Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

My favorite so far is that, when I pull into the garage after riding, since I leave the door open to the rest of the house, the entire down-stairs smells like bike.

It's a great smell.

EXCELLENT.

Environmental changes. Obviously not the first to mention it. Cruise a valley floor until you're unbearably hot and then duck into a wet mountain. Everything changes. EVERYTHING. The temperature, the smells, the thickness of the air, the sun occludes behind the trees, the wind upsets your line, the patches of wetness alert your attention, and if you're lucky your song will coincidentally switch to something quiet and hypnotic at just this moment and your engine will rumble off of the mountain walls and everything will be perfect.

Knowing that my bike is kind of big and goofy and even other riders don't really know what to make of it, but I can cruise, I can carve, I can get dirty, and I can put a drat mobile home's worth of poo poo on the back if I want (DL650 farkled)

Letting off the throttle at highway speed, listening to the workhorse spin down to nothing, to adjust my cramp buster, and then tearing through the silence with the sharpness of the wide open throttle to get my speed back to cruising. vrrrrrrrrrrrhmm.................. <godly peacefullness of wind and road noise>
..................VRWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHvrmmmmmmm

I'll always have a next dream. Waking up to the Arctic Circle? Super sport? Maybe a fun little scoot for town? Maybe a beautiful classic cruiser? It's like being able to have a Ferrari, Iron Duke Jeep, an old mustang, and a Honda Fit, but for 1/1000th of the price.

Transforming into the Road Hulk when you've been cut off by an SUV who thinks he's being a bad rear end, ripping past his open window balls to the wall, utterly disturbing him for the rest of the day and taking back the poo poo the belongs to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

-Being a source of amazement and intimidation to cagers.

-Arriving to any place not often ridden to on a motorcycle (grocery store, work, college party)

-Riding in the rain and during winter, and knowing that other bikers in their cages are wishing they did the same.

-The great performance and feedback you get. Even a 30 year old bike is a joy to ride.

-Getting to a twisty onramp or offramp, slowing down to give yourself space from the cager who is by now almost completely through the turn, and then absolutely carving through the turn and coming up right on their rear end before they even get out of the corner.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Bike noob here; just got a Ninja 500 as my first motorcycle two weeks ago

1. The sensation of being pulled off my Ninja 500 at full throttle, with the insane throb of the engine echoing in my helmet. And infusing the same sensation in my passengers.

2. My girlfriend falling in love with me all over again.

3. Feeling worlds apart from the cagers.

4. No distractions as compared to driving a car, making me feel safer. Full focus is there. I don't get that all-too-familiar staid and dulled mindset on my Ninja. There's no large 3500-pound body cladding encompassing me to put me in a complacent state.

5. The supersonic speed of my bike. It's just a 500cc, yeah, but to me it's a jet loving fighter.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 12, 2009

r!de the short bus
Nov 22, 2007
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." Dostoevsky
another noob here, not to two wheels however, i have been riding road bicycles for about 4 years. Once i got my motercycle it just felt natural so this thread makes me think about whats really causing my goofy grin....

1. smell! mmm leather and fumes
2. people always starin at you cuz they are jealous!!!!!
3. chicks always want to ride on the back with me
4. exploring awesome mountainous roads with amazing turns
5. unobstructed 180 view of gorgeous surroundings (if you are somewhere nice)

6. acceleration!

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

UserNotFound posted:

I have to admit, I've not waved to more bikes than I have.

Slight fork, but what's up with waving on the freeway? I get waves from oncoming dudes across concrete barriers plus two breakdown lanes on 101, each of us going 75. How the gently caress am I supposed to catch a wave and acknowledge it with a 150mph speed differential? I feel kind of lame not responding, but there's not much I can do.

I wave on twisties though, plenty of time there at my pace :unsmith:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Never have that happen often. There's usually too much going on on my side of I-5 for me to even notice a motorcycle on the other side 'til it's already passing.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
As far as on the highways, if i'm on my own I almost always catch bikes coming the other way. I've always looked really really far into traffic and my surroundings. I think it stems from trying to ID cool cars as a kid. Motorcycles pop out in my vision like spidey sense.

If riding in a group of friends, and not leading, it takes up much more of my concentration and I ignore everything on the other side of the barrier. That's another thing I love the poo poo out of: knowing/trusting a friend well enough that your bikes flow through traffic like a single entity.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
New list, from 2nd month of riding

- the kids that always, inevitably look at me. Especially when I'm next to a packed school bus with girlfriend in the back. My red Ninja 500R keeps eyes glued to us, and the girlfriend entertains them.
- being confronted with heavy traffic. My ability to thread through small gaps plus being able to swiftly accelerate through horrid traffic makes for a world of difference.
- walking to my two jobs and to social gatherings in/with my gear. Always feel like a badass in my armor.
- riding my 250R for a whole day and then riding my 500R and noticing a marked improvement in my handling the 500.
- people find it easier to start a convo with you when you've got a bike

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
accidentally letting the clutch out too abruptly while downshifting on a steeply curving offramp in the rain, feeling the rear wheel skid about a foot, and then getting the biggest poo poo-eating grin in the world as you come out of the turn and merge into traffic.

... I might be insane.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Real men back it into traffic.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Slim Pickens posted:

Real men back it into traffic.

Well, into the parking lot at work...
and the gas station...
and my street.

Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 14, 2009

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
1. Accelerating from corners
2. Setting off on a tour with the destination "somewhere in that direction", a couple thousand kilometers away :haw:
3. The Wave
4. Taking a break beside the road and listening to the bike plinking and ticking as it's cooling off
5. The feeling of being one with the environment instead of sitting in a closed-off, air-conditioned box: If it's hot, you sweat. If it rains, you get wet.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
1. Leaving the driveway having no clue where you're headed.
2. When you get off your bike after a ride and your body feels like you just woke up from a long nap.
3. The smell of leather from your gloves that keeps you smelling your hands throughout the day.
4. Surprising yourself when you notice improvements in your riding technique.
5. The attention. Not that my bike is sexy, but when you're walking around with your gear, nobody is the wiser.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but the wave feels like a chore to me. I do it so people don't think I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I don't really feel any camaraderie with other bikers because I'm not into sportbike or cruiser "culture." Then again, I have no friends, so go figure!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Legerdemain posted:

Maybe I'm a jerk, but the wave feels like a chore to me. I do it so people don't think I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I don't really feel any camaraderie with other bikers because I'm not into sportbike or cruiser "culture." Then again, I have no friends, so go figure!

Same here to a degree, but 90% of the people that wave to me are doing it from atop their 600SS/literbikes wearing Vans, cargo shorts and a teeshirt, with a purple mohawk on their $600 helmet. So yeah, I don't wanna be the jerk, but I have zero interest in associating with those people.

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School
1. A downhill, decreasing-radius exit ramp when there's no traffic, leaned over and grinning like a fool.

2. Sitting outside of a coffee place, drinking coffee and watching people in minivans and SUVs pull up to snag the space where my bike is parked, then watching the drivers die a little inside as they go back to looking for a good spot.

3. Always being able to twist the throttle and accel around someone who can't drive.

4. The smells: Leather, gas, hot tires...

5. The look on little kids faces--knowing that however much of a complete dork I am when I'm not riding I am the definition of cool for that kid at that moment.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
1. Turning down roads because "hey, I have never been on this road"
2. Having the favorite road on my commute totally to myself
3. Watching people openly stare at my bike while stopped at intersections
4. Carrying my helmet into the office and telling people who ask "nah, just carrying it"
5. Curves

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
1. Tucking under the windshield of my Ninja, going WOT, and banging through the gears. Watching the tach kiss 12k rpm and then up shifting is just awesome.
2. The noise my bike makes under WOT, It just gets better and better the higher it climbs.
3. The wave.
4. Coming out of a corner, straightening the bike and up and nailing it.
5. Being able to park right up front everywhere I go.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

1. Perfectly times tunes blaring out of my faring. One time, just as I rolled up past a bunch of Harleys, Yakkety Sax started playing. :haw: The crescendo of a song starting, right as the light turns green, etc.

2. The feeling of being part of the environment - of being a participant in the scenery and not just watching it like a TV. Smells, temperature, the warmth of the sun.

3. Having my wife with me when I ride. Even though we don't have an intercom, we do a great job communicating our thoughts and then when we stop she shows me all sorts of awesome pictures she's taken of things I missed. Plus, it's kind of :smugdog: but the feeling of having your girl with you when you go by other bikers is awesome.

4. Seeing myself in a window or reflection. Sounds awfully narcissistic, but when I see myself in a store window as I go by on a huge black :black101: motorcycle, I give a little mental "gently caress YEAH!" to myself.

5. Little kids looking at me as I go by with this expression :aaa:

EDIT: Can I give 6?

6. Absolutely destroying car drivers off the line that think because I have a huge cruiser, they can race me.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Okay, I know I've already thrown in my top five, but gently caress it here's five more. Again, in no order.

1: How loving cool I look in my mesh riding gear. Yeah I'm a narcissistic prick. But I look bad-rear end. (and those are Draggin Jeans, but have been replaced with Olympia Airglide pants)

2: How when you're on the bike, you just stop giving a poo poo about almost everything else (Mostly traffic laws). It puts the world in perspective and makes you realize what's really important.

3: Just how weird it is that everyone else is riding around in a metal box with all the comforts of home, and I'm sitting with an engine between my legs and little else.

4: When some dumbass cage either intentionally or unintentionally tries to kill you/cut you off when lane splitting, and you handle it smoothly and swiftly without giving them a second thought, making them look like even more of a tool by easily dodging around them.

5: Not having to give drunk people rides home/Girls asking you to take them for rides :D

*edit*

6: Tunnels!

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 18, 2009

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
1. The Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel
2. Parking at the gate of the shipyard without having to work there for 20 years
3. Getting pounded in the chest and still not wanting a windshield
4. Footpegs scraping in a corner
5. Knowing when the rangers are too busy to patrol the Colonial Parkway

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Tsaven Nava posted:

. . .
5: Not having to give drunk people rides home/Girls asking you to take them for rides :D
. . .

Found out recently that over here (UK), even if the person on the back has the requisite gear, if they're drunk, then it's illegal to give them a ride on the back of the bike. No matter what state of drunkeness or not the driver is in.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 18, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Orange Someone posted:

Found out recently that over here (UK), even if the person on the back has the requisite gear, if they're drunk, then it's illegal to give them a ride on the back of the bike. No matter what state of drunkeness or not the driver is in.

I actually understand this. Someone being stupid or uncoordinated riding bitch can cause a wipeout quite easily.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Orange Someone posted:

That isn't really surprising when you consider how much a passenger can gently caress up your riding. I'd imagine having a drunk shifting around on the back of my bike would be an awful experience.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Ummm, don't remember how many i've posted...

12) As if being on a bike doesn't get enough attention, locking the rear break and sliding to a stop from 15mph certainly does :D I think I made some little kid pee his pants, he was so excited!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Tsaven Nava posted:

How when you're on the bike, you just stop giving a poo poo about almost everything else (Mostly traffic laws). It puts the world in perspective and makes you realize what's really important.

My 50cc scooter's introduction of this subtle, yet nefarious reality knocked me out of my socks and propelled me inevitably to the world of motorcycles.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

the walkin dude posted:

My 50cc scooter's introduction of this subtle, yet nefarious reality knocked me out of my socks and propelled me inevitably to the world of motorcycles.

My first extensive riding experience was an 80cc scooter that I had for two months when I was living, and riding, in India. Yes, that India, the tech support India. Didn't exactly instill a lot of respect for traffic laws in me.

Seriously, I'm a good, courteous, safe driver when I'm in a cage. But on two wheels? gently caress it. My license plate is too dirty and mangled to be read by traffic law enforcement cameras, and I will take full advantage of the smaller size of my chosen mode of transportation.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Back on a bike after several years away (boo), only a Shadow 600 but still...

1. Acceleration. VRROOOM! Even going up to 50 km/h is exciting on a bike.
2. *Riding* the bike. Even if it's fairly routine, you are still *doing* something all the time, shifting, steering, braking, looking for problems... you are completely involved in the ride, not bored out of your skull in a metal cage.
3. Having an engine and fuel tank right there in my crotch. POWER. Of course it's a midlife crisis dick replacement. So what? VROOOM!
4. Kids either staring or waving.
5. Wearing gear that makes you look badass even if you are completely not.

and because going over 5 is now popular...

6. Actually wanting to go out and ride. I hate driving cars and avoid it whenever possible. But any excuse to take out the bike? I'm there.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Figured I needed to add a #6 to my list:

6. Even though it hurts to move my wrist, and bending it causes great pain I still go out riding.

Seriously though my loving wrist hurts like hell and nothing seems to make it feel better :[

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

Figured I needed to add a #6 to my list:

6. Even though it hurts to move my wrist, and bending it causes great pain I still go out riding.

Seriously though my loving wrist hurts like hell and nothing seems to make it feel better :[

What did you do to it?

I had problems with my throttle hand my first year of riding, but I got it sorted after I lightened up on the bars.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

What did you do to it?

I had problems with my throttle hand my first year of riding, but I got it sorted after I lightened up on the bars.

Broke my arm twice :(

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

dietcokefiend posted:

Broke my arm twice :(

Badly mangled, or recently? I've broken my left arm twice (once at the shoulder socket..."Is my shoulder disconnected, doc?" "Nope, broken clean through, here's a sling!!"...and the wrist on the same arm 2 months later) and suffer no ill effects from either.

13) The inevitable "did you loving ride today?!" from a coworker from Alabama who rode daily there, moved her to Indiana 3ish years ago, and hasn't ridden his motorcycle since. If I show up on the first day of winter on my bike, and he has an aneurysm, it's not murder, right? I love the poo poo out of how much I love riding, and how other people (even the fair-weather riders) just don't understand me.

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 21, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

Badly mangled, or recently? I've broken my left arm twice (once at the shoulder socket..."Is my shoulder disconnected, doc?" "Nope, broken clean through, here's a sling!!"...and the wrist on the same arm 2 months later) and suffer no ill effects from either.

Broke the wrist when I was 8-9, then snapped my ulna in 7th grade. Only started to notice the pain during intense movement through the arms like heavy carwork, bicycle riding, motorcycle riding, etc. The vibration is killer though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

UserNotFound posted:

13) The inevitable "did you loving ride today?!" from a coworker from Alabama who rode daily there, moved her to Indiana 3ish years ago, and hasn't ridden his motorcycle since. If I show up on the first day of winter on my bike, and he has an aneurysm, it's not murder, right? I love the poo poo out of how much I love riding, and how other people (even the fair-weather riders) just don't understand me.

I love that. I have to admit to riding in on days colder than I'd probably have liked for the "WTF are you doing riding in January?" comments. :shobon:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

UserNotFound posted:

I love this, walking in yesterday morning when it was around 35f and everyone else was in huge winter jackets. Boss just shakes his head and calls me crazy.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Bwhahahahaha.

12: My girlfriend's comment after her first extended ride on the back of my bike: "Wow, I can totally see how girls who can orgasm [from mostly clit stimulation] would enjoy that."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

NitroSpazzz posted:

I love this, walking in yesterday morning when it was around 35f and everyone else was in huge winter jackets. Boss just shakes his head and calls me crazy.

This is my new number 6.

Number 7 is seeing the only other dude on a bike today riding the exact same thing and realizing you own a bike for diehards.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tsaven Nava posted:

Bwhahahahaha.

12: My girlfriend's comment after her first extended ride on the back of my bike: "Wow, I can totally see how girls who can orgasm [from mostly clit stimulation] would enjoy that."

One argument against I4s.

One loving good argument.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

One argument against I4s.

One loving good argument.

An argument against Harleys: Eastern Block dental work.

Seriously, I thought I was going to lose fillings when I rode a Sportster.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

redscare posted:

An argument against Harleys: Eastern Block dental work.

Seriously, I thought I was going to lose fillings when I rode a Sportster.

RevDrMosesPLester's KTM 440 two stroke is the most vibraty bike in the world. I literally cannot see when sitting down on that bike it vibrates my eyes so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
well fine, but does it stimulate your clit?

• Locked thread