Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

nyratk1 posted:

That hand was too busy hanging out at the top of the stage on Smackdown.

They grow up so fast. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

How many times did the World Heavyweight Championship change hands during Cena's WWE Championship reign of doom?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

How many times did the World Heavyweight Championship change hands during Cena's WWE Championship reign of doom?

4 times.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What's the deal with Cena fart juice and hogan's meat shoes?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

This video does not contain fart juice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzAwblN_qbg

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hogan's Meat Shoes was a ridiculous post in GBS about a guy thinking Hogan sponsored shoe's that had little compartment in them that you could store pieces of meat in and when you walked the sweat and warmth from your feet would warm them up.

Fart Juice is a word Cena used in a promo once.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

This video does not contain fart juice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzAwblN_qbg

I miss ditzy Maria.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

Hogan's Meat Shoes was a ridiculous post in GBS about a guy thinking Hogan sponsored shoe's that had little compartment in them that you could store pieces of meat in and when you walked the sweat and warmth from your feet would warm them up.

It was the funniest loving thread I think I've ever read.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Happyist posted:

I miss ditzy Maria.

She was a lot more entertaining than Rawr Independent Generic Face Maria.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

KungFu Grip posted:

Is there actually any video of this?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Man, remember when the Boogeyman used to smash clocks on his head?

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
How could anyone forget The Boogeyman

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
NO BOOGEY NO

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Graic posted:

How could anyone forget The Boogeyman
I will never forget the Boogeyman. :patriot:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Meat Recital posted:

Is there actually any video of this?

Evidence points to the June 27th (or is it 24th? I think 27th) edition of RAW in 2006. But I can't find a video. I shall continue looking.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Man, remember when the Boogeyman used to smash clocks on his head?

What about Little Boogey? That match they had against Finley & Hornswoggle sure was something.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Evidence points to the June 27th (or is it 24th? I think 27th) edition of RAW in 2006. But I can't find a video. I shall continue looking.

I believe this is it. Starts around 28:10. The preceding segment with Edge is pretty good too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Meat Recital posted:

I believe this is it. Starts around 28:10. The preceding segment with Edge is pretty good too.

YESSSS.

It's in that at 29:07.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Cena, for serious and no bullshit, asked Edge why anybody would by his t-shirts, considering they were covered with fart juice.

How is this worse than Mean Gene telling WCW fans that their cologne stank, exactly?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
This question is very general by design, as it has a wide array of answers and open discussion:

Besides WM 3 (including Hogan slamming Andre), what are some of the most important matches/storylines/promos/wrestlers/events/promotions/etc to come out of the 1980's?

My entire history on that time period is hazy at best. I was born in '87, so a lot of stuff happened before my time. I am familiar with quite a few wrestlers and goings on from back then, but...imagine that I'm not. :v:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LividLiquid posted:

Cena, for serious and no bullshit, asked Edge why anybody would by his t-shirts, considering they were covered with fart juice.

How is this worse than Mean Gene telling WCW fans that their cologne stank, exactly?

I don't understand your question

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KungFu Grip posted:

Holy poo poo, I wish I had a archives account

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's in the goldmine

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2652331

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

The A-Team Van posted:

This question is very general by design, as it has a wide array of answers and open discussion:

Besides WM 3 (including Hogan slamming Andre), what are some of the most important matches/storylines/promos/wrestlers/events/promotions/etc to come out of the 1980's?

My entire history on that time period is hazy at best. I was born in '87, so a lot of stuff happened before my time. I am familiar with quite a few wrestlers and goings on from back then, but...imagine that I'm not. :v:
The birth of Hulkamania:
[Hogan vs Iron Sheik, MSG Jan 1984
Hogan vs Piper, MTV's War To Settle The Score
Hulk Hogan & Mr T vs Paul Orndorff & Bob Orton Jr, Wrestlemania I
There's also Flair vs Steamboat, Snuka vs Muraco, Hogan vs Orndorff, Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs, Hogan vs Savage, Tiger Mask vs Dynamite Kid, Piper vs Valentine, Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard, Rock n Roll Express vs Midnight Express, Sting vs Flair, Flair vs Funk and so much more...

Dragging Iron Feet fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 11, 2009

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Nobody has ever in the entire history of the forums as far as I can remember ever, e-e-EVVVVVVAH claimed that Cena saying fart juice was anything other than terrible. So it's exactly the same as Mean Gene telling WCW fans that their cologne stank.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FishBulb posted:

I don't understand your question
The comparison was retarded and best forgotten. I was confusing an argument from a different board with this one. I'm just saying telling the audience that you wiped your rear end with another dude's T-shirts is bound to have some kind of hit on sales from children.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LividLiquid posted:

The comparison was retarded and best forgotten. I was confusing an argument from a different board with this one. I'm just saying telling the audience that you wiped your rear end with another dude's T-shirts is bound to have some kind of hit on sales from children.

Well, I dunno I imagine kids that buy Edge merchandise either don't exist or hate John Cena anyways.

But both statements were pretty dumb yeah.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Speaking of Edge has there been any updates to his condition? Has he begun rehab yet?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of Edge has there been any updates to his condition? Has he begun rehab yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awXXewVSs4g

Seems like he's getting there!

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Wait. This whole time we've been hating on Cena's promos because he said "fart juice" in passing during a promo in 2006 when he wasn't even champion?

I hate SA so much sometimes. :ughh:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CM Junk posted:

Wait. This whole time we've been hating on Cena's promos because he said "fart juice" in passing during a promo in 2006 when he wasn't even champion?

I dunno, personally DA CHAMP IS HURR RRRRAPADOOOO FART JUICE makes me laugh every time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CM Junk posted:

Wait. This whole time we've been hating on Cena's promos because

No we haven't.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CM Junk posted:

SA is poopy :colbert:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CM Junk posted:

No we use it as one of the go to jokes about him having bad promo skills or having really lame promos.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CM Junk posted:

OK how about the other 110 lovely promos he's given that have made fans throughout the U.S. hate him (literally the exact opposite of their intention and what a super babyface is supposed to do)?

A lot of stuff about Cena is up for debate, but what's practically inarguable is that his promos are terrible. WWE/John Cena's idea of building heat is to put over his opponent, no matter how despicable they are, and talk about what a classic match they had, and can they do another just to please the WWE Universe, which John Cena loves unconditionally and it drives him and pander pander pander. Or if he can't muster up that, he gives a "funny" promo for six-year olds that makes a Triple H face promo seem intellectual.

As a result, virtually any heel that Cena faces, no matter how rotten they are written to be, becomes cooler, and the audience knows it. Randy Orton severely injures people and brutally attacks their families to keep them out of his way. He's also a blatant coward, and he abuses Cody and Ted (the latter of whom got a face pop just for standing in the same ring with Orton a few weeks ago).

At Hell in a Cell, despite the fact that Orton had spent the last two PPVs alternatively ducking Cena and attempting to torture him to death, Cena was practically booed out of the building.

That is the power of John Cena's shittiness. Paired off against Cena, cowardly heels become the cool badasses, because in comparison they do awesome things whenever they want and take poo poo from nobody. Meanwhile, the next night, Cena congratulates them for a job well done. :hurr: This is why, as popular as Cena is, he will never put WWE over the top like Austin or the Rock did. He's a loving dork who is booked for eight year olds.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How do you guys organise your video/disc collections? By year? Event? Wrestler? Promotion?

So far I've been going by Promotion/Event for WWE/ECW/WCW and Promotion/Date for ROH/Chikara/etc. - but I think I might switch to a flat Date organisation for easier cross-referencing particularly in the 90's. It seems counterinuitive but aside from a few technical masterpieces I think that the context is just as important as the actual match/event. It would make searching for a particular event slightly more difficult though - Was Wrestlemania VII in 1992 or 1991? - that kind of thing.

This is by definition a very petty question, but this is the thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 12, 2009

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Jagtpanther posted:

How do you guys organise your video/disc collections? By year? Event? Wrestler? Promotion?

So far I've been going by Promotion/Event for WWE/ECW/WCW and Promotion/Date for ROH/Chikara/etc. - but I think I might switch to a flat Date organisation for easier cross-referencing particularly in the 90's. It seems counterinuitive but aside from a few technical masterpieces I think that the context is just as important as the actual match/event. It would make searching for a particular event slightly more difficult though - Was Wrestlemania VII in 1992 or 1991? - that kind of thing.

This is by definition a very petty question, but this is the thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread.

I organize the documentaries alphabetically and by promotion (although I only really have WWE stuff in any large quantity) and the PPV/events chronologically.

I have a poo poo load of them though, so it's split between three bookcases. One has TNA/ROH/misc stuff with my TV/movie stuff, one has WWE compilations/documentaries and 2007-present PPVs and one has the rest (Divas' DVDs, UK PPVs, 1999-2006 PPVs, Attitude Collection, all the different
oversized store exclusive DVDs, and the Rumble/WM/SSlam/soon to be Survivor Series Anthologies)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Agreed, Documentaries and Shoot Interviews go separate from everything else since they tend to be on a per-wrestler basis. Essentially you organise the big-four style PPVs and compilations separately, and then rest by date?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

ARGH CENA

On paper, I can see why he would want to build up his opponents instead of dismissing them - if you, as a face, call your opponent a piece of poo poo and he beats you, you don't have anywhere else to go promo-wise. I can see your point, though, about how it's something Cena should stop doing after Orton proves time and again what a slimy heel he is.

But if you don't want WWE babyfaces to pander to the audience, you should maybe watch something else. They have always done that. Hogan did it, Austin did it, Rock did it, Human Muppet Commissioner Foley did it, etc. They may have been pandering to different audiences than the dorky kids who like Cena, but they were pandering all the same.

And I will go to my grave defending IMPERVIOUS TO BULLETS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The problem with Cena is that he is a boring rehash of all their top faces instead of being a character. I know I've said this before, but he's supposed to be as funny as the Rock, as much of a rebel as Austin, the come backingist mother Tucker on the planet, like Hogan etc. He comes across like a 6 years old idea of THE BEST WRESTLER EVER so people that aren't 6 are understandably turned off.