Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
god drat, italo disco is loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

mezzir posted:

I could not agree with you more, sir.

I really like this choon you posted. A very groovy track indeed. I think it might be even better when it's sped up a bit. :dance:

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig

mezzir posted:

This is some dope poo poo man, keep it up

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah I like all your poo poo too mezzir

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I like this page so far.

Seriously though. Its like I woke up yesterday and suddenly figured out how to be funky.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

I like this page so far.

Seriously though. Its like I woke up yesterday and suddenly figured out how to be funky.

Oh jeez this is neat.

I've been kicking this around all night and it's finally starting to take shape. It's going to need some sort of chopped up acapella going on, but yeah:

sub basssssssssss

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 16, 2009

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mezzir posted:

squidgee posted:

really nice stuff!

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

mezzir posted:

I like this page so far.

This is really sick. You should make it into a full song.

my entry for another remix contest... this time it's Riva Starr

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Volta loving rocks. Longer review + maybe youtube videos coming soon.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

moron posted:

Novation V-Station is a good one to look at. It's old, and doesn't have some of the fancier features of newer synths, but it sounds good and is very easy to use. There's also many great preset banks available, if that's your thing.

It's also really loving cheap.

Unfortunately it also has a notorious tendency to crash Ableton Live.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I was just reading a bit about NI Komplete 6, which I forgot came out last month. All I can say is WOW I'm glad I bought Komplete 5 earlier this year.

They've dropped Acoustic Piano, Electric Piano, B4, AND Pro-53. All discontinued entirely, with no new instruments in the bundle to replace them. These are all fantastic plugins, I use them all the time.

On the upside, Kontakt 4 sounds like it has some interesting new features and I might upgrade to Guitar Rig 4 eventually. There's an Absynth upgrade (which sounds like it adds some new filters and some granular-esque processing) but I've so barely scratched the surface of Absynth that it's a pretty low priority.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

h_double posted:

Electric Piano

This has now been included in its entirety in Kontakt 4.

For your B3 needs, try GSI VB3. Pro-53 was getting kinda long in the tooth anyway.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Yoozer posted:

Pro-53 was getting kinda long in the tooth anyway.

What. Pro-53 is the best vsti ever

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

mezzir posted:

just opened live and put in 8 instances of Massive, each playing every note from c2-c3 on some patch with several effects. Graphically it slowed a bit but the cpu meter never broke 67% and the audio was flawless.

On it's own it's not slow, it hovers around 1-5% when i've just loaded it but theres some presets with it that ramp it right up to 40% when it's set to ultra quality.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Computer Jones posted:

really nice stuff!

Thanks! I've been expanding on it slowly -- I'm really happy with how it's coming along, but it still needs some sort of hook or something to grab interest. Still thinking it'll be chopped up vox.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 17, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Yoozer posted:

This has now been included in its entirety in Kontakt 4.

For your B3 needs, try GSI VB3. Pro-53 was getting kinda long in the tooth anyway.

I realize that Electric Piano is basically just a nice UI wrapped around a few Kontakt sound banks and some effects, but it IS a nice UI; there's something to be said for convenience for ease of use.

And Pro-53, aside from a terrible patch management system, is a fantastic synth.

It looks like NI is basically dumping everything that doesn't fit into the whole Kore paradigm, which is pretty questionable considering that response to Kore has been extremely lukewarm from what I can tell.

(similarly, B4 apparently has been replaced with "57 Drawbar Organ", a sampled sound bank for Kore, which is a shame because I have a hard time imagining a better Hammond-type emulation than B4).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

On it's own it's not slow, it hovers around 1-5% when i've just loaded it [...]
...which in itself is pretty ridiculous if you think about it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

h_double posted:

It looks like NI is basically dumping everything that doesn't fit into the whole Kore paradigm, which is pretty questionable considering that response to Kore has been extremely lukewarm from what I can tell.
I think they're trying to dump everything that was still in "vintage emulation". Arturia's taking that over sort of, now, and Prophet-53 doesn't actually sound like an actual Prophet 5, despite its other qualities.

As for Elektrik - I hope with all my heart that now that they've taken over Scarbee that their Rhodes is released as a Kore pack. That'll give you the simple operation - and, more importantly, a vastly superior set of samples compared to Elektrik. Really, Elektrik is nice, but Scarbee's a total dreamboat.

I now read that they're going to release everything in the coming 8 months and when the Rhodes is there I'm going to be all over it. I seriously love that 70s Kool & The Gang setup - Solina, Rhodes, Minimoog. Right now I've got 2 out of three (an actual Solina and a Studio Electronics SE1x), and Rhodes pianos are expensive as gently caress here so that set is going to be the next best thing.

quote:

because I have a hard time imagining a better Hammond-type emulation than B4).
Go try this. Yes, the UI looks like rear end, but it sounds drat good.

Anyway, I think I did even better; I got Komplete 4 thanks to RivensBitch here, so that means I also have Vokator and Spektral Delay. Awwww yeah. :cool:

melee beats posted:

What. Pro-53 is the best vsti ever

No, Massive is. Thanks for playing, though :v:

wayfinder posted:

...which in itself is pretty ridiculous if you think about it.

Yeah, what are they wasting those cycles on anyway?

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 18, 2009

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

Yoozer posted:

Yeah, what are they wasting those cycles on anyway?
Onboard FX I imagine? They don't just bypass all of a sudden just because the oscillators aren't screaming.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Couple things I've been working on lately. Trying to make things progress more in a techno manner.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Yoozer posted:

No, Massive is. Thanks for playing, though :v:
Does Synthsquad count as one? I'll go with that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Does Synthsquad count as one? I'll go with that.

Yes, but at the moment it's still a bit too CPU-hungry (totally worth it though, love Amber).

Meatsplosion posted:

Onboard FX I imagine? They don't just bypass all of a sudden just because the oscillators aren't screaming.

A lot of sequencers have the option that when silence is detected in an audio track no processing is required.

When your incoming blocks of audio are completely zero there's nothing to process. Leaving it on is kind of lazy. Especially when your plugin doesn't have any external inputs, so you know when to start doing something; when a MIDI signal is coming in.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Think i've got the last track I posted pretty much boxed off now, so I started work on another this weekend.

soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/draft

Feedback would be cool :)
I borrowed a distortion pedal off a mate and went a bit nuts sending my synths through it...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

h_double posted:

I was just reading a bit about NI Komplete 6, which I forgot came out last month. All I can say is WOW I'm glad I bought Komplete 5 earlier this year.

They've dropped Acoustic Piano, Electric Piano, B4, AND Pro-53. All discontinued entirely, with no new instruments in the bundle to replace them. These are all fantastic plugins, I use them all the time.

On the upside, Kontakt 4 sounds like it has some interesting new features and I might upgrade to Guitar Rig 4 eventually. There's an Absynth upgrade (which sounds like it adds some new filters and some granular-esque processing) but I've so barely scratched the surface of Absynth that it's a pretty low priority.

I just got Komplete 6. The Acoustic Piano and Electric Piano discontinuation doesn't matter (to me) as Kontakt comes with some really great multi-sampled pianos, e-pianos and organs.

I don't miss the Pro-53. Massive is the loving balls.

The biggest update to Absynth is a pseudo-random morphing capability between patches. Use the browser to filter the patch selection menu, grab a patch, set the weight of the morph along with a random amount slider, hit morph, and the synth combines osc's, filters, effects, whatever of the selected patch and a random one from the filtered list.

It's not bad as a starting point for new noises if you can't be bothered with starting from scratch again. It doesn't scratch the same random exploration itch as SynPlant, but it's still fun.

Guitar Rig 4 is well worth it.

Reaktor is...Reaktor.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
SHAZAM. More dirty fun music.

http://soundcloud.com/will-ivy/downward-facing-dog

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squidgee posted:

Pretty cool, just the bass synth needs to be more exciting, it just seems way too tame. Distort/compress/less cutoff or something.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

squidgee posted:

the bass has zero grit and just kills the crunkness of the tune. what you need is a sub bass sine with some saturation and compression and then put your square/saw above that with a bandpass wobble and saturation(turn the filter overdrive on, if your using analog which i think you are) and then saturate or bitcrush the bandpass wobble part.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

gently caress
this thing is huge

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

oredun posted:

the bass has zero grit and just kills the crunkness of the tune. what you need is a sub bass sine with some saturation and compression and then put your square/saw above that with a bandpass wobble and saturation(turn the filter overdrive on, if your using analog which i think you are) and then saturate or bitcrush the bandpass wobble part.

IanTheM posted:

Pretty cool, just the bass synth needs to be more exciting, it just seems way too tame. Distort/compress/less cutoff or something.

Well, it looks like I need to look into gritting things up. And no, it's not Analog -- it's an SH-101 patch I sampled layered over a sine wave.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

squidgee posted:

Well, it looks like I need to look into gritting things up. And no, it's not Analog -- it's an SH-101 patch I sampled layered over a sine wave.

the filter sounds so weak i thought it was VA, but if you used the samplers filter that explains it tho. def try the bandpass thing tho, it will really make the bass sound alot nastier. and dont layer the sine until you have already filterd the top end, the sine really mellows a bass out if they are run through the same filter.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

oredun posted:

the filter sounds so weak i thought it was VA, but if you used the samplers filter that explains it tho. def try the bandpass thing tho, it will really make the bass sound alot nastier. and dont layer the sine until you have already filterd the top end, the sine really mellows a bass out if they are run through the same filter.

Clearly the sampler's filters are what's killing me here so I'll have to fiddle with it. I'll give the bandpass a shot. Also the sine is on another track entirely -- I've got the mid bass and the sine grouped and lightly compressed together, but they're totally different tracks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

mezzir posted:

gently caress
this thing is huge

drat dude this is great, you should be releasing an album.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

prom candy posted:

drat dude this is great, you should be releasing an album.

Yeah that mixdown's pretty sick.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
so my internet is all screwed up forcing me to connect with my phone, which sucks, but it does allow me to sink some serious time into production.

So I present you with a new creation.

*edit

I now realize how completely loving inconvenient rapidshare is, and made some effort into getting this onto soundcloud. Aint easy working with big files from a cellphone :V

http://soundcloud.com/turbotrixie/cameo-bitch-011

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 2, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

God damnit i've been busy this last week or two.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Yoozer or someone else, could you tell me how to get those big synth/string washes in old techno? Like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB3QoW4rdS4 (comes in at :44)
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lrckYBTMo (right from beginning)

Are these just synthesized strings, or a preset on some vintage piece ill never get my hands on or what?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

so my internet is all screwed up forcing me to connect with my phone, which sucks, but it does allow me to sink some serious time into production.

So I present you with a new creation.

*edit

I now realize how completely loving inconvenient rapidshare is, and made some effort into getting this onto soundcloud. Aint easy working with big files from a cellphone :V

http://soundcloud.com/turbotrixie/cameo-bitch-011

You tried tindeck?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
file too big. soundcloud will do.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Terrible Horse posted:

Yoozer or someone else, could you tell me how to get those big synth/string washes in old techno? Like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB3QoW4rdS4 (comes in at :44)
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lrckYBTMo (right from beginning)

Are these just synthesized strings, or a preset on some vintage piece ill never get my hands on or what?
Sounds like a supersaw. Basically a bunch of saw oscillators slightly detuned from each other. The classic supersaw is seven oscillators, one at 0, then the rest paired at slightly more detuning (i.e. -10/+10, -20/+20 etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Terrible Horse posted:

Yoozer or someone else, could you tell me how to get those big synth/string washes in old techno?

The second example is sample-based; nothing vintage about it, except for perhaps the source sample - which are only 1 or 2 samples in total. Most sample-based synths nowadays have far more samples per key, which means that they'll have a higher fidelity, while in this case that's exactly what you don't want.

See if http://www.emu.com/promo/proteusvx/welcome.asp can help you.

For the first example, that's trickier, but it also sounds very much sample-based - with a choir layered on top of it.

• Locked thread