Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

madprocess posted:

Also I just checked my Microsoft Security Essentials to see when it updates:

I'm assuming you're British or something and think that 11/4/09 refers to 11th of April?

It's actually referring to today (Americans use a silly dating format month/date/year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

madprocess posted:

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons and tell it to hide them then, forever.

I just talked about this a page or two ago. Steam still requires the tray icon because when you click the "x" it closes to tray instead of task bar. That's retarded.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Blodskur posted:

That actually makes its notification area icon useless, doesn't it? I wish Steam and Spotify would just bugger off out of there.
Drag the icon to the hidden area for fun and profit! (actually I leave steam and impulse as 2 of the 6 icons I leave exposed, but you may choose to do otherwise)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I just talked about this a page or two ago. Steam still requires the tray icon because when you click the "x" it closes to tray instead of task bar. That's retarded.
That's exactly the problem. When I tell either Spotify or Steam to close, they minimize to the notification area, it's especially pointless now Steam has that jumplist integration and it's stupid for a music player to have me close it through the notification area. If only they knew that they pinned to my taskbar.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

DarthBlingBling posted:

I'm assuming you're British or something and think that 11/4/09 refers to 11th of April?

It's actually referring to today (Americans use a silly dating format month/date/year)

Dude I was born in Kentucky and live in New Jersey now, I know what date it is. I'm just pointing out to the people earlier asking how often MSE updates that it in fact updates often.

(Also MSE obeys regional settings, if I was in fact British and set my computer's regional settings to the UK, it would show that date as 4/11/09)

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blodskur posted:

That's exactly the problem. When I tell either Spotify or Steam to close, they minimize to the notification area, it's especially pointless now Steam has that jumplist integration and it's stupid for a music player to have me close it through the notification area. If only they knew that they pinned to my taskbar.

To be honest, I prefer it this way - I don't have steam pinned, and most of the time I'm perfectly happy with having the icon hidden from both the task bar and the tray.
The same thing goes for Live Messenger, but as long as I can run that in vista compatibility mode and have an icon in the tray, I'm happy.

However, I wouldn't mind if Opera would remove the tray icon, and change the program icon in the taskbar to notify about new mail (if that is even possible?).

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Clock Explosion posted:

Anyone having any problems relating to iTunes refusing to start whatsoever?

It's weird - sometimes it works, and I click on it and it starts to run. Other times, the taskbar shows that it's active, but then it shows that it's not active. If you look at the processes tab of the Task manager, it shows it's hanging around with about 10 MB of memory left.

Any ideas?

I did have this problem way back in the beta. Eventually I figured out that intunes refused to open for me when I had the windows install disk in my dvd drive. As soon as I removed it itunes started right up. I don't know if your problem is similar, but its worth a try.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Why the hell is UMonit.exe constantly pegging one of my cores at or near 100%? From what I can find online it monitors your USB ports but this drat thing shouldn't be eating up one of my cores.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Why the hell is UMonit.exe constantly pegging one of my cores at or near 100%? From what I can find online it monitors your USB ports but this drat thing shouldn't be eating up one of my cores.

Looks like you get yourself a trojan there.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

How do I get High Performance and Power Saver on that quick list at the same time? I never use balanced.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Doesn't seem to be a simple way to me. An idea though would be to go through the balanced advanced options, changing them to the power saver options. Then Balanced would be your Power Saver mode.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Okay, so I recently got my Windows 7 install disc in the mail, and I read through the OP, but I can't get a definite answer--does upgrading to Windows 7 wipe my computer clean? Do I have to reinstall everything?

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007

Enigmatic Cardboard posted:

Okay, so I recently got my Windows 7 install disc in the mail, and I read through the OP, but I can't get a definite answer--does upgrading to Windows 7 wipe my computer clean? Do I have to reinstall everything?

XP->Win7 = Wipe
Vista -> Win7 = Wipe or in place upgrade

V yeah I should've clarified, the "wipe" will still place all your data into a "Windows.old" file. But it's a clean install V

ChronoBasher fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 5, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ChronoBasher posted:

XP->Win7 = Wipe
Vista -> Win7 = Wipe or in place upgrade

Neither of these requires erasing a single file.

3 kinds of install:

Upgrade - Replaces your installed Windows with Windows 7, all apps stay in place, works surprisingly well

Clean Install - Moves your installed Windows/Apps to .OLD folders and installs a fresh OS. You lose no files.

Format - Erased your harddrive and installs a fresh OS. Only required for a new harddrive or if your partitions were destroys somehow.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Okay, so there won't be a problem if I do an upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium? I've never done this before so I don't want to totally make everything explode or something.

jsmh
Nov 5, 2009

Okay, so there won't be a problem if I do an upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium? I've never done this before so I don't want to totally make everything explode or something.

You shouldn't have any issues at all. It's pretty straight forward and automatic.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Okay, cool. Thanks for the help.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Super Dude posted:

My 8600GT (32 bit RC) and 9600GT (64 bit Pro) both run fine with full settings on Windows 7, so I don't think it's an issue with 7 and Nvidia. Have you tried re-seating the graphics card on the motherboard? Windows 7 should find the correct graphics driver on its own for you. I haven't manually installed a single driver yet.

After googling a bit, some people are recommending a BIOS update.

I uninstalled the latest nvidia drivers and let windows insatall whatever drivers it wanted and everything works fine now. I guess I'm just used to the old way of updating drivers one by one from each manufacturer's website. It even got my sound card and other drivers too that I had yet to get around to taking care of!

Does anyone have any useful guides/walkthroughs of all the new stuff in Win7, especially if transitioning from XP? When I received a Mac laptop a few years ago I found some that were immensely helpful in getting me up to speed with all the shortcuts/features/etc and would love something along those lines.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Regardless of which method you use, you should ALWAYS back up important files when changing/upgrading OSs. The chances of you screwing everything up with an upgrade are pretty low, but do you really want to risk losing all of your documents/music because you didn't want to take the time to copy them to another hard drive?

Douche4Sale posted:

Does anyone have any useful guides/walkthroughs of all the new stuff in Win7, especially if transitioning from XP? When I received a Mac laptop a few years ago I found some that were immensely helpful in getting me up to speed with all the shortcuts/features/etc and would love something along those lines.

Here is some stuff and here is some more. Click on the videos on the Microsoft link I gave you, they are actually really useful.

There is a ton of new stuff to explore if you are moving from xp. One huge thing (in my opinion) is that the searching is actually useful now. Searches are nearly instant instead of the 5 minute wait on XP. I use search to open programs instead of digging through the programs menu.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 5, 2009

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I upgraded to Win7 from XP. Will I need to install my motherboard drivers and other poo poo like that or does Win7 have those built in.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Super Dude posted:

How do I get High Performance and Power Saver on that quick list at the same time? I never use balanced.

Change the Balanced power plan settings to match the ones of Power Saver :v:

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

Casao posted:

Clean Install - Moves your installed Windows/Apps to .OLD folders and installs a fresh OS. You lose no files.

Format - Erased your harddrive and installs a fresh OS. Only required for a new harddrive or if your partitions were destroys somehow.

I'm still not getting the difference. What do you mean it takes your installed Apps/files and moves them to .OLD folders? It's still installing a clean OS right? What do you do with those files in the folders? What happens to your apps?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

LooseChanj posted:

Looks like you get yourself a trojan there.

Googling basically turned up a bunch of "it's part of a card reader driver" descriptions/explanations, and exactly one "it's a trojan that somehow no one else has ever noticed and OEMs ship it on driver CDs and somehow UAC, the firewall, anti-spyware and anti-virus software all overlook it".

Uh...yeah. Still killing the process anyway.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Skype is even worse. If try to close it with the X or a File,Quit, it minimizes to the tray, where you then have to right-click, quit to close it.

I have yet to find a way to one-step close it, short of killing it from the task manager.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just replaced XP Pro with Ultimate 64-bit, interesting experience. Many applications suck at detecting language and display Chinese because the region settings are China even though the language is English - Chrome, Apple's install and update utility, Last.fm.

7 detects I have a MS Laser Mouse 6000 and prompts to install Intellipoint 7, that's the biggest mistake I've made so far as Intellipoint royally fucks up mouse scrolling and acceleration.

One issue with 32/64-bit problems in that the start bar can't find the icon for Google Apps Mail, odd as Calendar and Docs display fine.

Why is it so difficult to drag an application onto the start menu from the programs menu?

iTunes decided to duplicate random tracks throughout my entire collection, mainly around compilations and UTF-8 encoded track names. PITA to fix.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 5, 2009

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Kazy posted:

Change the Balanced power plan settings to match the ones of Power Saver :v:

I actually tried deleting the balanced plan, but it didn't work :(

code:
powercfg -export C:\balanced.pow scheme_balanced
powercfg -delete scheme_balanced
I mean, it only gives you two options, but the menu from the tray to change it shows NO power plans. Perhaps a reboot is in order? I'm sure someone can take it from here. I just mad quick bat scripts to set the settings I want and can launch those with keyboard shortcuts.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

MrMoo posted:

Why is it so difficult to drag an application onto the start menu from the programs menu?

Drag onto the orb, not the actual start menu.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Alternately, right-click > Pin to Start Menu

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

I'm still not getting the difference. What do you mean it takes your installed Apps/files and moves them to .OLD folders? It's still installing a clean OS right? What do you do with those files in the folders? What happens to your apps?

Upgrade - Replaces your system files, keeps programs installed.

Clean install - backs up your system files and programs, gives a fresh install without deleting any files

Format - erased everything and does a clean install, no files saved on the main disk

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm about to install Windows 7 Profession, and while I have Vista x64 Ultimate Edition, I don't see the "clean install" option. All I get are Upgrade and Custom, which the description for custom is just reformat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Drox posted:

I discovered this while transferring files over my network. It is super cool!

I love it when I'm copying files from my flash drive/ipod to my netbook and I can watch the little bar chug.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I'm about to install Windows 7 Profession, and while I have Vista x64 Ultimate Edition, I don't see the "clean install" option. All I get are Upgrade and Custom, which the description for custom is just reformat.

Pick custom. It'll just perform a fresh install.

I literally just turned mine on. It's looooovely.

But it's hatin' on my system, only a 7.3/7.5/7.5 in the EXPERIENCE INDEX.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Stew Man Chew posted:

But it's hatin' on my system, only a 7.3/7.5/7.5 in the EXPERIENCE INDEX.

That's uh... pretty drat good.

The "rated" scale is 1-7.9 but I'm sure you can get above 7.9 like you could in Vista.

I'm only 6.5/6.8/7.2/7.2/7.2 and my primary HDD is a Intel X25-M G2 SSD...

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm getting 3.9/4.4/2.1/3.3/5.4 and 7 still runs fine for me. :)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Still looking for a solution to this, if anyone can help.

I'd really rather not use 3rd party software as I was perfectly happy with Scanner and Camera Wizard before, but let me know what y'all do. I liked importing my stuff as yyyy-mm-dd Name\yyyy-mm-dd Name ###.jpg in XP, it was very organized. Here was my post from yesterday:

SpelledBackwards posted:

Is there anything like the XP Scanner and Camera Wizard in Vista or 7?

I can't loving stand the fact that if you plug in a digital camera in Vista/7, it decides you need to import EVERY picture on the camera in one folder instead of being reasonable and letting you, you know, CHOOSE which pictures you'd like to download for a particular import.

Edit: For now I'm browsing to the camera and copying them off manually.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Isn't that what Windows Fax & Scan replaces?

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Sorry to ask another install question...but here's another install question.

Just to verify, if I download the ISO through the student discount program, can I do a fresh/clean install by using this procedure http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/10/23/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-the-answer.aspx ?

Also, will upgrading through this manner be an issue if I want to go from 32bit to 64bit?

Finally, if my HD is already partitioned, and I move all of my files onto the "D" partition, will they remain untouched when performing a fresh install?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

madprocess posted:

I'm getting 3.9/4.4/2.1/3.3/5.4 and 7 still runs fine for me. :)

My 7 performance could be better. My graphics card can't handle OneNote pages with lots of scanned images nor Zune desktop software full screen on my external monitor. 1080p video skips frames and sticks occasionally. My CPU gets too hot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The Windows Performance Evaluator means absolutely ZERO in real world computing. You might as well ask a hobo to pick a number between 0 and 7.9, and that'll give about as accurate an answer as Windows will give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Kinkajou posted:

Also, will upgrading through this manner be an issue if I want to go from 32bit to 64bit?

You can't upgrade between 32 bit and 64 bit.