Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

revolther posted:

How else can you max-out Crysis 2 on your 45 minute train ride to university?

Pity your battery probably lasts only 23 minutes. Then again, any longer than that and your testicles would be baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PopeOnARope posted:

Trip Report: Windows 7 on a D830.

It's been pretty good for the few days that I've used it, honestly. It's not as fast as I would have liked, but that's what you get on a 2GHz CPU, 4GB DDR2-667 @ CAS5, a 120GB 5400RPM drive, and using far more powerful rigs with it before. I'm really digging it though; things are pretty fast. The only issue I was having was that the laptop was overheating REALLY easily - I'm assuming the quadro card in here wasn't intended for constant use. Due to this, there was some thermal throttling, meaning that the CPU would scale back to 550-600 MHz sometimes. This is bad. I've used RMClock to force it to stay at full tilt, and the effects are to be seen.

I don't really care. I back up my data bi-daily, and have a year and a half of warranty left.

I'm running almost identically spec'd (2.4GHz, rather than 2.0, and my 120GB drive is 7200, rather than 5400) D830. I run all day at full blast (It's my primary workstation at work) without the fan ever running on full. This is also with at least 2 apps running under XPM at all times.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have an Acer Revo 330 that I'm using as an HTPC, but all of the extraneous poo poo that Acer has shoved on this computer is driving me insane. Is there a way I can install a fresh copy of Windows 7 by booting from a USB drive?

John4767
Nov 3, 2009

Sauce.
drat, I have been running the Retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate from MSDN since around Augast, and Its been pretty awesome. I never really had any problems with vista on my desktop, but I know Windows 7 seems to run allot faster. No complaints from me really at all. Just glad Windows 7 wasn't crap like Vista kinda was. Seems like all anyone did for that launch is complain.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

John4767 posted:

drat, I have been running the Retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate from MSDN since around Augast, and Its been pretty awesome. I never really had any problems with vista on my desktop, but I know Windows 7 seems to run allot faster. No complaints from me really at all. Just glad Windows 7 wasn't crap like Vista kinda was. Seems like all anyone did for that launch is complain.

It wasn't crap though. Most of the people complaining never used it.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but what's the recommended backup solution for a personal laptop?

My girlfriend will be getting a new, Windows 7 equipped laptop and I want to make sure we've got sufficient backups of her work. I'd like something like the Time Machine on OSX, but all I really need is reliable, incremental backup to a network share.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mathturbator posted:

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but what's the recommended backup solution for a personal laptop?

My girlfriend will be getting a new, Windows 7 equipped laptop and I want to make sure we've got sufficient backups of her work. I'd like something like the Time Machine on OSX, but all I really need is reliable, incremental backup to a network share.

Built into Windows 7. It'll harass you about setting up a backup in the system tray, just go with it.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Casao posted:

Built into Windows 7. It'll harass you about setting up a backup in the system tray, just go with it.

What exactly is this about? How big of a storage device do you need to backup? I'm assuming it's just talking about system files and not anything on an slave drive?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Johnny B. Goode posted:

It wasn't crap though. Most of the people complaining never used it.

Totally this! I ran vista on my home machine, as well as on my work laptop since it's launch. I didn't have a single complaint after SP1 was released. I adopted Win7 much faster, and have to completely agree that it works better than XP and Vista on identical hardware, even on stuff that could NOT handle Vista. The ONLY thing Vista did wrong was not work as well as 7 (or even xp) does on minimal hardware.

MS did a smart thing and is practically giving 7 away to students and such, who are the perfect age group to not resist the change, and be advocates/installers for their parents and friend's machines.

E: Also, I remember reading MONTHS ago that Win7 was supposed to support multiple video cards with different drivers, ala XP. I can't find a single success story of this in Win7, though, and is the only thing keeping one of my work machines on XP :(

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 3, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Johnny B. Goode posted:

What exactly is this about? How big of a storage device do you need to backup? I'm assuming it's just talking about system files and not anything on an slave drive?

http://lifehacker.com/5144757/first-look-at-windows-7s-backup-and-restore-center

Defaults to system image + libraries, you can add or remove individual files as you choose.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm running almost identically spec'd (2.4GHz, rather than 2.0, and my 120GB drive is 7200, rather than 5400) D830. I run all day at full blast (It's my primary workstation at work) without the fan ever running on full. This is also with at least 2 apps running under XPM at all times.

So, as I had the CPU at redline and was loading it earlier, rightmark was throwing a loving fit about temps being at 90+ C. Time to re-apply thermal grease.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Backup to dropbox. 2GB free online.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PopeOnARope posted:

So, as I had the CPU at redline and was loading it earlier, rightmark was throwing a loving fit about temps being at 90+ C. Time to re-apply thermal grease.

Yeah, definitely something not right there. I rarely ever hit the redline of utilization unless I'm doing flash streaming (outbound) or something similar.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Anyone find a resolution for GPO .bat login scripts for drive mappings not working in Win 7?

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=b2bcafad22f1f2d063015b1c387a25bf&showtopic=721482&pid=590412788&st=0&#entry590412788

I could probably use group policy preference extensions instead of a login script, but that's currently what the policies are set for...

ashby
Nov 3, 2009
installed 7, and it went fine. was concerned because I had heard some horror stories about bad reg. keys. happy so far with it

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ashby posted:

installed 7, and it went fine. was concerned because I had heard some horror stories about bad reg. keys. happy so far with it
Good story, bro! :waycool:

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, definitely something not right there. I rarely ever hit the redline of utilization unless I'm doing flash streaming (outbound) or something similar.

I decided to give my laptop a physical. Opened it up, cleaned off the CPU and GPU, and cleaned out the heatsink's fins. There was dust solid the way through, and the thermal pads looked pretty dry. Current operating temps have dropped 30c.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
Having used VLC to solve my codec woes for so long, can someone recommend me a a good codec pack so I can go back to using WMP when I install my Windows 7 Pro later?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

^^^ :google: for Shark007. There's a base package and then a 64bit add-on pack. Plays most everything thru WMP and MCE natively after installation

UserNotFound posted:

Totally this! I ran vista on my home machine, as well as on my work laptop since it's launch. I didn't have a single complaint after SP1 was released. I adopted Win7 much faster, and have to completely agree that it works better than XP and Vista on identical hardware, even on stuff that could NOT handle Vista. The ONLY thing Vista did wrong was not work as well as 7 (or even xp) does on minimal hardware.
Did this too. Bought a PC just before launch so I got the free upgrade so I went ahead and clean installed Vista(home prem) when it arrived. It wasn't revolutionary or mindblowing or anything, but it worked just fine and had some neato little features. After about 2 months I had some goofy idea that "OK this is cool and all but Ill just reinstall XP like I had, no bigdeal" I think it was a software issue that wasn't quite up to par on Vista yet.

I swear, even after just those couple months, XP seemed totally retarded in the "little things" department and seemed almost unusable for my home/entertainment PC. Reinstalled Vista about a week later and didn't look back.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

osigas posted:

Having used VLC to solve my codec woes for so long, can someone recommend me a a good codec pack so I can go back to using WMP when I install my Windows 7 Pro later?

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/ ?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

osigas posted:

Media Player Classic Home Cinema

I usually snag it from http://www.xvidvideo.ru/

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ashby posted:

What the hell does this mean?

"bad reg. keys"?

Bad registration keys? Bad registry keys?

What horror stories?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

incoherent posted:

Backup to dropbox. 2GB free online.

This is a terrible idea. Dropbox is slow, it's a free service with no guarantees and it's designed to sync files between systems, not be used as a backup.

osigas posted:

Seconding the Shark007 codec pack thing - it works, it's mindlessly simple. I use it for streaming via MCE to my 360.

MPCHC is definitely the way to go for watching videos on the pc though.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

Xenomorph posted:

What the hell does this mean?

"bad reg. keys"?

Bad registration keys? Bad registry keys?

What horror stories?

I think what he's referring to is that there are a lot of people using the upgrade media to upgrade, and some are finding that when they blow away the old windows installation that they can't activate 7 with their registration key. It can't find the old version of windows, or it thinks it's supposed to be for a full install, or something. It's really unclear what's happening because it's not well documented.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

thedavid posted:

I think what he's referring to is that there are a lot of people using the upgrade media to upgrade, and some are finding that when they blow away the old windows installation that they can't activate 7 with their registration key. It can't find the old version of windows, or it thinks it's supposed to be for a full install, or something. It's really unclear what's happening because it's not well documented.

I recommend staying away from Upgrades and even upgrade licenses.

Upgrade installs can be a lot of trouble. Upgrade versions of an OS not only are not "full" licenses that can be easily transferred, but the only way to make them valid will invalidate your previous Windows license as well, preventing it from being used for another system.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Xenomorph posted:

Upgrade installs can be a lot of trouble. Upgrade versions of an OS not only are not "full" licenses that can be easily transferred, but the only way to make them valid will invalidate your previous Windows license as well, preventing it from being used for another system.

That would be why they cost less than any other license type, yes.

Of course, Windows 7 has had so many deals and freebies available that the price difference was negligible, but as time goes on, I think you'll see that there is a price difference large enough to justify.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Casao posted:

This is a terrible idea. Dropbox is slow, it's a free service with no guarantees and it's designed to sync files between systems, not be used as a backup.

Data backup is actually exactly what it's for. I've been using Dropbox for backups for over a year now with zero problems.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Xenomorph posted:

Maybe if you did it the default way, but unless it's checking the key before formatting the partition via the manager on the CD it's not invalidating keys. I held out on installing until a week before the release, took the RTM, booted from the CD, formatted and installed without a key and put it in a week later after I received the upgrade CD and it went fine. I figured I would had to do the registry trick but didn't. I believe the invalidation bit came into being because, well yes, just because you upgraded does not mean that your old license is now usable elsewhere. It's a matter of legality, not that the old key is permanently banned.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ryokurin posted:

Maybe if you did it the default way, but unless it's checking the key before formatting the partition via the manager on the CD it's not invalidating keys. I held out on installing until a week before the release, took the RTM, booted from the CD, formatted and installed without a key and put it in a week later after I received the upgrade CD and it went fine. I figured I would had to do the registry trick but didn't. I believe the invalidation bit came into being because, well yes, just because you upgraded does not mean that your old license is now usable elsewhere. It's a matter of legality, not that the old key is permanently banned.

I don't think Windows has ever actually invalidated keys, merely that you lose the legal right to use them. Huge hassle to reinstall too, though with the imaging options available, it reduces this a lot.

Apparently, despite Microsoft's saying otherwise, the self-Upgrade trick still works (buy an upgrade, install the proper edition without a key, put in the key and it counts as a valid upgrade license), so it's a way to save some money. Goes against the spirit of the license though.

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Data backup is actually exactly what it's for. I've been using Dropbox for backups for over a year now with zero problems.

I can only speak from personal experience, but when I used it, upload speeds were less than 10k/s, despite having a wide open connection that could do a lot more, the interface wasn't particularly attractive, and it didn't deal with multiple folders well. This could've all changed, but I'd still pick something using Amazon S3 for online backup.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Casao posted:

I can only speak from personal experience, but when I used it, upload speeds were less than 10k/s, despite having a wide open connection that could do a lot more, the interface wasn't particularly attractive, and it didn't deal with multiple folders well. This could've all changed, but I'd still pick something using Amazon S3 for online backup.

I know this is pretty much just anectodal evidence vs. anecdotal evidence, but Dropbox uploads and downloads almost always max out my connection. I don't really get your complaint about an unattractive interface, since it's literally just the Windows shell, and folder management has never given me any headaches.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I know this is pretty much just anectodal evidence vs. anecdotal evidence, but Dropbox uploads and downloads almost always max out my connection. I don't really get your complaint about an unattractive interface, since it's literally just the Windows shell, and folder management has never given me any headaches.

I used it right after it came out last October, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes. It's useful as a way to sync files across the web, but I don't see it as backup.

I have gone over to the Live Mesh side though, so I'm basing what I want from a UI on that. Nice list that lets you show where/when changes were made, Devices list that shows when a computer is connected (and gives you a very nice RDP client which I think uses VPN?).

revolther
May 27, 2008
Will Windows Live Mesh let you upload folders full of files now? I tried it out a while ago, but found it annoying lacking that function.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

revolther posted:

Will Windows Live Mesh let you upload folders full of files now? I tried it out a while ago, but found it annoying lacking that function.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, I've got it set to sync my Eye-Fi directory, which is a Folder which contains sub-folders which contain files, and it works fine. Is that what you were asking?

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Casao posted:

Seconding the Shark007 codec pack thing - it works, it's mindlessly simple. I use it for streaming via MCE to my 360.

MPCHC is definitely the way to go for watching videos on the pc though.
Streaming to my 360 is exactly the reason I was looking for a codec pack, will definitely try this out, cheers.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Casao posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, I've got it set to sync my Eye-Fi directory, which is a Folder which contains sub-folders which contain files, and it works fine. Is that what you were asking?
I meant with a browser, I know it supports drag'n'drop of files onto the Live Mesh Desktop but not folders.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PopeOnARope posted:

Now that I've (finally) upgraded my work D830 to 4GB ram, I think it's time to load 7 x64. Is there anything I should know or watch out for?
I have a D830 on 7x64 and I only needed a toupad driver to get scrolling to work

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

revolther posted:

I have mesh back up my documents folder and several others. Its a great service. 5gb of space too!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Also don't forget Windows Live SkyDrive. 25 Gigs of space on that. You have to do it manually and there's a 50 MB filesize limit but it's still pretty rad.

Also, there's this little thing I just found that seems pretty rad if you use online services like this. Gladinet lets you mount online filestorage like google docs and skydrive as drives.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 4, 2009

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Whats the best software to image my entire HD before an upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 14, 2013