Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX

Eeek posted:

I shot them tonight. Lamb of God was there too- will screw with those pictures later.

Mail me your photo pass so I can doctor it for GWAR's Dec. 2 show. I'm not affiliated with any publishers and have no concert experience and therefor cannot get a pass, and I don't want to sneak my garbage P&S in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Semi-recent stuff:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bloody August posted:

Mail me your photo pass so I can doctor it for GWAR's Dec. 2 show. I'm not affiliated with any publishers and have no concert experience and therefor cannot get a pass, and I don't want to sneak my garbage P&S in there.

You clearly have no concert experience since you don't seem to get how a photo pass works. The show he shot was a lamb of god show, so he had a lamb of god photo pass. Somehow I think they might not let you into a GWAR show next month with a photo pass for Lamb of God. Also almost all photo passes have some sort of code involving letters or a word for each show that they write on the pass so they can't be used at more than one date, and the security is told said code.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
From everything I've been reading, Lamb of God's photo pass doesn't allow one to photograph another band, just Lamb of God.

Also, I was joking, artfag.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

evil_bunnY posted:

Semi-recent stuff:

i like the first one alot, the flash effect works well with the emotion. The second one though, looks just like a hot mess compared to some of your other work.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's close to how I feel about them too.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Just a couple from the Mute Math show in Houston last Friday. First time doing photography at a concert of this size. Haven't gotten around to doing any processing.

spritely
Oct 13, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

Just a couple from the Mute Math show in Houston last Friday. First time doing photography at a concert of this size. Haven't gotten around to doing any processing.

Nice edit. 2nd one is *money*. is that warehouse? who'd you get a pass through?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Yeah, Warehouse Live. I was doing the photos for a friend that writes for Space City Rock.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I've just put in my first application for a photo pass as a volunteer for a site; dunno if many people will recognize the name, but it's Urthboy. I'm hyped, even more so if I can get it as my first gig.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

I Might Be Adam posted:

wicked mute math photos

i am seeing them next week, wish i had a photo pass though.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Bloody August posted:

From everything I've been reading, Lamb of God's photo pass doesn't allow one to photograph another band, just Lamb of God.

Also, I was joking, artfag.

I got the photo pass from GWAR's manager, but it is a Lamb of God pass. They stamp it with the date. IF you want to come to my house and get it you can.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

I Might Be Adam posted:

Holy gently caress. Definitely want to see this when you've processed it.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

i am seeing them next week, wish i had a photo pass though.

Yeah I saw them a few weeks ago and the venue were nazis about the camera policy. They are definitely a great band for photographers, you're bound to get some great shots.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I figured this would possibly the the best place to ask.

Does anyone have any tips for shooting Runway Fashion? I'd imagine the main difference is better lighting.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I've only done videography for runway shows. I would imagine trying to get a lot of portrait shots from head to toe and then waist up shots. Lighting won't be an issue but trying to keep the photos interesting will. I remember shooting video and trying to come with good camera moves like tracking them from a mirror on the ceiling or something of the like.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

I've only done videography for runway shows. I would imagine trying to get a lot of portrait shots from head to toe and then waist up shots. Lighting won't be an issue but trying to keep the photos interesting will. I remember shooting video and trying to come with good camera moves like tracking them from a mirror on the ceiling or something of the like.

Nice, it's a University fashion show so I'll have a prime location as I am the "main" photographer. I figure just camp out on the end with a 70-200.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Well, if you have a prime spot at the end of the runway, that 70-200 is going to be awkward when they get to the end before they turn around. You'll just have to make sure that all of your shots are dead on before they get to the end because if you miss it, they've turned around and now have their back towards you. Plus, don't they usually send the next model out so they pass each other? That really shortens your window for good shots.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

Well, if you have a prime spot at the end of the runway, that 70-200 is going to be awkward when they get to the end before they turn around. You'll just have to make sure that all of your shots are dead on before they get to the end because if you miss it, they've turned around and now have their back towards you. Plus, don't they usually send the next model out so they pass each other? That really shortens your window for good shots.

I guess I'll figure something out. I'm heading in early so I'll borrow a model and see what works best.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you're at the end, you'll want to be off to the side.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

If you're at the end, you'll want to be off to the side.

So, basically at one of the corners? I can see that being better. Of course I have no idea what the venue is like so I'll see when I get there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

So, basically at one of the corners? I can see that being better. Of course I have no idea what the venue is like so I'll see when I get there.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I feel embarrassingly retarded, but thanks. That was really helpful.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Shot a concert the other night. It was O.A.R., with a band called Elmwood opening for them. Rules were that we were only allowed to shoot the first 3 songs of the set, and no flash was allowed. Honestly, I thought Elmwood was more expressive and energetic, but then again, I only saw the first three of O.A.R.'s set. I had a lot of fun, though. I shot with a D300 and 17-35 2.8 + 80-200 2.8. I wasn't really sure how to process, so I mostly just did exposure, fill light, and contrast.

Elmwood

O.A.R.

edit: cut it to 3 photos; here's the link to the sets on Flickr:
Elmwood: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickkneer/sets/72157622613203157/
O.A.R.: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickkneer/sets/72157622737467144/

dakana fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 6, 2009

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I believe we agreed to limiting posts to 3 photos. Not bad though.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
"We" = HPL and you.

I actually agree with you, however with bands I find that very limiting, which is why I try to make small sets of mostly medium sized pics and one or two large.

And those are great shots, particularly the tenor sax player against GREEN.

spritely
Oct 13, 2009

pwn posted:

"We" = HPL and you.

I actually agree with you, however with bands I find that very limiting, which is why I try to make small sets of mostly medium sized pics and one or two large.

Love the first two. And I believe the saxophonist owes you a BJ.

Careful about cutting off limbs!

I'm guilty of 3+ photos. Forgot about the rules. Shorry 'bout that. Personally, I don't mind 3+ from others, as long as they're well edited.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Ahhh first three song rule. Lets get rid of the the photographers just as the band and the crowd are getting into it.

Is there a quicker way for bands to shoot themselves in the foot?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cyberbob posted:

Ahhh first three song rule. Lets get rid of the the photographers just as the band and the crowd are getting into it.

Is there a quicker way for bands to shoot themselves in the foot?

To be fair, I see a lot of concert photographers that like to stand straight up in the photo pit, blocking the view for the people in the front row who either a) paid top dollar to be there or b) got to the venue early enough to be at the front of the line, then waited until the doors opened, then waited at the barricades at the front through all the other bands for the headliner only to have some photographer stand in their way.

At least with the three song rule, the annoying photographers are out of the way and realistically, if you're shooting on assignment to get a photo for a show review, you only need one or two good photos. Back in the old, old days of large format press cameras, editors would send their photographers out with two pieces of film. The second piece was in case you screwed up the first shot.

There are also security concerns if it's a concert with a rowdy crowd. If there are lots of crowd surfers and stuff being thrown, security has to take care of the photographers as well. With the three-song rule, they can do their job without the extra worry and with more room to move in the pit. I'm sure there are plenty of photographers out there with tales of shows where they only got one song or less because of apeshit crowds.

HPL fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 5, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Been a while since I posted here; might as well throw up a few shots. Last month there was a local music night. The crowd wasn't that big but they really got into it.

Edit: the two bands are Nemes (http://www.myspace.com/nemes) and Fairview (http://www.myspace.com/itsafairview)

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 5, 2009

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
A party was held for FasterLouder.com.au (they're pretty prominant as far as Australian music news sites go, I believe) and some local bands played, I was asked to do photos. This was my first ever concert shoot, and it was awesome.

Also got to really try out the range on my 7D; was using the 17-55 f/2.8, shooting at 5000ISO. The ones I've left in colour were 12800 ISO.

Click here for the full 734x900 image.

Click here for the full 600x900 image.

Click here for the full 900x600 image.

e: turns out I'm a Photoshop scrub and can't make my watermark colour in greyscale pictures :butt:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

e: turns out I'm a Photoshop scrub and can't make my watermark colour in greyscale pictures :butt:
Put it on a layer above B&W.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

So, the fashion show I shot was pretty challenging. The lighting was awful - the spots were badly synced with where the models stood. So, they'd strike a pose in darkness. The runway was just weird.

I was pushing my ISO pretty heavily so it'll be interesting to see how they turn out. I think I've got some keepers though.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

pwn posted:

"We" = HPL and you.

spritely posted:

Love the first two. And I believe the saxophonist owes you a BJ.

Careful about cutting off limbs!

I'm guilty of 3+ photos. Forgot about the rules. Shorry 'bout that. Personally, I don't mind 3+ from others, as long as they're well edited.

rockcity posted:

I believe we agreed to limiting posts to 3 photos. Not bad though.

Whoops. Sorry about that. I read the first post and didn't see anything about a courtesy limit. I went ahead and edited the post, cutting it to three and then just linking to the sets for the rest.

Thanks for the compliments! I hear you about cutting off limbs. I kicked myself as I got halfway to the venue and then realized that I left the battery for my Rebel XT in the charger. With how good the light was, I could have used it and the 50 1.8 at ISO 800 or 400, but without a battery I had to stick to the D300 and 17-35 + 80-200, so I had nothing between 35 and 80 and had pretty limited mobility.

I was really happy with finally getting a good shot of the sax player. He was phenomenal, but was constantly in the shadows. I don't know if he wasn't hitting his light, or if his light just didn't exist, but he kept getting this great background light and then just lovely colored light in the face. Then he turned to the side and I fired off frames as fast as I could.

I really liked the show, and would love to get into shooting more.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I, Butthole posted:

A party was held for FasterLouder.com.au (they're pretty prominant as far as Australian music news sites go, I believe) and some local bands played, I was asked to do photos. This was my first ever concert shoot, and it was awesome.

I wanted that! :argh:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I wanted that! :argh:
Hahha, how many FL shooter are in here? I saw the email for the Sydney party but skipped on it as I had something else on that night.

It's always a gamble with FL, I sometimes don't bother buying tickets to certain gigs in the hope of getting a pass through the site but usually end up getting hosed over and missing out. It seems pretty competitive in Sydney anyway.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Grizzly Bear

Faust

(more on My Flickr)

Recently done a festival (FON Festival in Cumbria), and got asked to shoot Grizzly Bear at the Anson Rooms in Bristol. Grizzly Bear was my first one where I've had a specific area to be in, and the 3 song, no flash limit! Was fun though.

Edit: tables

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Wanted to see what you guys think of this. This is from a Mute Math show (second best show of my entire life) last night. Do you think there is potential in a collage/pano of this type when all you have is a point and shoot and no photo pass? So often its just spray and pray, but if I can use that to my advantage to create one cool piece from each show, I'd be pretty happy. Just thinking of how to make something different.

Click through for larger please, I didn't wanna chance breaking the table.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

Hahha, how many FL shooter are in here? I saw the email for the Sydney party but skipped on it as I had something else on that night.

It's always a gamble with FL, I sometimes don't bother buying tickets to certain gigs in the hope of getting a pass through the site but usually end up getting hosed over and missing out. It seems pretty competitive in Sydney anyway.

I only just joined, plus I'm in Brisbane which seems pretty relaxed. As far as photographers go, I think there's a good seven or eight just hanging around in Brisbane; there was myself and one other bloke at the 5th party.

Even though I managed to just get in, I've got myself passes to Shihad/Galvatrons later in the month, along with Karnivool. I'd love to figure out how to get myself onto a venue list rather than wait until the spreadsheet is updated every month and rush home from work trying to send out emails in vain; just two days ago I missed out on an opportunity to go behind the scenes of the Hungry Kids of Hungary's music video for FL, because I have no way to check my email until 5:30pm :(

e: Oh hey, Sydney's FL party got Philadelphia Grand Jury? Now I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

I, Butthole posted:

e: Oh hey, Sydney's FL party got Philadelphia Grand Jury? Now I'm jealous.
I am going to see the Philly J's next Friday. So excited, last time I only had an f2.8 and the lighting was terrible so I got no shots at all.
Taking a f1.8 now. Oh man, they have the BEST concerts.