grandpappy! posted:

I am going to put screws to mount my xbox power supply under the desk, and I want to make it removable in case I wanna bring my 360 somewhere, does anyone know if I can use a regular PC power cable to power it, so I dont have to have the 360s power cable loose in back of my desk?

Yes, you can use a standard PC power cable to power the 360's power brick since the former is an IEC C13 connector and the latter has an IEC C18 which work together.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector