Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
well my launchpad just arrived today but I can't use it yet because I still haven't upgraded from Live 6 yet ehehehe :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Doesn't it come w/ a stripped version of the latest?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
that's true it does, but I'd hate to have to go from a full version to a lite version, and it probably couldn't even open most of my current projects so I doubt I'll even bother with it

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
I love this program but i'll be damned if i ever finish any music in it cos i'm too busy just playing with it.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
I'm pretty excited for the surge of Launchpad youtube videos to come. Mine should get here by thursday

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

The studio I'm at right now has the waves gold plugin pack, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end to manage in Live. It installed the Waveshell.dll file to the plugin folder, and to use any of them I have to open the waveshell in the plugin window, then scroll wayyyyy the gently caress down to get to my beloved RComp.

Is there a way I can set some of my favorite plugins as favorites so I dont have to scroll through this bitch of a list?

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

pennywisdom posted:

The studio I'm at right now has the waves gold plugin pack, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end to manage in Live. It installed the Waveshell.dll file to the plugin folder, and to use any of them I have to open the waveshell in the plugin window, then scroll wayyyyy the gently caress down to get to my beloved RComp.

Is there a way I can set some of my favorite plugins as favorites so I dont have to scroll through this bitch of a list?

I don't know how either, I have to do that every time.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

pennywisdom posted:

No, but you can use the search function and type "RC".

I think there's not really a way unless you call a folder _fav or something and then move the DLLs to that place, but god help you if that's not the original folder it was installed in and the plugin is being a bitch about it. Another stupid workaround: create a disabled audio track, dump all your "favorites" on it, and every time you need one you copy + paste it to the track you need it on.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

pennywisdom posted:

I remember reading about a program called shell2vst that will split the shell dll files into separate dll files for each effect. I think it was on KVRaudio so try searching there.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Lewk posted:

I love this program but i'll be damned if i ever finish any music in it cos i'm too busy just playing with it.

Haha same here. Now that I am getting a Launchpad (shipped today! can't wait!) my productivity will probably be even lower.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Cheap upgrades to Suite at the moment, like $500 off... check https://www.ableton.com

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Also a public beta for Max4Live and a release date/price. It comes out November 23rd and will be $300.

In other words I spend $300 to turn my APC into a monome and then I get all the max stuff on top of that. Good deal 8)

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

wayfinder posted:

Cheap upgrades to Suite at the moment, like $500 off... check https://www.ableton.com

I don't currently have a registered product (only used the 2 week trial)...What prices are you seeing for your upgrades?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

stun runner posted:

In other words I spend $300 to turn my APC into a monome and then I get all the max stuff on top of that. Good deal 8)

I'm honestly not that impressed with the integration currently. It's very cool to have Max inside Live, but it feels really unpolished and not like something that should cost me $300. It's like an early beta rather than the near-complete product.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 5, 2009

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

k0konutz posted:

I don't currently have a registered product (only used the 2 week trial)...What prices are you seeing for your upgrades?

I've got Live 6, and I can upgrade to the live 8 suite download for 359 USD... I'm not sure if/how the prices vary for other upgrades though?

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

So I'm recording a song at 150bpm so I can hear the click more, and I'm trying to bring in drums from addictive drums. Thing is, I want the drums to play at half speed because it's BLAZIN fast and doesn't suit the song at all.

What's the easiest way to bring in the drums?

I can't seem to find any tempo adjustments in addictive drums other than the sync button, and if I try to drag in the preset and click yes to the 'tempo sync' dialogue that comes up, the audio just gets really glitchy.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

pennywisdom posted:

So I'm recording a song at 150bpm so I can hear the click more, and I'm trying to bring in drums from addictive drums. Thing is, I want the drums to play at half speed because it's BLAZIN fast and doesn't suit the song at all.

What's the easiest way to bring in the drums?

I can't seem to find any tempo adjustments in addictive drums other than the sync button, and if I try to drag in the preset and click yes to the 'tempo sync' dialogue that comes up, the audio just gets really glitchy.

By "hear the click more" I assume you mean more frequently, smaller subdivisions. It sounds to me like you're doing a slower song, 75BPM and you don't want the click to be that slow so you doubled the tempo. Is that right?
There may be a better way, but can you just make your own metronome? Make a new midi track, keep your tempo map at what you want the drums to be and just have another loop hitting 8th notes at 150bpm (and of course pick a fun sound like COWBELL) and then get rid of the track later.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Exactly what I meant. If I do that now, it will slow down all my guitar parts though correct?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

pennywisdom posted:

Exactly what I meant. If I do that now, it will slow down all my guitar parts though correct?
If they are warped, yes, but you can turn warping off for the clips and they will play at the speed they were recorded at. If you need to keep them warped, hitting the [ :2 ] button in the clip view panel will make the clip playback twice as fast (as if the global tempo was still at 150).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

k0konutz posted:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Aw, not fair. My upgrade routes are both 20 euros more expensive :(.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I do have Sampler, that's probably why.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Is suite really worth it though? I have logic studio and reason. Not sure if I really need yet more sound making devices. hmm.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

If I wanted to take a note, and pitch bend it up over the time of like 24 beats...how can I do that? Is there any way to do this without using a pitch wheel off a synth and just slowly pushing it?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

BlazinChronic posted:

If I wanted to take a note, and pitch bend it up over the time of like 24 beats...how can I do that? Is there any way to do this without using a pitch wheel off a synth and just slowly pushing it?

glide(portamento/glissando)

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Lewk posted:

Is suite really worth it though? I have logic studio and reason. Not sure if I really need yet more sound making devices. hmm.

I've been debating this myself, and I think the answer for me is a tentative yes. Right now I mostly use Reason as a Rewire slave because I have a lot of refills and sound libraries that I use for things like cello tracks or piano accompaniments.

But the thing about Reason is that it sucks. Or, if it doesn't suck, it at least hasn't kept up with the times e.g., the non-resizeable graphics, the weird sequencer, etc. I mean, it sounds great with enough effects, but I find it more and more of a hassle to work with than anything else, perhaps as a result of having been spoiled by Ableton's slick and thoughtful workflow.

So, yeah, for $200, I may as well get it. Tensioner alone looks pretty interesting.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

And now for my own question:

Is there any way I could use Logic Pro's effects in Ableton? I don't see them show up in my browser, but I may not be checking the right folders for them.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Mandals posted:

And now for my own question:

Is there any way I could use Logic Pro's effects in Ableton? I don't see them show up in my browser, but I may not be checking the right folders for them.

I think logics synths and effects are locked in to logic only. Kinda makes sense commercially. You could export the audio and whack it into logic then bounce it out again. Or possibly run ableton as a rewire slave to logic though i've never done this myself.

Generally I mix all my stuff in logic anyway.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

BlazinChronic posted:

You should be able to do this using the automation lanes. Check out the Live Lesson on automation, you can do all kinds of great stuff with it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I bought a launchpad on a payday whim and I have to say I think I'm kinda underwhelmed with it. Its pretty as gently caress but it doesent really do much I couldnt already have done fairly efficiently with keyboard shortcuts. Less efficiently even having to jump to a new page to adjust an effect/mixer level rather than just dragging the knob in Ableton.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Ok, here's one.

So I want to do a rhythmic displacement thing, where you have say a piano riff going on it's own, then the drums kick in, but beat one is not where the ear has established it to be with the piano playing on it's own. Thus creating a weird but cool groove thing.

In a trad sequencer I would simply do this by chopping up the midi region, getting rid of certain bit, then playing it, and in kicks the beat. I can do it the same way in the arrange page. But i'd like to get the clips just to do it automatically. Is there a way to have, for example, a bar and a half, play the first half bar then loop round the whole bar, as if that beat (say 3) is actually beat 1?

I wish that made sense. I've got a 1st class degree in music majoring in bloody composition and music technology and I can't for the life of me explain what I mean properly! Perhaps it's time for bed.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Three Red Lights posted:

I bought a launchpad on a payday whim and I have to say I think I'm kinda underwhelmed with it. Its pretty as gently caress but it doesent really do much I couldnt already have done fairly efficiently with keyboard shortcuts. Less efficiently even having to jump to a new page to adjust an effect/mixer level rather than just dragging the knob in Ableton.

I thought about this but I'm still considering it so that I can set the laptop aside and half closed and not look at it during a song.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Oh, neat, I get a free upgrade to "Live Intro" from LE 7. And... still only 12 effects per project. Guys, you are killing me on this poo poo. This is my only beef with not being able to afford the full version of Live, 12 effects is just not enough.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Lewk posted:

Ok, here's one.

So I want to do a rhythmic displacement thing, where you have say a piano riff going on it's own, then the drums kick in, but beat one is not where the ear has established it to be with the piano playing on it's own. Thus creating a weird but cool groove thing.

In a trad sequencer I would simply do this by chopping up the midi region, getting rid of certain bit, then playing it, and in kicks the beat. I can do it the same way in the arrange page. But i'd like to get the clips just to do it automatically. Is there a way to have, for example, a bar and a half, play the first half bar then loop round the whole bar, as if that beat (say 3) is actually beat 1?

I wish that made sense. I've got a 1st class degree in music majoring in bloody composition and music technology and I can't for the life of me explain what I mean properly! Perhaps it's time for bed.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but in a midi clip there's the brackets for the beginning and end of the loop, then also flags for the where the clip starts, and you can drag the beginning one a bar and a half before the loop starts, or just have it start halfway through the loop or w/e.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

mezzir posted:

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but in a midi clip there's the brackets for the beginning and end of the loop, then also flags for the where the clip starts, and you can drag the beginning one a bar and a half before the loop starts, or just have it start halfway through the loop or w/e.

Yeah, i've been playing with these. But for some reason it doesn't work quite right. I'm going to have another go now and see what happens.

Yeah, I just cant seem to get it right. I don't know if it's me or ableton. iv'e tried loads of cominations but live always seems to start the drums on the beat I want the brain to think it's on, but it's not actually there.

So I have a 2 bar loop. The first note, on the loops beat one, is what I want the brain to hear. But I don't want the kick to start on this. The actual note I want as the real beat one is actually beat 1.3.2. I'd like the loop to play as it is now, but when i set the kick to go off, it actually hits on beat 1.3.2. Or set 1.3.2 to be beat one. I've messed with the clip loop and start points but the kick always seems to fall on the beat I don't want it to.

Lewk fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 6, 2009

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Lewk posted:

Yeah, i've been playing with these. But for some reason it doesn't work quite right. I'm going to have another go now and see what happens.

Yeah, I just cant seem to get it right. I don't know if it's me or ableton. iv'e tried loads of cominations but live always seems to start the drums on the beat I want the brain to think it's on, but it's not actually there.

So I have a 2 bar loop. The first note, on the loops beat one, is what I want the brain to hear. But I don't want the kick to start on this. The actual note I want as the real beat one is actually beat 1.3.2. I'd like the loop to play as it is now, but when i set the kick to go off, it actually hits on beat 1.3.2. Or set 1.3.2 to be beat one. I've messed with the clip loop and start points but the kick always seems to fall on the beat I don't want it to.

If you have Live 8, can't you move the actual kick waveform to where you want it to start?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is this what you're trying to do? http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128490

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just got my Launchpad, super excited...
Don't use Ableton Launchpad Edition. I can't open any of the sessions I made during my Suite trial or any of the Tom Cosm sets...good thing Suite upgrade is on the cheap right now!

Lewk
May 22, 2001

prom candy posted:

Is this what you're trying to do? http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128490

Not really, but the quant settings is a way around it. Moving the kick waveform might be a way around it, but ideally I want the kick to be on the actual timeline beats of 1-2-3-4 because the kick is the 'true' beat. The ostinato previous to that is an illusion, to make you think the first note is beat 1, but it could be any beat, the kick displaces it into proper time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
For APC dudes, it looks like there was a monome included in the M4L beta. I'm gonna try this in about an hour, but I thought you guys might wanna know.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=128316&hilit=monome+apc