Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

I had to chuckle at their site when I was ordering my Summit7 blocker.

"US EXCHANGE RATE
NOW 0%
MASSIVE SAVINGS
FOR YOU! "

Join their Goalie World Forums and mention it when you're ordering for free shipping. I saved $140 over the local shops buying through Simmons.

Their ordering system is a bit weird. It's funny talking to guys in a hockey shop in Toronto and having them send a mask to Scottsdale, but their service has been good and on certain items they beat Goalie Monkey's price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
The RX5's are awesome, I would spend the extra $80 though, they'll hold up a bit longer.

Not that I've had a problem with my RX5's, they're still as solid as when I got them.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

sba posted:

The RX5's are awesome, I would spend the extra $80 though, they'll hold up a bit longer.

Not that I've had a problem with my RX5's, they're still as solid as when I got them.

Nice. I'm trying to convince my mom/girlfriend to get em for me as an early Christmas preset. Problem is they don't realize how good a price three and a quarter is for pads, glove, and blocker.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Nice. I'm trying to convince my mom/girlfriend to get em for me as an early Christmas preset. Problem is they don't realize how good a price three and a quarter is for pads, glove, and blocker.

I was debating buying a set to stash away for when Bauer inevitably ruins the entire Itech line. :(

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Still shocked from learning in the old N/V thread that MAF rocks a 3/4 hollow.

His pushes are so loving long and hard.

(that's what she said)

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
These RX7 and 5 are quality, then? I've been using some RBK 8ks for about a year and have never loved them. This seems like too good a deal to pass up.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

nahanahs posted:

These RX7 and 5 are quality, then? I've been using some RBK 8ks for about a year and have never loved them. This seems like too good a deal to pass up.

I seriously worship and adore mine, best pads I've ever owned. They even broke in really fast.

There's pics earlier in the thread, but:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Each model comes in such a variance of sizes. If I try on a different model of Itech pads, will that size carry across to the RX5/7?
Maybe I'll get lucky and Perani's will have some actual RX5/7s to try on.

Funkulous
Jul 15, 2005

by elpintogrande
This looks like way too nice a deal to pass up. The problem is, I've been playing in some handed down Brian's pads and I have no idea what the measurement on them is, nor what size pads would be optimal (I'm 5'9 if anyone can offer any general advice based on my height). I know it's been discussed elsewhere in the thread but I unfortunately don't have time to dig through all 51 pages at the moment... Maybe I'll head down to goalie monkey or hockey giant this weekend to try some on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The measurement is typically less your height, but the height of your knee from your ankle (your ATK, or ankle-to-knee, measurement). There are some rough estimates as to what ATK corresponds best to what size, and it differs for a lot of pads, but typically if you're not some kind of mutant then you'll be looking at something in a 32-34" pad.

I'm 5'10" and I wear a 35" because it was stock on the 8K I purchased, but I would probably be most comfortable in a 34". Give those sizes a try. There's usually an inch or so leeway, so if you should be in a 34" then you'll be ok in a 33" or 35", but you should always try on a pair of pads to make sure your knee won't fall off the landing gear.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
As a comparison, Martytoof and I have the same pads, RBK 8k 35" (though mine are Turco Breaks :smug:), but I'm 6'3", so height isn't as important at ATK and knee location in the pad, as he said.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Still shocked from learning in the old N/V thread that MAF rocks a 3/4 hollow.
How... how does that work? I don't understand the mechanics behind that, other than his legs must be made out of titanium.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

My current pads are 34" and I kinda feel they're too small, and I'm about 5-11. I'm probably going to get 35 or 36.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can never remember, is 3/4 super sharp or super dull? I forget how this works.

I like my skates as sharp as humanly possible.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Martytoof posted:

I can never remember, is 3/4 super sharp or super dull? I forget how this works.

I like my skates as sharp as humanly possible.

3/4 is pretty dull.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh ok, that's crazy then. How do people get any traction pushing with a weak hollow like that is beyond me. Every time my skates get even a little dull I start losing my edges.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I play at a 3/4 but I'm not pure butterfly and I really dig in on my pushes.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What is the story with Jonas Hiller's gear? I thought Koho got folded into CCM and then CCM into Reebok a while ago. And all that before the Ducks current color scheme. The pads look like 580s, and the mitts something I don't recognize.

I should really be doing my homework instead of thinking about hockey equipment.

Edit: for pic.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 5, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Goaliemonkey is carrying a line of KoHo gear. I guess there was enough demand that they revived the brand in short supply. I like them, but I'm not in love with them like I used to be in the St. Patrick days. They still look amazing though.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

Oh ok, that's crazy then. How do people get any traction pushing with a weak hollow like that is beyond me. Every time my skates get even a little dull I start losing my edges.

http://www.sweet-stick.com/index.htm

This thing is your friend. When I had my Bauer Vapor XIX's they would go dull fast all the time. It seems like the metal is MUCH better with the One95's. I've gone from having to sharpen every 3 skates to every 12.

I'm 1/2 myself, it lets me shuffle quick and short without too much effort and I dont have problems digging in when sliding from side to side.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually JUST picked one of these up. We'll see how they do tonight!

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

My current pads are 34" and I kinda feel they're too small, and I'm about 5-11. I'm probably going to get 35 or 36.

I'm around that height and wear 36s but have always worn oversized pads by choice. If you're not used to them and you don't have powerful legs, they will be huge and goofy and unwieldy.

I like my blades pretty dull but that Sweet Stick thing looks neat. If you want the lanyards with them though they cost $10 extra, which is pretty funny.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I'm around that height and wear 36s but have always worn oversized pads by choice. If you're not used to them and you don't have powerful legs, they will be huge and goofy and unwieldy.

powerful legs I'm not worried about, and I din't think they'll be too bulky, but we'll see. I'm going to try and get to a proshop this weekend, try any itechs on to see how they feel, hopefully in a couple different sizes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I took two shots off the inside of my knee tonight -- both times I was slamming shut the butterfly and the guy got it in there lightning speed. I stopped both shots, but to be honest in hindsight my knees are so sore that I wish I'd let both in. This is, of course, the night that I misplaced one of my kneepads so I decided to go without.

Dumb loving idea.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Along the same lines, I played in a floor hockey tournament last night where they wouldn't let the goalies wear any equipment (really) and I couldn't stop dropping to my knees to stop shots. Now I'm lined up with four games tonight with deep red and blue knees. Is four Motrin before hockey bad?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nahanahs posted:

Is four Motrin before hockey bad?

If popping a chemical cocktail before hockey is wrong, I don't want to be right!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

nahanahs posted:

Is four Motrin before hockey bad?

Pre-game drugs for every game I play include 400mg Ibuprofen, 1000mg Acetaminophen, and Vitamin B complex. I find that when I take this bit of happiness I reduce injuries throughout the game and am able to return to work the next day with minimal stiffness. Yay for drugs!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

nahanahs posted:

Along the same lines, I played in a floor hockey tournament last night where they wouldn't let the goalies wear any equipment (really) and I couldn't stop dropping to my knees to stop shots. Now I'm lined up with four games tonight with deep red and blue knees. Is four Motrin before hockey bad?

Why arent you playing ice hockey? I can understand people with limited rink access not playing but come on your profile says you live in Detroit there has to be something!

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I'll rephrase. I played in a floor hockey tournament in addition to my regular league. If "hockey" is in the name, I'll play it.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I haven't played hockey in around two months. :cry: There hasn't been a pickup game or open practice within 70 miles in that entire time span. The next pickup game is scheduled for the 26th (which I have to miss) and then the 28th. Virginia sucks for hockey.

Also I got a phone call asking if I wanted to drive 80 miles each way once a week to join an adult team. I called back the next day to say yes, and they had already found someone else.

I've resorted to learning how to play catcher in baseball. I made some pretty awesome kick saves on wild pitches when I first started, steering those rebounds right into the corners :downs:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ManicJason posted:

I've resorted to learning how to play catcher in baseball. I made some pretty awesome kick saves on wild pitches when I first started, steering those rebounds right into the corners :downs:

I'm certain we've posted this before, but I automatically thought of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdf4GeT4ELA

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

nahanahs posted:

I'll rephrase. I played in a floor hockey tournament in addition to my regular league. If "hockey" is in the name, I'll play it.

That's patently retarded. Were they using pee-wee nets or something?

I played in a floor hockey group back in college, and we let guys wear full gear if they were up to it. Heck, in the floor hockey league I played with last year (and in december) they even provide worn-out leg pads for the goalies. Did they at least let you wear a mask?

Seeing as I'm not a real goalie and I just browse this thread for tips, how the gently caress do you even manage to get down into the butterfly position with tennis shoes on? I've been watching a lot of videos about butterfly saves and positioning, and it seems like to pull off the butterfly you have to let your skates slide backwards and to the sides- which is all possible because you're at such an extereme angle due to the skate blade. You don't have that on your shoes. I've been trying to drop down and try to force my shins outwards but that has mixed success and my pads (relatively inexpensive streethockey) just don't turn outwards that reliably. Heck, I'm almost about to try and put a piece of plastic on the inside part of the outsole to help me slide out easier.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eh, sort of. Butterfly is more about driving your knees to the ground than it is about just letting your skates dictate how you fall. Don't get me wrong, having your skates slide out is an important part of the butterfly, but I could probably substitute just driving my knees down and letting my tennis shoes angle out. It's hard to explain and even harder for me to think about without trying it, and my knees are already super bruised so I'm not likely to experiment any time today :haw:

So I guess what I want to get across is that butterfly is more than just letting gravity take you down to the ice (er, or floor) after your legs slip out from under you.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
A low squatted stance will let you just shoot your knees together and you'll shut the 5 hole fast. Watch how far most NHL goalies shoulders drop when they butterfly, it's not much. Getting confident with this will help when you want to bait shooters into an easier save.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I learned to play goalie by playing street hockey in shoes for years, so I was shocked to learn how tall of a stance you can use on ice and still butterfly.

Apparently good things happen if I complain enough. I'm waiting for an email confirmation that I just got a spot on a C league team 80 miles away. Also I just discovered that there is a 120' x 75' rink in town that has pickup games once a week (plus some weird $500 a year membership where you get three hours of ice time every day). Maybe full ice hockey doesn't exist in Richmond, VA anymore, but apparently tiny hockey does.

I think I'm going to celebrate by putting on my old pads and sliding around my kitchen floor trying to use the correct leg to recover.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
It is amazing how our legs don't just snap in 30 places if you think about the motion of a butterfly. The legs really contort. I rarely feel like I can get into a butterfly position without my pads on without thinking of snapping my knees in half for some reason.. and I am very very flexible.. ehh. Probably because I hurt my knee when I first started playing.

Hopefully I get to play with my rinks clinic team tonight.. games are so hard to come by when you aren't on a team.. uhg. Those clinic guys make me look pro.. such a confidence booster. It is kinda nice though because they have a lot of heart and genuinely want to play the game.. so its nice :3:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

El Mariachi posted:

That's patently retarded. Were they using pee-wee nets or something?

Yeah, it was. My right knee is still deep red and grey (?) from the bruising. They wouldn't let anyone wear any padding, because there wasn't enough for everyone. The knees hurt the most now, but the worst during play was taking whacks to the bare knuckles every time I'd cover.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Screw that.. woulda played out on that one. Sometimes its fun being able to move all over the rink (court?).

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
The people around here who organize the floor hockey only provide the stick and the mask, if you want more you bring it yourself. They do have odd rules about pads though, they cannot be ice hockey pads, they seem to frown on ball hockey pads and feel that all you need is leg pads and gloves. I probably look like a lunatic wearing reebok street hockey pads with knee stacks sewn in, a cup, my R4 glove set, and my cateye road hockey mask. On the other hand, I have yet to dive out of the way of a shot like some poor souls wearing ancient nylon and foam pads. Floor hockey is great fun! :D

When I was in highschool, one time they held a multischool floor hockey tournament. A few friends ran up to tell me that some of the schools did not have any goal gear and that our gym teacher was letting my gear be used as the loaner set (we played floor hockey twice a day, every day so I kept gear in the equipment room), as one of the other gym teachers saw my pads standing in the corner and pushed our teacher into allowing it. Apparently they had been used for ~3 games, were soaked with other kids sweat and I was very unimpressed, after the game where I was told they were taken off, hosed down and placed in front of an industrial fan so they would be ready for when our team was actually going to play. That day I learned to keep your poo poo locked up all the time. :( I also learned that other people using your gear will make it feel slimy and gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well I use just about the gimpest gear ever, then. I still use a baseball glove, even though I finally got my own blocker. A catcher's chest pad, a cup, knee pads under my leg pads, and elbow pads. Oh and a cheap roller hockey mask.

I ended up having to wear wristbands to protect the wrist I use the baseball glove on. Still, I get bruised on my left arm a lot from making saves.

• Locked thread