Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I said no rollups!!

Technically not a roll up. Just a reversal of the triangle choke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Technically not a roll up. Just a reversal of the triangle choke.

It's a fruity roll up.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

It's a fruity roll up.

You set up your own joke. No putting in your own rebounds.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tato posted:

I think it's so weird that the monday night wars were raging so hot that both promotions opened loving restaurants. Did anyone on this board ever get the chance to eat at WWF New York or the WCW Nitro Grill? I'm interested to hear about it, because most of the reviews I've found were really funny in how bad the service was at both joints.

The pictures of the WCW Grill on this page make it look one notch below a Chuck E Cheese. Alas, I'll never get the chance to order a "'Wooooo!,' a frozen fruity Absolut Vodka drink."
http://www.24wrestling.com/index.php?id=extras/531

I went to WWF New York a bunch when I was a kid. I'd probably consider the food to be subpar now, but I liked it a lot, particularly The People's Sundae, which was a sundae on top of a giant, warm chocolate chip cookie. They really didn't have that much memorabilia. The restaurant was downstairs and the upper level was a huge store. There was an arcade thing with the Royal Rumble game that was out on Dreamcast around then, and lots of chain link fence.

Oh actually now I remember they had handprints of Andre the Giant. That was pretty cool.

Also I don't remember any bad service but I always went on weekends and never on, say, a Tuesday night.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 7, 2009

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Question: How many times has the Undertaker been defeated cleanly, not counting rollups?

1. Vladimir Kozlov, 2009
???

Khali, whenever the gently caress he made his debut.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Didnt Mark Henry get a clean win on understand and banish his soul from the wwe? Which means mark henry is strong enough to slam out an exorcism

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oasx posted:

What i was thinking was that the nosebleeding would probably have something to do with the wrestlers, and if you were close enough to see the wrestler nosebleed you were probably as close to the ring as you could be.

To be honest, I'm aware of both interpretations - for sporting events it's the really high seats, but at musical events it's down the front because that's where the mosh and the fistfights are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5onwtF4mZs.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

I went to WWF New York a bunch when I was a kid. I'd probably consider the food to be subpar now, but I liked it a lot, particularly The People's Sundae, which was a sundae on top of a giant, warm chocolate chip cookie. They really didn't have that much memorabilia. The restaurant was downstairs and the upper level was a huge store. There was an arcade thing with the Royal Rumble game that was out on Dreamcast around then, and lots of chain link fence.

Oh actually now I remember they had handprints of Andre the Giant. That was pretty cool.

Also I don't remember any bad service but I always went on weekends and never on, say, a Tuesday night.

Were you there for any ppvs? I always went for the ppvs It was amazing on ppv night.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Did anyone inside WWE ever have anything to say about the Cena/RVD match at ONS? Seems like there were some fed lines to Taz/Styles sticking up for Cena, and the obviously very rabid, and vulgar, crowd.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

spongeh posted:

Did anyone inside WWE ever have anything to say about the Cena/RVD match at ONS? Seems like there were some fed lines to Taz/Styles sticking up for Cena, and the obviously very rabid, and vulgar, crowd.

No official statements or anything, but the fact that they never really went back to the Hammerstein says it all. I think they still call it a "unique" match or a match with a "unique atmosphere," which is WWE-speak for "the crowd didn't react the way we wanted them to and we couldn't drown it out."

I do think they issued some half-hearted apology for the language of the crowd on WWE.com, but that was for an early ECW episode, not the PPV, if it happened at all.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I think they left after they tore Big Show & Batista a new one.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

HulkaMatt posted:

They went back.

They left I think after they tore Big Show & Batista a new one.

That was only like a few weeks later, though, wasn't it?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I think it was a month but I'm probably wrong.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

HulkaMatt posted:

I think it was a month but I'm probably wrong.

ONS was 6/11/06, Batista/Big Show was 8/1/06 so a little under two months.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Karmine posted:

ONS was 6/11/06, Batista/Big Show was 8/1/06 so a little under two months.

That night was better for CM Punk.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

spongeh posted:

They were very happy with it. Everyone knew going in that RVD would be mega-over and Cena would be a giant heel and poo poo on by the crowd. Hell, Cena himself says he was going into it as a heel. They figured the fan reactions at ONS were evidence bringing back the ECW name would be a huge success.

Free Market Gravy posted:

No official statements or anything, but the fact that they never really went back to the Hammerstein says it all.

It says nothing. As previously stated they went back again. The reason they stopped running Hammerstein for ECW was because they rolled the ECW tour into Smackdown because of poor ticket sales.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
ECW was never going to succeed but it's amazing how they pretty much set it up to fail immediately.

Although really after the Invasion you can never say that about any WWE venture.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Captain Charisma posted:

ECW was never going to succeed but it's amazing how they pretty much set it up to fail immediately.

You don't say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEwz4DCnLM

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Captain Charisma posted:

I don't know if you're being facetious or not, but in all seriousness, I did read rumors on the internet that the WWE was purposely booking crappy ECW shows in the beginning to justify switching it to the more traditional WWE style it uses now.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I maintain that some of the best sellers of the RKO are the divas.

Though Randy Orton: Diva Killer probably wouldn't fit with the PG rating.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Writer Cath posted:

I maintain that some of the best sellers of the RKO are the divas.

Though Randy Orton: Diva Killer probably wouldn't fit with the PG rating.

Well yeah but neither does Triple H's Weekly Gay Joke.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Karmine posted:

Well yeah but neither does Triple H's Weekly Gay Joke.

Oh come on, that's not fair. Sometimes it's a racist joke.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh come on, that's not fair. Sometimes it's a racist joke.

Did Orton's promo during the VIP Lounge remind anyone of Triple H's promos during his WrestleMania feud with Booker T?

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

TL posted:

Did Orton's promo during the VIP Lounge remind anyone of Triple H's promos during his WrestleMania feud with Booker T?

Yep. I just hope that if they're going with the same build, they tweak the payoff a bit this time around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TL posted:

Orton's promo was far more blatant than Triple H ever got with Booker T.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
No, Orton said "Hood".

Whereas Triple H said "What people like you are for are making me laugh. Come on, do a jig! Do your little spin-a-roonie!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Orton walked into the VIP lounge and told three black guys that they were nothing more than criminals, and that him and his two white privileged "from blood" buddies were the ones who really "belonged", then told the three black guys to "go back to your "hoods"".

Triple H told a black character noted for his comedic touches that his job on the show was to make people laugh and "do spinaroonies" to make people happy.

They both had racial undertones but Orton's was far more blatant in my opinion, and intended to be more malicious than Triple H's mocking "not taking my opponent seriously" tone during his feud with Booker.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Orton walked into the VIP lounge and told three black guys that they were nothing more than criminals, and that him and his two white privileged "from blood" buddies were the ones who really "belonged", then told the three black guys to "go back to your "hoods"".

Triple H told a black character noted for his comedic touches that his job on the show was to make people laugh and "do spinaroonies" to make people happy.

They both had racial undertones but Orton's was far more blatant in my opinion, and intended to be more malicious than Triple H's mocking "not taking my opponent seriously" tone during his feud with Booker.

you're forgetting that mvp did time and thats what the criminal remark was in reference to, right? and the "privileged by blood" might have something to do with all of their fathers being big wrestling superstars in the past and them getting shortcuts through the business that way. I feel the Triple H one was far worse in how demeaning it was.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

dusty udder smoker posted:

you're forgetting that mvp did time and thats what the criminal remark was in reference to, right? and the "privileged by blood" might have something to do with all of their fathers being big wrestling superstars in the past and them getting shortcuts through the business that way. I feel the Triple H one was far worse in how demeaning it was.
I haven't seen the Orton promo yet (Raw airs here in a few hours) but it would have to be pretty bad to top the Triple H promos leading up to WM19. Fucker said "people like you" so many times I was shocked WWE got away with it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

I haven't seen the Orton promo yet (Raw airs here in a few hours) but it would have to be pretty bad to top the Triple H promos leading up to WM19. Fucker said "people like you" so many times I was shocked WWE got away with it.

and then he won.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Didn't swagger use the same criminal thing in his fued with MVP?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
Don't worry, Orton's going to win this feud with Kofi too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Didn't swagger use the same criminal thing in his fued with MVP?

yeah but like i said earlier, mvp actually was a criminal who served time so it played into his character

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Has Triple H ever had short hair? Or has he always gone with it shoulder length?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

AlbertFlasher posted:

Has Triple H ever had short hair? Or has he always gone with it shoulder length?

He's had it a little shorter than that, but it makes his nose look enormous.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

yeah but like i said earlier, mvp actually was a criminal who served time so it played into his character

He referred to the other two as criminals as well (well, Kofi at least, I'd have to check again on Mark) and really the whole vibe came across as maliciously entitled to me (even beyond the normal Legacy sense of entitlement), as opposed to the almost casual "lol racism" feel I got from Triple H/Booker T.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

He referred to the other two as criminals as well (well, Kofi at least, I'd have to check again on Mark) and really the whole vibe came across as maliciously entitled to me (even beyond the normal Legacy sense of entitlement), as opposed to the almost casual "lol racism" feel I got from Triple H/Booker T.

Well technically Kofi vandalized his car. He is a criminal now in real life rules.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

and mark henry is so strong it should be illegal

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Mark Henry is a sexual deviant.

e: And deadbeat dad. He didn't bring that hand to work with him once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Meat Recital posted:

Mark Henry is a sexual deviant.

e: And deadbeat dad. He didn't bring that hand to work with him once!

That hand was too busy hanging out at the top of the stage on Smackdown.