Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is California heaven?

If in heaven housing is too expensive, everyone's sticking their nose in places where it doesn't belong, you've got constant wars between the moral brigade and the hippie tardbuckets, there's no budget, and the DMV/CARB are constantly trying to gently caress you, then...yeah, it's heaven.

You get some bad with the good :)

As to what I did on my bikes...still nothing. I should have put the battery tender on the racebike, but I didn't. Still getting things organized to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is California heaven?

Pretty drat close to it.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

ari.gato posted:

Pretty drat close to it.

As a life-long Californian and rider I have to say I despise the weather out here. I don't like warmth and sunshine. I like fog, damp and occasional snow. If I had my druthers I'd live in the first few week of a Chicago winter forever.

That said, days like today where the storms have just moved out, the air is cool and clear, and the mountains are too real in the distance remind me why people moved here in the first place.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

OrangeFurious posted:

As a life-long Californian and rider I have to say I despise the weather out here. I don't like warmth and sunshine. I like fog, damp and occasional snow. If I had my druthers I'd live in the first few week of a Chicago winter forever.

That said, days like today where the storms have just moved out, the air is cool and clear, and the mountains are too real in the distance remind me why people moved here in the first place.

Being an east coast transplant (DC) in Los Angeles for the past year and a half I can safely say that unless I'm snowboarding on it, I don't ever want to see or feel the icey touch of winter for a long long long time. But that's just me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The world is a set of scales you see. For riding too. If you can lane split and the weather is nice, you have to pay a lot of taxes. This is California. If you can lane split and the weather isn't nice, you have to pay a lot of taxes. This is Norway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

The world is a set of scales you see. For riding too. If you can lane split and the weather is nice, you have to pay a lot of taxes. This is California. If you can lane split and the weather isn't nice, you have to pay a lot of taxes. This is Norway.

:xd:

Never change, haha.

Me, I prefer the weather up the coast about 4 hours...Santa Cruz has fog, a little more rain, and is generally cooler than Santa Barbara. For me, that's paradise. Combine that with long summers and gorgeous scenery and I'm sold. Plus it's only a little ways from the greater bay area...I'll go back there one day :)

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Scrapez posted:

That sucks. I feel lucky mine wasn't worse then. Luckily, I felt it cutting out, switched it to reserve and it still was cutting out so I pulled into this business on a corner. The driveway was right there thankfully since I was on a fairly busy street.

There was an alley running behind the business for about 5 of the 8 blocks so I didn't have to worry about getting flattened. I was pretty well drenched with sweat by the time I got to the gas station. I was thankful that it was 44 degrees today.

I have the same issue on my tank (along with many... many... other) the feed from the reserve level is probably clogged. The fuel is covering the feed but just can't get through. Cleaning out the reserve... tube (what the hell are those things called?) would probably fix the issue.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Took it for a ride out to Drumheller and back. It's gettin' nippy out there, I may have to actually put my lining in my Absurdly Warm Jacket.

Figure I'll keep riding as long as the road stays clear of ice and isn't too heavily graveled.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Needed to redo the fork seals on my friend's bike.

Entirely jury-rigged a setup to get the bike up off it's front wheel. Then removed the forks, and stripped them down completely. Cleaned everything off, added new seals, refilled with fresh oil and mounted back on the bike. First fork took a few hours to strip and rebuild, 2nd took about 20 mins.

Tomorrow evening sees the turn of the chain and sprockets to be sorted.

Now we'll just need to find out why the front brake pads are rubbing.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Today i turned this...

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

...into this

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Tomorrow i'll break the brake caliper, forks and wheels in parts, then send everything for painting...

Chris, what have i done...

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 19, 2009

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
more of a what I did this weekend post, but anyway...

My wife loves riding on the back of my GS, but she absolutely hates the stock pegs. They caused pressure on a nerve in the arch of her foot no matter what shoes she wore, and made her miserable after about 30 minutes on the bike - not good at all.

Of course, being that we're on a 30 year old bike, there wasn't anything listed in the books that would fit. So Friday we took the bike to Central Texas Powersports and found that the Kuryakyn model 8811 Yamaha rear peg adapters matched up almost perfectly, allowing us to bolt on a set of Iso-Wing floorboards (http://bit.ly/3p8rKC). The result?
http://ravensys.net/sa/rearfloorboard.jpg

Success! She's much happier with no pain in her feet. We were able to stay out riding Friday and Saturday evening, again Sunday night too. They won't flip up due to the size, but that's not an issue for me so I don't care

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I rounded off two of the four 8mm bolts holding the oil screen on the '82 Goldwing. gently caress. I hope that getting a 6 point combo wrench at Sears is sufficient to solve the problem (I did the damage with a 12 pt wrench). Otherwise...

gently caress, I don't know what "otherwise" is. Drop the engine and break out the extractor I guess, since these fuckers are wedged between the frame and the engine. At least drilling them out will be easy because they're made of loving butter.

[update]
I got the 6 point wrench today and it did the trick. Now I just have to figure out what to do about the metal shavings in the screen, and verify that the bike has oil pressure.

Here's the screen. The cylindrical thing was loose in the screen chamber; I don't know what it is yet:

Here's the oil I scooped out of the chamber with my finger. Lots more junk there; I believe the gold flakes are bearing material. Good times:

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 21, 2009

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Stowed the zx10 away for winter in my parents' garage, just before leaving on honeymoon (to Japan... actually took some pictures of a few bieks over there, which I should post soon...ish). Still need to put it up on stands and take out the battery. But its 150km away now... Curse you scandinavian climate, curse you to hell.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Removed the front wheel and forks on sunday, so we decided to attack the back on monday. Needed to replace the chain and sprockets. Broke the chain riveter removing the old chain, so attacked it with the trusty angle grinder and awesome metal cutting disc.

Then had the moment of complete freakout when we weren't sure if we'd riveted the connecting link together properly. (We only broke the stick off the riveter, it still rivets the stuff together). Very glad I remembered to crack the front sprocket before jacking the bike up.

No paddock stands, so we've had some really . . . interesting jack up methods, involving axle stands and floor jacks. We have given up trying to jack down properly. It's easier to lift the bike off with muscle power. Much easier than working on a car.

*edit* bollocks, bollocks, bollocks. Bloody bike broke down. Zero power. Nada. Fortunately it's not my bike so I wasnae riding it, I just got the phone call to go help. So we pushed the bike a mile home in the drizzling rain. Got the bike back into the lit garage and checked the battery connections. Found that the battery had boiled.

gently caress.

We've replaced the battery once just after the bike was bought. Then bought another one when we replaced the rectifier. But that 2nd battery lasted a lot longer than the first, and it was stressed a lot more. So I reckon there was a problem with the rectifier, but there's another problem as well.

Bloody Nora, just after we'd done all that work on the chain, sprockets, tyres, fork seals, brakes and handlebars.

Now for more troubleshooting.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 20, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jdonz posted:

Post some pics of the Lego when its built, I'd love to see it.
Sorry it took so drat long, I had the thing finished the day after I picked it up. It's a great model, BTW, V-4 POWER!

The instructions include a 2nd model that's a hardtail cruiser, which I might build a while later. The adjustable tension on the shock is pretty fargin' cool.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Rode my bike for the first time in a few weeks, it's been non-stop cold/rain/clouds for something like a month now :(. Crossed 4000 miles today though! Looks like I'll get one more day in tomorrow then I'll probably be putting it away.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Today I discovered that the right "handguard" on the Hyper was broken. It was flopping around because two bits of plastic that attach it to the part that holds the mirror broke off. Due to the fact that the "handguard" houses the mirror and turn signal, it is once again out of commission. I went to the shop to see if they would warranty the part, which costs $160, and told me that they would.

I could buy a set of bar end mirrors and some cheap LED turn signals but I refuse to spend any more money on this loving bike. So I'll wait a few weeks to get my part from Italy and see how long it takes to have to put it back in the shop again. Out of the 12 weeks that I have owned this bike it has been in the shop for 8. And now it will be out of commission for at least two more weeks.

The right front brake caliper is still making noise when braking after backing the bike. I put my finger on the pads trying to see if there is movement and It feels like one of them is moving up when the lever is released. This seems odd to me as I've never heard any other bike exhibit this behavior. I've told the shop about this every time I have taken it in for the other brake problem but they have never told me that it is normal. None of the other bikes in the showroom do it either.

The loud "clacking" noise happens when the lever is released after backing. I was told on another forum that it is the sound of the floating rotors but that can be heard as a sound distinct from the "clack".

Clackity Clack Video!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The brembos on my racebike do that too. It's the pad slapping up against something as you apply pressure to the lever. I'm not sure what it is about the brakes that causes that, but I've never had a problem with it in about 2000 miles of track riding and racing. I think there's something about the design of the rotors/pads/calipers that causes them to either retract a little further so they slap against the rotor when you apply pressure or there's a small amount of play in the pad that causes that clacking noise. Mine will do it going forward or backwards and i can make it go away by being very gentle with the lever and make it worse by tapping it instead of smoothly applying it.

Also you have had the worst goddamn luck with your Hypermotard.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, I've never heard of anyone with so much downtime on a motorcycle, even a ducati.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Lego bike

Awesome, that looks great!

Extremity
Aug 14, 2004

Hand job.
I fell off of it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Ouch, I know how that feels. Your ankle looks intact, It doesn't look like much swelling considering how far out of place things are. Hopefully that's an indication you didn't do much tissue damage. I had a similar injury, and internal bleeding nearly cost me the use of my ankle.

Extremity
Aug 14, 2004

Hand job.

Zool posted:

Ouch, I know how that feels. Your ankle looks intact, It doesn't look like much swelling considering how far out of place things are. Hopefully that's an indication you didn't do much tissue damage. I had a similar injury, and internal bleeding nearly cost me the use of my ankle.

I'm off of my feet for two more months (this happened 2 weeks ago) but yeah, fortunately there was no joint damage. I have some pretty cool/gruesome pics of the leg from when I first got to the ER but I don't know if they're appropriate to post here (I don't normally venture outside of SA Mart/Coupons)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy poo poo man, post the whole story with pics (tagged appropriately, obviously :xd:) in the crash thread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got the DRZ insured and inspected, then put on the Edge tail light I got along with my actual license plate, and removed the toolkit pouch. I tried to de-decal it, but found out that the ones on the tank are apparently under the clearcoat. So now if I remove all but those it'll look even stupider than it already does. :( Also, the connectors that come with the Edge kit are awful and I'm going to redo it as soon as I get somewhere to buy new ones (plus I still need to connect the signals). That said, it looks good.

Before:

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

After:

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

I also got some case covers I need to install, but need to get some silicone adhesive for that.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Extremity posted:

I fell off of it.

Another classic username/post combo.

Sorry about your crash. Hope you heal quickly.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I rode my Speed for an hour or so this afternoon and realized that I really, REALLY need warmer gloves for early/late season riding, holy crap.

The buttons on it are having problems though, so I have to figure out if I can a) fix the buttons or b) how outrageously priced a new pod one would be.

edit, yeah, it's bad, $1200 on bikebandit. :(

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 23, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Endless Mike posted:

I got the DRZ insured and inspected, then put on the Edge tail light I got along with my actual license plate, and removed the toolkit pouch. I tried to de-decal it, but found out that the ones on the tank are apparently under the clearcoat. So now if I remove all but those it'll look even stupider than it already does. :( Also, the connectors that come with the Edge kit are awful and I'm going to redo it as soon as I get somewhere to buy new ones (plus I still need to connect the signals). That said, it looks good.
You could get one of these in white.
http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_69_171&products_id=264

Which should save some weight compared to the stock steel tank to boot, (excluding the weight of the additional fuel you might be carrying.

Of course if you start throwing too much money at a DRZ you'll wind up kicking yourself for not getting a Husky or KTM.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Got the somewhat neglected DR350 out and replaced the Throttle Cable. Learned a Few things;

1. God I miss working on a thumper. Talk about dirt loving simple.
2. This bike has 15 years old trail dirt and dust EVERYWHERE
3. I should repaint the plastic, but I like all the trail scars.
4. That was really loving easy.

I only blasted up and down the street, but the throttle feels 100 times better. Lets hope it fixes the Sticky Rev issue it had been developing, but we'll see later today when I ride it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Took it for a ride and apparently lost my license plate while being a supermoto hooligan in the backstreets going for a leisurely ride.

Dammit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Took it for a ride and apparently lost my license plate while being a supermoto hooligan in the backstreets going for a leisurely ride.

Dammit.
I went and did some skills drills with some SVR guys on the DRZ, and when I got there, one mentioned that I was riding without a plate. I smacked my head. Same thing happened to me. I had *just* put it on, too!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Dammit.

Do you mean the license plate fell off, or your vehicle was forcibly de-registered for road use? :haw:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
got some LEDs for my 6v bmw. hell yeah.

next i need some HIDs up front.

i did a before photo but installing it required caulking it into the reflector, believe it or not, and the sun went down in the time the caulk dried so the ambient light was all off.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

got some LEDs for my 6v bmw. hell yeah.

This is awesome.

are you serious about putting HIDs on that ? I hope you are.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

Dammit.

Happened to me within the first two weeks of bike ownership. Went out and bought some zipties, tightened a new plate onto the bike and haven't had a problem since. Not as aesthetically pleasing as nuts and bolts but it's not like I can see the back of the bike when I'm riding.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Changed the oil filter on the Honda and rode the Buell. I'm trying to get a solid 300+ days of riding in this year, and this week is supposed to be sunny and cold (40-50 degrees), so the Buell is still in service.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

"[working title posted:

"]
This is awesome.

are you serious about putting HIDs on that ? I hope you are.
no.
i would, if they existed, and didn't draw more current than the normal (35w) bulb. but they don't, and even if they did, HID draws more current don't it? i'm hopeful about LED headlights in the future, having read about it in car&driver or something. but it sounds like the technology is real expensive right now.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
It's my understanding that they only draw more current when they just turn on. Afterward it's much less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I rode it (my second bike) home. 2003 Honda ST1300 with 37,000 miles on it.

linked for her pleasure - http://ravensys.net/sa/st/412b.jpg