Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

That'll learn me to jump my car.

Tell us more :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There's an intersection by my house where the car gets light when you hit it going fast enough, and I was probably going 10-15mph faster than usual.

Well hopefully tomorrow I can figure out what I broke. Wheel bearings seem fine, wheels are straight, suspension parts are straight. Rack has some play in it, but from driving around it seems drivetrain mount related.

Anyway, more on the RS swap, if you're considering doing it or buying one this is required reading:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486051

You pretty much can't do it better than that. So when you're shopping thing about how likely it is that the swap was not done that way.

jamal fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 4, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Ugh. I broke a wheel bearing "jumping" my car into a ditch headfirst at 30 km/h. The way I went in all the force landed on one wheel. When the local tire shop pressed out the old bearing it fell into pieces.

The best part has been having almost every suspension part on that front corner slowly die over the course of the past year. Right now the ball joint is clunking and the axle is clicking / binding on sharp right turns when its cold.

Actually that reminds me. For getting an axle on the cheap I've got two options. Either I buy a mystery quality $100 axle from Napa or I buy a Subaru axle from a junkyard Subaru for slightly less with hopefully low miles. I'm leaning towards the junkyard axle because of horror stories of cheap Chinese axles online. Is there any other option I'm not thinking of here?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

8ender posted:

Ugh. I broke a wheel bearing "jumping" my car into a ditch headfirst at 30 km/h. The way I went in all the force landed on one wheel. When the local tire shop pressed out the old bearing it fell into pieces.

The best part has been having almost every suspension part on that front corner slowly die over the course of the past year. Right now the ball joint is clunking and the axle is clicking / binding on sharp right turns when its cold.

Actually that reminds me. For getting an axle on the cheap I've got two options. Either I buy a mystery quality $100 axle from Napa or I buy a Subaru axle from a junkyard Subaru for slightly less with hopefully low miles. I'm leaning towards the junkyard axle because of horror stories of cheap Chinese axles online. Is there any other option I'm not thinking of here?

I guess you could figure out which component of the axle is bad, and order it from subaruparts.com
That'll save you money over the dealer but it'll be more expensive than Napa. Will the junkyard let you return the part if it's no good?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yay, dealer agrees with me that it is a wheel bearing. They are also discounting me the labor that I already spent when I had it in on October first (only 1/2 hour, but hey, $40 is $40).

Total cost of repair is going to be about $260 which I though was really very reasonable for a dealership to replace a wheel bearing.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

bull3964 posted:

Yay, dealer agrees with me that it is a wheel bearing. They are also discounting me the labor that I already spent when I had it in on October first (only 1/2 hour, but hey, $40 is $40).

Total cost of repair is going to be about $260 which I though was really very reasonable for a dealership to replace a wheel bearing.

Glad it worked out for you. I'm also glad that I have my own hydraulic press. :smug:

(seriously though, if any subaru or Z guys [or gals] live in west MI, hit me up if you need such help. I need to use all these stupid tools I bought)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ab0z posted:

I'm also glad that I have my own hydraulic press. :smug:

Yeah, but that would involve tearing apart 8 year old suspension components where they can do it on the car.

This is one of the few times where I don't have a problem paying for the labor involved.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I just tore apart the suspension on my 15 year old car. oddly the worst part was the ABS sensor, I ended up unplugging the whole sensor and leaving it installed in the knuckle while I did the work. If I had lots of money I sure would pay someone to do it though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Something about those abs sensors. I tried to replace one of my rear ones because it got bent out of alignment when I was changing a wheel stud and the bolt snapped right off at the head.

At that point I just said gently caress it, grabbed the sensor with a pair of channel locks and bent it back into alignment. I just hope I never have to worry about removing that sensor again.

I'm also really glad I elected to only spend $25 on a used ebay wheel speed sensor rather than the full $120 on a new one since I couldn't install it anyways.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Yeah, probably on an older car you'll just have to destroy the old one to get it out, and make sure to use anti-sieze when you put the new one in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whelp, after they had it apart, it was much worse.

Hub, knuckle, and ball joint were all toast. Though, because I brought it in earlier and they misdiagnosed they are meeting me part way and charging me $449 including tax (instead of about $750) for the whole thing. Sure it's not the cheapest I could have gone ($80 junkyard knuckle assembly and swap), but at least I know it's fixed right and I'm happy that they compensated me for not fixing it right the first time.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I rotated my tires today and found it odd that the WRX manual showed a range of 58-72 ft lbs for the wheel nuts. I torqued them to 72.

Also, how are the a-pillar covers removed? Every time I hit a bump they creak and crack against the dash and it annoying the gently caress out of me. I want to take them off to see if I can make the noise stop.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I waited very impatiently all day for UPS to show up only to find that I ordered the wrong drat bolt pattern wheels and now I have to wait until monday for the correct wheels to show up. :suicide:

Oh well, I guess I have more time to fix everything else.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

ab0z posted:

Glad it worked out for you. I'm also glad that I have my own hydraulic press. :smug:

(seriously though, if any subaru or Z guys [or gals] live in west MI, hit me up if you need such help. I need to use all these stupid tools I bought)

Where do you live in West MI? I'm in Kalamazoo and have some things that I need help with (05 wrx)

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

cmorrow001 posted:

Where do you live in West MI? I'm in Kalamazoo and have some things that I need help with (05 wrx)

Are you going to Tony's garage to swap springs this saturday? If so you're already going to be using my spring compressors.

Edit - my garage is in grandville.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
New tires day! Just got some general altimaxes installed. Seems to be a popular go to all weather choice on the outback.org forums. Liking them so far, but I'll need to put them through the poo poo weather test. Since this is New England I probably won't have to wait all that long.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

ab0z posted:

Are you going to Tony's garage to swap springs this saturday? If so you're already going to be using my spring compressors.

Edit - my garage is in grandville.

I'd like to find a nice pro-active shop to bring my 04 STi too. Fox in Grand Rapids is never forthcoming with anything that isn't "by the book" I think. I'll tell the guy "I've been reading about a possible issue with my rear struts" and he'll give me "I've never heard that". I think that's what they tell him to say about everything. I don't mind paying for the work, but for god sake, act like you like doing it at least.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

burtonos posted:

I'd like to find a nice pro-active shop to bring my 04 STi too. Fox in Grand Rapids is never forthcoming with anything that isn't "by the book" I think. I'll tell the guy "I've been reading about a possible issue with my rear struts" and he'll give me "I've never heard that". I think that's what they tell him to say about everything. I don't mind paying for the work, but for god sake, act like you like doing it at least.

What kind of problem are you having?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

ab0z posted:

What kind of problem are you having?

The last problem was boost creep, which they "fixed" with a new O2 sensor. This happened in the winter, with the Cobb (catless)uppipe, downpipe and turbo back exhaust and their "stage 2" map. I like the way the car is, I'd just like someone to say, "Ok, this is properly done"

It's not problems per-se, I'd just like more input than "that'll be 150 dollars".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tiny Faye posted:

New tires day! Just got some general altimaxes installed. Seems to be a popular go to all weather choice on the outback.org forums. Liking them so far, but I'll need to put them through the poo poo weather test. Since this is New England I probably won't have to wait all that long.

Has anybody compared them to the RE960as?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Subaru, why would you design CV axles so that you have to remove the inner boots in order to change the outer boots? :argh:

Looks like I'll be spending a few hours in a state of greasy hell.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Picked up some Kartboy shift bushings today, we'll see if they clean up some of the shifter slop on my 121k mile car.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Tiny Faye posted:

These tires were so awesome on my WRX, you will love them, it will make the car feel so much better in the snow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey, I saw a new Impreza wagon today (it didn't yet have plates). It looked like a base model and had regular red taillights. Are there some models without those clear lights now? This may have happened a long time ago and I never noticed, but all the pictures on Subaru.com show the clear lights.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Hey, I saw a new Impreza wagon today (it didn't yet have plates). It looked like a base model and had regular red taillights. Are there some models without those clear lights now? This may have happened a long time ago and I never noticed, but all the pictures on Subaru.com show the clear lights.
It's a pretty common modification - you can pick up red film and apply it to the LED taillight. There's a white 08 WRX here with it, and it actually looks really good.

It wouldn't surprise me if dealerships were starting to offer it, though as far as I know it's not an OEM option.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, after searching I came to that conclusion.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I found these awhile ago (http://www.aqmotorsports.com/harman-motive-hatchsti-rear-lamp-overlay-p-2285.html), and they are pricy @ $69.99 a pop.

I've found people opening up the lamps and spray-painting them, but that's a bit too ghetto for my tastes.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Had trouble today helping a friend swap springs on his 05 STi. The rear strut housing bolts were pretty tough, and the lower one was frozen. Are the nuts supposed to be facing forward or back on that? On his the nuts were facing back, and I see no way to get a socket on the lower one without removing the axle.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Subaru wouldn't design the front brake calipers to rely on the ebrake lever boot to hold pressure, would they?

I was driving on that. :ohdear:

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
My 1986 Subaru XT turned 100k miles today, here's to another 100,000 miles of glorious head gasket blowing wedge shaped motoring!

It's getting Freon 12 A/C work, some interior refreshing, period-correct paintwork and new factory decals this winter (the factory had TURBO on nearly every panel, also cast into the intake plenum).

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

MATLAB 1988 posted:

My 1986 Subaru XT turned 100k miles today, here's to another 100,000 miles of glorious head gasket blowing wedge shaped motoring!

It's getting Freon 12 A/C work, some interior refreshing, period-correct paintwork and new factory decals this winter.

Nice use of panasport-style wheels!

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

Since the mileage on my '07 Impreza 2.5i is nearing 36K, and I'm going to be bringing it in for an oil change and to have the one-way fuel valve removed, is there anything I should have them check out while the warranty is still in effect?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

CharlesM posted:

Has anybody compared them to the RE960as?

There seems to be a lot of hate for Bridgestone Potenzas over there. I can't compare myself because my car came with a set of super worn down BF Goodrich advantages. The other recommendation I got was for an all season that didn't suck in the winter was Goodyear triple treads, but the general consensus was they the triple treads don't seem to last as long as they should. Plus they were 30 bucks more per tire.

TurboLuvah posted:

These tires were so awesome on my WRX, you will love them, it will make the car feel so much better in the snow.

Good to hear they're snow-capable since I really just can't afford to do a dedicated set of snow tires right now. I'm really loving these tires so far. Very comfortable ride and great cornering.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

MATLAB 1988 posted:

It's getting Freon 12 A/C work, some interior refreshing, period-correct paintwork and new factory decals this winter (the factory had TURBO on nearly every panel, also cast into the intake plenum).

Wow, that thing looks clean. Don't see many of these around in that sort of condition. Got any pics of the interior?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tiny Faye posted:

There seems to be a lot of hate for Bridgestone Potenzas over there. I can't compare myself because my car came with a set of super worn down BF Goodrich advantages. The other recommendation I got was for an all season that didn't suck in the winter was Goodyear triple treads, but the general consensus was they the triple treads don't seem to last as long as they should. Plus they were 30 bucks more per tire.

Well, I bought the 960a/s for my brother's car. The General tires would be special order. I had it price matched to Tire Rack anyway, so it wasn't too bad.

The RE92/RE92a may say Potenza on them, but I don't think they have anything in common with the other tires.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

c355n4 posted:

Wow, that thing looks clean. Don't see many of these around in that sort of condition. Got any pics of the interior?

The dash is cracked so it has a mat, I got rid of those seat covers, the factory seats are in decent shape.

And the dashboard, that little car in the center gets a 4wd axle when 4wd is engaged by the button on the shifter.

The mechanicals are solid and it has no rust, it was repainted single-stage blue but could use a wetsanding/polishing. I'm thinking of putting a clear coat on but I'll just polish and see how that looks for now.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have one of the key switches for the Speed Alarm with a key if you want it. I've had it for years and never used it for anything.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Tiny Faye posted:

Good to hear they're snow-capable since I really just can't afford to do a dedicated set of snow tires right now. I'm really loving these tires so far. Very comfortable ride and great cornering.

Wait, I thought you said General Altimax Arctics, which are dedicated snow tires, sorry I was confused.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I've been having a little problem with my totally stock 09 WRX lately, that at first seemed cosmetic, but now Im worried may be electrical. I have some background info first.

About a week ago I hit a pothole going about 10 miles an hour. I only hit the right side of the car and it drove fine afterwards, I didn't notice any difference. The next day I noticed a quiet crackling noise coming from somewhere on the front drivers side of the passenger cabin when I went in excess of about 30 miles an hour. It sounds a little bit like a speaker would if the wires weren't connected properly. I thought it might have actually been the speakers, but I turned the radio off and it's still there, but again, only at certain speeds. Yesterday I got my snow tires put on and the mechanic showed me that my right rear brake isn't working properly; the wear on the disc itself isn't even. Im getting that looked at and hopefully fixed this week.

My actual question is twofold - One, is it possible that the brake thing and the noise are related, and two, if they aren't related, what the hell is that noise? I posted this on NASIOC, but I trust you guys more. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiv
May 21, 2001

Ready for action
Been having a small problem with my 2005 STi lately.

Since my last 4 fuel fill ups, I have had to babysit the pump. The fuel pump will constantly click off whenever I try to put fuel in it. It will pump for 3 seconds then click off all the time no matter how fast or slow you try to pump the gas. I thought it may have been the pump, but it has done it at 4 different stations.

I am assuming that it is the car. Would this be an easy enough fix where I could do it in my garage? I am pretty competent with a wrench.