Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hasty Apology posted:

I'd be astonished if they put it together- I'll admit to being pretty ignorant of Criterion's record of film restoration, but there's so much footage that seems to only exist as shoddy work prints. If it outdoes the fan DVD I'd certainly buy it up quick.

Thief and the Cobbler is kind of an inside joke around here. Egbert Souse is actually one of the people on the fan DVD commentary track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasty Apology
Sep 1, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Thief and the Cobbler is kind of an inside joke around here. Egbert Souse is actually one of the people on the fan DVD commentary track.

...bit of an egg on my face, then!
I don't know what other animated movies they could pick up. Kino released a Tezuka collection, but I don't know much about his work or just who owns the rights to what. A general Richard Williams collection seems like it would be great to own- I know he's worked on everything from UPA flat stuff to commercials to an animated Christmas Carol. I'm sure whatever they pick- if they do break into animation- will be good enough for me.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It might be too artsy for Criterion but Norman McLaren's experiments with animation and music would be awesome to see in a small Criterion quality collection. For example Boogie Doodle, Synchromy, and a bunch of others.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I can't believe we all missed the most obvious selection: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut

Clearly, this is the best answer.

Egbert Souse posted:

Well, Benjamin Button isn't exactly a blockbuster like Ghostbusters or an enormous cultural phenomenon like 2001, but I get the idea. Whenever the Criterion get a hold of releases like these it reminds us that almost anything is possible.

Almost. Disney. :v:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Richard Williams owns the rights to his short films (including A Christmas Carol) and a set has apparently been in the works. I'm surprised ACC hasn't been released to tie into the new movie or even the recent BluRay of the '51 movie with Alistair Sim.

One label did look into The Thief, but rights issues have made the US cut go out of print twice on DVD already, let alone making a restored release possible.

mod sassinator posted:

It might be too artsy for Criterion but Norman McLaren's experiments with animation and music would be awesome to see in a small Criterion quality collection. For example Boogie Doodle, Synchromy, and a bunch of others.

Image/Home Vision released a comprehensive 7-disc set of his films a few years ago. All restored and remastered, with a lot of documentaries and outtakes. It's up for rental on Netflix, but you can get a good deal when DeepDiscountDVD and DVDPlanet have sales. Easily one of my favorite shorts collections. I've watched the disc with his hand-painted films more than any of the others.

I have emailed them about Len Lye, who is only represented on BFI's GPO shorts collections (and only 2-3 films are included). All 17 of his films would fit on one disc.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sale has begun to go live.

So far only DVD's are showing up 50% off, but Blu-Rays should follow soon. I'm about to run out to the store to see if the sale is effective there too.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=16642&linkid=1402269

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Sale has begun to go live.

So far only DVD's are showing up 50% off, but Blu-Rays should follow soon. I'm about to run out to the store to see if the sale is effective there too.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-The-Criterion-Collection-of-Special-Edition-DVDs/379000756/?cds2Pid=16642&linkid=1402269

Aww, the website doesn't have La Haine. :(

Still, awesome though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Macrame_God posted:

Aww, the website doesn't have La Haine. :(

Still, awesome though.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/La-haine/Vincent-Cassel/e/715515023023/?itm=14

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just called customer service and was told that the reason the sale is already effective online is because any orders placed now won't be processed until tomorrow anyway. So order now if you're impatient, or wait until tomorrow to get an extra $5 off per title.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Well son of a bitch. I wonder why it didn't show up when I searched for it. :confused:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm really hoping I can convince whoever's working to let me do multiple transactions so I can use the coupon a bunch. The closest Barnes and Noble is really far away from me, and I'd probably blow enough gas to not make using the coupon worth it if I have to make a lot of trips.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Got Ran, Contempt and Nights of Cabaria for $65. Not bad considering they're now OOP. By comparsion, the cheapest used Straw Dogs version (which I have) on Amazon is $27

As a result, they are my first Kurosawa, Godard and Fellini films I've bought. Are those are good films for those directors considering I've seen little else from them?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

NYIslander posted:

Got Ran, Contempt and Nights of Cabaria for $65. Not bad considering they're now OOP. By comparsion, the cheapest used Straw Dogs version (which I have) on Amazon is $27

As a result, they are my first Kurosawa, Godard and Fellini films I've bought. Are those are good films for those directors considering I've seen little else from them?

Ran is the best of Kurosawa's color films (IMHO of course). I don't think much of Contempt but I'm not a Godard fan to begin with. Nights of Cabiria is my favorite Fellini.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Ran is the best of Kurosawa's color films (IMHO of course).

I love Ran. Outside of Seven Samurai it's my favorite Kurosawa. I love it that much.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
This is kind of a dumb question, but I'm probably gunna blind buy some Ozu, as I tried to watch Tokyo Story via netflix but the disc was too hosed up and I only got 20 mins in. I found it to be pretty interesting as I've never really delved into his filmography at all.

That said, what are good places to start?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

This is kind of a dumb question, but I'm probably gunna blind buy some Ozu, as I tried to watch Tokyo Story via netflix but the disc was too hosed up and I only got 20 mins in. I found it to be pretty interesting as I've never really delved into his filmography at all.

The Late Ozu Eclipse set is good, and I really like An Autumn Afternoon and Tokyo Story, actually I just like Ozu in general. All his films that I've seen are very similar in style, so I don't know that there's really a bad place to start, especially from what Criterion has released.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Question, did you get to finish Tokyo Story? I love it. It's one of my all-time favorite films. It's essentially the ultimate drama. It's the only Ozu I know though. Still, if you haven't seen it all the way through, you owe it to yourself to get it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Late Ozu Eclipse set is good, and I really like An Autumn Afternoon and Tokyo Story, actually I just like Ozu in general. All his films that I've seen are very similar in style, so I don't know that there's really a bad place to start, especially from what Criterion has released.

Good Morning is a bad place to start. Other than that, pretty much any of the Criterion releases will do.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress me, the Rialto collection comes out to about $60 after discounts. This sale is going to break me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Went ahead and got Nights of Cabiria before it goes dry. I think everything else will be gifts since I'm trying to stick to Blu for the most part.

I'm divided on snatching Ran, though. I've only seen three Kurosawa films: Rashomon (A+), Seven Samurai (A+), and The Hidden Fortress (blah). Is that enough of a track record making it worth it, even if just for resell?

also:

DVD Beaver has a review for the UK Contempt Blu:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/contempt.htm

Not exactly Pierrot le Fou level, but it does look quite good.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 10, 2009

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Ukigusa/Floating Weeds (1959) is probably my favourite Ozu. I can't give you any particularly firm reasons for this; most of Ozu's films are pretty similar in terms of theme, narrative structure, and visual style. Floating Weeds may have been the first of his colour films that I saw; one of the things that I remember about it is the unostentatious but striking use of colour. Maybe that was enough to make it stand out for me.

In any case, I guess if I was teaching Ozu I'd start with some of his silents, hit on a couple of major postwar films, and then sum up with a couple of this late-career colour films. The major thing you'd notice is that he starts out being really spare with the camera movement---zoom, pans, dollying, and so forth---and ends up giving them up altogether. The other thing you'd notice is how similar his films are, by and large, apart from this.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm divided on snatching Ran, though. I've only seen three Kurosawa films: Rashomon (A+), Seven Samurai (A+), and The Hidden Fortress (blah). Is that enough of a track record making it worth it, even if just for resell?

I had only seen Rashomon (A+) when I picked it up and I absolutely love it. I definitely think it stands as one of Criterion's better values. The film is nothing short of a masterpiece with solid extras, a great transfer (holds up surprisingly well upscaled), good booklet, etc... It's definitely a very complete package and one I think a guy like you will get a lot out of. I'd also be curious to hear your thoughts on the film after you watch it. The only reason I see not to buy it is if there was hope of the blu-ray coming out soon. I don't think we have any real idea on if that will happen or not though, and at these prices you'll probably be able to resell without loosing anything.

I'm in the same boat with Nights of Cabiria. I've loved 8 1/2 for as long as I've been into film, I just somehow haven't gotten around to checking out the rest of his stuff yet.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

doctor thodt posted:

gently caress me, the Rialto collection comes out to about $60 after discounts. This sale is going to break me.

I got that last go-round and it was the best decision I made. The lack of extras is such a good trade for 10 movies for the price of one and a half retail.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

OK, ordered. Also decided not to be a douchebag and order 10 copies of The Third Man.

Although, I am tempted to do it just so I can resell at a fair price to one-up the jerks asking for $50.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

OK, ordered. Also decided not to be a douchebag and order 10 copies of The Third Man.

Although, I am tempted to do it just so I can resell at a fair price to one-up the jerks asking for $50.

If you don't like Ran I'll buy it from you and give it to a friend or something. I'm also torn on The Third Man; I've got the two disc dvd but can't decide if it's worth it to upgrade to the bd during this sale while I can.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Criterions tend to hold their value, which is worth keeping in mind for anyone on the fence about blind-buying.

(I could have sworn someone already wrote this, and I was going to quote it, but then I couldn't find it.)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

zeroordie posted:

If you don't like Ran I'll buy it from you and give it to a friend or something. I'm also torn on The Third Man; I've got the two disc dvd but can't decide if it's worth it to upgrade to the bd during this sale while I can.

Might as well. You'll never know when it'll appear on BRD again and in this quality.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Criterions tend to hold their value, which is worth keeping in mind for anyone on the fence about blind-buying.

Tell that to everyone who spent $200 on eBay for their lovely first edition of Salo. :v:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
I'm disappointed that Gimme Shelter won't be in this sale, I really want that on blu-ray. And speaking of the Stones I'd really like to see Cocksucker Blues done by Criterion even thought the Stones would never allow it to be released. Oh well, Wings of Desire is good enough for me this time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Might as well. You'll never know when it'll appear on BRD again and in this quality.

Tell that to everyone who spent $200 on eBay for their lovely first edition of Salo. :v:

I think the only single movie I'd pay $200 for would be a Criterion edition of Napoleon. Even then, I'd wait until a sale to cut it down to only $150.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow that is really surprising to me that Ran is out of print. I would not hesitate to pick it up, it is an incredible and beautiful epic film.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Since I'm saving up for the Kurosawa box, I'm leaving this sale to the whims of my mom and grandma as Christmas presents. :ohdear:

(Don't think me greedy for this. Our family always tells each other what to get for Xmas.)

flying afro
May 21, 2003

I don't have (any) money to spend, really, but this sale is too good an opportunity to pass up, so I decided to get 8 1/2 and blind buy Jules et Jim since I watched 400 Blows and really enjoyed it. I've just recently (a few months ago) started getting into film, and so I feel like I'd be wasting this opportunity by just buying two movies, one of which I've already seen. Can anyone recommend a movie that they really love that tends to get overlooked? I know that's a pretty broad request, but basically I want to get something I've never heard of before or whose style I am completely unfamiliar with in order to broaden my horizons. As a reference, some of the last few movies I've seen (and this spans a couple months since I haven't been able to watch anything in seemingly forever) are Ikiru, Le Cercle Rouge, and The Seventh Seal, with a Fellini film (I Vitelloni) and Tokyo Story in queue.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just returned from B&N and can confirm that all in-stock titles are 50% off.

Picked up The Complete Monterey Pop for $26.50 and Howards End / The Third Man on Blu for $13 each. Heading back in a few hours for more :sigh:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

flying afro posted:

I don't have (any) money to spend, really, but this sale is too good an opportunity to pass up, so I decided to get 8 1/2 and blind buy Jules et Jim since I watched 400 Blows and really enjoyed it. I've just recently (a few months ago) started getting into film, and so I feel like I'd be wasting this opportunity by just buying two movies, one of which I've already seen. Can anyone recommend a movie that they really love that tends to get overlooked? I know that's a pretty broad request, but basically I want to get something I've never heard of before or whose style I am completely unfamiliar with in order to broaden my horizons. As a reference, some of the last few movies I've seen (and this spans a couple months since I haven't been able to watch anything in seemingly forever) are Ikiru, Le Cercle Rouge, and The Seventh Seal, with a Fellini film (I Vitelloni) and Tokyo Story in queue.

An Angel at My Table and I Fidanzati are two of my favorite "overlooked" Criterions.

doctor thodt posted:

Just returned from B&N and can confirm that all in-stock titles are 50% off.

Picked up The Complete Monterey Pop for $26.50 and Howards End / The Third Man on Blu for $13 each. Heading back in a few hours for more :sigh:

Why didn't you just get more the first time? Did you have to pick up more money from your hos? Is doctor thodt gonna have to choke a bitch?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I probably could have, but I didn't want to feel like a complete dick.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
He keeps using multiple copies of the same coupon so he probably wore out his goodwill with that employee.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

He keeps using multiple copies of the same coupon so he probably wore out his goodwill with that employee.

I've found that they really just don't care. I've used that coupon dozens of times in the 2+ years I've been a B&N member.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

doctor thodt posted:

I've found that they really just don't care. I've used that coupon dozens of times in the 2+ years I've been a B&N member.

What coupon is this? I just ordered The Third Man off of their website and looked around for a coupon to use, but couldn't find one.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's an in-store-only coupon good for $5 off any DVD/Blu-Ray. It drops the price of any title with an SRP of $30 down to $8.50, and any title with an SRP of $40 down to $13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

An Angel at My Table and I Fidanzati are two of my favorite "overlooked" Criterions.

I was gonna mention I Fidanzati too. I love that movie. I really need to get around to seeing more Olmi, I have The Tree of Wooden Clogs sitting around. May as well use this opportunity to pimp The Leopard even more. That one hitting blu-ray will force me to make the switch to HD if I still haven't by that point.