Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
LOL name change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.
We're going to use "I Saw Her Standing There" as our first dance. We're both Beatles fans, and went to the McCartney concert in July at the New Shea (CitiField or whatever the hell they're calling it). In fact, we're probably going to have a bunch of Beatles music going on during our wedding day. There's a lot of really sweet and romantic music from them, so we'll have a bunch to play with.

I keep pondering what to do about the walking down the aisle stuff. I've kind of been pondering having the organist do some sort of classical, and weave in some more contemporary music in for his mom, my mom, each of the girls, and me. Who knows. We'll see what we actually come up with.

Apparently at my uncle's wedding, they had some classical something with the Beer Barrel Polka underneath. (We're Polish.) I was a few years from existence still, so I didn't get to hear it, but they still talk about it.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
For our walk down the aisle we're doing Annie's Song by John Denver, played by my cousin on violin and a friend on guitar.

For our first dance we're still undecided. It's down to "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits or "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths. The Smiths song is something we used to listen to all the time when we very first started dating (a long time ago!) and we both like Dire Straits so it's going to be a tough choice. We're doing an ipod playlist for our reception so we're actually picking every single song that gets played so that's been a bit of a task. I've been writing down every single song I even thought might work in a notebook for months because I want there to be some songs that aren't something most people would think of.

Only 327 days to go! I'm really exciting about that getting down to 180. That's when the real fun starts... invitations, honeymoon reservations, etc.

Does anybody have any advice about Savannah, GA for honeymooning? We're going camping on Cumberland Island, GA for 3-4 nights and then plan on staying in Savannah for a couple of nights before coming home. We've never been to Georgia and I'm doing a bunch of research on stuff we might like (haunted pub crawl, museums, restaurants, etc.) but anybody from the area or who has been there who has recommendations, particularly for a nice romantic restaurant that's not going to cost us more than $75-$100 for two? We're thinking of staying at the Hamilton-Turner Inn, which seemed both gorgeous, reasonably priced, and also possibly haunted.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Nione posted:

Does anybody have any advice about Savannah, GA for honeymooning? We're going camping on Cumberland Island, GA for 3-4 nights and then plan on staying in Savannah for a couple of nights before coming home. We've never been to Georgia and I'm doing a bunch of research on stuff we might like (haunted pub crawl, museums, restaurants, etc.) but anybody from the area or who has been there who has recommendations, particularly for a nice romantic restaurant that's not going to cost us more than $75-$100 for two? We're thinking of staying at the Hamilton-Turner Inn, which seemed both gorgeous, reasonably priced, and also possibly haunted.

Hey, that's where I live. :) The haunted pub crawl is a lot of fun, especially if you haven't done a ghost tour before. There's endless tourist-y stuff to do downtown. You can spend the day just wandering around City Market, Broughton St and River St and have a nice time. A nice restaurant we would recommend is Tangerine. It's in South Side so about 20 minutes from downtown but it's new and this place is awesome. Very nice atmosphere, great service, amazing food and cocktails.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Nione posted:

"There is a Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths.

Hah, if I ever marry my boyfriend, the first dance song would be a close tie between this and Speedway by Morrissey.

One of my cousins ran off to Vegas to get married and apparently danced with his new wife to Avalanche by Leonard Cohen. Gloom and doom are in our genes!

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

demozthenes posted:

Hah, if I ever marry my boyfriend, the first dance song would be a close tie between this and Speedway by Morrissey.

I tried to convince someone that wanting "to die by your side" is actually really romantic. Plus it's not like our elderly relatives are going to be paying that much attention to the lyrics anyway!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Our first dance was "All Mine" by Portishead. It was one of her favorite songs, and it worked for us. It's slow too, so dancing to it was easy. We ended our reception with Freebird. Which was awesome in it's own way.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.

Nione posted:

Whenever I go down to Savannah, I have to go to the Tea Room downtown. Great food and tea in a nice atmosphere. Dunno how much your guy would like it, but all the women I've taken there love it.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

maso posted:

Hey, that's where I live. :) The haunted pub crawl is a lot of fun, especially if you haven't done a ghost tour before. There's endless tourist-y stuff to do downtown. You can spend the day just wandering around City Market, Broughton St and River St and have a nice time. A nice restaurant we would recommend is Tangerine. It's in South Side so about 20 minutes from downtown but it's new and this place is awesome. Very nice atmosphere, great service, amazing food and cocktails.

Maso, is there anything we need to see between St. Mary's and Savannah? I'm not dragging him to 20 plantation homes or anything like that, but I thought I'd ask. Also, could you recommend someplace where we can go, maybe on Tybee or another island, where you can walk up to a place from the beach and sit and drink beer and eat shrimp that came out of the ocean that day? With live music?

Also, can we borrow a beezer for our honeymoon? We'll take the little one. We need a bat dog to scare off the armadillos and alligators on Cumberland. Thanks!

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Nione posted:

Maso, is there anything we need to see between St. Mary's and Savannah? I'm not dragging him to 20 plantation homes or anything like that, but I thought I'd ask. Also, could you recommend someplace where we can go, maybe on Tybee or another island, where you can walk up to a place from the beach and sit and drink beer and eat shrimp that came out of the ocean that day? With live music?

Also, can we borrow a beezer for our honeymoon? We'll take the little one. We need a bat dog to scare off the armadillos and alligators on Cumberland. Thanks!

Not much I would really recommend between St Mary's and here. Brunswick is worthless. Jekyll Island is okay but out of the way and it's unfortunately not really beach weather these days. The only place that used to fit that beachy description you're looking for was the North Beach Grill, which got shittier and shittier, finally lost their liquor license, and last I heard it closed. Fanny's on the beach is almost on the beach, it's across the parking lot. They have decent enough beach food and drinks. AJ's is on another corner of the island, a little hidden away, they have pretty good seafood. Live music is easier to find during tourist season, but I'm sure if you look online you can find something. Bubba's has live music weekly but that's in Thunderbolt and not what you're looking for, I don't think. Cafe Loco's has always had good fresh seafood but I'll be damned if it isn't the worst service anywhere. SO slow and they don't check back on your drinks or whatever. You're better off going to AJ's or Fannie's. Spanky's is right by Fannie's on the beach there, that place is okay too. There is a place on Tybee called the Hunter House, if you're looking for a really nice dinner and are willing to spend $80-$100 the place is SO worth it. Feel free to PM me if you need any piddly details on this or that.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I figured this would be a good place to ask. What do you guys look for when you're searching for a photographer? What kind of promotional materials catch your eye; what horrible cheesy things do you hate?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

nonanone posted:

I figured this would be a good place to ask. What do you guys look for when you're searching for a photographer? What kind of promotional materials catch your eye; what horrible cheesy things do you hate?

I just looked for a style that meshed with me and my fiance. I really hate stiff portraits, and wanted a lot of dynamic pictures, so that's what I looked for. I liked looking at photographers side projects to get an idea what working with them would be like. For instance, the photographer we went with offered "Trash the Dress" sessions where the bride took pictures in her dress after the wedding in weird situations - rolling around the beach, in a pool, etc. He also took photos for MMA events in the area. I figured he'd be a lot of fun to work with, and he was.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

nonanone posted:

What you look for partially depends on your style, as was mentioned, you can love or hate posed portraits or want a more photojournalistic style. Once you decide on that, then you should ask the photographers to see an entire set from any wedding they've done. Don't just settle for the pictures they want to show you, you need to look at the whole, especially if you like a more photojournalistic, storybook flow to your pictures. Also, if you see an entire set, it's less likely that they've taken out the examples of their sub-par work.

Once you're set on a style, then there are a couple things I look for that I think are telling of the skill of a photographer. First, their shots should be focused/crisp (seriously, one guy had an unfocused macro shot on his homepage, ugh) and colors should be bright but not funny looking (oversaturated or washed out). Do they take good macro shots? How are their indoor shots? It's easy to take good pics in outdoor lighting as long as the sun isn't in the way, but it's a lot harder to take good indoor shots. Though using a flash is not automatically bad, a photographer that gets indoor shots without a lot of flash knows what they're doing and will produce more natural shots. I hate the flashed-out look.

Also, I am skeptical of photographers that turn everything into black and white. Yes, you can argue it's artistic, but if most of the shots are B&W, I start to wonder if they just can't work with lighting and get natural coloring. I've fixed many a bad pic by making them B&W.

I also personally like photographers that don't just take straight pics of people all day long. I want creative pics of rings/setting/the scenery. I want candid pics of people, but I know that posed pics are important (to my parents) and so I ask if the photographer can get people to look natural (or creatively posed).

I could go on because photography is important to me and I gave this a lot of thought. Of course it all means nothing when your carefully chosen photographers just stop returning your calls and emails and you realize that you'll probably end up going with some studio that just cares about money because all the good ones are taken by now. :sad:

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
I know that this isn't really the proper place for this, so I'll keep it short. We had a special order lot of estate engagement rings go unclaimed. I wanted to put them here at a discount in case anyone was in the market for a petite diamond ring. These aren't the types of rings that we sell in our webstore so if I'm going to send them to the wholesalers I might as well offer a goon a good deal for Christmas.

.33 carat round .40 carat princess .40 carat round

These diamonds are well cut and would each make a pretty engagement ring. Each ring is set in 14 karat gold.

The last buyer paid $800 each but if anyone on SA would like one they would be $500 each. I will give a discount if anyone wants to purchase all three. For this price I won't handle resizing or polishing up the rings, but any local jeweler can handle those services.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Did anyone not wear a wedding dress in lily-white? I have always had sallow toned skin so white makes me look kind of sickly. :( I must have glanced in the wrong store because it seemed like the only other options they had came in baby pink, which I dislike even more than white.

I found this in a google image search. I think it's beautiful, unique, and non-traditional. Too wacky tacky?

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 7, 2009

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Did anyone not wear a wedding dress in lily-white? I have always had sallow toned skin so white makes me look kind of sickly. :( I must have glanced in the wrong store because it seemed like the only other options they had came in baby pink, which I dislike even more than white.

I found this in a google image search. I think it's beautiful, unique, and non-traditional. Too wacky tacky?

Honestly, it looks like a prom dress, not something you'd get married in.

My dress was ivory, because I also get very washed out by pure white. A lot of dresses can also be ordered in champagne, which gives you a classic look without the pure white. The store may not have it stocked in the other color, so don't be afraid to ask.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I think it's pretty, but those are tough colors to pull off, both with the theme of your wedding and with whatever your hair and skin tone is. That girl's got the right look for it and I'm guessing she pulled together her wedding around those colors, but if you don't totally commit to a dress like that it just looks out of place.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Agreeing with Rootbeer Baron. That's a dress that needs to be the centerpiece of the whole wedding planning. However, a dress like that in a single color would be nice, but still if the theme of the wedding fits the color.

I am very pale skinned, and white makes me look even paler. The dress I picked out is a ivory white and looks much better than plain white and would recommend it or champagne for any other pale-skinned or sallow-skinned brides. Also keep in mind that a trend these days is to add a splash of color through sashes to the white dresses.

On top of all this, though, remember this most of all. It's your day. You love that dress, you get that dress (or something similar) and never regret wearing it for your special day :) Screw what anyone else has to say about it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I also wore champagne and ivory because I don't do pure white. My dress was ivory with champagne overlay, and it really worked well for me (super pale skinned here).

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My wife went non-traditional, and wore this:

White looks bad on so many people, it's a shame that's all everyone wears.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Both of these nontraditional dresses are gorgeous. That's my two cents. I look jaundiced in any shade lighter than a medium beige, and hate most white on general principle, and have no intention of wearing any shade of white, no matter what anyone says. I think the boy has aspirations of either a nice suit with a hawaiian shirt underneath, or an orange suit. So if we're going to break tradition, we'll do it together!

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

gninjagnome posted:

My wife went non-traditional, and wore this:

White looks bad on so many people, it's a shame that's all everyone wears.

That is absolutely beautiful! Lucky man :)

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Offbeat Bride was mentioned earlier in here, and I love it. There's more than just the featured content in the forums (you have to register to read and the registration form looks imposing, but the information there is used for your profile; I guess they just wanted more complete profiles). I didn't like wedding traditions and this made me feel a lot better. A lot of people on there are loving nuts and have horrible tastes/family/issues/everything but there's a lot of good sources on there.

I guess I've been there too much because seeing a question on whether white is mandatory seems silly at this point. :shobon:

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Yeah, I'm not wearing white. I found a person on etsy who makes tulle skirts and I'm going to order one in layers of garnet, burnt orange, and gold (it's a fall theme). I think I'm going to just buy a matching top, probably in red or gold, and wear it with the skirt. I just don't see the point of a white dress, you'll never ever in your entire life have a need to wear a giant white dress again, and how many other clothes do you buy just to wear one time and then throw away? At least with a skirt and top I can mix it up and wear the pieces separately again.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
I am a pale freckled redhead. Mine was "light gold".

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Since we're still on the dress topic & I never posted a bridal shot....

I have very fair skin with lots of pink undertones & red hair. My dress was ivory & looked great against my skin.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

My pics are a couple pages back but mine was "champagne."

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Here's my ivory with champagne trim:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Sorry to break up the talk of these (very beautiful) dresses, but I was hoping to ask a question!

I'm planning to propose in a month - December 11th. And I'm looking for a ring.

I've been looking at https://www.diamondseverlasting.com, Amazon, and a few other places. Right now I'm on Amazon and looking at one thing in particular.

quote:

Two pear-cut sapphires totaling approximately 1/3 carat total gem weight are prong-set, one on each side of the center stone in this beautiful setting. They are a rich, deep blue color with nice sparkle, and provide a vibrant contrast to the center diamond. The curved end of the pear shape is set next to the center stone, with the point of the teardrop shape meeting the band. The band tapers in slightly where it joins the V-shaped prong that holds and protects the point of the sapphire, then widens towards the back of the finger. The top of the 1.4 mm thick by 2.4 mm wide band is softly domed, and the entire setting is polished to a mirror bright finish. The beautiful blue of the sapphires makes a sophisticated accent for the center diamond.

This setting is made of 14 karat yellow gold, which is a popular and durable precious metal for jewelry. Yellow gold has been a classic choice for many generations of diamond rings, and 14k has a wonderful luster combined with great value. 14k gold is 58.3% pure 24 karat gold, with the remaining percentage usually being alloy metals of silver, copper, nickel, and zinc. The alloys add strength to the pure gold, which would be too soft for everyday wear on its own. 14k yellow gold is very well-suited for a ring that will be worn everyday. As a precious metal, it will naturally patina, or scratch lightly on the surface, but the original bright polished luster can be maintained through an occasional cleaning and polishing.

The gem itself is a Very Good, .9 ct, Excellent Symmetry/Polish, G, SI1 type. The whole thing comes to ~$3700 -- a bit higher than I was expecting, but I like it all.

The thing I'm hesitant about is the ring itself. She loves 14k Yellow Gold, but Amazon only has this particular setting in her size (5), and the other attractive settings are sized at 7.75 or higher.

So, I have to ask - is this tacky? The sapphires, that is. A deep blue is her favorite color, but non-diamond gemstones may be a faux pas or something.

Also, this is a picture of us because it might help with her skin tone (?) and also because I like to show people my beautiful girlfriend.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If she loves sapphire, then I think it's a great idea. A touch of traditional, a touch of non-traditional. :)

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

That is a beautiful ring. The colors are lovely, the setting is beautiful, and if she likes 14 karat gold and deep blue, I'm sure she'll love it.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I'm thinking of picking up this ring from an estate antique dealer. What do you all thing?

European round .55ct center diamond VS1 H color (10 small diamonds on the band) and platinum band. They want $2200.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm thinking of picking up this ring from an estate antique dealer. What do you all thing?

It's a fair price for a pretty ring. Ask them who originally made the ring and if it is an original estate piece or a more modern reproduction. If its an original then the price is excellent, if a reproduction then the price is fair.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Omits-Bagels posted:

I have a bias because I love all estate jewelry in that style but I'm inclined to say that's a really pretty ring.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Skychrono posted:

The gem itself is a Very Good, .9 ct, Excellent Symmetry/Polish, G, SI1 type. The whole thing comes to ~$3700 -- a bit higher than I was expecting, but I like it all.

The thing I'm hesitant about is the ring itself. She loves 14k Yellow Gold, but Amazon only has this particular setting in her size (5), and the other attractive settings are sized at 7.75 or higher.

Don't sweat the colors and her skin tone. Yellow gold will look great, and the sapphires provide a great contrast. The three stone sapphire/diamond look is a very popular style so it won't look out of place.

I've never heard of diamondeverlasting or seen any of their advertising. Their educational videos look pretty low rent, and I have some serious complaints about the "diamond clarity hoax" the owner mentions in this video. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2913873/5_keys_to_know_when_buying_engagement_ring/

The diamond sounds like a nice stone, and the price isn't in the realm of obscenity. Though, is the diamond certified? The issuing laboratory often makes a very large difference in the accuracy of the grading (and therefore price).

Aidrocsid
Jan 15, 2006

We're out of mustard.
I got engaged about 5 years ago. The ring I bought had 6 small diamonds around a band with little ~ looking engravings on the outside and "kalliste" engraved on the inside. The guy gave me a good deal on it, $200, it was beautiful, she loved it. A couple months later she had an abortion, which hosed us both up, and left me for my room mate, who she later proposed to and married. She offered to give me the ring back but I told her it was hers to do whatever she wanted with. Eventually she threw it out a car window, then tried to find it but couldn't.

Funny thing is, I'm gonna buy her another one. Totally worth it. :D

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

JohnnyRnR posted:

Don't sweat the colors and her skin tone. Yellow gold will look great, and the sapphires provide a great contrast. The three stone sapphire/diamond look is a very popular style so it won't look out of place.

The diamond sounds like a nice stone, and the price isn't in the realm of obscenity. Though, is the diamond certified? The issuing laboratory often makes a very large difference in the accuracy of the grading (and therefore price).

Excellent, thank you.

Yes, it comes with a GIA certificate, which seems to be a standard from what I've seen.

Aidrocsid posted:

I got engaged about 5 years ago. The ring I bought had 6 small diamonds around a band with little ~ looking engravings on the outside and "kalliste" engraved on the inside. The guy gave me a good deal on it, $200, it was beautiful, she loved it. A couple months later she had an abortion, which hosed us both up, and left me for my room mate, who she later proposed to and married. She offered to give me the ring back but I told her it was hers to do whatever she wanted with. Eventually she threw it out a car window, then tried to find it but couldn't.

Huh.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Omits-Bagels posted:

European round .55ct center diamond VS1 H color (10 small diamonds on the band) and platinum band. They want $2200.

I don't know anything about fairness of price, but that is a beautiful ring.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Aidrocsid posted:

Sounds like a keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Skychrono posted:

non-diamond gemstones may be a faux pas or something.

Sapphires used to be the traditional engagement stone before diamonds! Sapphires are very hard wearing, and will last the rest of her life and then some. Personally, I LOVE the diamond sapphire combination, my own engagement ring was three large, dark sapphires with diamond dust on the band. Good luck!