Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Jailbroke using the link posted on this page a few posts ago, thanks.

I am amazed at what jailbreaking has allowed me to do. I thought it might be nice to share some of the stuff I've done in the past few hours. all of these things have improved my iPod touch experience like a million fold? And the only thing I had to pay for so far is a $0.99 add-on to a free app.

Installed this beautiful theme, Bluebird, by David Lanham:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Installed Cydia. Two other alternative app stores/software repositories were installed, Icy and Rockapp. Didn't really like either as much as Cydia.

Used Poof initially, and then one of the features built into SBSettings to hide a bunch of apps I don't use on a regular basis, but don't necessarily want to uninstall.

Added percentage charge info to battery meter at the top, added date to the top

Combined 'Music' and 'Video' into a single 'iPod' button

Set up SSH with the intention of setting up wireless music transfer via linux at some point in the future

Installed the Categories app from Cydia and then the $0.99 addon that makes it a more functional part of Springboard. Put a few apps I don't want to see on a regular basis in a folder.

Increased the number of apps per row on Springboard/dock to 5 (from original 4)

Installed Backgrounder from Cydia (now I can listen to last.fm while I do other stuff :cool:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Installed this beautiful theme
You installed a theme? Sperglord!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Awesome theme I'm going to install as soon as I get my iPod

Quick question for you and Epileper: When you said you need to jailbreak it every time you turn it off, does it prevent the unsigned programs you installed from running, or just from installing new ones?

Can I just jailbreak it once, install all the tweaks I want to and then just use is like that?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question for you and Epileper: When you said you need to jailbreak it every time you turn it off, does it prevent the unsigned programs you installed from running, or just from installing new ones?

Can I just jailbreak it once, install all the tweaks I want to and then just use is like that?

No idea about the first thing you said because I haven't really run into that situation. One program forced me to "restart" my iPod but everything still worked afterward, leading me to believe that it wasn't a full restart. I don't fully understand how this jailbreak works, but it works flawlessly.

To answer the second part of your question: I think so. I mean really, I don't think I'll be forced to actually turn it off any time soon. When do you ever really turn it off?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

No idea about the first thing you said because I haven't really run into that situation. One program forced me to "restart" my iPod but everything still worked afterward, leading me to believe that it wasn't a full restart. I don't fully understand how this jailbreak works, but it works flawlessly.

To answer the second part of your question: I think so. I mean really, I don't think I'll be forced to actually turn it off any time soon. When do you ever really turn it off?

I don't know, I haven't received it yet. :v: I'm getting it this Wednesday, but I wanted to gather some info before touching something and ruining the drat thing.

Thanks for the responses.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I hope it's not poor form to ask a questions without reading every bit of this thread, but I just god a Touch as birthday present for a friend. Can someone recommend a good cover for it? Something subtle would be ideal, I'm trying to avoid one of those giant rubber gloves.

In Produce Section
Oct 23, 2006

chemtrails

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I hope it's not poor form to ask a questions without reading every bit of this thread, but I just god a Touch as birthday present for a friend. Can someone recommend a good cover for it? Something subtle would be ideal, I'm trying to avoid one of those giant rubber gloves.

My favorite is the Slider by Incase. Aesthetically pleasing and protects really well. Feels nice.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

In Produce Section posted:

My favorite is the Slider by Incase. Aesthetically pleasing and protects really well. Feels nice.
I use this case. I like it a lot. It doesn't add more than a mm to the overall thickness and it has a nice smooth yet grippy texture. I also like the look of the black finish more than chrome.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Anyone have experience with Otterbox's Armor case?

http://www.otterbox.com/ipod-cases/ipod-touch/ipod-touch-2nd-3rd-generation-cases/ipod-touch-2nd-3rd-gen-armor-sport-package/

Maybe it's masochistic, but I love the idea of making an iPod into a tank. Is the case actually as usable as they say, though?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Nihiliste posted:

Anyone have experience with Otterbox's Armor case?

http://www.otterbox.com/ipod-cases/ipod-touch/ipod-touch-2nd-3rd-generation-cases/ipod-touch-2nd-3rd-gen-armor-sport-package/

Maybe it's masochistic, but I love the idea of making an iPod into a tank. Is the case actually as usable as they say, though?

What the loving poo poo. Unless you live/work in a war zone or are a miner, I can't understand why anyone would have this.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Holy Christ look at that thing.

For what it's worth I use its significantly less retarded little brother, and I would say it provides all the protection you might need. And while a touch bulky it functions just fine, and for me it has the perfect amount of weight in the hand.

And yes before anyone asks, considering that it's already been dropped by one of my coworkers from a shelf onto a metal sink I think it is a practical level of protection

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

toxick posted:

What the loving poo poo. Unless you live/work in a war zone or are a miner, I can't understand why anyone would have this.

I think the main selling point is the waterproof case and headphones. It looks like you can use it in a downpour while jogging without any worries.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Those Otterboxes look nice if you want to swim with your touch in but I'm not too sure if the touchscreen will actually function if you have the case on. There's a membrane for the keyboard on the BlackBerry cases and it's terrible.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

toxick posted:

They actually do get used in warzones. I've used this case at my work, some of the stuff I do is for military contracts. There are actually iPod apps for riflemen who want to calculate bullet trajectories and windage adjustments. The big one is by a company called Knight Armaments. Snipers normally have to carry around a little book with lookup tables for different types of ammunition, winds, angles of declination, even latitudes to compensate for the Coriolis effect.

Otterbox is a company based in Colorado, so there's a decent market for people who go hunting, snowshoeing, etc. The REI crowd.

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/iphone-apps-help-snipers-calculate-bullet-trajectories

Philthy posted:

I think the main selling point is the waterproof case and headphones. It looks like you can use it in a downpour while jogging without any worries.

Yeah, its pretty sweet. The case itself has a plug in it, so it passes the headphone connection through to remain completely waterproof. As part of a demonstration, we had the thing rail mounted to an M4 and submerged the whole assembly in an aquarium full of mud and it still worked fine.

Godzilla07 posted:

Those Otterboxes look nice if you want to swim with your touch in but I'm not too sure if the touchscreen will actually function if you have the case on. There's a membrane for the keyboard on the BlackBerry cases and it's terrible.

You can still use the screen just fine with the waterproof membrane too.

A coworker of mine borrowed the Otterbox thing a few weeks ago to use it on a scuba diving trip.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 28, 2009

DeathFlame
Jan 1, 2008
Crossposting from SH/SC

What do people use to convert video files for their iPod (iPod Touch in my case)

On my old box I was using Azerues (Vuze) and it had a built in media converter that worked, and also automatically uploaded stuff to itunes. Easy drag and drop, no ads, etc.

My initial thought was to start using utorrent on my new computer, but now I'm not sure what to use to convert video for my iPod. Thoughts?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

DeathFlame posted:

Crossposting from SH/SC

What do people use to convert video files for their iPod (iPod Touch in my case)

On my old box I was using Azerues (Vuze) and it had a built in media converter that worked, and also automatically uploaded stuff to itunes. Easy drag and drop, no ads, etc.

My initial thought was to start using utorrent on my new computer, but now I'm not sure what to use to convert video for my iPod. Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with Vuze, but I like uTorrent on my not-so-powerful computers, especially the netbook. As far as conversions, I'm sure most people will recommend Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/

I've also used SUPER video converter, it works, but their website is the stupidest maze I've ever seen. If you care to try, http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html is the place to go.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Does anyone use or can recommend an external battery? As I have started using my iPod more and more they seem like they could be handy, especially as I was soon be spending more time on public transit. Or are they crap and I would be better off just grabbing some juice whenever I get a chance

E: Part of it is that I'll be moving abroad soon and my touch is going to be my electric dictionary, and I can use the Skype app to call home if need be. This on top of it being my day planner and a way of listening to radio back home and e-mail and all that fun stuff. So with it kind of being my lifeline I really won't want to be caught in a pinch without enough power

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 30, 2009

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

WDIIA posted:

Does anyone use or can recommend an external battery? As I have started using my iPod more and more they seem like they could be handy, especially as I was soon be spending more time on public transit. Or are they crap and I would be better off just grabbing some juice whenever I get a chance

E: Part of it is that I'll be moving abroad soon and my touch is going to be my electric dictionary, and I can use the Skype app to call home if need be. This on top of it being my day planner and a way of listening to radio back home and e-mail and all that fun stuff. So with it kind of being my lifeline I really won't want to be caught in a pinch without enough power

I guess it kind of depends on what sort of battery you want.

The Mophie Juicepack is $80 and only has a 1500mAh capacity, but your iPod slides into it and you can continue using it while the Juice Pack charges it.

Another option is something like the Satechi iCel, which is $60 and has a much better capacity at 4400mAh. However, you need to have your iPod USB cable with you to charge your iPod via the iCel, unlike with the Mophie Juice Pack.

I bought an iCel and it's great. It's much better than something with lower capacity. The Mophie Juice Pack can charge your iPod touch something like 1.2 times. The iCel will charge it at least 3 times. Not to mention the iCel can charge other USB-charged devices, unlike the Juice Pack. However, the Juice Pack could be more convenient in certain situations.

toxick fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 30, 2009

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
I posted this before, but I never got an answer.

Lately, for the last month or two, Itunes has been giving me ridiculous playcounts whenever I plug my Touch in. I'll listen to a song a time or two, maybe three, and it'll give a playcount in the hundreds for a lot of songs. I've looked around the Apple forums, and didn't see an answer, googled it, didn't see an answer....anyone have any issues like this?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Here's another odd question - can anyone think of a good combo Bluetooth/FM transmitter for cars? I used to have a Venturi Mini, but it broke.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

King of Spit posted:

I posted this before, but I never got an answer.

Lately, for the last month or two, Itunes has been giving me ridiculous playcounts whenever I plug my Touch in. I'll listen to a song a time or two, maybe three, and it'll give a playcount in the hundreds for a lot of songs. I've looked around the Apple forums, and didn't see an answer, googled it, didn't see an answer....anyone have any issues like this?

I had the same problem and I think I found a way around it. I will definitely know when I get my sync cable back, which I seem to have misplaced in the blur that was last night...I also lost half of my costume. :(

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
Is there an iPod Touch car mount that sticks to the dash, hooks into the iPod dock connector, charges the iPod, has an aux output, and will rotate the iPod to portrait or landscape modes? I've looked at quite a few in stores and online, and I can't find any that have all these features in one unit.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

toxick posted:

I guess it kind of depends on what sort of battery you want.

The Mophie Juicepack is $80 and only has a 1500mAh capacity, but your iPod slides into it and you can continue using it while the Juice Pack charges it.

Another option is something like the Satechi iCel, which is $60 and has a much better capacity at 4400mAh. However, you need to have your iPod USB cable with you to charge your iPod via the iCel, unlike with the Mophie Juice Pack.

I bought an iCel and it's great. It's much better than something with lower capacity. The Mophie Juice Pack can charge your iPod touch something like 1.2 times. The iCel will charge it at least 3 times. Not to mention the iCel can charge other USB-charged devices, unlike the Juice Pack. However, the Juice Pack could be more convenient in certain situations.

Great thanks, I'll probably pick up an iCel fairly soon. Much appreciated

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Finally got my touch yesterday. I didn't have a lot of time to tool around with it yet, but I managed to use blackra1n (worked like a charm), tweaked some things, and played a bit with videos.

Some questions:

Astro7x posted:

An hour long TV show commercial free at about 42 minutes is on average around 200MB using the default Handbreak settings for the iPod Touch.
I think I'm doing something wrong... I downloaded an LP from the site, run it through handbrake (using the ipod touch settings), and it went from 230 megs original to 290 when it finished processing (runs for about 30 minutes, I downloaded the original from here) :I
Also, does handbrake maintain ratios by default?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

they're fine...but if you're going for the biggest Touch why don't you go ahead and splurge on one of these
Thanks for the recommendation, I got one and it is quite nice indeed.

Combined 'Music' and 'Video' into a single 'iPod' button

I managed to install the theme and do some other minor tweaks, but how did you accomplish this?

Thanks everyone!

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think I'm doing something wrong... I downloaded an LP from the site, run it through handbrake (using the ipod touch settings), and it went from 230 megs original to 290 when it finished processing (runs for about 30 minutes, I downloaded the original from here) :I

Your source file is probably in a format that was more compressed than what Handbreak creates. The quote about the hour long TV show probably assumes a different format.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Your source file is probably in a format that was more compressed than what Handbreak creates. The quote about the hour long TV show probably assumes a different format.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but yesterday I converted some .mkv files with soft subs on them only to realize Handbrake does not work with soft subs. Is there any program that actually does softsubs, or will I have to embed them manually with another program and then pass them through handbrake?

Thanks again. :shobon:

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm probably stating the obvious, but yesterday I converted some .mkv files with soft subs on them only to realize Handbrake does not work with soft subs. Is there any program that actually does softsubs, or will I have to embed them manually with another program and then pass them through handbrake?

Thanks again. :shobon:

I have very little knowledge of this stuff, but if you're on a Mac, iSubtitle may be what you're looking for.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

toxick posted:

I have very little knowledge of this stuff, but if you're on a Mac, iSubtitle may be what you're looking for.

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I'm running Windows. :(

After some digging, I found two programs that seem to work for what I want:
MKVtoolnix for getting the subs out of the .mkv, and XviD4PSP for the actual encoding. XviD4PSP has an iPod Touch setting that resizes to 480x* so no tweaking is needed, and gets the subs hardcoded. I made a quick re-encode with an old episode I had here at the office and worked fine, I'll run some more tests tonight at home and report back it anyone's interested.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Is there a free and decent Windows app which will let you sync text files with Notes?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will a lot of the apps in the The iPhone App Megathread apply to the touch too?

Right now I am debating on either a Zune HD 16gb or a Touch 8gb. I really like both, but am leaning in favor of the Touch since one of the Zunes key features, the ability to have apps, is useless as there are none.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
Yeah. It's usually pretty obvious when an app would require iPhone stuff like the camera.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

I said come in! posted:

Will a lot of the apps in the The iPhone App Megathread apply to the touch too?

Right now I am debating on either a Zune HD 16gb or a Touch 8gb. I really like both, but am leaning in favor of the Touch since one of the Zunes key features, the ability to have apps, is useless as there are none.

Pretty much any application that doesn't require a camera or a gps locator will also work for the touch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed earlier in the thread there were some complaints about vista 64bit support. But that was way back in 2007. Are those issues fixed now?

The Klumps DVD
Jun 14, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Does the I am T Pain app work with the 3rd generation touch?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Yeah I'm also curious about being able to use I am T Pain on the touch. I'm guessing the speakers would be muted with the headphones and mic combo. Is there a way to disable the muting? I want to be able to use my Touch to serenade the ladies with my autotuned voice, am I going to have to get a dedicated mic?

asked this on september 23rd and I still don't have an answer GOOD LUCK

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

The Klumps DVD posted:

Does the I am T Pain app work with the 3rd generation touch?

Yup, rockin it on the 32gb. You'll need to use the included headphones/mic though. The only way to play it out loud is to record with the headphones, save it. Then play back with the headphones unplugged.

KillerMojo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 7, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

I said come in! posted:

I noticed earlier in the thread there were some complaints about vista 64bit support. But that was way back in 2007. Are those issues fixed now?

I'm running on 64 bit Windows 7 and have had no problems.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Any recommendations for portable iPod speakers? The Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere 2 seems to be the gold standard, but surely there's something good for less. Main criteria: a rechargeable battery and a size small enough for a nightstand.

Also, I'm still looking for a combo Bluetooth/FM dock for my car.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Been using Vista64 with my new Touch just fine. No issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I said come in! posted:

To repeat, yes, the touch works fine with Vista/7 64-bit. I was using my 1G 16 GB touch with W7 x64 before I picked up a Mac.

• Locked thread