Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

UserNotFound posted:

South Park, how you amuse me!!! "The F Word"....loving hilarious!

That episode was quite amusing. Fag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

shaitan posted:

That episode was quite amusing. Fag.

I don't even own a harley, but I now want to ride around with a marching tuba!!!!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's funny how much heat a cat will hold. Not too long after I get back from a ride the header pipes will have cooled down but the cat will still be pretty warm.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
So here's a tip: before you start buying replacement electrical components in a futile attempt to fix a long-standing problem with your bike's charging system, check ALL of the wiring first. As it turns out, the reason my FZR wouldn't charge the battery is because some assclown PO did one of the most hack wire extension jobs ever on the wires going from the alternator to the rectifier, and not a buster stator/rectifier.

So now I have a working charging system, a spare rectifier and stator, and am out $100. loving POs.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Ever want to read about some moron that put NOS energy drink into his gas? Well now you can! http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
That was brought up back in May or so, whenever someone crossposted it. Still, it's a great read if you're going to kill an hour.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

redscare posted:

Ever want to read about some moron that put NOS energy drink into his gas? Well now you can! http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

I've read this before, but its always good for a laugh.

And it makes me feel really good about the dumb things I've done with my bike

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Wandering Idiot posted:

That was brought up back in May or so, whenever someone crossposted it. Still, it's a great read if you're going to kill an hour.

That's what I get for not checking timestamps.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
Oh no worries. I never read it all the way through before and it's genuinely funny. It is clogged with "hi from X forum" but the OP just keeps coming back for the abuse. It's insane at just how fast that thread made it around to all the other boards.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
So i'm taking out my clutch to see whats wrong with it(Clutch plates are warped!) and when I get the crankcase cover off and suddenly the garage smells exactly like Barbecue sauce. The KC masterpiece stuff. I even brought the rest of the family in to smell!

Makes me wonder if the tranny will smell different.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/1464692112.html

quote:

Free: This bike was running fine until last year. I have not ridden it as I have a suspended license. Tried to start it to move it but it wouldn't turnover. Am moving need to get rid of it. Was last registered 2008 with a Maine registration. I can't legally drive and my brother doesn't know how to ride one -- so this can't be delivered. Would suggest bringing a trailer.

Oh, it has a custom "Yoshi" paint job on the gas tank. Everyone likes Yoshi right?

Dammit it's just over a hundred miles away. Think it's worth trying to get a hold of? Or will it all end in tears?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Methusulah posted:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/1464692112.html

Dammit it's just over a hundred miles away. Think it's worth trying to get a hold of? Or will it all end in tears?

Price is right, paint job is hilarious. Go for it, worst case you dump a free bike. :v:

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Email sent. Gonna try and wrangle my buddy and his truck to go get it tomorrow if it's available. My only concern is if it's stolen or something hosed up like that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Methusulah posted:

Email sent. Gonna try and wrangle my buddy and his truck to go get it tomorrow if it's available. My only concern is if it's stolen or something hosed up like that.

Oh yeah. If there are title issues, run.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
After reading the "Faster street riding" thread and having a free bike dangled tantalizingly close to my face, it's really making me reconsider my options. The ex250 made me feel a bit too much like a hooligan. I was cautious as hell, but I always had that nagging fear I would get too wild one day. That dream was cut short, but thinking about it, an old standard would be pretty sweet. Definitely feeling a KZ-...something. I don't really have much preference for displacement, just enough power to get on the highway with enough luggage for a week-long trip/extended stay. But then the reliability of a 20-something year old bike comes to mind. And cost of tools and parts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I took a 23 year old bike around Europe. You'll be fine, you just need to go through the Three Trials of CA. Clean carbs, replace/charge battery, replace chain/tires.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Sounds like a path to true enlightenment. :angel:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And a heck of a lot easier than the eightfold path.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Oh what the gently caress

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091123/NEWS01/311230013/Biker+doing++wheelies++before+crash+

quote:

WHITEWATER TWP. – The motorcyclist who hit and killed a woman as she pulled her 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier into her driveway Sunday night was doing “wheelies” just before the crash, according to a 911 phone call released this morning.

"There was a guy doing wheelies down (Ohio 128) and he has just wrecked," said Matthew Laney, who lives nearby, when he spoke to a Hamilton County operator.

• Audio: 911 calls reporting the motorcyclist and the accident
• Earlier: Motorcycle hits, kills woman

Linda Colgate, 55, was turning left into her driveway in the 7000 block of Ohio 128 just before 5 p.m. when a 1999 Honda 900 RR motorcycle headed in the same direction hit the driver’s side, according to the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. She was not wearing a seat belt.

Her cause of death has not been determined yet by the Hamilton County Coroner’s Office, said Terry Daly, agency spokesman.

The motorcyclist, Bobby J. Luke, 27, of Aurora, Ind., was taken to University Hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

He also was not wearing a safety restraint or a helmet.

He was ejected about 30 feet onto the concrete, Lane told the dispatcher.

“He rolled thankfully in the grass a little bit,” Lane said.

At the time of the crash, authorities said Luke was trying to pass several cars in a no-passing zone, sheriff’s officials have said.

The crash remains under investigation. Alcohol is a factor, according to the sheriff’s office.

So many things wrong with this, bolded the main ones.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You missed the big one...Alcohol is a factor.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

quote:

He also was not wearing a safety restraint or a helmet.

I can see not wearing a helmet, but why didn't he have his seatbelt on? :psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

You missed the big one...Alcohol is a factor.

Hmmm, for him or her, I'm wondering?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Speaking of helmets, I was at this weekend's 24 Hours of Lemons and there were plenty of people using bikes as pit/paddock runabouts. Not one was wearing a lid. Saw a dude come within inches of bashing his dome open on the asphalt after he stalled and dropped the Husky he was riding (I don't think it was his or that he knew how to ride).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

redscare posted:

Speaking of helmets, I was at this weekend's 24 Hours of Lemons and there were plenty of people using bikes as pit/paddock runabouts. Not one was wearing a lid. Saw a dude come within inches of bashing his dome open on the asphalt after he stalled and dropped the Husky he was riding (I don't think it was his or that he knew how to ride).

This is extremely common in any pit area all over the country. Since you're usually not going more than 15mph people just assume that any wreck they have won't hurt them. The NMRA has actually banned any motorized vehicle in the pits unless it has the team's number on it, and only one support vehicle per team is allowed. It only took one drunk falling off of a golf cart during a rousing 3am golf cart jousting match in the pits and paralyzing himself for their insurance to freak out and demand the change.

Now, with the team number scheme, teams get penalized for dumb things like driving in the pits drunk, speeding in the pits, driving recklessly in the pits, or operating a motorcycle without a helmet in the pits. Almost no one uses motorcycles in the pits anymore since each team is only allowed one support vehicle and golf carts/four wheelers/side-by-side utility vehicles make much more sense. It's an awesome rule that I'd love to see adopted by other series if for no other reason than to curb the number of times I'm almost mowed down by some 14 year old bombing through the pits on a golf cart.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

This is extremely common in any pit area all over the country. Since you're usually not going more than 15mph people just assume that any wreck they have won't hurt them. The NMRA has actually banned any motorized vehicle in the pits unless it has the team's number on it, and only one support vehicle per team is allowed. It only took one drunk falling off of a golf cart during a rousing 3am golf cart jousting match in the pits and paralyzing himself for their insurance to freak out and demand the change.

Now, with the team number scheme, teams get penalized for dumb things like driving in the pits drunk, speeding in the pits, driving recklessly in the pits, or operating a motorcycle without a helmet in the pits. Almost no one uses motorcycles in the pits anymore since each team is only allowed one support vehicle and golf carts/four wheelers/side-by-side utility vehicles make much more sense. It's an awesome rule that I'd love to see adopted by other series if for no other reason than to curb the number of times I'm almost mowed down by some 14 year old bombing through the pits on a golf cart.

There was a guy at Buttonwillow shortly after I started riding the track who killed himself when he highsided his bike in the pits at roughly 10mph somehow, and caught his footpeg through his head. They didn't even call the helicopter, he was cold before the ambulance got to him.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

There was a guy at Buttonwillow shortly after I started riding the track who killed himself when he highsided his bike in the pits at roughly 10mph somehow, and caught his footpeg through his head. They didn't even call the helicopter, he was cold before the ambulance got to him.

That's... that's.... holy poo poo, how the gently caress do you do that? :psyduck:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

caught his footpeg through his head

:gonk: holy loving poo poo

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

That's... that's.... holy poo poo, how the gently caress do you do that? :psyduck:

I don't know. I'd imagine that it was something like his throttle stuck and he dropped the clutch or he was trying to show off, the bike went sort of sideways and backwards and he ended up under it and very unlucky.

I had another friend who got stabbed in the inner thigh through his leathers in a crash. It was pretty bad. Footpegs (and hollow bars) will gently caress you up, getting hit by one can be like getting a core sample taken on your leg. :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've never been to a real racetrack in person before, but in all the coverage of F1 I've watched, the only motorized transport I can think of is the odd scooter at the odd track being used by the marshals and I haven't even seen that recently. I guess it might be a bit different if you don't have a gigantic motorhome filled with everything nearby.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not sure where to post this so this is good as any:

A guy I know on SVR is selling his 06 naked SV for $3400 in the DC area. I'm not sure of the miles on it. It's been well taken care of minus a minor drop at the end of his driveway by his girlfriend (which ended in him dropping his VFR to run over and help her out).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

A guy I know on SVR is selling his 06 naked SV for $3400 in the DC area. I'm not sure of the miles on it. It's been well taken care of minus a minor drop at the end of his driveway by his girlfriend (which ended in him dropping his VFR to run over and help her out).

Looks like a good deal. I'd go for it if you're looking for an SV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Looks like a good deal. I'd go for it if you're looking for an SV.
So would I if I wanted another one.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I'm officially a bike whore. I sold off my TW200 vowing to keep the herd down to one bike (off a maximum of 4), and had plans to replace my KLR with a WR250R. I knew I'd lose a lot of money on the KLR in engine work and farkles and need to spend at least 5K on a WR.

Well here I am, the proud owner of a plated KLX300 that cost $1500. KLR still where I left it. Ah gently caress. I give up.

This is going to kick so much rear end.

Now with more content:

Transmission: 6-speed
Weight: 231 pounds
Power: 33HP

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 24, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

So would I if I wanted another one.

:doh: Now I get it. :v:

I really want a plated 300 for street and offroad use. KLX is at the top of that list. :allears:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Aren't the rules that you start with "are you ok" and if they don't scream, you leisurely park your bike, take out a camera, and take pictures for posterity?

Well I suppose with a girlfriend those pictures would definitely be for posterity because they'd be the last you'd see of her...but just sayin', girls heal, bikes don't.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MotoMind posted:

Aren't the rules that you start with "are you ok" and if they don't scream, you leisurely park your bike, take out a camera, and take pictures for posterity?

I think that rule only applies to your dumbass buddies and not your girlfriend for fairly obvious reasons

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MotoMind posted:

Well I suppose with a girlfriend those pictures would definitely be for posterity because they'd be the last you'd see of her...but just sayin', girls heal, bikes don't.

In all seriousness, it takes like .25 seconds to put the side stand down. Unless he just dropped the bike in a blind panic, I don't see why this happened, and if he panics like that, I'd hate to see his reaction to an emergency on the road.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I think today is the day I finally "park" the bike for the year. The next week is forecasting for highs in the mid-upper 30's, snow/rain mix, and cold nights. I guess a March-November riding season for Minnesota isn't ALL bad, right? :(

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Now with more content:

Transmission: 6-speed
Weight: 231 pounds
Power: 33HP

My dad just bought one of those a few weeks ago, and it seems like it's a solid off-road bike. I rode it the other day, and having not ridden a modern four stroke in a few years, got a nice reminder of what torque and engine braking feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

PitViper posted:

I think today is the day I finally "park" the bike for the year. The next week is forecasting for highs in the mid-upper 30's, snow/rain mix, and cold nights. I guess a March-November riding season for Minnesota isn't ALL bad, right? :(

It's getting to the point here where I only really ride on the weekends now and then and I'm thinking I should just put it away, but I know there are probably a few more nice days left

I don't know :(