Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
You need learn to draw very fast. Also sit next to/in view of mirrors.

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Farrell101 posted:

I've been warned time and time again to draw from life rather than photos if you want to truly understand depth and perspective. Well, I want to do just that. We have a walk in figure drawing session at our local university every thursday from 10 to noon. The only problem is that I work 9-5 monday to friday.

Since I can't have a model stand in front of me for two hours I'm going to need to start drawing strangers in public places. I've done this in the past (on busses and bus stops) but I usually just end up drawing peoples backs which is not really what I want to be sketching. I've decided that I'd like to start drawing in coffee shops and places like that (stationary places with decent lighting) and my question to you is:

+ Do you have any tips on drawing people in public without looking like a total creep?

Check out this post in the drawing lessons thread.

My tips, from personal experience, are as follows;
  • find people who are actively engaged in another activity - if the dude you're drawing is trying to hit on some chick, he's less likely to notice you drawing him.
  • look, draw, look, draw. Don't stare at people while drawing, get a quick look and then look down at your sketchbook. I know this is not what most teachers suggest for drawing the figure, but in a public setting this helps avoid singling you out as a creepist.
  • wear sunglasses if you are outside. This one's easy and it helps a lot.
  • draw quickly. Don't expect to get highly rendered finished pieces out of public figure drawing, use it as an exercise to build up your speed and accuracy.
  • Finally, learn not to care. So what if someone notices you sketching them? I mean, don't go around trying to get noticed, but chances are you are never going to see that particular coffee shop patron again so if they do notice you, simply move on to another subject. Also, if getting "caught" drawing someone weirds you out too much don't draw the staff at whatever place you go to, because you actually will have to see them again.
Have fun, and happy drawing!

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I do this a few times a week, eventually you just get comfortable doing it and better at doing it, so people dont notice or don't care. Good places to go are anywhere there's a lot of people hanging out - cafes, parks, libraries are good, etc. I usually just do a lot of 15-30s sketches until I find someone who's not moving a whole bunch then draw them as long as I can.

I also have never had someone ask me about sketching them, but if someone had an issue I'd just give them the sketchbook page and tell them sorry. And if they were rude I'd probably also tell them they're a douche. But that's just me.

Beat. fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 4, 2009

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I have a lot of drawings of sleeping people. They usually don't mind. This guy was sleeping in a coffeeshop.

Also, occasionally people who see my draw will ask to be drawn, and sometimes they are good models, and sometimes not. (I had a homeless guy do this once, the painting turned out okay but it was a pretty weird experience because he was totally mumbly/crazy).

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

The other thing is that if you're really wanting to do figure work and live in a big city, just look up figure drawing sessions. Outside of the drawing class I take I go to 3 separate sessions every week. They're 3-4 hours and usually about 10 bucks each. Not a bad deal to draw a model for a few hours. I know a guy who used to do 40 hours a week in front of a model when he was in art school and his work is, now, phenomenal. Kind of like a goth version of Alphonse Mucha. But he has been at it for like 10 years or so. Anyway it's a cheap way to rack up those drawing hours.

Farrell101
Feb 8, 2003

by Ozma
Nice, a lot of solid advice. I do live in a "big city" however it's in Newfoundland and that is much smaller than the average big city. We only have the one figure drawing session and it's on Thursdays in the middle of the work day. I have a pretty flexible job however I work in a small team and taking a two hour break in the middle of the day is probably not acceptable. I'm going to hit up a coffee shop tomorrow night after work and try do some life drawing. Thanks everyone.

michigan jack
Mar 12, 2008
I'm considering writing a compilation book (or even several if I separate the subject matter) about legends of buried and sunken treasures, lost mines, and ghost towns. My question is since 99.99% of all known treasure tales and lost mines and locations of ghost towns have already been written down by at least one person who has taken them out of the oral tradition. Should I write this book(s), I am going to find as many sources for each point of subject matter.

What I'm wondering is, when restating information, what do I have to do or not do to avoid plagiarism aside from repeating word-for-word what someone else says or not giving credit for specific thoughts? I am only asking because I am unsure as to how to pick information that isn't specific to an author from what is.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
What's a good font management program for the PC? I'll need to be using one on Monday, and I haven't used a PC for design in years.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I need to apply the same changes (filter, gradient map, contrast) to a ton of images using Photoshop. Is there any way to automate this process?

pipes! posted:

What's a good font management program for the PC? I'll need to be using one on Monday, and I haven't used a PC for design in years.

I've used Extensis Suitcase and it works very well for my needs.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Elder posted:

I need to apply the same changes (filter, gradient map, contrast) to a ton of images using Photoshop. Is there any way to automate this process?

I've used Extensis Suitcase and it works very well for my needs.

Actions.

http://www.dpandi.com/actions/index.html

here's a basic tutorial. Basically, you just press thee record button, do what you want, then hit stop. You can then run those same steps on any number of pictures.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

gmc9987 posted:

Actions.

http://www.dpandi.com/actions/index.html

here's a basic tutorial. Basically, you just press thee record button, do what you want, then hit stop. You can then run those same steps on any number of pictures.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

ghostpower
Apr 14, 2008

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!
Graphic design question. I just got an email from a potential employer asking if I have a lot of "digital-specific experience." What does he mean by this? Is he asking if I can design entirely digital things? Isn't that exactly what graphic design is? It's a strange wording and I just don't get it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
How old is he? A lot of older art directors/employers basically want to know if you know Photoshop/InDesign, etc. Digital as compared to...I don't know, whatever they did before computers.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
OK, got a question about compositing video. I am currently heading up a project with an extremely tight deadline that is going to involve compositing a 2D "minority report" type computer interface (the one where Tom Cruise is manipulating video with his hands) over a video background. So, even though the interface is 2D it is going to have to match rotation and position pretty seamlessly with the background. Is there an easier way of doing this in Aftereffects than simply turning it into a 3D layer and keyframing the positions?

We are limited to using Aftereffects, and cannot purchase any additional plugins. Free plugins are OK, and if they are really cheap (<$100) I can probably convince someone to buy them, but it won't be easy. I know that a lot of high-end production companies have a plugin or program that will allow you to track points in a video for reference and translate those into 3D movement automatically, but I don't know where to begin looking for (cheap) plugins like that.

Thanks a bunch if anyone has any help with this! I'm pretty much a 2D artist myself, I'm not used to this whole newfangled 3D thing quite yet.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
After Effect's built in tracker is probably good enough, YouTube has some decent tutorials.

My only advice would be to shoot with as small of tracking points as you can. A square of white tape is enough, no one wants to paint out a huge X.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

gmc9987 posted:

OK, got a question about compositing video. I am currently heading up a project with an extremely tight deadline that is going to involve compositing a 2D "minority report" type computer interface (the one where Tom Cruise is manipulating video with his hands) over a video background. So, even though the interface is 2D it is going to have to match rotation and position pretty seamlessly with the background. Is there an easier way of doing this in Aftereffects than simply turning it into a 3D layer and keyframing the positions?

We are limited to using Aftereffects, and cannot purchase any additional plugins. Free plugins are OK, and if they are really cheap (<$100) I can probably convince someone to buy them, but it won't be easy. I know that a lot of high-end production companies have a plugin or program that will allow you to track points in a video for reference and translate those into 3D movement automatically, but I don't know where to begin looking for (cheap) plugins like that.

Thanks a bunch if anyone has any help with this! I'm pretty much a 2D artist myself, I'm not used to this whole newfangled 3D thing quite yet.

Are you new to After Effects? If you are or you aren't there's almost always some good tips and handy free plug-ins at videocopilot.net. The man is a god. Every time I have to do something in After Effects (a few times a year) I'll go back there and look for info. Not sure if he has what you're looking for but it can't hurt to check it out. There's a really good tutorial on making a fake passenger side window on a car so that the camera can pass through it that deals with a lot of motion tracking issues.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
The thing about videocopilot.net is you can spot work that's done with the tutorials from a mile away. It's better to just learn the underlying principles elsewhere.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

butterypancakes posted:

The thing about videocopilot.net is you can spot work that's done with the tutorials from a mile away. It's better to just learn the underlying principles elsewhere.

I don't disagree but when someone mentions "extremely tight deadline" I'm less concerned about the fundamentals. It depends on if you want to be an After Effects artist or not. I don't, but sometimes I'm stuck having to do motion graphics and that site can jump my brain and get something going in short order.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

butterypancakes posted:

I disagree, if you find a tutorial for an effect/process you need, it's incredibly efficient to follow someone else's instructions and just get your job done. Of course, you need to know what you're looking for, as well as how to adapt it to your project. Most of my own motion graphics was learned by using tutorials; it's a great way to learn different ways of doing things, as well as learning the usage of the tools. I can never conceptualize what a tool does by reading a help menu - it's easier with an example that you recreate yourself.

That said, it's also really easy to fall into a trap of adding gimmick on top of gimmick with tutorials. But I still believe it's useful to do them, just for practice, to learn new techniques.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

butterypancakes posted:

After Effect's built in tracker is probably good enough, YouTube has some decent tutorials.

My only advice would be to shoot with as small of tracking points as you can. A square of white tape is enough, no one wants to paint out a huge X.

This is exactly the answer to my problem, thank you! We will be shooting with a sheet of glass to represent the screen, and I am pretty sure I can paint my own tracking points onto the glass that will appear to be part of the futuristic UI, so no painting out needed. Thanks again!

Also, I will keep videocopilot.net in my bookmarks - could be handy the next time I'm given an aftereffects project (which will probably be in another year or so. Which is a shame, I love aftereffects :()

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

gmc9987 posted:

This is exactly the answer to my problem, thank you! We will be shooting with a sheet of glass to represent the screen, and I am pretty sure I can paint my own tracking points onto the glass that will appear to be part of the futuristic UI, so no painting out needed. Thanks again!

If you don't need to see through it, consider putting something black behind the glass; this way you can just screen your graphics on top and still get all the reflections.

Xiao Ali
Feb 20, 2004

Rawr.
I'm fairly new to CSS, though I do know HTML quite well. While I can sort of piece things together, I cannot figure out why the body won't stretch with the content:

http://www.xiaoali.net/blog_test/blog_test.html

As you can see, the content_body flows into my footer. I know I'm probaly missing one little thing, but can't to save my life figure out what it is. Obviously I haven't gotten into placing the text yet, so that's a problem I've yet to tackle.

My plan to once I finish coding it in CSS, convert it to a wordpress template. I've used drupal and joomla on projects before, though never customizing the template.. I've been told and have seen that wordpress is much easier to customize.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Is there a way to hide tables using the text-indent:-9999px image replacement trick? I just wrapped the table I want to hide into a div and it just layers the table over the image I'm replacing it with.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Crossposting from the general photo thread: I'm looking to put some photobooks together for Christmas presents, where should I look? I know mpix and lulu, just looking for some other options.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

jackpot posted:

Crossposting from the general photo thread: I'm looking to put some photobooks together for Christmas presents, where should I look? I know mpix and lulu, just looking for some other options.

The newest version of iPhoto lets you design and purchase photobooks using your pictures, but the caveat is that you have to have the latest version of iPhoto and a mac to do that. If you can get access to it at school or through a friend, that should do what you want.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

gmc9987 posted:

The newest version of iPhoto lets you design and purchase photobooks using your pictures, but the caveat is that you have to have the latest version of iPhoto and a mac to do that. If you can get access to it at school or through a friend, that should do what you want.

I made one of these for my parents over the summer and it turned out fantastic.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

This seems like an appropriate thread for this kind of question...

I'm thinking of submitting this on threadless.com and I need a little bit of feedback on which version works better. I'm not a native English speaker so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

This is just a mockup, I'll do the text properly when I get my new tablet.

Also, I'm not sure if this breaks any copyright law. I'm pretty sure there's no copyright on outlines :) and the bow is different from Hello Kitty's, although the first one has "Hello" and "Kitty" in it.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

burexas.irom posted:

I'm thinking of submitting this on threadless.com and I need a little bit of feedback on which version works better. I'm not a native English speaker so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Also, I'm not sure if this breaks any copyright law. I'm pretty sure there's no copyright on outlines :) and the bow is different from Hello Kitty's, although the first one has "Hello" and "Kitty" in it.

I like the 2nd one, its great. I didn't get the first one until I saw the second one but I thought it was funny, anyway. The font doesn't sit too well with me..

Honestly I think people worry way too much about copyright law and don't really understand it. It's one thing to take someones idea and just rip it off and another thing entirely to parody something. But the bottom line is that copyright disputes are about money: recovering money because of damages. Do you really see yourself making a big pile of money on this? Do you think this really dilutes the brand equity that Hello Kitty has? I really doubt it.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

burexas.irom posted:

They don't do a lot of parody tees on Threadless, especially pop-culture parody. Also, read this: http://www.threadless.com/info/parody.

I'm not saying their interpretation of the law is THE interpretation, but it's their business. It's more using one pop-culture icon to reference a, uh, pop-scientific icon. Neither are really being made fun of and even if it's legal I doubt Threadless will go with it. My two cents before you waste your time. Maybe find somebody more off the radar or print it yourself and sell in SA-Mart or something.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I didn't see a thread for magazine creation and design. Is Adobe InDesign the software to get and learn for making magazines? I have used Photoshop and Microsoft Publisher for smaller stuff, but now I have the opportunity for someone else to buy the software for me to learn and make their small business magazine. It would be about 50 full size pages with 40% advertising and content would be about local small businesses and their owners.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Adobe InDesign or QuarkXpress are the two major ones. They do multipage layouts.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

gmc9987 posted:

Adobe InDesign or QuarkXpress are the two major ones. They do multipage layouts.

If you value your sanity, don't bother with QuarkXpress. Ugh, never again.

Back Stabber
Feb 5, 2009
Hey quick question: What type of paint would work well with painting wood without leaving any sort of texture (specifically, skateboards)?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

It depends on what you're painting onto it. If you want a flat color any kind of spraypaint will do, or if you want to do one of those artsy fartsy skateboards you could use acrylics and cover it with a clear coat. As long as you dont go nuts with the paint or you sand down the really heavy brush marks you should be fine. You could use oil paints too if you got time to let them dry well.

You could also do a stain, or a pattern of different stain colors and then cover it in varnish.

Since we're talking about skateboards, I'll just say every time I see one painted artistically I want to barf. That's just me though - lots of people love that poo poo.

Back Stabber
Feb 5, 2009

Beat. posted:

every time I see one painted artistically I want to barf.

I'm referring to the bottom here

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel

I am currently setting up stop-motion shoot using these bracelet boxes. I am getting a horrible reflection. Will a polarized lens eliminate all or most of the reflections?

edit: This is my camera phone. Shooting with an HVX200.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

JimmyStewart posted:

I am currently setting up stop-motion shoot using these bracelet boxes. I am getting a horrible reflection. Will a polarized lens eliminate all or most of the reflections?

You need softboxes or other forms of diffused lighting. That "horrible reflection" is a "light" "pointed right at it".

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

JimmyStewart posted:

I am not familiar with this technique but wouldn't it just be easier to scan the drawings?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Back Stabber posted:

I'm referring to the bottom here

yeah so am I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I cant rhyme
Aug 19, 2007
Crossposting from Askk/Tell: I don't know if this really goes here but I think it's worth a shot.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of any studies or resources regarding art in public spaces?

By public art I mean stuff especifically at metro, train stations and airports, or anything relating to advertisement against art in public?

It's for an assignment due soon and I have no idea where to start.