Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I was in the bleachers at One Night Stand 2006. We were so close to the entrance ramp, that my friend touched Sandman. He had to get a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Carlton Banks posted:

I get to claim the WH2K record for worst Wrestlemania seat; I had 2nd to last row in the top deck at WM17. :smug:

well, unless someone here had a seat behind a pillar or in the bathroom or something
My seat was many hundreds of miles away. :colbert:

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Somebody mentioned Orton's "inverted backbreaker" in Beasley's thread and it got me thinking about "Above Average" Mike Sanders and how awesome he was. Where the gently caress is Mike Sanders nowadays? The guy was one of the few shining lights of the dying days of WCW and I really wanna see him wrestle again.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Somebody mentioned Orton's "inverted backbreaker" in Beasley's thread and it got me thinking about "Above Average" Mike Sanders and how awesome he was. Where the gently caress is Mike Sanders nowadays? The guy was one of the few shining lights of the dying days of WCW and I really wanna see him wrestle again.

Stand-up comedy. Seriously. WWE sent him to developmental after the purchase, he became a booker there, got fired, spent a couple months in TNA, spent a couple months in indies, decided he wanted to be a comedian.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

tzirean posted:

Stand-up comedy. Seriously. WWE sent him to developmental after the purchase, he became a booker there, got fired, spent a couple months in TNA, spent a couple months in indies, decided he wanted to be a comedian.
That's awesome, I remember him showing up in TNA as part of SEX back in the weekly PPV days and it makes sense that he's doing stand-up now because he was charismatic and funny as hell. If he was a few inches taller he would have probably been a big name in the business.

HHHH
Feb 8, 2004

Thanks for the seating advice. Got me some club level seats, at about the 20 yard line. Pre-sale code is WWEPHX if anyone wants to buy tickets early.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This gives me a good chance to ask, what is the nosebleeds when talking about seating at a ppv and where does the name come from? Based on the name alone it sounds like the best seats, but i get the impression that it is completely opposite?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oasx posted:

This gives me a good chance to ask, what is the nosebleeds when talking about seating at a ppv and where does the name come from? Based on the name alone it sounds like the best seats, but i get the impression that it is completely opposite?

Really?

It's when you're seated so high up in the stadium that your nose bleeds. It's the worst seating for seeing anything.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

your seats are so high in the arena your nose will start bleedin from the altitude. nosebleeds are generally regarded as the worst and cheapest seats.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
I'm probably not the first to ask this, but I've always wondered why the main event of Wrestlemania VIII wasn't Ric Flair v Hogan? Surely it was a dream match and a licence to print money, so why have them on the same card and not face each other ? Has Vince ever justified the decision or is there any indication as to the thinking?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

HorseHeadBed posted:

I'm probably not the first to ask this, but I've always wondered why the main event of Wrestlemania VIII wasn't Ric Flair v Hogan? Surely it was a dream match and a licence to print money, so why have them on the same card and not face each other ? Has Vince ever justified the decision or is there any indication as to the thinking?

I don't think there's too much that's been said about it but the general feeling is that neither would agree to job to the other and there's no way Vince would have put on a double DQ/countout/time limit draw as the main event at WrestleMania.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

HorseHeadBed posted:

This is what Wikipedia says.

The original plan for the main event was the long awaited bout between Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan for the WWF World Heavyweight Title. The two had wrestled against each other in several house show matches and a televised tag match but never in a big money bout. Rumors persist that the 1990s "Steroid Scandal" forced a change in the main event booking. However, this has never been confirmed.

The WWE's website on a page of Wrestlemania facts also claims that Hogan's match with Sid was his 'retirement' match, which I don't really remember them billing it as at the time but that was like 20 years ago so my memory is terrible.

I'd say it seems likely they changed the main event for some reason.

Also, I don't think Ric Flair would have cared about jobbing to Hogan.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Really?

It's when you're seated so high up in the stadium that your nose bleeds. It's the worst seating for seeing anything.

What i was thinking was that the nosebleeding would probably have something to do with the wrestlers, and if you were close enough to see the wrestler nosebleed you were probably as close to the ring as you could be.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

quote:

What i was thinking was that the nosebleeding would probably have something to do with the wrestlers, and if you were close enough to see the wrestler nosebleed you were probably as close to the ring as you could be.

You've seriously never heard that phrase before?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

HorseHeadBed posted:

According to Meltzer in the classic observers iirc the match was given a test run at house shows in the summer and it was so terribly received that McMahon didn't want it as a main event because he felt it couldn't draw.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Oasx posted:

That term goes to any sport stadium seating though, not just wrestling.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

FishBulb posted:

This is what Wikipedia says.

The original plan for the main event was the long awaited bout between Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan for the WWF World Heavyweight Title. The two had wrestled against each other in several house show matches and a televised tag match but never in a big money bout. Rumors persist that the 1990s "Steroid Scandal" forced a change in the main event booking. However, this has never been confirmed.

The WWE's website on a page of Wrestlemania facts also claims that Hogan's match with Sid was his 'retirement' match, which I don't really remember them billing it as at the time but that was like 20 years ago so my memory is terrible.

I'd say it seems likely they changed the main event for some reason.

Also, I don't think Ric Flair would have cared about jobbing to Hogan.

It was definitely a retirement match for Hogan. There was a sit down interview with Vince before the show where Hogan said that it would probably be his last match. After WrestleMania 8, Hogan was gone until January of the next year.

That's also the reason they had the Warrior run in at the end - to transition away from Hogan and have Sid feud with the Warrior. Too bad for them that the Warrior was gone by the end of the summer and Sid was gone pretty much after that match.

xXx_darkJerryFalwell_xXx
Jun 30, 2006

It's time to play the game, Jeff. It's all about the game.
The best tickets I could get is section c row 11. Not too bad I guess. Are the HoF ceremony tickets seperate, or are they included in the wm ticket cost?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Most likely separate. I imagine they'll be holding the HoF ceremony in the US Airways Center (where the Suns play) so there's no way they can fit everybody who bought a ticket to WM in addition to all of the WWE's employees and their families and guests.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

That's awesome, I remember him showing up in TNA as part of SEX back in the weekly PPV days and it makes sense that he's doing stand-up now because he was charismatic and funny as hell. If he was a few inches taller he would have probably been a big name in the business.

Was it Natural Born Thrillers he managed? I remember him telling opponenets they were S.O.L.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think it's so weird that the monday night wars were raging so hot that both promotions opened loving restaurants. Did anyone on this board ever get the chance to eat at WWF New York or the WCW Nitro Grill? I'm interested to hear about it, because most of the reviews I've found were really funny in how bad the service was at both joints.

The pictures of the WCW Grill on this page make it look one notch below a Chuck E Cheese. Alas, I'll never get the chance to order a "'Wooooo!,' a frozen fruity Absolut Vodka drink."
http://www.24wrestling.com/index.php?id=extras/531

Tato fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 6, 2009

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been thinking about selling. Is it a good thing if a wrestler can sell really well? Sure, it makes them a better wrestler and gives us a better show, but does it make it more likely that the awesome seller will lose more and not go up the card?

For example, Cena is terrible at selling, and rarely loses. Batista isn't very good at selling and is a main eventer. I wouldn't know whether to classify Undertaker as a good seller but I want to so let's say he's an exception to the rule (even though he doesn't sell all that much).

People who are excellent at selling: Mick Foley, who lost pretty much all the time (well, since I've been watching from 2002). Evan Bourne, he mainly gets beaten by monsters. Jamie Noble, poor Jamie Noble.

And is there a relationship between size and selling? If you're bigger can you not sell as much, or even need to? Anyway I've said sell far too much and it's not even a word to me any more.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Orton and HBK are fantastic at selling, and really so is Cena until it's time for the hulk up super babyface comeback

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I've been thinking about selling. Is it a good thing if a wrestler can sell really well? Sure, it makes them a better wrestler and gives us a better show, but does it make it more likely that the awesome seller will lose more and not go up the card?

For example, Cena is terrible at selling, and rarely loses. Batista isn't very good at selling and is a main eventer. I wouldn't know whether to classify Undertaker as a good seller but I want to so let's say he's an exception to the rule (even though he doesn't sell all that much).

People who are excellent at selling: Mick Foley, who lost pretty much all the time (well, since I've been watching from 2002). Evan Bourne, he mainly gets beaten by monsters. Jamie Noble, poor Jamie Noble.

And is there a relationship between size and selling? If you're bigger can you not sell as much, or even need to? Anyway I've said sell far too much and it's not even a word to me any more.

On the other hand, guys who can sell really well have a good chance of sticking around the business longer and floating to the top of the card because they can make other talent look like a million bucks.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Actually that's very true, Orton and HBK are fantastic sellers. I don't include Cena 'cos he always forgets to sell whatever body part has been worked on for the past half hour.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Tato posted:

I think it's so weird that the monday night wars were raging so hot that both promotions opened loving restaurants. Did anyone on this board ever get the chance to eat at WWF New York or the WCW Nitro Grill? I'm interested to hear about it, because most of the reviews I've found were really funny in how bad the service was at both joints.

The pictures of the WCW Grill on this page make it look one notch below a Chuck E Cheese. Alas, I'll never get the chance to order a "'Wooooo!,' a frozen fruity Absolut Vodka drink."
http://www.24wrestling.com/index.php?id=extras/531

This is the only review I think I've ever read about either: X-Entertainment visit WWF New York http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/590.html

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

CM Junk posted:

Most likely separate. I imagine they'll be holding the HoF ceremony in the US Airways Center (where the Suns play) so there's no way they can fit everybody who bought a ticket to WM in addition to all of the WWE's employees and their families and guests.

I could see them doing HoF at the Jobing.com Arena, which is right next door to the University of Phoenix Stadium.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Vilkata posted:

I could see them doing HoF at the Jobing.com Arena, which is right next door to the University of Phoenix Stadium.

If it was at the Jobbing.com arena Al Snow could finally get in the Hall of Fame.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Vilkata posted:

:doh: I know nothing about Arizona sports arenas.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Question: How many times has the Undertaker been defeated cleanly, not counting rollups?

1. Vladimir Kozlov, 2009
???

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Question: How many times has the Undertaker been defeated cleanly, not counting rollups?

1. Vladimir Kozlov, 2009
???

mankind made him submit in 96, brock lesnar in 02 and 03, khali in 06, and batista beat him at cyber sunday 07. that's all i got.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I think Austin has beaten him clean a few times.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

reality_groove posted:

Was it Natural Born Thrillers he managed? I remember him telling opponenets they were S.O.L.
Yeah, he was their manager and according to Sanders the "SOL" thing was supposed to be DDP's catchphrase but Nash told Sanders to use it as a rib.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Selling is important for all wrestlers of all sizes, because without it your opponent looks weak; also, without selling it becomes immediately evident that you're not actually striking in a real manner. When HHH punches Cena and Cena just stands there as though nothing happened, HHH looks like a moron—first because he clearly didn't hit him hard enough, and second because people would suddenly notice exactly how HHH didn't knock Cena's block off.

Selling can also be used to make someone look more powerful for some reason. For example, let's imagine a match between Mark Henry and Rey Mysterio. Mark, at some point during the match, pulls Rey's mask off, and Rey freaks out and does himself up like a shirt ninja. Rey "goes nuts," and Mark suddenly began selling attacks from Rey like death. What is the story? If you make Rey fear for his identity, you will unleash within him a power previously unknown.

Selling is essential to all theatrical combat. Without it, they're just a bunch of guys pretending to hit each other really hard.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
What's up with Booker T? Last I heard, he was removed from the TNA website. So, did he leave the company or...what?

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Captain Sweetness posted:

What's up with Booker T? Last I heard, he was removed from the TNA website. So, did he leave the company or...what?

They're waiting out the rest of his contract because he's a big jerk who wouldn't put over Matt Morgan.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I've been to Wrestlemanias at Skydome and Ford Field.

You're not buying a ticket to get a good view. You're buying it to be part of the crowd experience at Wrestlemania. Don't expect much and you might be pleasantly surprised.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
How many more Danielson matches are going to air before he actually debuts? I know DGUSA just had a PPV that he wrestled on, so I'm just assuming that WWE the E are waiting for these to be done before bringing him out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I think Austin has beaten him clean a few times.

And Kurt Angle at No Way Out one year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

And Kurt Angle at No Way Out one year.

I said no rollups!!