Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Isn't adventure riding just going somewhere off the beaten path on your bike and having fun? Does it have to be filled with tragedy and hardship to qualify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

8ender posted:

Isn't adventure riding just going somewhere off the beaten path on your bike and having fun? Does it have to be filled with tragedy and hardship to qualify?

Are you kidding? It even has a specific dress code.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003
More stuntin'. Starting to be halfway pleased with my night time results, here are a few from last night:

And the lady took this one of myself:

inolen fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 4, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

8ender posted:

Isn't adventure riding just going somewhere off the beaten path on your bike and having fun?

Pretty much yeah

quote:

Does it have to be filled with tragedy and hardship to qualify?

Tragedy? Certainly not, that's the last thing that should happen. Hardship? Not necessarily.

inolen posted:

stuntin'

Out of curiosity, are you wearing any kind of shoulder armor under there?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

"[working title posted:

"]
Maybe there's truth in that but he hardly did himself any favours by wearing a balaclava the whole time. He wasn't exactly open about it. The 'nice ride' that he took Boorman on ended up with a least one crash, one from a rider rear ending someone else in the group, hardly looked like a responsible group.

Group rides are just a clusterfuck in general. That goes double when a camera shows up. I don't know M13 beyond seeing a few of his videos, but he seems like a decent enough dude. You really can't control the other riders in a group ride and sometimes even the best riders will have a mental lapse. Get a bunch of dudes together for a nice ride through the hills and toss some cameras and famous dudes in there and you can pretty much promise that there will be crashing. Also, it's completely dick of them to show his face and his license plate, and while selling his bike seems like a bit of a cop out, it's still assholish of them.

Man, that sprocket is just ludicrous huge.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I've never been on a group ride and I don't plan on ever going on one. The idea as a whole seems stupid and unnecessarily dangerous, especially when sport bikes are involved.

inolen
Dec 10, 2003

redscare posted:

Out of curiosity, are you wearing any kind of shoulder armor under there?

We both wear the Alpinestar Bionic jacket and Dainese 3x knee pads.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

inolen posted:

We both wear the Alpinestar Bionic jacket and Dainese 3x knee pads.

Cool, seen a few stuntas gently caress themselves up royally binning it off a foot-in-the-seat circle or whatever cause they weren't wearing gear.

And christ I just noticed that sprocket. What's the diameter on that thing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

I've never been on a group ride and I don't plan on ever going on one. The idea as a whole seems stupid and unnecessarily dangerous, especially when sport bikes are involved.

Never riding with me again? :ohdear:

Group rides are fine as long as everyone understands their place and is comfortable there. There's no shame in going slow if that's what you're comfortable with, and a lot of people, especially sportbike riders, forget that when the guy in front of them ups the pace a bit. Group rides are fun but people have to remember that priority one is still getting home safe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a core group of guys I'll ride in a group with, and thats it. I've been friends with these guys since middle school, and we've all been riding since at least that.

Thats it though. I generally wont ride with other people I know, and I certainly wont just join up with strangers groups, or let them join up with me. Theres just wayyyyyyyyy too much risk there. Someone always winds up having to prove that they're faster than you, and then it all goes sideways.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Never riding with me again? :ohdear:

Group rides are fine as long as everyone understands their place and is comfortable there. There's no shame in going slow if that's what you're comfortable with, and a lot of people, especially sportbike riders, forget that when the guy in front of them ups the pace a bit. Group rides are fun but people have to remember that priority one is still getting home safe.

Its not really a group if its just a couple guys :glomp:.

I'm ok with something like what we had on the Crest in August, where everyone went their own pace (I *think* I'd actually feel safer if I was mixed in with some cars because then the risk of ending up like that unfortunate Ducati rider is reduced), but I guess my image of a group ride is a bit skewed - when I hear "group ride brah," I assume a dozen squids getting retarded.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
The only group rides (more than me + my dad) I've been on had 40-60+ bikes in them, and everyone was safe and sane.

Scooter riders are the best riders :colbert:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The only group rides (more than me + my dad) I've been on had 40-60+ bikes in them, and everyone was safe and sane.

Scooter riders are the best riders :colbert:

40-60 scooters? So you rode around in Parisian traffic, big deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Its not really a group if its just a couple guys :glomp:.

I'm ok with something like what we had on the Crest in August, where everyone went their own pace (I *think* I'd actually feel safer if I was mixed in with some cars because then the risk of ending up like that unfortunate Ducati rider is reduced), but I guess my image of a group ride is a bit skewed - when I hear "group ride brah," I assume a dozen squids getting retarded.

That was actually an interesting experience for me, because I'd never really gone on a ride with car guys before. It seemed, however, that everyone ran their own pace, the fast cars were up front hanging it out, I was hanging out in the middle group, and we had a good chase car looking out after everyone else. People waited (mostly :xd:) and we just figured things out from there.

I was up on Mullholland recently on a weekend and it was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. gently caress that place...not to mention the g/f's incident with getting run off the road. loving squids.

On the bright side, riding with good, trusted friends is a blast. Once I get a supermoto we'll head down and slum mildly offroad in the national forests.

Content: I took the bags off the ZZR last night to adjust the suspension and clean the tail fairings:

Those exhausts just remind me of :downs: :sigh:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

I was up on Mullholland recently on a weekend and it was a clusterfuck of epic proportions. gently caress that place...not to mention the g/f's incident with getting run off the road. loving squids.

I stay the gently caress away from Mulholland. If its not morons that'll gently caress you over, its gonna be the cops. And since the speed limit on there is so drat low, they'll gently caress you hard.

To contribute to the topic, here's another picture from the Suzuki museum (I fear I'll never get around to making that effort post :sigh:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
The bike in the middle has boostu! Its a 1982 XN85

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

redscare posted:

The bike in the middle has boostu! Its a 1982 XN85

I like how the "TURBO" sticker on the front is backwards so it shows up correctly in peoples mirrors.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Z3n posted:

I don't know M13 beyond seeing a few of his videos, but he seems like a decent enough dude.

Yeah, in some video's he is a bit stupid, but overall he's just a charismatic guy that likes to ride alot, and the balaclava is just his "thing".

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone with 7 grand get this and give us a report on it.

1982 Custom Built Motorcycles HONDA MAGNA BOEING T-50

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slim Pickens posted:

That's just :krad:

But:

quote:

USE TO BE NEW

Yeah, I used to be skinny, too, before I got fat :haw: Somehow the ladies aren't impressed :confused:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
These are good videos. PSA mostly but awesome stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCy6vw0dkI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvxzNuAQv40

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Silver posted:

Why don't we get good PSAs like that :(

Here's another good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQehckD8Es&feature=player_embedded

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Silver posted:

Those were great!

Slim Pickens posted:

Someone with 7 grand get this and give us a report on it.

1982 Custom Built Motorcycles HONDA MAGNA BOEING T-50

The bottom end is just weak, maybe there's a hint of oomph somewhere up this powerbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... BANG

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

Here's another good one:

These all three were pretty great. That last one was "oh this is a nice little adOHFUCK"

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Here's another good one:

Amazing camera work and pacing. Fantastic PSA

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How'd he lose it going in a straight line, though?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
spun rear,step out, highside?

I'm an Aussie and iv never seen any of those PSA's. Apparently NSW doesn't give a poo poo.

It's currently bike awareness week here, but instead of bike awareness of which i have seen a single sign saying 'look for bikes' all i have seen is the 'stop speeding, stop splitting, etc etc. It's kinda depressing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm surprised by the ammount of "Look Out for Motorcycles" signs I see around Central IL. I see it on lots of cars (including cop cars) and big banners here and there. I'd get a bumper sticker, but it's yellow and doesn't match my car. :smith:
Not a lof since I've moved up to Chicago, unfortunately.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Dubs posted:

spun rear,step out, highside?

I'm an Aussie and iv never seen any of those PSA's. Apparently NSW doesn't give a poo poo.

It's currently bike awareness week here, but instead of bike awareness of which i have seen a single sign saying 'look for bikes' all i have seen is the 'stop speeding, stop splitting, etc etc. It's kinda depressing.

I saw "CHECK YOUR BLINDSPOT TWICE FOR MOTORCYCLES" on the Warringah Freeway last week.

Then on Sunday, my first proper ride since getting a bike, I had arseholes overtaking me all day without leaving any margin for error, or me braking, or swerving within my lane. A campaign is needed to make sure drivers at least pretend a bike is a full lane wide when overtaking..

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Don't ride 10/10ths:

http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/2301/cool-motogp-road-safety-commercial.html

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Also, see the first video Silver posted.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

It literally took me until the second to last crash to realize that the obstacles at the edge of the track were not actually there. I was too busy marveling at how many riders fixated on the bus stop/phone booth/mailbox at the side of the track...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BRA-BRA-BRA-BRA-BRA-BRA-BRA

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slim Pickens posted:

I wish someone would use this at an MSF

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

Here's another good one:

Why don't we get ANY PSAs?

sirbeefalot posted:

It literally took me until the second to last crash to realize that the obstacles at the edge of the track were not actually there. I was too busy marveling at how many riders fixated on the bus stop/phone booth/mailbox at the side of the track...

Hahaha me too. :( I was sitting here going "Why the hell would there be a phone booth in the middle of the track like that? ... oh."

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Just making sure everyone saw the South Park episode from last night about bikers

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251889

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

cmorrow001 posted:

Just making sure everyone saw the South Park episode from last night about bikers

Very funny.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

cmorrow001 posted:

i not only agree with everything said in this show but i would say that i believe all of it with fundamentalist religious fervor.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
hilarious, but now I'm paranoid that someone who doesn't know the difference between a cruiser and a harley is going to poo poo on my seat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i not only agree with everything said in this show but i would say that i believe all of it with fundamentalist religious fervor.

Amen. Those guys were fags.