Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Another good option is a hard drive based iPod (5th generation or newer) with an adapter for line in recording. It will throw off a lot less RF interference than a whole computer will, and yo can just transfer the file over later.

Yeah, I use my Cowon X5 for that and it works pretty well. The reason I want to use my PC is because I can use a program to back-buffer the recording constantly. What I do with my scanner is run it through my PC all the time and when something interesting happens, I can hit record and it will have already included the last 60 seconds in the file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I sometimes enter this thread, and wish I was as cool as you guys and could listen to the numbers stations live because they are creepy and mysterious.

Then I realize that I would probably listen for a few minutes but would get frustrated that I would never know the exact origins of the station, what they could be saying in this day and age that is so important to tell a spy, and why the phone was audible in the background, when the numbers were obviously not being read live.

Here's audio of the phone ringing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-CLcxEYgM

It's like they have a computer reading numbers in a live spot to a microphone.

I think that the fact that nobody will probably ever have a way to translate the code is both amazing and also extremely unfair to people like me who just want to know.

hobes
Jan 15, 2007

Fight! Fight! Comrade!
Just went ahead and dropped 150 bones on a Grundig G3 from Universal. It came with the free AM antenna! Woo! I've been reading this thread for ages and have been interested for quite awhile and finally made the commitment. Next up? Who knows.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
I may go ahead and get one of those G3's just for the hell of it. I'm pretty happy with my E5 but eh. I've been playing around with 300 feet of speaker wire wound around a garden hose reel (around the base, not the reel itself.) Works pretty well, all things considered.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Interesting...

I just heard groups of 5 letters in CW on 9150 (135)... when I listened a little closer with my radio in CW mode, however, I heard what sounded like voices layered in underneath the signal. When I put on some headphones and tried to isolate the speaking, the CW stopped, but for a few moments I heard the unmistakable bumper music from Radio Havana Cuba. Obviously, they were using RHC transmitters (like the rest of the Cuban numbers stations), but I don't think I've ever heard them so blatantly identified as such.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

nmfree posted:

Interesting...

I just heard groups of 5 letters in CW on 9150 (135)... when I listened a little closer with my radio in CW mode, however, I heard what sounded like voices layered in underneath the signal. When I put on some headphones and tried to isolate the speaking, the CW stopped, but for a few moments I heard the unmistakable bumper music from Radio Havana Cuba. Obviously, they were using RHC transmitters (like the rest of the Cuban numbers stations), but I don't think I've ever heard them so blatantly identified as such.

That is interesting. That is pretty blatant, though I never knew they were trying to hide it. I always liked how I could listen to the end of Radio Havana's broadcast day and the moment it stopped I could change frequencies and hear, "Atencion, atencion...."

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I'd really like to buy an external antenna for my Grundig G5. What's the best option? Is the DE31 compatible, and should I bother investing in a more expensive antenna like the AN-LP1 (if that's compatible either)?

The other thing I was wondering was that many of the antennas have a tuner for the frequency - do I need to set my radio and the antenna to the same frequency or can I just forget my radio tuner and use the antenna? Or am I reading that completely wrong and it's nothing like that?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Both the DE31 and AN-LP1 are compatible with the G5 and you have to tune BOTH the antenna and the radio itself.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

p-hop posted:

I'd really like to buy an external antenna for my Grundig G5. What's the best option? Is the DE31 compatible, and should I bother investing in a more expensive antenna like the AN-LP1 (if that's compatible either)?

The other thing I was wondering was that many of the antennas have a tuner for the frequency - do I need to set my radio and the antenna to the same frequency or can I just forget my radio tuner and use the antenna? Or am I reading that completely wrong and it's nothing like that?

I have an AN-LP1 for my G5 and it works fine. I shouldn't say 'fine,' it works great. It picks up things much stronger than the built in antenna. The tuning isn't a big deal. You just set it to the range you want. Put your radio on the frequency you want then select the range on the antenna. You only have to change it on the antenna when you go to a frequency in a different range. The frequency ranges are 4,5,6,7,10,12,14,16,20 mhz.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

For those of you in the US who might be interested, today is Radio St. Helena day, and their broadcast is starting in about 30 minutes.

quote:

code:
Time in UTC                           Target Area(s)
20:00 – 21:00                         India  /  Southeast Asia
21:00 – 22:00                         Japan / Asia
22:00 – 23:30                         Europe
23:30 – 01:00                         North America / Central America / Caribbean
The transmission will be on 11092.5 KHz in Upper Side Band, as usual.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

For those of you in the US who might be interested, today is Radio St. Helena day, and their broadcast is starting in about 30 minutes.

Thanks for posting this! Just saw this post with 17 minutes left until broadcast!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

Thanks for posting this! Just saw this post with 17 minutes left until broadcast!

Here's hoping I can actually hear anything.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Social Animal posted:

Here's hoping I can actually hear anything.

It was yesterday.

I missed it, wanted to catch it but ended up busy =(

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Wasn't able to pick up doodly squat, unfortunately.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Wasn't able to pick up doodly squat, unfortunately.
:smith: Same here, listened to an hour and a half of static.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

nmfree posted:

:smith: Same here, listened to an hour and a half of static.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Accursed posted:

It was yesterday.

I missed it, wanted to catch it but ended up busy =(

Oops well I probably would have just heard static. :(

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Social Animal posted:

Oops well I probably would have just heard static. :(

Yeah, I didn't have any luck picking it up last year either. Colorado's a bit too far inland, I think =(

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Accursed posted:

Yeah, I didn't have any luck picking it up last year either. Colorado's a bit too far inland, I think =(
As much as it irritates me that Glenn Hauser spams his reception reports all over the internet, this time it proves useful.

quote:

** SAINT HELENA. Radio Saint Helena Day, 2009y, 11092.5-USB --- I heard it, but it was totally unsatisfying, mostly inaudible. Fortunately, last year and others were much better, and QSLed, so the novelty is wearing off, anyway.

Started monitoring at 2000 UT Nov 14, but as I dozed during my nap, no trace of it thru 2150, just the ute on the low side (fax idling?), and occasional other types of ute QRM, such as two beeps every 16 seconds, bits of CW; at 0024 running-water overriding everything, but briefly.

At 2134 I checked BBC Ascension, 12095, the nearest geographically and frequencially, found it only fair with flutter fading. If that`s the best we can expect from the South Atlantic, with 250x the power and many times the antenna gain, not surprising RSH is not making it.

However, next check at 2220 on a different receiver/antenna setup, RSH was just barely audible, bits of music. 2254 sounded like a sea chanty; singing, anyway (Mick Delmage, Alberta says a pirate interrupted at this very moment). 2312, mostly music. Later could catch a few occasional words: 2358, `thank you very much`; UT Nov 15: 0003 mention Jamestown; 0005 Japan? 0006 very familiar romantic tenor tune I am trying to name.

During the final hour I knew I would be spending my time better by bandscanning for lots of other stations rather than straining to hear a few more words from RSH, but checked it occasionally. 0024 about the same barely audible reception; 0030 even weaker; 0041 JBA music; 0058 very poor going from talk to music, maybe GSTQ at wrapup. The final sesquihour was allegedly toward NAm.

This was so marginal, that any way to increase gain was necessary, so tried various combinations of receivers and antennas. What I really need is a log-periodic. There were no detectable changes at the publicized antenna rotation times of 2100, 2200 or 2330. However, at 2301 it either went off briefly, or local noise level went up.

The signal was so weak that I had a hard time zeroing in on it, with no carrier as a guide; finally picked a spot on the DX-398 40-Hz fine-tuning between 11092 and 11093 and stuck to it.

Anyway, tnx to everyone for their trouble in putting this on again, no doubt a treat for those who could hear it better or for the first time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
Frankly, if he couldn't hear it at all, I had absolutely no chance.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just picked up my Grundig G6 "Aviator", "Buzz Aldrin Edition". The Radio Shack had a G3 listed for $99.99 on clearance but it turns out they hosed up and it was $149.99 and they had none in stock except the display model which they wouldn't sell me.

I had heard a Cuban number station just loving with the dial for 20 min on the G3 in the store. The G6 was less sensitive, but when I got it home, I took it behind my apartment and the 6-7 MHz range was CRAWLING with stations in Spanish and English, even overlapping each other. Crazy senile preachers, news, music, the whole shebang. I'm pretty happy with this so far.

One big Q: I'm going to the mountains in a coupla days to do better listening. I have a big slinky-tenna and giant spools of wire to make better antennas, but I need to know what the hell kind of port is on this thing. It looks like a headphone jack but I'm not sure about the pinout. I expect I can just adapt a mono headphone jack to the antenna feed. Don't think I need anything special on the ground line.

Any ideas? :) Thanks!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Epicenter posted:

One big Q: I'm going to the mountains in a coupla days to do better listening. I have a big slinky-tenna and giant spools of wire to make better antennas, but I need to know what the hell kind of port is on this thing. It looks like a headphone jack but I'm not sure about the pinout. I expect I can just adapt a mono headphone jack to the antenna feed. Don't think I need anything special on the ground line.
The antenna jack usually takes a mono connector, like you guessed. Since there's no pinout given in the manual, I would just assume that the tip is antenna/sleeve is ground. If in doubt, touch a piece of wire to each contact on the backside of the plug and see which is louder; that's probably the antenna.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Fiddling with the "Air" band on my G6, which I've never listened to before. Charts, and its very name, seem to indicate it's for aeronautical use. Why the hell is it full of music, talk radio and commercials? ... Example, between 131-134 MHz.

Also another odd quirk; at the minimum listenable frequency, 150 KHz, I can hear a staticky mirror of an AM station around 750 KHz. Weird. The only thing I can think of is that 750 is a harmonic of 150 and I'm pretty sure harmonics go both ways on the spectrum, not just up. My theory is 150 KHz is quiet enough that you can hear even a weak harmonic on it (it IS drat quiet down there. Spanish talk radio starts showing up around the 500s.) My only other assumption is that it's just a glitch in the tuner when operated near the end of its range.

Also, last night listening to 6-7 MHz the talk radio stations and crazy preachers were talking over each other. They're both understandable if you focus on one voice though.

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 24, 2009

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Epicenter posted:

Fiddling with the "Air" band on my G6, which I've never listened to before. Charts, and its very name, seem to indicate it's for aeronautical use. Why the hell is it full of music, talk radio and commercials? ... Example, between 131-134 MHz.

Also another odd quirk; at the minimum listenable frequency, 150 KHz, I can hear a staticky mirror of an AM station around 750 KHz. Weird. The only thing I can think of is that 750 is a harmonic of 150 and I'm pretty sure harmonics go both ways on the spectrum, not just up.

For the first question, what you're picking up is actually bleedthrough and interference from other sources, radio & TV. As for the second one, you're precisely right. Harmonics go both ways. I pick up a really strong one of a local sports talk station in the longwave frequencies.

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AstroZamboni posted:

For the first question, what you're picking up is actually bleedthrough and interference from other sources, radio & TV.

Ah ha; thanks. For my own personal info, where in a television or radio would a frequency around 133 MHz be generated? Seeing as AM/FM radio broadcasting stop at 108 MHz and television broadcast is 174-216 MHz. I'm pretty sure they don't even broadcst on those freqs anymore stateside, since they switched to that digital... thing.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Epicenter posted:

Ah ha; thanks. For my own personal info, where in a television or radio would a frequency around 133 MHz be generated? Seeing as AM/FM radio broadcasting stop at 108 MHz and television broadcast is 174-216 MHz. I'm pretty sure they don't even broadcst on those freqs anymore stateside, since they switched to that digital... thing.

Could be harmonic intercepts (133 is almost exactly 2 times ATSC channel 6 carrier) or remote feeds. Many sites feed to a remote transmitter location (you'll here them several seconds on one before they come out on their designated channel). As to the original guy, usually you pick up harmonics above the frequency not below. What you are hearing is probably direct bleed into the circuits of the radio.

If you have cable, it could be bleeding from cable channels also. Around my apartment, I can receive a very static cable channels if I point my 2m/440 yagis at the wires or other apartments.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Something I came across the other day and just realized it might be interesting to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIKlp_rVqto

Apparently the BMW Business CD head unit (and assumedly others) can be switched in to a European mode which causes their AM mode to allow access to MW and LW frequencies. I don't have a clue if there's anything interesting in those bands for those in the US (haven't tried it yet myself) and it seems to have a negative effect on FM reception, but for those who are interested and own BMWs here it is.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

sellout.woot.com has a $30 eton hand-crank radio up today that does AM/FM/SW.

Looks like it retails for 35-45 elsewhere, so it's not the greatest deal. It's got some bad reviews but mostly from people bitching that it won't charge their iphone/other proprietary device.

I've never used one but it doesn't look like it would be that bad for a camping radio or as backup when the power goes out. Mainly it's an excuse to bump this thread, though. :)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Okay, I'm looking for a replacement for my G5 that got murdered by a thunderstorm a few months ago. I see the G5 isn't being made any more, so what's the go-to radio for a replacement? I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the G6, but that's as far as I've gotten research-wise.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
Got a g5 i'd be willing to sell for $90 plus shipping. pm me?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

wa27 posted:

sellout.woot.com has a $30 eton hand-crank radio up today that does AM/FM/SW.

Looks like it retails for 35-45 elsewhere, so it's not the greatest deal. It's got some bad reviews but mostly from people bitching that it won't charge their iphone/other proprietary device.

I've never used one but it doesn't look like it would be that bad for a camping radio or as backup when the power goes out. Mainly it's an excuse to bump this thread, though. :)

It is a wonderful radio provided its the same as the grundig and I bet it is.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
I am considering purchasing either a Grundig G3 or a Sony 7600GR sometime in the future. I regret selling my satellit. :(

SpazRobot
Dec 21, 2004
I am Nomad.
Just found this-

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/12/thanko-debuts-u.php

It's a USB software-controlled shortwave radio for about $45.

Software, documentation, and support appears to all be in Japanese. Does Thanko usually localize products for sale in the US? Or is this as good as it gets?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

SpazRobot posted:

Just found this-

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/12/thanko-debuts-u.php

It's a USB software-controlled shortwave radio for about $45.

Software, documentation, and support appears to all be in Japanese. Does Thanko usually localize products for sale in the US? Or is this as good as it gets?

That is neat as hell.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
So, I got a free Grundig YB 400 PE from a grandparent. They apparently bought it to listen to the radio while on a cruise near Greece, and never used again. Managed to pick up Radio Havana (barely) last night, but I was also inside near fluorescent lighting. A couple questions, though:

1) What can I do to pick up aircraft communications. I'm only a few miles from a major airport, and can find online what purports to be the tower frequency. The site I found lists it as 118.7, which is obviously not AM/SW. Help?

2) Any good frequencies that the Phoenix goons in here have had good luck picking up? I'm going to buy a some cheapo antenna stuff later, but I'd still like to get some stuff with the attached antenna.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Doc Faustus posted:

1) What can I do to pick up aircraft communications. I'm only a few miles from a major airport, and can find online what purports to be the tower frequency. The site I found lists it as 118.7, which is obviously not AM/SW. Help?

You would need a radio that receives airband (118-137 MHz), such as the G3, G6, or various other radios. There are some other interesting things that can be picked up with a regular short wave that has SSB though, such as military transmissions and aviation weather.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Oh god I think I'm addicted. :smith:

Just using the built-in antenna and the "auto tuning" feature, I've picked up Cuba, NHK Japan, and China Radio International. Tomorrow I'm hitting up Radio Shack for speaker wire and a crimp. Any pitfalls to avoid when making a basic loop antenna? NHK says to be sure the antenna doesn't touch the building, but I was kinda hoping to be able to leave it on the roof or some such.

EDIT: Radio Taiwan International!
EDIT 2: EVERY station has a loud "hum" on it for me. Is this local interference, or something I can adjust for?

Doc Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 21, 2009

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Double post! Is nobody else trying to listen to stuff over the Holidays? China Radio was playing Christmas Carols! No new radios for Christmas?

So, I've decided I can either pay good money for a professional antenna, or else pay less money and annoy my girlfriend with some slinky-based contraption. Given how much she already puts up with, I'd prefer the professional option. My radio has a 3.5mm antenna input, so all I need to find is an antenna with 3.5mm output. If it's on Amazon I've got about $100-$150 to spend, otherwise I'd have to keep it closer to $50. Any ideas?

wasabimilkshake
Aug 21, 2007

North Carolina votes yes.
I'm thinking about picking up the Grundig G6 as a foray into the mysterious world of shortwave radio. It's $92 right now on Amazon, and $75 from L.L. Bean.

My main concern is interference. I live very close to a Cox Radio building, and they broadcast 5 FM and 2 AM stations in my city. There's a broadcast antenna 235 feet from my bedroom. It's a tapered metal structure with a big white dish at the top, and about 200-300 feet tall. Would being so close to this thing thwart my plans of listening to shortwave broadcasts?

When I'm at school, there's no giant antenna in my back yard, but I still don't know what constitutes a worrisome amount of possible interference. Would problems arise from having the radio in the same small room as my computer? What if I took it to a classroom in a 4-story building with about 800 workstations?

Finally, a simple question: is shortwave dead? This article probably isn't doing much for shortwave radio sales.

wasabimilkshake fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 31, 2009

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Down in Antarctica for a month, and had to do survival training in case I get stuck out while I'm out sampling in the field. Got to use a nice HF radio to get South Pole Station to copy and reply, and had to set up a nice dipole antenna to do it. Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Accursed posted:

Down in Antarctica for a month, and had to do survival training in case I get stuck out while I'm out sampling in the field. Got to use a nice HF radio to get South Pole Station to copy and reply, and had to set up a nice dipole antenna to do it. Awesome!

Hey, how did the ANLP antenna end up working for you?

• Locked thread