Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

abuimak posted:

Disclaimer: I don't know poo poo about cars

Hi I have a 2006 325i and the steering wheel is sorta hard to turn. Does the steering wheel have power steering? Is there someway I can make the car easier to turn?

Yes, it has power steering. Has the steering always been as heavy as it is now? Do you hear a whining noise from under the hood when you turn the wheel? Any wet spots on your parking space or garage floor?

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuimak
Sep 7, 2006

McMadCow posted:

Yes, it has power steering. Has the steering always been as heavy as it is now? Do you hear a whining noise from under the hood when you turn the wheel? Any wet spots on your parking space or garage floor?

Yea its always been that way, I don't hear any noises or anything like that, I'm just going to assume that car has heavy steering, but is there a way I can modify it to not be so heavy? My wife has problems with it.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
E90s have heavy steering. I've never heard of a solution.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Now I'm curious just how heavy it is. My E36 is noticeably heavier than my E30 in the steering department, but has it increased with every generation?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

abuimak posted:

...is there a way I can modify it to not be so heavy?

Add 5lbs of pressure to your front tires. Seriously.

flublandDrussiavelt
Nov 4, 2009

by Ozma

McMadCow posted:

Now I'm curious just how heavy it is. My E36 is noticeably heavier than my E30 in the steering department, but has it increased with every generation?

that's a bit wierd cause if anything, the opposite has been happening. The e46's steering was so overboosted that enough people complained and they revised it the following year and offered to change it if you brought the car in.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Has anyone here ever attempted to install BMW GT1 and/or Progman in VMware and interface with a 20pin BMW or ODBII connecter? I've been reading fairly heavily about it and might make this my next project.

So far I have determined that the hardest/cheapest/most comprehensive way to interface with my e46's computer is by emulating the GT1 hardware in VMware and using an ebay cable. (As opposed to Carsoft, or other seemingly inferior proprietary software)

I've found several great resources, such as this tutorial
http://dis.robmw.altervista.org/dis/index.htm

This forum that requires invites:
http://ecubb.bmwecu.org/board/
but has these useful articles:
http://www.bmwecu.org/article001/
http://www.bmwecu.org/article002/

and this section of bimmerforums:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=233

I haven't yet even attempted to try any of this yet, because I'm still not entirely clear about exactly what software and cables I want.
This subforum is really great for the basics http://ecubb.bmwecu.org/board/viewforum.php?f=19

I have surmised that I want to use GT1/DIS using an Inpa interface, as many have had success in this thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803202&page=8

There is apparently an archived thread from 318ti.org that got deleted because of :filez:
OBD_diagnose_with_round_20pins_-_318ti_org_forum.zip
that seemed to have some important information in it. However, I have not obtained this allusive .zip file yet :( Granted, I haven't tried really hard yet.

All of the information out there is very unorganized, and if/when I do figure this all out, I plan to make a succinct/organized repository for all information in the form of a thread or website.

Until then I should mention that the reason I'm looking into all of this is partially because it would be really cool and nerdy to be able to tweak/program anything on my e46 to my heart's desire, but mainly because I was pulling out of my driveway and the dreaded ABS/BRAKE/DSC lights all turned on (like what flublandDrussiavelt mentioned on the last page, not an unheard of BMW problem), a little bit later ALL FOUR BRAKES LOCKED UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD and would not budge, even with the ignition off, and key out of the car. To disable the brake pump, I had to disconnect the battery and have it towed, where I eventually disconnected the ABS computer in the engine bay, which finally released the brakes. This is not a perminant solution obviously, and I would like to pull some codes. I have already determined I had a funky speed sensor that I have since replaced, which did not fix the problem.

I called BMWNA, and they said I need to bring the car to a dealer and pay for them to scan the codes ($120). They have no interest in investigating this potentially dangerous symptom of ALL FOUR BRAKES LOCKING UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Someone on this forum suggested I bring it to a local Porsche shop that specializes in these sorts of failures, and they said my ABS computer is responsive, gives codes, and likely is not the culprit. From there they wanted more money to try throwing new parts at it (understandably), but weren't sure either.

I guess eventually I'll take it to the dealer and get raped, or maybe the Porsche shop again, but first I'd like to try my hand at diagnosing it myself.

SA:AI, car nerds on a computer nerd forum, someone else has got to be as interested in this as I am:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pimpsolo fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 11, 2009

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Be careful, BMW is very protective of their software. And you can't actually "program" modules using DIS, you can simply load updated software. And even that feature was removed from DIS as of 2004.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Of course, and with SA's rules, obviously there would be no sharing of isoz or anything of that sort. A discussion of BMW programming software is surely warranted though. I am aware you can't "program" modules using DIS, however I understand that you can program them with Progman, as I mentioned. Also, consider that the main feature I am interested in is the actual diagnosis side (if I didn't make that clear in the above post) and would absolutly consider the Carsoft option if it's clear that it will provide the level of services I need.

I hate how I own a car that I can't diagnose and fix myself, and will likely become obsolete some day, when there's no reason it should. For all intents and purposes it is impossible to fix my e46's problem without the dealer, or heavily equipped independent shop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that it is impossible to reset the SRS light in late model e30s becasue BMW no longer supports interfacing with a car that old, and there's no independant options available.

I hate the thought that without independent tinkerers, it will literally be impossible to keep e46s (or any modern cars, GT-Rs? etc. etc.) on the road. I want to be able to fix my own car.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Wouldn't be easier (and not terribly expensive) to just buy the BMW pack from AutoEnginuity? It looks pretty comprehensive from their list of modules they claim the ability to talk to.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Pimpsolo posted:

Of course, and with SA's rules, obviously there would be no sharing of isoz or anything of that sort. A discussion of BMW programming software is surely warranted though. I am aware you can't "program" modules using DIS, however I understand that you can program them with Progman, as I mentioned. Also, consider that the main feature I am interested in is the actual diagnosis side (if I didn't make that clear in the above post) and would absolutly consider the Carsoft option if it's clear that it will provide the level of services I need.

I hate how I own a car that I can't diagnose and fix myself, and will likely become obsolete some day, when there's no reason it should. For all intents and purposes it is impossible to fix my e46's problem without the dealer, or heavily equipped independent shop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that it is impossible to reset the SRS light in late model e30s becasue BMW no longer supports interfacing with a car that old, and there's no independant options available.

I hate the thought that without independent tinkerers, it will literally be impossible to keep e46s (or any modern cars, GT-Rs? etc. etc.) on the road. I want to be able to fix my own car.

Progman is still just a program for uploading software, not a utility to write code. And Progman is already outdated.

I agree that it's frustrating that we can't fix every problem on a car with a wrench and a machine shop anymore, but it's an inevitable side-effect of the growing complexity in car equipment.

And there's a special tool for wiping the e30 airbag light, and I'm sure there are alternative ways to clear it short of sourcing a 20 year old tool.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

Wouldn't be easier (and not terribly expensive) to just buy the BMW pack from AutoEnginuity? It looks pretty comprehensive from their list of modules they claim the ability to talk to.

Like I said, I'm still open to considering good aftermarket solutions, however I still want to know and understand the advantages and disadvantages of each. Presumably there wouldn't be a massive number of people going though the complicated process of emulating the factory BMW setup if there wasn't some clear advantage over Carsoft or AutoEnginuity.

peterjmatt posted:

Progman is still just a program for uploading software, not a utility to write code. And Progman is already outdated.
Alright then, SSS for writing code?

peterjmatt posted:

I agree that it's frustrating that we can't fix every problem on a car with a wrench and a machine shop anymore, but it's an inevitable side-effect of the growing complexity in car equipment.
Not inevitable if hobbyists maintain the ability to scan and program their self.

peterjmatt posted:

And there's a special tool for wiping the e30 airbag light, and I'm sure there are alternative ways to clear it short of sourcing a 20 year old tool.
I know the Peake tools span about 1994-2002. I don't actually have the problem, I just remember reading a thread and the resolution was to pull the bulb, because it wasn't possible to reset it in his '91 318is, which scared me enough to never pull the steering wheel. Even if this example weren't true, it's conceivable that once my e46 20+ years old, and dealers no longer support antique computers, a problem like this would render the car totaled, when mechanically it's fine. That's the main point.

You seem to have a fairly good grasp on the BMW computer tools, why are people emulating them? Just for posterity? I wouldn't rule it out, but it seems extremely functional. Am I wrong in my belief that SSS allows you to change factory settings like DRL, and HVAC settings and such? Am I mistaken in my belief that Carsoft and/or AutoEnginuity do not perform those functions?

Pimpsolo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 11, 2009

random logic
Oct 19, 2009

flublandDrussiavelt posted:

There is no manual 540 wagon in the united states, the best you can hope for in a manual is a 525it or a 528it.
The M62 v8 in the 540 is not as bad as people say, with proper, preventative maintenance, especially on the cooling system, the engine should run great for a long time; however the same maintenance does cost more to do than in the I6 engine. Personally i think the 6 cylinder has more than enough power and superior fuel economy. Also its easier to work on yourself (the cooling system in the v8 is a nightmare). But if you really want that extra power, go for it.

I'll second this. My wife drives a E39 525 and I don't regret not getting a V8. The inline six has less niggling maintenance issues. Like the stated cooling and intake hassles.

We so a lot of travelling in her car and getting 29-30mpg all day long is pretty nice.

E39 wise they are great cars and pretty bug free. I would recommend getting a pre-buy inspection done on anything you want to buy though.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Sorry, the SSS is simply the name of the computer that runs the Progman application. There are no field provisions to actually write code. I don't think you realize just how difficult that would be. I don't have any experience with Carsoft, but I've been told that it does allow car-key memory changes (personalization settings). These changes are very minor, such as turning on day time running lights or deactivating one-touch unlocking.

The basic fact is that when computers fail in the manner that your DSC unit appears to have, they need to be replaced. We can't program them back to life. Now, with more recent cars BMW is still writing new software to address known issues, and sometimes a software update is all that's needed. However we don't create that software in the field, and not every computer problem can be fixed with new code.

And the e30 airbag tool is a single-tasker, not a code reader. It looks like an old 20-pin service light reset tool. I'm sure it either powers or grounds some of the pins on the diagnostic connector, and I'm sure its functionality could be duplicated by someone with a better knowledge of how it works.

And people are emulating BMW diagnostic software and stealing diagnostic tools because buying them legitimately is prohibitively expensive, even for successful specialty shops. A GT1 use to cost a dealership about 17K to replace. I'm not sure what they charged the aftermarket, but I'm sure it was more.

BMW recently released a new diagnostic and informational system that integrates a lot of features that make it difficult to pirate or outright steal. They have been trying to make their cars difficult for independent shops to work on for years, and this is just another step. They were actually sued back in the late 90s because the diagnostic port wasn't OBD2 standard compatible. And again in the early 2000s because generic scan tools couldn't read some of the proprietary codes in the car.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

random logic posted:

I'll second this. My wife drives a E39 525 and I don't regret not getting a V8. The inline six has less niggling maintenance issues. Like the stated cooling and intake hassles.

You can't beat the power of the V8 though. It's basically a matter of whether or not you want to pay a little extra and risk a few extra risks of problems, for more fun and power.

I've driven an E34 525 (192hp), owned an E34 530 (6-cyl, 188hp), and now own an E34 540 (286hp), the power difference is absurd. You'll strain your neck flooring it from a standstill, and even if you're driving 80mph, it rockets forward as you put your foot down. A 525 begins feeling pretty weak already at 60mph, especially if you have the A/C on and a passenger or two, it feels downright slow at higher speeds.

I know a lot of people probably say this and change their minds later as they get power hungry, but I am honestly content with the power of the 540, I can't imagine needing more power for street driving. Coupled with the sweet auto gearbox, good equipment and comfort level, and I'm basically set for a long, long time.

Plus I'll gladly pay a bit extra for the V8 sound, people who say they prefer I6 sound just haven't driven a V8 ;). Although honestly, that's a personal preference.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

peterjmatt posted:

Sorry, the SSS is simply the name of the computer that runs the Progman application. There are no field provisions to actually write code. I don't think you realize just how difficult that would be. I don't have any experience with Carsoft, but I've been told that it does allow car-key memory changes (personalization settings). These changes are very minor, such as turning on day time running lights or deactivating one-touch unlocking.

The basic fact is that when computers fail in the manner that your DSC unit appears to have, they need to be replaced. We can't program them back to life. Now, with more recent cars BMW is still writing new software to address known issues, and sometimes a software update is all that's needed. However we don't create that software in the field, and not every computer problem can be fixed with new code.

And the e30 airbag tool is a single-tasker, not a code reader. It looks like an old 20-pin service light reset tool. I'm sure it either powers or grounds some of the pins on the diagnostic connector, and I'm sure its functionality could be duplicated by someone with a better knowledge of how it works.

And people are emulating BMW diagnostic software and stealing diagnostic tools because buying them legitimately is prohibitively expensive, even for successful specialty shops. A GT1 use to cost a dealership about 17K to replace. I'm not sure what they charged the aftermarket, but I'm sure it was more.

Ehh, I'm afraid you're not reading my posts very carefully, as I have addressed just about everything you said. I am talking about emulating the SSS hardware which is capable of running software that can alter settings and read codes. If Carsoft is able to define personalization settings for things like SRS (which I mentioned myself), you're telling me emulated GT1 is not able to? Fair, however this is contrary to the reading I've been doing. You take it that I want to upload my own homebrew ECU firmware or something? If Carsoft lets me diagnose errors, and tweak personalization settings and GT1 does not, then I think I've found my solution. However I understand that GT1 is significantly more comprehensive than Carsoft and this is why people work so hard to emulate it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I may very well be wrong on this point.

If you read above, you would see that my DSC unit has not actually failed, there is a confounding variable that is resulting in the ABS module sending the signal to lock all the brakes. When ABS/DSC modules fail, they typically go into a fail-safe mode like flublandDrussiavelt's where they just no longer function, and you get a ton of lights on in your dash. In this instance, the ABS module is still coherently readable to those with a device that is capable of doing so (the Porsche shop). Particularly, it was announcing that one of the wheel speed sensors was bad (replaced, did not fix). For this particular task, it would be wonderful if I could read the codes now that the sensor is replaced, however I would be required to bring it to the Porsche shop (who admitted the dealer has a better reader) or the monopoly of the dealer at who knows what cost.

I am aware of exactly what the Peake airbag reset tools are, however I am not aware of one that works for the e30. If you are, can you send me a link? You're still missing the point that I don't particularly care about it anyway, I was only using it as an example to illustrate the potential implications of cars whose computer systems are no longer supported. Fortunately the SRS light has the workaround of pulling the bulb, but e46s in 25 years will not have this luxury for things like ABS etc. I maintain my car as if it will last as long as my 325e.

edit: I found this which seems to work for e30s, however the second post in this thread said

quote:

In '90 and some in '91, BMW didn't bother to route the SRS reset circuit to the diagnostic port in the engine bay. If your car's SRS reset circuit does go to the diagnostic port, then it's a simple reset at the dealer, if not, you need to undo the knee bolster, and expose the SRS computer, and hookup the dealer computer to its connector to reset it. So you'll need to go to the dealer to reset it, I don't believe it's a simple jumpering of pins to reset (as is the SI board), it's more than that.
...which is consistant with what I've read, except that dealers (some/all?) no longer support connecting directly to the SRS computer in e30s anymore. This leaves those with SRS circuits that do not route to the diagnostic port poo poo out of luck.

Pimpsolo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 11, 2009

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Just because you don't get a fault saying "no communication with DSC" doesn't mean the DSC unit hasn't failed. There's no external signal that would cause the brakes to lock on your car- later cars yes, but not an e46. You have either a bad computer or a bad hydraulic unit, with the computer being the far more likely culprit.

I can't direct you to any e30 aftermarket tools. I've only reset one e30 airbag light, and that was with the factory tool. I can't remember whether it was a 90, 91 or 92. I honestly don't work on very many e30s other than my own.

If you have any specific questions about what Progman or DIS can do, I'll do my best to answer as I'm very familiar with the software. I have no personal experience using Carsoft or any other aftermarket computer products.

flublandDrussiavelt
Nov 4, 2009

by Ozma

Pilsner posted:

You can't beat the power of the V8 though. It's basically a matter of whether or not you want to pay a little extra and risk a few extra risks of problems, for more fun and power.

I've driven an E34 525 (192hp), owned an E34 530 (6-cyl, 188hp), and now own an E34 540 (286hp), the power difference is absurd. You'll strain your neck flooring it from a standstill, and even if you're driving 80mph, it rockets forward as you put your foot down. A 525 begins feeling pretty weak already at 60mph, especially if you have the A/C on and a passenger or two, it feels downright slow at higher speeds.

I know a lot of people probably say this and change their minds later as they get power hungry, but I am honestly content with the power of the 540, I can't imagine needing more power for street driving. Coupled with the sweet auto gearbox, good equipment and comfort level, and I'm basically set for a long, long time.

Plus I'll gladly pay a bit extra for the V8 sound, people who say they prefer I6 sound just haven't driven a V8 ;). Although honestly, that's a personal preference.
If you're really reffering to the e34 530i (1993-1995), it had a 215 hp v8, basically a smaller m60 with all the problems and bad economy and less power. Maybe you mean something older like a e12? If you perfer the v8, that is fine, to whoever posted the original request, try driving both and see what you like. Also keep in mind that driving a manual means the car is quicker (and more importantly feels quicker). It's too bad they never had a 530i wagon over here cause the 225hp has just the right amount of power with no sacrifices to fuel economy or reliablity.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

The m60b40 (4.0L) was introduced to e34s in 1993 in the US.

random logic
Oct 19, 2009

Pilsner posted:

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but the E34 M50 525 and the E39 double vanos M52 are completely different animals. While the latter doesn't have the torques of the V8 it is a very smooth livable powerband.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just bought a '92 325i with about a million miles on it. I might have to post a thread as I go through the cleanup.

But one question first, where is the fuel filter located on these early E36s? I think I read somewhere that it's not in the usual location behind a panel under the engine compartment.

One other question, is it normal for these cars to have a clutch safety switch? I can start the car up in gear regardless of whether or not the clutch is engaged.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 12, 2009

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Am literally a gnat's bollock-hair away from purchasing a mid-90's E36 320i for my first car (UK) - I would like to run it by you guys first though, do you have any particularly strong thoughts?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Since I haven't posted it in a while:

CONTENT FROM EARLIER IN THE THREAD:
---------------------------------------------

Sterndotstern posted:

My rule of thumb when considering any used BMW, especially E36s is: tack on no less than $1500 for parts to refresh the car post purchase.

The breakdown is as follows:
- $300 cooling refresh
- $800 shocks/springs/rear strut mounts
- $250 bushings(FCAB, RTAB, transmission)
- $150 alignment

If you go in expecting the $1500 expense, you won't be let down by the car. If you need someone to install all this stuff for you, and aren't willing to pay the additional cost of that, strongly consider another kind of car (Corolla, Civic, etc) that doesn't have the maintenance requirements.

This checklist has proven true on the last 4 BMWs we've owned. They were all >100k mile cars, though. Honestly, though, the checklist would apply to a 75k mi car, too.
Here is Edge Motorworks' (reputable Bay Area independent BMW shop) checklist:

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=55

Sterndotstern posted:

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's hard to justify picking up a 150-200k mileage BMW _if_ there's few or no maintenance records for it. That'd be the problem for me, anyways. Granted, a newer car with fewer miles is no sure deal either. Just fewer records to be missing.

With $2500, you can pretty much address everything that needs addressing: a Bentley manual, cooling, suspension, bushings front and rear, fluids etc. Obviously you need to test drive the car before buying it, but the base mechanicals are really stout. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 15-year-old M3 with 10,000 track miles on it.

I've had a few E36s, and when I buy a car I always do the following: get a history report, get a few good pictures of it. If it's worth seeing, prior to test driving it, inspect the car with a pair of gloves, a jack, and a flashlight. Check for all the common issues underneath the car (leaking/blown dampers, worn bushings, bald/feathered tires, leaks from anywhere). Before you lower it down, wiggle the wheels to feel for play in the balljoints, then check the wheel bearings.

Check for a lip on the outside of brake rotor face with your finger nail -- if there is a lip, the rotors are worn. Then pop the hood. Check the radiator (there should be a sticker with a date on it) & the thermostat housing. Check the radiator overflow tank for coolant level, check powersteering and brake fluid. Check the oil and air filter.

Then drive it and pay attention for any obvious issues with alignment, transmission, and engine. If any E36 - say, a 210k '93 - can get through this inspection, I say buy it.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 12, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

revmoo posted:

Just bought a '92 325i with about a million miles on it. I might have to post a thread as I go through the cleanup.

But one question first, where is the fuel filter located on these early E36s? I think I read somewhere that it's not in the usual location behind a panel under the engine compartment.

One other question, is it normal for these cars to have a clutch safety switch? I can start the car up in gear regardless of whether or not the clutch is engaged.

Forward of where it's located on later cars. Around the steering column area. Have fun.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Forward of where it's located on later cars. Around the steering column area. Have fun.

Can't wait.

Tried repairing my OBC today, and failed. It's got the dead pixel issue where the screen ribbon detaches from the board. Should I get another 11-button unit or should I upgrade to the 18 button? Is it worth it?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

revmoo posted:

Should I get another 11-button unit or should I upgrade to the 18 button? Is it worth it?

I have this same issue with mine. As a follow-up, does the 18-button unit even have the same connecting harness?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Sterndotstern posted:

Since I haven't posted it in a while:

CONTENT FROM EARLIER IN THE THREAD:
---------------------------------------------

Thanks Stern, appreciated. Is a 320 a better choice than the 316/318 as I've been told? (being an I6 that's less likely to have been ragged by teenage knob-heads)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 12, 2009

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

revmoo posted:

High five, high mile '92 325i buddy! Mine doesn't have a clutch interlock either. Having the non-vanos engine is cool, they seem to be more reliable than the vanos versions. Keep in mind that the early '92s have a unique front strut design so if you want to upgrade the suspension at all you'll have to hunt down '92 specific parts or convert to the later strut mounts and struts. I've kept mine stock other than poly bushings all around and new ball joints and sway bar ends. How's your interior?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

We decided to make today BMW Day and collected all the 3's in the driveway for some group shots.

From Left to Right: 1997 E36 318ti (youngest brothers), 1988 E30 325is (my track rat), 1977 E21 320i (my nice car), 1987 E30 325 (other brothers), 1999 E36 M3 (dad's track car). And Dad's new solar setup in the background...was putting out 2300 watts most of the time we were taking photos. We considered putting the R1150RT in front but didn't.
We plan to repeat this in 10 years.

Very worthy of a Roundel or Bimmer magazine entry if not already there.

SPORK08 posted:

In the not so distant future I plan to replace my trusty beat to poo poo 95 civic with an E39 540 wagon. I don't want to spend more than 10k.

Am I a fool for even looking? How's the long term reliability?

Just tell my why I'm an idiot/genius for wanting a 540iT.

An E39 is only an inch or two more roomy inside than an E46, have very few of them available, and have less sources for replacement parts, and the parts will most likely, cost more. I am guessing that the V8 is the real draw here for you. It also carries with it significantly more potential repair costs as well along with I am guessing around 15MPG.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 12, 2009

flublandDrussiavelt
Nov 4, 2009

by Ozma

Keyser S0ze posted:

Very worthy of a Roundel or Bimmer magazine entry if not already there.

An E39 is only an inch or two more roomy inside than an E46, have very few of them available, and have less sources for replacement parts, and the parts will most likely, cost more. I am guessing that the V8 is the real draw here for you. It also carries with it significantly more potential repair costs as well along with I am guessing around 15MPG.

since the e46 and e39 share a lot of parts and share engines, they cost the exact same to maintain (if the engines are both m52/54) and the availability of the parts is exactly the same also. You're not going to find either in the junkyard yet and spares will cost the same for either at a dealer or parts store.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jagtpanther posted:

Is a 320 a better choice

Undoubtedly, especially in the later (94-98) cars. You'll be surfing on waves of torque with the inherent smoothness of a I6 without suffering terribly at the petrol pump.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

flublandDrussiavelt posted:

since the e46 and e39 share a lot of parts and share engines, they cost the exact same to maintain (if the engines are both m52/54) and the availability of the parts is exactly the same also. You're not going to find either in the junkyard yet and spares will cost the same for either at a dealer or parts store.

Undoubtedly that is true for a 325/525 328/528 engine parts. I am going based on the posts I see over at Bimmerfest - I see posts suggesting that the V8 seems to have more maintenance and labor costs involved. In other "availability" terms there are a shitload more E46 325iT's for sale out there than 525/540/528iT's, especially 540's - so the chances of getting the color/transmission/etc that you want will be quite a bit higher with an E46 .

Would you recommend a 540iT over a well sorted 525iT or even an older 528iT given the OP's budget concerns?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

I didn't know where else to post this, but I figure it's got a good home here.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

McMadCow posted:

I have this same issue with mine. As a follow-up, does the 18-button unit even have the same connecting harness?

I, too, had the same problem but with my 18 button unit. It was replaced by the previous owner - basically new when I got the car in 2006 - and completely unreadable a couple months ago, having loving failed again. Rather than buy a new lovely BMW part (they seem unable / unwilling to fix this issue, even after it has been well known all these years) for a billion dollars, I sent it out to a guy in Germany who repairs them in some magic way so that they don't go bad again. He claims not a single one has come back after 9 years of doing this, and has many glowing reviews online. I got it back last month, and it works and looks like it's brand new. Total cost to me was about 138 euros, incl shipping from Germany - MUCH cheaper than a new MID from BMW. Turnaround time was somewhere between 3 - 4 weeks.

PM email me through my profile for his contact info, if you want it.

No clue if the harness is the same as the 11 button though.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 13, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Whitey Ford posted:

I didn't know where else to post this, but I figure it's got a good home here.

What? Hyundai? working on a BMW V10?

flublandDrussiavelt
Nov 4, 2009

by Ozma

Keyser S0ze posted:

Undoubtedly that is true for a 325/525 328/528 engine parts. I am going based on the posts I see over at Bimmerfest - I see posts suggesting that the V8 seems to have more maintenance and labor costs involved. In other "availability" terms there are a shitload more E46 325iT's for sale out there than 525/540/528iT's, especially 540's - so the chances of getting the color/transmission/etc that you want will be quite a bit higher with an E46 .

Would you recommend a 540iT over a well sorted 525iT or even an older 528iT given the OP's budget concerns?
I probably wouldn't recommend it unless his heart was set on it. But then compare the 540i to other 5 serieses, because an e46 isn't going to be cheaper to maintain or to buy for that matter than an equivalent e39. I think we addressed the differences between the v8 and the I6: cooling system, cats, fuel economy. By the way, the cooling system in the newer models 2001+ is not as flaky: they replaced the plastic impeller in the waterpump with a metal one so it doesn't need to be replaced.

edit: i mean replaced as often or worry about spontaneous failure

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Keyser S0ze posted:

An E39 is only an inch or two more roomy inside than an E46

Really? I was thinking my next step up would be an E39, either a M5 if I can afford it or a 530i if I can't, post-facelift. Obviously the M5 would be a notable difference from my 325i, but would the lower model?

Also, from the teaser Top Gear just posted:

That's right, the big 7 takes on the test track against it's Mercedes competition.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 13, 2009

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wolrah posted:

Really? I was thinking my next step up would be an E39, either a M5 if I can afford it or a 530i if I can't, post-facelift. Obviously the M5 would be a notable difference from my 325i, but would the lower-end model?

That's right, the big 7 takes on the test track against it's Mercedes competition.

I can't tell, is that the V12 one?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Pimpsolo posted:

Diagnostic computer stuff

I'm going to give this a shot. I don't have any problems to fix with it, but it would be really cool just to make it work. I'll let you know what I find out.

EDIT: Okay well the software part was trivially easy and seems to be working correctly. I'll try hacking together a cable for it and see if I can actually make it work. Only thing I'm really interested in is GT1/DIS whatever.

EDIT2: Well this thing is way too awesome for words. Pretty much every piece of technical info possible for every BMW car, computer diagnostics, coding, resets, personalization, etc. If every other manufacturer doesn't use something like this, they are thoroughly retarded.

There's also some interesting information on here about their warranty procedure and stuff too. Like the fact that if you have one blown shock on your 325i, they will only replace the bad one. If that happens on an M car, they replace both even if the other is good.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Really? I was thinking my next step up would be an E39, either a M5 if I can afford it or a 530i if I can't, post-facelift. Obviously the M5 would be a notable difference from my 325i, but would the lower model?

E46/4:

Interior
Front Head Room: 38.4 in. Front Shoulder Room: 54.4 in.
Rear Head Room: 37.5 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 54.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.4 in. Rear Leg Room: 34.6 in.
Luggage Capacity: 10.7 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

so yeah, it IS bigger, but we're talking fractions of inches. I'd get the E39.

E39:
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Shoulder Room: 56.8 in.
Rear Head Room: 37.8 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 55.9 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.7 in. Rear Leg Room: 34.2 in.
Luggage Capacity: 11.1 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228971&highlight=E39