Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
I'm using Zebra2 to make bass lines, but every so often, and seemingly randomly, it will go nuts and start playing things transposed up or down a few steps. Or it will play the first two notes right and then all of a sudden play a low note very high.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's a bug and I'm going to get rid of it, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Buy it instead of pirating it, Urs is infamous for hiding all sorts of goofy behavior that activates in pirated copies.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

breaks posted:

Buy it instead of pirating it, Urs is infamous for hiding all sorts of goofy behavior that activates in pirated copies.

Ha, I figured it out. This is a known behavior when running in demo mode, which sorta makes since since I haven't used it since upgrading to Snow Leopard. I have a legit license for it though, so I'll email Urs and see what he says.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 8, 2014

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005
I know applying a filter to a sound changes the sound's phase, but why is the sound's volume increasing? My resonance is set to not boost any frequencies at the cutoff, so I don't understand...

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Do you mean the actual volume as seen on a VU meter or the volume as you perceive it? As you remove frequency content it may allow the remaining stuff to cut through your mix better, increasing the perceived volume.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

rustyw posted:

I know applying a filter to a sound changes the sound's phase, but why is the sound's volume increasing? My resonance is set to not boost any frequencies at the cutoff, so I don't understand...

I found that the Auto Filter boosts levels for some reason. It kind of sucks, so I use a utility to trim the level pre-auto filter a lot to compensate for it.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

rustyw posted:

I know applying a filter to a sound changes the sound's phase

Are you sure about that? I think you have phase mixed up with something else.

the wizards beard posted:

Do you mean the actual volume as seen on a VU meter or the volume as you perceive it? As you remove frequency content it may allow the remaining stuff to cut through your mix better, increasing the perceived volume.

Especially if there's a compressor after the filter or something. As you say, when you filter most of the harmonics out you end up with something like a sine wave- quite harsh-sounding.

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

the wizards beard posted:

Yes, the signal going into the mixer was hitting at 0 dB before I applied the filter. When I applied the filter I was clipping.

"Computer Jones posted:

Are you sure about that? I think you have phase mixed up with something else.

Yup. Check it: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug99/articles/synthsecrets.htm

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Wow, I had no idea. Sorry :)

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007
For that just-brushed feeling
Does anyone know anything in the vein of tutorials that would help me make my MIDI basslines sound more punchy?

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

Grease Faucet posted:

Does anyone know anything in the vein of tutorials that would help me make my MIDI basslines sound more punchy?

Wait do you need help with programming the MIDI notes, or programming the synth that plays the bass notes?

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007

rustyw posted:

Wait do you need help with programming the MIDI notes, or programming the synth that plays the bass notes?

The synth itself, I think. The instruments I'm using have a generally nice but they don't sound nearly deep and bass-y enough.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Grease Faucet posted:

The synth itself, I think. The instruments I'm using

Which ones? What are you putting on them in terms of EQ/compression?

An easy trick is to layer a triangle waveform one octave below the original bassline.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Is anyone in here experienced with Max? I'm considering programming my senior project for my math major next semester in it but I'm just getting started with the tutorials and it would be nice to talk to someone with some experience. Reply in-thread or hit me up at dopo28 at gmail dotcom.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Dopo posted:

Is anyone in here experienced with Max? I'm considering programming my senior project for my math major next semester in it but I'm just getting started with the tutorials and it would be nice to talk to someone with some experience. Reply in-thread or hit me up at dopo28 at gmail dotcom.

if you havnt bought it yet, look into puredata cause its free. other than that good luck because that poo poo is intense.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Dopo posted:

I took a course at BU that used it quite a lot, it's really not all that hard if you have any programming experience and/or are willing to put a little bit of time into learning. What do you need to know?

And out of curiosity, what's your project? I'm double-majoring in math as well, so feel free to use whatever terminology you see fit.

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Which ones? What are you putting on them in terms of EQ/compression?

Most of the synths I use are either loaded in Simpler or Tension. I only really know how to use the EQ as far as boosting the lower frequencies and I'm not really sure how to use compression other than sidechaining my drum loops. This, though

quote:

An easy trick is to layer a triangle waveform one octave below the original bassline.

is kind of in the neighborhood I'm looking for. I hear about waveforms in some of the tutorials I've seen and and advice given around here but I have no idea what they do exactly or how to implement them.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

penneydude posted:

I took a course at BU that used it quite a lot, it's really not all that hard if you have any programming experience and/or are willing to put a little bit of time into learning. What do you need to know?

And out of curiosity, what's your project? I'm double-majoring in math as well, so feel free to use whatever terminology you see fit.

I'm not quite sure what the project will be yet. The best idea I've had so far is some kind of parametric EQ. I'm assuming Max has objects that more or less do the Fourier transform for you so I don't know if "lots of polynomials" is substantial enough mathematical content for the project. I have to give a 50 minute talk in the spring and hand in a paper along with it so right now I'm just trying to figure out what I can do that will impress the math department as well as a prospective employer in the music software industry. Any suggestions?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Grease Faucet posted:

I hear about waveforms in some of the tutorials I've seen and and advice given around here but I have no idea what they do exactly or how to implement them.

A waveform is a sound wave. Its the squiggle you see on the bottom of the screen in Live. Additive synthesis involves synthesizing a sound by combining (adding) very simple sound waves.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

Grease Faucet posted:

http://bit.ly/w1Bl8

is a great vid. an hour long. he's done another 9 which costs $10 to access. I've got them all and they've taught me, so far (i've only watched 2) loads. and i'm getting more ideas and more 'electronic' in my compositional thinking.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Lewk posted:

is a great vid. an hour long. he's done another 9 which costs $10 to access. I've got them all and they've taught me, so far (i've only watched 2) loads. and i'm getting more ideas and more 'electronic' in my compositional thinking.

He has tons of free videos on vimeo too

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Grease Faucet posted:

but I have no idea what they do exactly or how to implement them.

Have you read this?

There are some rules of thumb when it comes to recreating realistic instruments - e.g. use saw for brass and strings, use square for clarinet and harp, but the concept behind using a triangle wave an octave lower is that it adds oomph without getting in the way of the original sound. When you transpose a saw or square down you'll get this "ripping" sound which is caused by the fact that the speaker cone has to jump back in a really short timeframe; the "clicks" saws and squares make distract. Triangle waves have a few more harmonics which make the sound blend in more with the rest.

Also, use Analog for this, though Operator can do triangle waveforms, too - just layer Sampler and/or Tension with Analog and Operator; it's what they've invented Instrument Racks for :).

Grease Faucet
Feb 24, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Have you read this?

I had not. Working my way through the tutorial right now.

Thanks for your help everybody :D

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just upgraded to Live 8 and for some reason now I can't get my Roland SH-201 to work. I'm trying to get the audio in via USB which is how I did it in LIve 6. I've got the "audio input device" pref. set to the synth, but it still doesn't show up in the "audio from" menu of the audio tracks. I've even tried using the external MIDI and external audio effect units to make it work, but I can't figure it out. I remembered this being really simple in Live 6, does anyone know what I have to do?

e: okay, I just rebooted and now I can get the synth audio through "ext. in" on the audio from menu... but I'm almost positive there used to be a separate Sh-201 option in that menu... I guess this works fine, but if anyone happens to know anything about this setup, I'd appreciate some clarity.

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 11, 2009

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Lewk posted:

Whoah, this is loads better than those tutorial DVDs I bought a few years ago. He's really good. I'm strongly tempted to shell out the $10 now.

Thanks for this link.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lewk posted:

Man that guy is thorough.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Mandals posted:

Whoah, this is loads better than those tutorial DVDs I bought a few years ago. He's really good. I'm strongly tempted to shell out the $10 now.

Thanks for this link.

Do it. It's a dollar a video. I found it really worthwhile.

prom candy posted:

Man that guy is thorough.

I know! Thing Is, i know all the theory of synths, etc. Like I said earlier, i've got a degree in all that stuff. But i've never really been able to put it all together musically. Suddenly this guy seems to have made it somewhat clearer. An excellent 10 dollar I dropped.

I'd just like to chip in here that Ableton Live is bloody awesome. Earlier, I jokingly suggested to a friend I could turn The Kinks' 'Village Green' into hip hop. He laughed and challenged me. So here I am, trying to turn 60s very english beat rock into some sort of cheesy ghetto and suceeding in like an hour. Unbelievable!!!

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

Lewk posted:

I'd just like to chip in here that Ableton Live is bloody awesome. Earlier, I jokingly suggested to a friend I could turn The Kinks' 'Village Green' into hip hop. He laughed and challenged me. So here I am, trying to turn 60s very english beat rock into some sort of cheesy ghetto and suceeding in like an hour. Unbelievable!!!

I tried just puttin an amen break on top of that first 2 bars of the album but it's kind of out of time and warping it made it sound like poo poo (surprise surprise)... godspeed

Lewk
May 22, 2001

rustyw posted:

I tried just puttin an amen break on top of that first 2 bars of the album but it's kind of out of time and warping it made it sound like poo poo (surprise surprise)... godspeed

Warping worked fine or me, in complex pro and doing my own markers. It's only a joke, but somehow it's ruddy working. Music makes me smile so much.

On a more serious note, in those videos I linked earlier he uses the arrange window to do all his jiggery pokery. If you put automation lanes in the arrange, is there a way to convert this to clip automation? If I consolidate and paste to a clip it doesn't bring across the automation from arrange. This would be really handy.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
If I have a warped song, how do I get it into another set with the same warp markers ?(the new set is the same tempo)

Similar question for entire sets. How do I merge them together, say if I have two separate sessions and want to mix them together?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lewk posted:

You must post this when you're done.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Lewk posted:

Do it. It's a dollar a video. I found it really worthwhile.

I'm going to, but I'm going to ask him if he has other methods available besides Paypal since Paypal gives me a headache. I may just pop for the DVDs even though I don't really need them because I'm down with lending support to worthwhile causes.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

k0konutz posted:

If I have a warped song, how do I get it into another set with the same warp markers ?(the new set is the same tempo)

Similar question for entire sets. How do I merge them together, say if I have two separate sessions and want to mix them together?

You can literally C&P clips between sets, but it's wonky and may not work as advertised.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

prom candy posted:

You must post this when you're done.

Well, ok! bearing in mind I know very little about hip hop, and might be inclined to do a toff rap over the top of it. If you think you can hack it...

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

Lewk posted:

On a more serious note, in those videos I linked earlier he uses the arrange window to do all his jiggery pokery. If you put automation lanes in the arrange, is there a way to convert this to clip automation? If I consolidate and paste to a clip it doesn't bring across the automation from arrange. This would be really handy.

That's a good idea... maybe instead of using automation (which is just a pain in the rear end if you wanna make big changes a lot) I should just do all my automation on a clip-by-clip basis.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

rustyw posted:

That's a good idea... maybe instead of using automation (which is just a pain in the rear end if you wanna make big changes a lot) I should just do all my automation on a clip-by-clip basis.

Up until those videos i've been using Live in scene view, because I didn't really see the point in using arrange cos I got live to be different from usual sequencer layout. I can see the advantages now though. Except i'd love to work on something as he does then whack it all into the scene view. Have you tried dummy clips yet? They are awesome mechanisms for doing stuff like filter sweeps across stems. Clip automation is great.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I am just learning Ableton now, and I am having trouble setting up a vocoder to work the way I want it.

I want to be able to sing in to my mic, and play chords on my keyboard (yamaha p-85) and have it come out like Imogen Heap. I have followed the tutorials I have found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JceAL1biSBo (2:14 in) and it works, but I want to be able to do this on the fly. I don't want to use pre-made wavs and midi.

I am sure it is something simple that I need to change to get this to work, but I am clueless.

I am using the TAL vocoder like in the video.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Brekelefuw posted:

I am just learning Ableton now, and I am having trouble setting up a vocoder to work the way I want it.

I want to be able to sing in to my mic, and play chords on my keyboard (yamaha p-85) and have it come out like Imogen Heap. I have followed the tutorials I have found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JceAL1biSBo (2:14 in) and it works, but I want to be able to do this on the fly. I don't want to use pre-made wavs and midi.

I am sure it is something simple that I need to change to get this to work, but I am clueless.

I am using the TAL vocoder like in the video.

You need to have a carrier signal (often a software synth) routing its audio into the vocoder. You also need to have an audio track that your microphone is routed to, which is routing into the vocoder. As you've noticed from the video, you do that by panning one hard left and one hard right. Then you need to arm both these at the same time (ctrl-click the arm button to arm more than one track at a time, this is probably the important step you're missing). Now you just need to play synth (via your midi controller usually) and talk into mic at the same time.

Live 8 actually has a half decent built in vocoder which is a bit easier to setup - none of that panning crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 8, 2014