Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh man this is great news about the 64bit issues being fixed. I can't wait to get my ipod touch. :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
It's an ingenious little device, although it'll make you pine for an iPhone, if not the monthly phone bill associated with one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, I can't justify the iphone mostly because of the monthly phone bill, and I just don't use the basic cell phone I have right now enough as is to want to replace it. If I used a cell phone pretty heavily, I would spring for the iphone.

One of the things I am trying to decide on is either a refurbished 2nd gen 8gb touch or a brand new 3rd gen 8gb touch. I know I want to go with a 8gb, so the 2nd gen refurb seems to make the most sense to me. I have a pretty small music library and don't intend to play games on it.

The web browser, youtube, kindle, and applications are some of the big reasons why im springing for this device. Basically treating it like a PDA more than a music player. My current PDA is a Dell Axim x51 and is a bit outdated by todays standards, so it's going to be an upgrade to that.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

The web browser, youtube, kindle, and applications are some of the big reasons why im springing for this device. Basically treating it like a PDA more than a music player. My current PDA is a Dell Axim x51 and is a bit outdated by todays standards, so it's going to be an upgrade to that.
I was in the exact same boat as you before I got my 32GB 3G Touch: my 3G Touch replaced my Axim x51, and I haven't looked back since. YouTube is possible, Safari displays sites properly, the Maps app has been immensely helpful, WiFi support is spot-on (even with access points that require you to log in to use), and e-mail integrates perfectly with my GMail account! Aside from a couple of productivity apps that I purchased, the Touch was able to replace my PDA straight out of the box! I love it :3:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I said come in! posted:

One of the things I am trying to decide on is either a refurbished 2nd gen 8gb touch or a brand new 3rd gen 8gb touch.

They're the exact same thing. The 3rd gen improvements only apply to the 32gb and 64gb models. The only other difference is whether it comes with OS 3.0. Go for the refurb 2nd gen and save some money, but you'll have to pay $10 to get the OS update.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Itunes shows the 3.1 upgrade for only $5. :)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I opted for the 64GB version, even though my music library is pretty small. I've got it about half full because I've been dumping documentaries on it, and just hit play to go to sleep to hooked into my TV. That, and, there are LOT of good podcasts out there. I dumped about 50 of them on it so far, and listen to a new one every day while driving. I don't think I could live without it at this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ipod touch ordered. :woop:

Does anyone know how fast their free shipping option is (bought it on apple.com)? I am not expecting to get it until next monday though, but if it came this week that would be so incredibly cool.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 9, 2009

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm thinking about getting my mom an iPod touch since she is jealous of the games on my iPhone but doesn't want to pay for the phone bill. Are there any differences among the models besides capacity? Would she be fine with an 8 gb since she doesn't have much music? I looked at the apple site, but couldn't find any details on processors. Or I'm blind.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 8gb is 620 MHz, 128mb ram
The 32gb and 64gb are 833 MHz, 256mb ram

So go with a 32gb if your mom plans on playing a lot of video games on it. I bought the 8gb because I have a small music collection and don't intend to touch the video games on it, so the performance isn't that big of a deal.

And you are correct, as far as I know too, Apple.com does not have the specs on their iphone. I found it on here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod_touch

Also need to know when my touch will get here. I hope Apple ships it today. I wonder where their shipping plant is.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 9, 2009

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Drox posted:

I'm thinking about getting my mom an iPod touch since she is jealous of the games on my iPhone but doesn't want to pay for the phone bill. Are there any differences among the models besides capacity? Would she be fine with an 8 gb since she doesn't have much music? I looked at the apple site, but couldn't find any details on processors. Or I'm blind.

The 32GB and 64GB models have the same CPU/RAM as the iPhone 3GS. The 8GB touch is last year's touch, with inferior CPU and half the RAM. For anyone into games, it would be best to get the latest hardware, so the 32GB or 64GB models are really the best options.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

plester1 posted:

They're the exact same thing. The 3rd gen improvements only apply to the 32gb and 64gb models. The only other difference is whether it comes with OS 3.0. Go for the refurb 2nd gen and save some money, but you'll have to pay $10 to get the OS update.

When you buy a refurb does it come with a brand new battery? If it doesn't, that might be a big enough reason to get a 3rd Gen.

My 2nd Gen is already showing some signs of decreased battery life, but I also watch 2 hours of video on it every day on the train going to and from work. I'm predicting that in another year and a half the battery probably won't be able to hold a charge long enough to last me throughout one day :(

I remember the first week when I got it, I watched probably 5-6 hours of video on it before it died. Now to be safe I need to charge it every night because it will barely make it past two days worth of normal use.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Astro7x posted:

When you buy a refurb does it come with a brand new battery? If it doesn't, that might be a big enough reason to get a 3rd Gen.

My 2nd Gen is already showing some signs of decreased battery life, but I also watch 2 hours of video on it every day on the train going to and from work. I'm predicting that in another year and a half the battery probably won't be able to hold a charge long enough to last me throughout one day :(

I remember the first week when I got it, I watched probably 5-6 hours of video on it before it died. Now to be safe I need to charge it every night because it will barely make it past two days worth of normal use.

Some people think the 3.1 firmware is what's causing decreased battery life. The battery life of my 32GB 3rd gen has always been rather pitiful. I have drat near everything turned off, too (Bluetooth, push, location, even wifi when I play most games). It's difficult to take Apple seriously when they try to market the touch as a gaming device when the drat battery only lasts 3 hours tops while playing games on a full charge.

I can't imagine how bad the iPhone's battery life is.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

toxick posted:

I can't imagine how bad the iPhone's battery life is.

Its not as bad as you'd think because the iPhone is twice as thick, so it houses a larger overall battery.

However, you can still kill it super fast by gaming or doing streaming video.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"We wanted to let you know that your order has shipped." :woop: Delivery date is the 13th. :D

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Cross posting this from the Mac Hardware thread because I should have posted it here in the first place.

This is a pretty stupid question, but I'm obsessive, so I can't help asking.

I ordered an iTouch and it arrived just now, but it is loose in the box. Normally Amazon has those plastic airbag things, but this package does not seem to have any. The itouch is just inside banging around against all the walls anytime I tilt the box.

I know the itouch is in it's own packaging still and all, but is there any reason I should return this and have them send me out a new one?

I should add that now that it is opened, I hear a clicking noise whenever it is unlocked. I also heard the noise when I canceled the sync that it started when I plugged it in. It sounds audibly different than the clicking that the phone makes when you type etc... It sounds more like when a hard drive engages (I know this has flash mem though). Is this a normal click, or is my paranoia in the loose shipping causing this sound justified?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Jewce posted:

Cross posting this from the Mac Hardware thread because I should have posted it here in the first place.

This is a pretty stupid question, but I'm obsessive, so I can't help asking.

I ordered an iTouch and it arrived just now, but it is loose in the box. Normally Amazon has those plastic airbag things, but this package does not seem to have any. The itouch is just inside banging around against all the walls anytime I tilt the box.

I know the itouch is in it's own packaging still and all, but is there any reason I should return this and have them send me out a new one?

I should add that now that it is opened, I hear a clicking noise whenever it is unlocked. I also heard the noise when I canceled the sync that it started when I plugged it in. It sounds audibly different than the clicking that the phone makes when you type etc... It sounds more like when a hard drive engages (I know this has flash mem though). Is this a normal click, or is my paranoia in the loose shipping causing this sound justified?

Was the ipod box damaged? There is supposed to be a clicking sound when the ipod unlocks, as well as when you manually lock it.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Super Dude posted:

Was the ipod box damaged? There is supposed to be a clicking sound when the ipod unlocks, as well as when you manually lock it.

It was amazon and I guess they have that package free thing going on, so it shipped in the hard clear plastic that would have been inside a box, but instead it was just tossed in an amazon box. I bought it from Apple through amazon, so I know it was legit.

The plastic it came in was sealed and undamaged of course. The clicking noise that concerned me most was when I canceled it from syncing to itunes. Why would they program the device to make a sound that seems to mimic a hard drive beginning to spin?

Edit: I was looking at cases and saw that the iskin says something about the als being relocated on the newest model. What the heck is the als? Is that the antenna or something? Is anything affected when using the iskin on the newest model?

Jewce fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 12, 2009

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

So is there a list of goon-recommended apps? I've looked at the top apps in the app store, but most of them are stupid puzzle games. Searching on google just gives me blogs with the same old stuff.

At the moment I've got the Facebook, Simplist, Free Battery, TonePad, Last.fm, TubeMap, and NASA apps.

edit: just seen the iPhone app thread in the Cellphone Shack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep all of the app and game discussion is in the iphone thread because all of that stuff applies to the touch too.

In exciting news today, my touch is out for delivery. :woop:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Jewce posted:

It was amazon and I guess they have that package free thing going on, so it shipped in the hard clear plastic that would have been inside a box, but instead it was just tossed in an amazon box. I bought it from Apple through amazon, so I know it was legit.

The plastic it came in was sealed and undamaged of course. The clicking noise that concerned me most was when I canceled it from syncing to itunes. Why would they program the device to make a sound that seems to mimic a hard drive beginning to spin?

Edit: I was looking at cases and saw that the iskin says something about the als being relocated on the newest model. What the heck is the als? Is that the antenna or something? Is anything affected when using the iskin on the newest model?

The clicking noise is normal. There's no hard drive in it, its all flash memory.

ALS = ambient light sensor. The iPod will automatically adjust the screen brightness by sensing how bright it is. If you cover it up with a skin, it always thinks its super dark and can't adjust accordingly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got my touch today. Looking at the SA front page right now, and am trying to figure out how to zoom in more and look at it vertically.

[edit]
Never mind, figured it out. The touch screen keyboard hates my fingers though.

Also I am having issues logging into mail, and itunes. I know I am entering my login information correctly, but it is still coming back with a incorrect screen name/password. I am using a gmail account for my mail.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 12, 2009

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think it just really hates your fingers. All of that works fine on the touch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That and it really hates my passwords. All of my passwords are 10 characters long, and since you cant see if you are really entering them correctly until you hit submit, it is infuriating trying to get into a e-mail account.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
It takes some time to become proficient with the keyboard. For the first few days I owned my iPod, I totally sucked at typing on it. You'll get better.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I said come in! posted:

That and it really hates my passwords. All of my passwords are 10 characters long, and since you cant see if you are really entering them correctly until you hit submit, it is infuriating trying to get into a e-mail account.

When you're typing a password, it will show the last character you typed. Do it one character at a time, check what it says, and you won't have to sweat typos.

edit: For example, if my password was "wiggle", it would look like this for each character you typed.

w
*i
**g
***g
****l
*****e

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

toxick posted:

It takes some time to become proficient with the keyboard. For the first few days I owned my iPod, I totally sucked at typing on it. You'll get better.

Also typing on anything but landscaped mode is for masochists. Which is why it drives me crazy that twitteriffic doesn't offer it!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Also typing on anything but landscaped mode is for masochists. Which is why it drives me crazy that twitteriffic doesn't offer it!

That's why you should use Tweetie!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Super Dude posted:

That's why you should use Tweetie!

Which itunes store has tweetie? I just tried to get that, but itunes says its not available at the american store.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

I said come in! posted:

Which itunes store has tweetie? I just tried to get that, but itunes says its not available at the american store.

It is for me. I just typed Tweetie into the search bar and it was the first result. It's actually Tweetie 2, but it still shows up when you type Tweetie.

Here is the official website if you want it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There it is! Thank you. The link in the app thread must just be broken.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

I said come in! posted:

There it is! Thank you. The link in the app thread must just be broken.

I would suggest that you jailbreak your ipod as well. You can get similar apps from Cydia for free, plus add some really cool options to the ipod.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One last question, how do I get album art downloaded from itunes? I see the option but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have a lot of songs with no album art.

[edit]
Was just looking around for something that works better than itunes automatic album artwork finder, and couldn't find anything useful for Windows. Lots of good stuff for Mac though.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 13, 2009

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ive tried a bunch of programs that try and do the artwork, and never really found one that worked well enough to my standards. I just google the album and find the best image and drag and drop it right onto the album. It might be a lot of work if you have a TON of crap that iTunes isn't recognizing, but at least you only have to do it once.

Hopefully.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, I agree. It looks like i'll have to do it the manual way. All of the programs out there are crap.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Unfortunately that is what I have had to do as well.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, I agree. It looks like i'll have to do it the manual way. All of the programs out there are crap.

I tried a couple of programs, and they were poo poo. It took me about 18 hours all in, to do it myself. Grim... but worth it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is the Jailbreaking info in the OP up to date? I looked up quickpwn and from what I can tell it applies to 2G and below. I've got a 3G, using 3.1.2 and am not sure if I can jailbreak using quickpwn.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 13, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Xanin posted:

Is the Jailbreaking info in the OP up to date? I looked up quickpwn and from what I can tell it applies to 2G and below. I've got a 3G, using 3.1.2 and am not sure if I can jailbreak using quickpwn.

Get with the times and use Blackra1n.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

This is actually quite awesome (plug the ipod in, fire up blackra1n, click on the "make it rain" button and presto), but keep in mind that if you switch off your iPod (not just going to sleep mode, but turning it off completely), when you turn it on again you'll get the "connect to itunes" prompt. Don't panic, just plug it in and run blackra1n again and you're good to go.

• Locked thread