Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://u.nu/3jvr3 - really short sketch of a track made in Live... I'm still not really comfortable with the program, but there's progress I guess. Mixing might be whack, I used headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Here's another song I made with the Korg DS-10. It's arguably the best original song I've made. If nothing else, it's better than 50% of the YouTube videos of DS10 songs where people just use crappy camera audio from the speaker output. I don't know what genre it falls under other than amateur stoner trip-out music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCu6Bp2tcig

At the end there's a sort of transition and then it fades out. I might continue from there and make a second part that starts from that point.

Komojo fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 6, 2009

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I'm missing something key with Reason 2.5 (I've had it for forever and recently dusted it off) and I'm guessing this is the right thread instead of the Home Recording thread since I'm only interested in the electronic aspect of this.

I'm trying to arrange some drum and bass tracks and while I understand how to get my bass or whatever other synth I'm using down, I can't figure out why my drum tracks don't get recorded.

I've set up and arranged different sequences within RedRum and honestly, I'd like to just paste them into the song since there's no real need to go through and manually play everything, is there a way to do this or am I trying to do something stupid?

When I try to play the bass line manually the drum machine plays, but doesn't record. I've got the 'Reason 2.5 Ignite!' book, and it covers recording, but doesn't seem to say anything about doing it this way.

Help?

Edit: Is it really as loving simple as 'copy pattern to track'? I'm a loving idiot.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 6, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Yes.. You can also automate redrum to trigger the pattern sequencer.

But thats some 1989 type poo poo right there

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
is anyone using a MOTU Ultralite on a Macbook or Macbook Pro? I have the driver installed and the sound card connected via firewire but it doesn't show up as a device in Logic or Reason. I would post a support request on MOTU.com but the sound card is not registered to my e-mail address because this is a band mates card.

edit: if it wasn't clear, I installed the "Universal Audio Installer for Mac OS X" driver

edit2: uninstalling and reinstalling the same driver seemed to work, strangely

ProdigalSon fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 7, 2009

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Yes.. You can also automate redrum to trigger the pattern sequencer.

But thats some 1989 type poo poo right there
Can you expand on this a bit for me please?

My goal is to effectively replace a drummer/bassist. I would like to create these two tracks in Reason and export them to something else (likely Propellerhead's Record software) and then record guitar tracks over the top.

I appreciate the help.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

ProdigalSon posted:

is anyone using a MOTU Ultralite on a Macbook or Macbook Pro? I have the driver installed and the sound card connected via firewire but it doesn't show up as a device in Logic or Reason. I would post a support request on MOTU.com but the sound card is not registered to my e-mail address because this is a band mates card.

edit: if it wasn't clear, I installed the "Universal Audio Installer for Mac OS X" driver

Try reinstalling, restarting, and unplugging a few times. I had some trouble getting mine to work with my Macbook at first but once you get it to work once it should be fine. This sounds like really bad advice but I had the same issues I think and I just messed with it till it worked. Also make sure it shows up in Apple's native audio control panel.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Having a bit of fun. That is all.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I'm getting the hang of making my bass synths ruder: http://soundcloud.com/will-ivy/let-loose

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
Just a heads-up, SPL is giving away their Attacker plugin for free:
http://www.spl.info/software/download/attacker4free.php
Haven't played around with it yet but it looks like a very handy little plugin. :)

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Meatsplosion posted:

Just a heads-up, SPL is giving away their Attacker plugin for free:
http://www.spl.info/software/download/attacker4free.php
Haven't played around with it yet but it looks like a very handy little plugin. :)

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with it, but I'm sure I'll come up with some uses v :) v
Thanks for the heads-up!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
http://soundcloud.com/djjtron/electrosex

banger. in my opinion at least....

what does everyone think? i cant listen to it anymore today and i need some opinions.

oredun fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 12, 2009

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

oredun posted:

http://soundcloud.com/djjtron/electrosex

banger. in my opinion at least....

what does everyone think? i cant listen to it anymore today and i need some opinions.

Pretty good drums, they have pace, but the melody needs more of a hook. Right now it's nice, but kinda random. Bangers need to be more direct.

http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/fourfour
Weird techno experiment.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
http://www.mediafire.com/?lwllxmndywn

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

amazing

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

ManoliIsFat posted:

amazing

put your suggestions into the final and it sounds great

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Here's my first attempt at trying to write something a little more down tempo and slow. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the ending, but I like how this sounds overall. Any suggestions on things to do that could make it sound better?

http://tindeck.com/listen/wcui

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
This is dope, needs a vocal though!

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

God drat, this is great. Don't put vocals in unless they are really killer as well.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
thanks guys

Maguro posted:

God drat, this is great. Don't put vocals in unless they are really killer as well.

haha, story of my life

Hi Baku Shyo
Nov 7, 2009
Ok, this might be kind of a weird question but for anyone who uses Fruity Loops, I have a question about external MIDI controller mapping. Using the Granulizer, I want to keep the sample at its original tempo while using it, and I know the Grain Spacing and Wave Spacing settings work 1:1 (so if both are set to the same value, the tempo is unaffected), so I want both values to be linked to the same knob so I can mess with that without going off beat. Unfortunately, they don't have the same range of values for some reason (Grain spacing goes from 11% to 300% and Wave spacing -300% to 300%), so when I turn the knob up they're 1:1 at 300%, but anywhere below that the settings won't match up. Is there anyway to have it so that the knob affects the Grain Spacing knob normally (all the way left = 11%, all the way right = 300%) but only covers that range of values on the wave spacing knob (which goes from like 57% right to full right)? Sorry if this is hard to understand, it's weird to explain without being able to show it...

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Isn't that accomplished by using the mapping formula in remote controller settings?

Hi Baku Shyo
Nov 7, 2009

Weird BIAS posted:

Isn't that accomplished by using the mapping formula in remote controller settings?

As far as I can tell there's no way to specifically set that kind of thing outside of preprogrammed settings, but I'm dumb as poo poo so maybe not??

urbster1
Apr 13, 2005

y⊙U aRE b⊙RING

Hi Baku Shyo posted:

As far as I can tell there's no way to specifically set that kind of thing outside of preprogrammed settings, but I'm dumb as poo poo so maybe not??
Sure you can, just type it in. Try something like "Input*0.5+0.25" and mess with the numbers a bit, you ought to be able to get something that works fairly well.

edit: VV thanks, I'm too lazy to do math anymore

urbster1 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 15, 2009

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, so if you want the wave spacing to start at 11% when turned left, put in roughly Input*0.45+0.55

* and / affect the slope of the line, + and - affect it's starting position.

felipebacon
Jun 19, 2007
i love dongs
Something I've been messing around with today

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1364134/Unbalanced%20load.mp3

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

sampling is the tits

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New track. Enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/kevinrothi/8-bar-house

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Am I a moron for wanting to pick up something like this?

I've never done any mixing, but I really want to. It'd mostly be to make mixes for parties and such, not planning on being a pro.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

This is just a short idea... Tindeck made the bass sound really muddy.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Anacostia posted:

This is just a short idea... Tindeck made the bass sound really muddy.

Not a big fan of the clap but really diggin this. Almost want it to be a bit slower too, but that could just be me.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Something strange I've been working on. It's short, but I think I'm done with it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

New track. Enjoy!
http://soundcloud.com/kevinrothi/8-bar-house

Quite like this, got a nice groove to it :)
Only thing that stood out is the bassline doesnt change - might have been nice to switch up the pattern for one of the sections. Good work though.

edit: from memory 'expansion' almost sounds like it was inspired by phil keirans 'I think i'm a monster' - In a good way.

edit3!

I decided to hit ableton pretty hard and got another track done. A little bit housy, mostly techno, weird synths and some distortion. My usual at the moment.

edit4: need to keep it quiet.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 18, 2009

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
Is there an explanation for why a mixdown sounds different than when I just play the song in Ableton? I actually don't mind as the mixdown sounds better than the version in Ableton, but I'd like to be able to predict the sound that comes out of the mixdown.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It shouldnt - mine sounds exactly the same.

Do you have an internal soundcard with eq/bass boost in it's software which is taking over the exported version? Maybe your media player too - try bringing it back into ableton to play and see if thats still different.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
Make sure you are working in the same bitrate/sample depth that you are rendering at.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Are you normalizing when you export from Live?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

h_double posted:

Are you normalizing when you export from Live?

Meatsplosion posted:

Make sure you are working in the same bitrate/sample depth that you are rendering at.

This is something to check I guess, but it shouldn't make a very noticeable difference, and there are plenty of reasons to mix at a higher rate/depth than the final target (greater headroom, less distortion in effects processing, etc.)

Also it's bit depth and sample rate, not the other way around. :science:

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
I'm not normalizing, should I be? I think perhaps it's a strange result of maybe my on-board sound. I mixed down copy of my bassline then recorded it in ableton using resampling and the waveform is definitely different, if only very very slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
No, you probably don't want to be normalizing. Normalizing scales the volume of the track so that the peak volume is 0dB (or some other value, often -0.3dB or thereabouts).

If you WERE normalizing, the difference you were hearing might be due to difference in loudness.

• Locked thread