Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rukulaz
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Thumbs Up

shadok posted:

This might be The Marching Morons by C.M. Kornbluth, which isn't really a whole book but just a novella. In that story, the smart people have a secret base in Antarctica.

Fantastic! Thank you very much! This is exactly what he described! .... Now to track down a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, maybe? posted:

Not only does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing, but the right hand has a pretty fuzzy idea as well.

Can someone confirm if this quote is from this book, or one of the sequels? Google's not helping.

gruvmeister
Dec 28, 2006

Spring has sprung,
The grass has riz,
I wonder where the flowers is

King Nothing posted:

Can someone confirm if this quote is from this book, or one of the sequels? Google's not helping.

Sounds like something that could be in there, but perhaps it was 'head' and not 'hand', in reference to Zaphod?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

gruvmeister posted:

Sounds like something that could be in there, but perhaps it was 'head' and not 'hand', in reference to Zaphod?

Can't turn up anything with that idea either, although I'm pretty sure it is "hand". I think it was referring to a bureaucracy (the Vogons?) maybe?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Unkempt posted:

'The Coppersmith', Lester Del Rey. http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?52350

Excellent, thank you.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I'm trying to find the titles of two books, both science fiction, and both for Young Adults. I'm fairly sure they were both published in the 80s or early 90s, but I'm not certain.

The first is basically about a girl who lives in an arcology of sorts, where everything's dirty and there's ramps to go up or down floors. She ends up escaping along with a strange new kid from her class by traveling up a ton of floors and ending up on the surface, where there's a ton of domes. Then they make a journey through the wilderness to escape back to the kid's home, which is a farming community or something. I've looked for this book, but I can't remember the title, and searching has lead nowhere.

The second one also has a female main character from a rich family. She gets kidnapped and ends up being forced to build a space colony, along with other kids and runaways. In this one, California has broken off to form a bunch of islands and it starts in a themepark when she gets kidnapped. Most of the book is about her building a space colony and trying to escape, though.

I read these books a lot 10-15 years ago, so I know the storylines quite well, I just can't remember the titles. Please help me! Thanks!

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

thedaian posted:

I'm trying to find the titles of two books, both science fiction, and both for Young Adults. I'm fairly sure they were both published in the 80s or early 90s, but I'm not certain.

The first is basically about a girl who lives in an arcology of sorts, where everything's dirty and there's ramps to go up or down floors. She ends up escaping along with a strange new kid from her class by traveling up a ton of floors and ending up on the surface, where there's a ton of domes. Then they make a journey through the wilderness to escape back to the kid's home, which is a farming community or something. I've looked for this book, but I can't remember the title, and searching has lead nowhere.

This suggestion from Morlock, book identification SUPERSTAR possibly might be it.

Morlock posted:

HM Hoover's This Time of Darkness? The kids are called Amy and Axel; that Amy can read while most people underground can't is an important plot point because she can read notices and instructions once they get close to the surface, and Axel is from a farm outside, came in accidentally on a supply train and was raped by the local derelicts so everyone figures his stories of growing things are just trauma.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

nightchild12 posted:

This suggestion from Morlock, book identification SUPERSTAR possibly might be it.

Holy poo poo, that's it. The same author wrote the second book I was looking for, too. Thanks!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

nightchild12 posted:

Think Morlock might could help me find this book?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Now, I read this back in Junior high, so bear with me.

The setting was medieval or pre christ at least. there were 2 sons and one son was the main guy of the book. For this guys birthday, his dads concubine was hitting on him, trying to sex him up. He thinks about it and refuses. his dad finds out and is all " thats a good boy. if you had done it I would have kicked your rear end. now do her anyway. thats your present"

Blah blah a bunch of poo poo happens I don't remember.

Now at the end , this guy is broke, alone and everything. He runs into his brother, who is gibbering all this religious sounding nonsense(guy is clearly insane) and he has a pregnant wife. Anyway, she gives birth on the side of the road(she is probably insane as well) and the main guy is thinking " poo poo, I could turn this into a major power organization that I would control"

The main guy is kind of a scheming Machiavelli type character.

I've been trying to think of this for years. I even went back to my junior high and browsed through the library to see if anything sparked a memory, but no dice.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Think Morlock might could help me find this book?

I really want to know why you're so desperate to find this book.

Buster Stroker
Dec 25, 2006

I read a book about 6 years ago that I think was fairly new to paperback at that point. The story centered around one woman who's daughter had abruptly stop speaking and was living on the street. She would sit by the side of the road holding a sign that said "kindness" and wearing oven mits. In the story you find out that her hands were badly burned trying to save a woman on fire and she went a little mad. I have been trying for years to remember the title with no luck.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Like A Trollop posted:

The story centered around one woman who's daughter had abruptly stop speaking and was living on the street. She would sit by the side of the road holding a sign that said "kindness" and wearing oven mits.

Could that be Unless by Carol Shields?

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Heard about a book here in TBB, and cannot remember the title or author for the life of me. It was a sci fi novel about revenge. Guy is the only survivor on a wrecked spaceship, sees another ship from his company and sends a distress call, ship ignores him, and the guy vows revenge. If I remember right from the first chapter, he spoke with a cockney accent or something like that.

edit: Thanks

Xenix fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 17, 2009

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Xenix posted:

Heard about a book here in TBB, and cannot remember the title or author for the life of me. It was a sci fi novel about revenge. Guy is the only survivor on a wrecked spaceship, sees another ship from his company and sends a distress call, ship ignores him, and the guy vows revenge. If I remember right from the first chapter, he spoke with a cockney accent or something like that.

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xenix posted:

The Stars My Destination (Or 'Tiger! Tiger!')

E:FB

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Omegamegadinozord posted:

I might be mixing more than one story up here:

A boy (young teens) lives in a castle, a tinkerer arrives at the castle and it is revealed that the boy has the potential to be a spell-slinger. The boy leaves the castle to train at some academy, where one of the first things he sees is a duel between powerful mages. During his training, a portal of fire opens over the sea and all sorts of nonsense starts pouring out of it. The boy is, of course, the key to saving the world. He embarks on some sort of quest into a desert with some companions, and there is a part where he summons a globe of light to help him see into a pyramid or something.

That's all I remember. I'm certain that this novel was part of a very famous series, but I can't seem to remember which.

Surprised no one answered this one. Almost certainly the Riftwar series by Raymond Feist, first book is Magician: Apprentice

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 18, 2009

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

King Nothing posted:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy says it's from Life, The Universe, and Everything

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shonagon posted:

I really want to know why you're so desperate to find this book.

Because it's been bugging the gently caress out of me for years now.
I can't find it. Have you never had something escape your grasp before?

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005
This book is at least 15 years old, I remember borrowing it at the library back when I was a teenager. There were multiple car-themed short stories by various writers in it, mostly sci-fi/anticipation. Not a thick book, I'd say probably a tad less than two hundred pages in paperback form. The cover was a black & white pic of an antique car from the 20s or 30s. I've been thinking of this book on and off for a few years, and Google doesn't give significant results so far.

If you happen to know at least the title of ONE story or its author, I'm sure I could find the whole book's title by that.

A few resumes from some stories, to the best of my (blurry) memory, may be inaccurate though:

-Ongoing war between pedestrians and drivers. Some guy was ran over by a car and there was a trial about it. A man from the "cars" clan hated his own legs (some sickness had setted in, probably from not using them enough).

-The government wanting to cut down the number of cars on the roads (oil shortage? pollution?), a lottery was in place for those who still wanted to drive, either for business or fun. If one's number was drawn, he lost his license and pretty sure he got a death penalty also. A driver heard his number on the radio, and then commited suicide on the side of the road (after a cigarette and a long thought process).

-A young guy just got his driving license, went driving on a road and got involved in a massive car crash. He then woke up in a white room, and was informed the whole crash thing was a "dream" he got under some kind of hypnosis as the final part of his driving lessons. He said fine, give me my license, but it was refused to him because he "normally should have been traumatized enough" to be afraid of driving for a few months after such a crash. Wanting to drive right now meant he wasn't aware enough of the dangers.

-A bunch of people driving to the beach, getting out of their car and wading into the ocean to drown there.

-At least one story of sentient cars... My searches often lead me to Asimov's Sally, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Trying to find Sally in a collective book was a dead end also.

Wish I recalled more details, I remember I really liked most of the book.

Thanks for the help!

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.
Okay, here's one:

The title is something along the lines of "The Horrible Teachers vs. the Splendid Children," and it's about teachers using mind control to corral in creativity and brightness among unruly classrooms.

As I recall, Evil Won, which blew my mind when I was 9 years old. No luck looking for the title and googling has given me bupkis, anyone have an idea?

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

fahrvergnugen posted:

Okay, here's one:

The title is something along the lines of "The Horrible Teachers vs. the Splendid Children," and it's about teachers using mind control to corral in creativity and brightness among unruly classrooms.

As I recall, Evil Won, which blew my mind when I was 9 years old. No luck looking for the title and googling has given me bupkis, anyone have an idea?

Bang: http://www.amazon.com/Between-Pitiful-Teachers-Splendid-Kids/dp/0380578026

Great book.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Ordered! Thank you.

Xehupatl
Sep 11, 2001

OUT! OUT! YOU DEMONS OF STUPIDITY!!
Here'S a set of books I've been looking for recently:

It's a set of two books filled with short stories about mathematics. I remember reading a lot about moebius braids and the "4-colour country map"-problem.

I borrowed these books from my university library, and they were for a mature audience, I think. I distinctly remember the word "mathemagical", but I can't really be sure.

Please help!

edit: never mind, found them: "Fantasia Mathematica" and "The Mathematical Magpie" by Clifton Fadiman

Xehupatl fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 24, 2009

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jeece posted:

-A young guy just got his driving license, went driving on a road and got involved in a massive car crash. He then woke up in a white room, and was informed the whole crash thing was a "dream" he got under some kind of hypnosis as the final part of his driving lessons. He said fine, give me my license, but it was refused to him because he "normally should have been traumatized enough" to be afraid of driving for a few months after such a crash. Wanting to drive right now meant he wasn't aware enough of the dangers.

If it helps any, this is Test by Theodore L. Thomas. The kid experiences a horrific crash that kills his mother, only to wake to find it was virtual reality. If I recall correctly, he's dragged off at the end by the driver's-license police, down a corridor with grooves carved in the floor by the heels of the many failed applicants hauled away in the past.

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005
:woop:

Sure looks like it! I kinda remembered there was a woman in the car with him (girlfriend/mother), screaming endlessly before/during the crash.

I was able to track the book with the info you provided me (THANKS!), seems it's a French book with original stories as well as translated ones.

Les autos sauvages (Wild Cars)

Summary:
Theodore Lockard THOMAS, Test
Philippe COUSIN, La Loi loto
Ib MELCHIOR, The racer - story that spawned Death Race 2000! I don't remember such a story in this book, but I have to read it again more than ever.
Fritz LEIBER, X marks the pedwalk
Robert F. YOUNG, Sweet tooth
Claude-François CHEINISSE, Juliette
Christine RENARD, Mark
Roger ZELAZNY, Devil Car
Michel JEURY, Maxima la kickaha
Dino BUZZATI, Suicide au parc
Richard MATHESON, Lemmings - (I like this author, but I haven't read much of him yet)

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Help please!

* SciFi

* Aliens invade earth

* Become dominant

* Employ certain humans for menial tasks

* The aliens operate with some sort of hive mind

* Can read thoughts so attacks from humans don't work

* A boy is trained from early on to hide his thoughts

* After many years training he attacks

* My fuzzy memory says this doesn't really work

* I can't remember the end

Any thoughts?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

huh posted:

Help please!

* SciFi

* Aliens invade earth

* Become dominant

Any thoughts?
Vaguely sounds like The Tripods series by John Christopher.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

huh posted:

Help please!

* SciFi

* Aliens invade earth

* Become dominant

Any thoughts?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/l-sprague-de-camp/divide-and-rule-sword-of-rhiannon.htm

Sounds a lot like the Divide and Rule part of that double book.

Zebco
Nov 1, 2009

Eat. Sleep. Folk.
I can only vaguely remember reading a story, probably some type of "young adult fiction" about a society that was somehow ostracized by the rest of the world and forced to live out in the wild. I know that is REALLY vague, but the only other thing I can remember about the story is that is ended with the main character becoming part of the people that live in the wild.

E: I just remembered as I submitted that all of the people living in the wilderness memorize a great work of literature as children and then have to recite it to an elder. This is pretty much the most specific thing I can remember, it has probably been ten years since I read it.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Zebco posted:

I can only vaguely remember reading a story, probably some type of "young adult fiction" about a society that was somehow ostracized by the rest of the world and forced to live out in the wild. I know that is REALLY vague, but the only other thing I can remember about the story is that is ended with the main character becoming part of the people that live in the wild.

E: I just remembered as I submitted that all of the people living in the wilderness memorize a great work of literature as children and then have to recite it to an elder. This is pretty much the most specific thing I can remember, it has probably been ten years since I read it.

Until that edit I was going for Fahrenheit 451, it was vague enough to fit in there.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Well, that last bit IS from Fahrenheit 451. The people Montag meets after running away from the Hound all have memorized books to keep them intact for the future.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

NinjaDebugger posted:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/l-sprague-de-camp/divide-and-rule-sword-of-rhiannon.htm

Sounds a lot like the Divide and Rule part of that double book.

regulargonzalez posted:

Vaguely sounds like The Tripods series by John Christopher.

I will check both out.

Many thanks!

Sexy Peril
May 9, 2008

Zebco posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say The Giver by Lois Lowry?

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I'm trying to find a short story about a man who pretends to be really poor so that he can beg for money. I think there's a rather long sequence about him changing his clothes to look like a beggar, but I'm not sure. Also, I think he has to bribe a policeman or something who knows about his tricks?

Not really expecting to find it from such a vague description, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

The Erland posted:

I'm trying to find a short story about a man who pretends to be really poor so that he can beg for money. I think there's a rather long sequence about him changing his clothes to look like a beggar, but I'm not sure. Also, I think he has to bribe a policeman or something who knows about his tricks?

Not really expecting to find it from such a vague description, but I figure it's worth a shot.

There's a Sherlock Holmes story that fits this description, The Man With The Twisted Lip.

Found it online here: http://www.mysterynet.com/holmes/06twistedlip/

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005
edit: or this one ^^

The Erland posted:

From your description, it fits the "Blind Willie" part of Hearts in Atlantis from Stephen King.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Jeece posted:

edit: or this one ^^

From your description, it fits the "Blind Willie" part of Hearts in Atlantis from Stephen King.

Bingo! Thank you. :) That Sherlock Holmes story is pretty cool too, actually.

Mad Mage Era
Nov 25, 2009
I remember reading the back of this book in middle school and, for one reason or another, I never ended up checking it out. It's a Young Adult sci-fi story about a girl who gets a brain transplant, but the brain's former memories start coming to the surface.

I wish I could go more in-depth, but again, I never actually read the book. Any clues? I'd sure appreciate it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mad Mage Era posted:

I remember reading the back of this book in middle school and, for one reason or another, I never ended up checking it out. It's a Young Adult sci-fi story about a girl who gets a brain transplant, but the brain's former memories start coming to the surface.

I wish I could go more in-depth, but again, I never actually read the book. Any clues? I'd sure appreciate it.

Comedy answer: I Will Fear No Evil by Robert Heinlein. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Mage Era
Nov 25, 2009

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Comedy answer: I Will Fear No Evil by Robert Heinlein. :haw:

Oh my goodness, that just might be it. :dance: If it's not, it's still drat close, though I get the feeling the book I was looking at wasn't a comedy. Thanks!

Mad Mage Era fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 27, 2009