Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This may be a dumb question, but it's a big thread and I didn't see anything about it in the OP:

A bunch of my folders/files are locked and I have to manually and individually unlock them. Specifically most of the stuff in my WoW folders. How do I unlock them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

Didn't see anyone post about this one yet, but I really love the Calculator Powertoy for Windows XP. Best calculator ever conceived for an OS.

Click here for the full 760x512 image.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and the best I can do right now is to load up a Virtual XP window to use it (which is overkill). The Win 7 calculator is just no match for the powertoys calculator.

Anyone found something equivalent or maybe know of a hack to get it to install and run with Win 7 (other than Virtual XP)?

It can still actually install (if you can extract powercalc.exe from the installer MSI that's all you need), but it needs UAC off or it will prompt you every time it runs. I used it in Vista, but I grew tired of its need to access the registry or whatever it was, and I'm now using Speedcrunch. It's about as fast and at least as capable, although it doesn't do graphs (for that I have Matlab).

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody have any recommended widgets?

full of bees
Aug 22, 2007
You can quickly invert all colours on screen by hitting Winkey and + to start the zoom and going to options -> "Turn on colour inversion" and then zooming back out.

I just noticed this and I'm finding it nice for reading long pages of black text on bright white backgrounds.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm attempting to upgrade my Dell XPS M1530 laptop from Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Windows 7 Home 32 bit and during the installation I get an error during the third phase (expanding Windows files) just after the first reboot. The error message in setuperr.log is:

2009-11-11 13:43:14, Error [0x06413c] IBSLIB FindVolume: Unable to find volume marked as [$Setup_InstallVolume$][gle=0x00000002]
2009-11-11 13:43:14, Error [0x064225] IBSLIB FindVolume: Failed while looking for [$Setup_InstallVolume$]; hr = 0x80070490.[gle=0x00000002]

Any ideas on what could be going wrong? I'm trying to install from a downloaded copy I purchased from the Microsoft website. The compatibility advisor doesn't flag up any issues with my computer upgrading.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 11, 2009

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

89 posted:

Anybody have any recommended widgets?

I like the utorrent widget and the piglet widget for pidgin.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I have Home Premium on my desktop and Vista Home Premium on a laptop.

I'm able to get a copy of Professional through the student pricing plan, but I want to put Pro on my desktop and put Home Premium on the laptop. Is there any way to do this without reinstalling everything I've loaded onto my desktop? If it can't be done it's not a huge thing but it'd save me an hour or two re-installing stuff.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
My Win 7 64bit install crashes maybe 2-3 times a week, sometimes repeatedly after a reboot. Crashes are horrible bluescreens and explorer.exe crashes. It always asks me to check for a solution online, but when I click it, nothing happens (I understand why MS wouldn't want it to display something to the effect of "we couldnt find a solution to your problem")

Memtest passes all day long. No crashes when running 3dmark vantage, so I'm not sure if its load related or not. I have the latest BIOS for my mobo, Gigabyte P55M-UD2. Video vard is a fanless ATI 4850 using driver 8.632.1.2000. It seems that all relevant windows updates are installed, except for one that seemed to break my ethernet, a realtek driver update.

I have not manually installed any drivers, and HW temps seem to be good to go, which seems to indicate that this is not a HW problem, but a Win 7 one.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can diagnose this issue?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

dhrusis posted:

It seems that all relevant windows updates are installed, except for one that seemed to break my ethernet, a realtek driver update.

I don't have a solution to your problem but I had what's probably the same exact issue with a Realtek NIC driver. I'm on a Gigabyte main board as well. Ran updates & lost ethernet, so I rolled back the drivers, rebooted, Windows wanted to update again so I let it, and this time everything went OK. Rolling back drivers *could* be worth a try, but I'm not an expert on these matters, the Realtek thing just jumped out at me as a similar problem.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I feel dumb as a rock. I put off buying the family pack for too long and now it's doubled in price to almost $300.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Two weird sleep issues I've run into recently:

1) Whenever I sleep my computer and eventually wake it back up, the secondary monitor is the only one that is detected. I have to then go to right click Desktop»Screen Resolution and hit "Detect" in there for my main monitor to show up. I don't know if this is related to S3 sleep settings or related to which DVI port each one is plugged into on my Nvidia GeForce 8800GS. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? The primary monitor is a 20" Dell 2001FP and the secondary is a Dell 1800FP. Neither of them have Win7-specific drivers, so they run as Generic PnP monitors in my 7x64 Device Manager.

2) Last night I put the computer in sleep so I could take care of some stuff in the morning. I assume it's hybrid sleep where the data gets stored to the drive like Hibernation, but the computer then enters a low power state instead. I left it like that and went to bed, thinking it was fine. I saw that it had updates waiting to install since this was Patch Tuesday, but I didn't want to deal with it right then and lose my work.

When I came to the computer this morning, it was sitting on the login scren as if I'd rebooted the thing. Turns out, the computer brought itself out of sleep mode just to install the drivers AND force a reboot just a few hours after I'd put it to sleep. I know that systems would force a reboot after patches are installed if the user didn't keep deferring the forced reboot, but this is ridiculous. Did this happen to anyone else? I've since switched it to "Download but let me choose when to install updates" like I used to have it on XP. It was on "install automatically" at 3am, which explains part of this.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

moolchaba posted:

Everyone (minus you) knows about powertoy apps for XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

I know all about powertoys. I used TweakUI all the time. The calculator still looks like poo poo.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

darnzen posted:

Am I missing something? I'm running at the default UAC settings so its no big deal, just seems retarded.

If I'm reading your post correctly, then what you need to do is run as the admin account you created (i.e., not the default "Administrator" one, though you shouldn't be able to access that one outside safe mode anyway). It'll still throw up the UAC prompts as configured.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dhrusis posted:

My Win 7 64bit install crashes maybe 2-3 times a week, sometimes repeatedly after a reboot. Crashes are horrible bluescreens and explorer.exe crashes. It always asks me to check for a solution online, but when I click it, nothing happens (I understand why MS wouldn't want it to display something to the effect of "we couldnt find a solution to your problem")

Memtest passes all day long. No crashes when running 3dmark vantage, so I'm not sure if its load related or not. I have the latest BIOS for my mobo, Gigabyte P55M-UD2. Video vard is a fanless ATI 4850 using driver 8.632.1.2000. It seems that all relevant windows updates are installed, except for one that seemed to break my ethernet, a realtek driver update.

I have not manually installed any drivers, and HW temps seem to be good to go, which seems to indicate that this is not a HW problem, but a Win 7 one.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can diagnose this issue?

I am having this exact problem with a completely different set of hardware. It seems to happen when I am doing something light like browsing the internet or streaming video to my ps3, I play games on it pretty regularly with no issues.

It is an HP laptop with the Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 at 2.13Ghz with an NVidia GeForce GT 130M and 4 gigs of ram. All of my drivers are up to date.

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

Codiusprime posted:

I am having this exact problem with a completely different set of hardware. It seems to happen when I am doing something light like browsing the internet or streaming video to my ps3, I play games on it pretty regularly with no issues.

It is an HP laptop with the Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 at 2.13Ghz with an NVidia GeForce GT 130M and 4 gigs of ram. All of my drivers are up to date.

The event log should give some information on the errors that are occuring. CAn you post those details here?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
This is driving me nuts. I'm in the middle of installing the 64 bit version of 7 and the product key they've given me seems to be too short at only 22 digits/letters. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Benagain posted:

This is driving me nuts. I'm in the middle of installing the 64 bit version of 7 and the product key they've given me seems to be too short at only 22 digits/letters. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Where did you get this key?

The only thing like it I've heard about is upgrade codes that PC manufacturers give to people who bought a PC pre-installed with Vista with the 7 upgrade plan. The code itself is not a valid product key and must be given to the PC manufacturer to get a valid key.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

stedd posted:

The event log should give some information on the errors that are occuring. CAn you post those details here?

Here's an example:

code:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: svchost.exe_SSDPSRV
P2: 6.1.7600.16385
P3: 4a5bc3c1
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 6.1.7600.16385
P6: 4a5be02b
P7: c0000005
P8: 000000000005046a
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER901E.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER902F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9030.tmp.hdmp
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\WER910B.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_svchost.exe_SSDP_efc772b5a6674e8ababcc6d293e7e440a6f884a9_cab_07b79195

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 97050dc7-ceca-11de-a49f-00241dd94b9d
Report Status: 0
and

code:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_SSDPSRV, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc3c1
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005046a
Faulting process id: 0x5a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca62d467b9e11f
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 97050dc7-ceca-11de-a49f-00241dd94b9d

coldsnap
Jun 28, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Ugh, I feel dumb as a rock. I put off buying the family pack for too long and now it's doubled in price to almost $300.

Still $150 at Newegg, just checked.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I heard a while back that getting a CRT to work properly (able to freely switch between all monitor-capable resolutions and refresh rates) with Windows 7 was really tough.

Does this issue still exist or has it been fixed?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

GreatGreen posted:

I heard a while back that getting a CRT to work properly (able to freely switch between all monitor-capable resolutions and refresh rates) with Windows 7 was really tough.

Does this issue still exist or has it been fixed?

Why would this be an issue?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

c0burn posted:

Why would this be an issue?

Are you asking "why do you think this problem exists?" or "why do you care?"

If it's the former, it's because I've heard a few people mention it a while back and I was wondering if the issue has been fixed by now. If it's the latter, it's because I use a Sony FW-900 23-inch 16:10 CRT monitor (that destroys every LCD monitor ever made), and I want to know if Windows 7 will play nice with it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 11, 2009

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GreatGreen posted:

(that destroys every LCD monitor ever made)

In the category of "leaves most free desk space", your monitor is the one being destroyed, sir. :D

Dominoes posted:

Subtle advantage of Windows 7 over Vista: If you switch audio devices, (or just turn an HDMI-connected receiver on/off) you don't need to restart running applications for them to use the new device.

Yes, this is awesome and it makes Soundswitch ever much more useful.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

In the category of "leaves most free desk space", your monitor is the one being destroyed, sir. :D

Touche. :golfclap:

But seriously, has this been fixed yet? Anybody with Windows 7 and a CRT in the house?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I can't imagine why it would be a problem.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

GreatGreen posted:

But seriously, has this been fixed yet? Anybody with Windows 7 and a CRT in the house?

I don't even know where I could find a CRT anymore, much less have one to test with. But I can't imagine it being a problem anymore.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

GreatGreen posted:

My LaCie electron blue seems to be fine. No problems here.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I checked around on google, and it seems the problem was that people couldn't get their monitors to refresh at a rate higher than 85Hz, despite easily being able to go higher in XP and Vista.

Not sure if it's fixed, as I only found the complaints... and most people only bother to write about stuff when it's a problem and not when it's fixed.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

GreatGreen posted:

I've been using a CRT on one of my computers that;'s been on everything from 7 beta build 6801 to the RTM, no issues. It's an NEC AccuSync 700 from like 1999.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Does anyone know of a useful remote desktop solution I can use that will activate UAC prompts? I don't want to turn it off, but if I set winrar.exe to have administrative privileges, everytime I try to extract something remotely I get a UAC prompt that won't let me click yes or no over VNC (I tried UltraVNC and RealVNC). I used Remote Desktop with the RC but I installed the Home Premium so that's not an option anymore. This is my first time using VNC so I might be missing something stupid. RDP is fantastic so if nothing else I guess I'll be upgrading again.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Ariza posted:

Does anyone know of a useful remote desktop solution I can use that will activate UAC prompts? I don't want to turn it off, but if I set winrar.exe to have administrative privileges, everytime I try to extract something remotely I get a UAC prompt that won't let me click yes or no over VNC (I tried UltraVNC and RealVNC). I used Remote Desktop with the RC but I installed the Home Premium so that's not an option anymore. This is my first time using VNC so I might be missing something stupid. RDP is fantastic so if nothing else I guess I'll be upgrading again.

Have you tried Windows Live Mesh Remote Desktop (https://www.mesh.com/Welcome/features/features.aspx#6)? I have not used it personally, but my understanding is that it uses RDP and can run from versions of Windows that do not have RDP built in.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ariza posted:

There's hacks out there to enable RDP on Home Premium. I've never needed them but I'm sure Google will help you find them.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

Thermopyle posted:

Soundswitch

Thanks! I asked about something like this a few pages back and no one had any recs. This will be great.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
nevermind, solved it. I am an idiot but also a genius at times.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PopeOnARope posted:

Welp, you just made my life easier.

yeah seriously

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 14, 2013

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Dickeye posted:

yeah seriously
I think the only issue I had with the ninite installer was Winamp. I wanted the fancy Bento Modern skin, but it understandable would only install with the minimal classic skin, which looks so dated to me now. So I reinstalled Winamp separately.

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

dhrusis posted:

Here's an example:
SSDP svchost stuff

SSDP seems to be a service to discover UPnP devices, and it's failing with an AV. If you're not using UPnP for anything, you can try disabling the service in Computer Management. The full service name seems to be "SSDP Discovery"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ariza posted:

win7 -> win7 (RC) RDP works fine for UAC prompts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

NFX posted:

It can still actually install (if you can extract powercalc.exe from the installer MSI that's all you need), but it needs UAC off or it will prompt you every time it runs. I used it in Vista, but I grew tired of its need to access the registry or whatever it was, and I'm now using Speedcrunch. It's about as fast and at least as capable, although it doesn't do graphs (for that I have Matlab).

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying out speedcrunch. Sadly, you can't copy out your formulas or results from the history as easily as you can in PowerCalc.

I was able to install powertoy calc but it wouldn't run on win7 64bit. Kept bringing up that compatibility warning.